What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@annabell1 - the way I find my last post is click on my user name then select posts then replies. Your latest post is at the top. It also tells you where you posted. @DJC3 - I do hope the cough was just a cough. @PenguinMum - fingers crossed you get your appointments soon.
Tuesday bed 6.4 FBG 6.6.

B. TAG. I'd run out of SLC bread so I had a SLC roll instead with melted edam on it.
L. Off to physio minus the snow and ice and the sun came out.
D. Lemon sole with a lemon and parsley butter. Another Iceland broccoli/cauliflower thing. 2 squares 85% and yes a Lidl Active lolly.

I have to say having been out at the Physio then to the supermarket on the way home, you would never know we were in Tier 4 (really 5 +++!). Streets were heaving. It also didn't help the number of roadworks going on.

Last edited:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
@Goonergal wow looks amazing
@Max68 ive not needed metformin at all for past three years since I went keto low carb. Think metformin has only a small impact on the bgs well it did for me. Re when you take it think I used to take at start of the meal to make sure with food as metformin gave me tummy problems despite stoically taking for two years thinking it would help me. For me eating lc and stress management brought mine down not metformin but it’s individual
@Lainie71 your menu today must be making you hungry? I need more fat to fill me up - are you trying to lose weight by cutting not only your carbs but also fat? I lost almost 5 stone by eating keto and enough fat with my protein to keep my hunger at bay.
Today had two lc food deliveries - a huge chunk of CornishCheese and also rolls and bread from seriously low carb. My quick early tasting of said cheese meant today was a 16/8 rather than 18/6 but really enjoyed my treats today
Breakfast nibble of cheese then two boiled eggs and one slice of hm lc bread
Lunch one slice of hm lc bread as open sandwich with smoked trout and more of the cheese
Mid pm OH had pancakes so treated myself to a DGF lc brownie
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and soda water with bitters followed by two lc hm chocolate truffles with weak black coffee.
Arm still mildly sore after my jab yesterday teatime but otherwise feeling really well and so pleased as I’m a carer of my autistic son and elderly mum, that I will hopefully be protecting them too,
Hi I am not actually very hungry to be honest, I did want to lose weight but did not think I would lose it as quickly as I am. I can eat apples - sparingly along with berries also in moderation. I think I have a varied diet to be honest. Perhaps I am in Keto I don't really know.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found another new online shop

https://8foods.co.uk/

It's a mix of sweet and savoury. I've ordered their version of millionaire shortbread, spicy carrot cake and carrot & sesame crackers. All very low carb etc.

Quite pricey but we'll see what the quantities are like (and the taste!). Hopefully it won't get stuck in Peterborough!

Looks interesting, I don’t want to chance any more sweet things ( still have a freezer full of DGF cakes Im trying to ration myself) the crackers would be a nice change though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks interesting, I don’t want to chance any more sweet things ( still have a freezer full of DGF cakes Im trying to ration myself) the crackers would be a nice change though.
That's what I thought too. I haven't had DGF since my orders "resting" for a week near enough in Peterborough. I'll order from them again but I thought it would be nice to try something different. Especially when I have little time to bake currently (although Hubby's industrial quantities of soup continues! He's just made a huge amount of very good chicken & mushroom soup).

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc on corned beef & tomato. Highlights hot chocolate with a little double cream on top

Dinnerish - h/m chicken noodle soup from freezer (was made with naked noodles). 2 slices of slc on cheese & onion. Afters - gooey mess (becoming a habit these days)

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well looks like I’ll be a regular member of the SLC bread group! My bread and rolls arrived yesterday after ordering the day before on Monday but only got round to trying a roll today - most chucked in freezer for later while looked at my menu plans! I thought the roll was really acceptable as did my OH - so a bit of a game changer for us. They will be so useful when travel to mums at weekend and whilst hanging around outside hospital etc. I’m sure I’ll still make my bread when time but so helpful to have ready baked stuff as I’m time stretched. I’ve now ordered more hunter and gatherer sugar free tomato sauce as think will be using more with the rolls ......
18/6 day
Lunch bacon and egg with one SLC roll no butter but spread with sf tomato sauce.
Mid pm Aldi choc and nut bar (found boxes of these at back of cupboard and they are almost out of date so of course I had to help out!)
Dinner pheasant breast wrapped in bacon and pan fried served with salad and glass of soda water with bitters pudding DGF brownie with teaspoon of cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. Glad you enjoyed the SLC roll @Shelley262 They’ve been a game changer for me too - brilliant for packed lunches.
Today I had brunch of scrambled eggs with a bit of turmeric sauerkraut ordered from a small independent business. Daughter has found a dollop a day has worked wonders for her IBS type symptoms.
Dinner was fat head pizza, haven’t had it for ages and really enjoyed it. DGF cake afterwards.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and 1/2 packet of coconut bites.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken with leek, bacon and cheese with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Max68

Bit of a disaster tonight due again to use by dates, will need to be more careful with next shop. Scrambled eggs for lunch then tried to do something for dinner with mince and bean sprouts which er, didn't work so ended up in bin. Settled with smoked salmon salad with cheddar and a guilty succumb to a bag of crisps! Think I've tried to go straight to no carbs rather than lower carb which has been a shock to the system. Will read up on here about the low carb breads etc for a bit of bulk and try not to punish myself for the odd slip.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a good day.
Went to bed hungry, woke up early hungry so had breakfast
Ff greek with seeds, blueberries and almonds. Still hungry an hour later so had final 2 tuna melt.
exercise class
L: bit of brie, bit of Wensleydale. 2 cherry tomatoes
Had to go into town to the bank. Town was depressing and found myself hunting or the Godiva 90 % but all I could find was a 72% with almonds 30g carbs per 100gram.
Of course I bought it. Of course half got eaten in the car on the way home. Havent had a binge like that for ages.
Got in to find dear hubby had cooked rock cakes, proper ones, house smelling of baking! Ate one, with butter!!
D pork chop, cabbage and spouts.
2 glasses red and, yes, the remains half of the Godiva

A bad, bad day

Max68

Lunch today three sausages and two fried eggs with one slice of white bread as it's in the fridge from my pre lower carb shop!

Dinner tonight I've got two chicken breasts and a pepper stir fry that need eating but no sauce anywhere! Have out of date cambazola and some cheddar in the fridge and some milk that's about it, along with some mushrooms so umming and aahing about trying to make a (blue) cheese mushroom sauce?! Also got some soy sauce in the cupboard so if any cooking geniuses have any ideas on how to make a sauce from pretty much nothing I would appreciate it. Not too keen on dry chicken and a dry stir fry! :eek:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today three sausages and two fried eggs with one slice of white bread as it's in the fridge from my pre lower carb shop!

Dinner tonight I've got two chicken breasts and a pepper stir fry that need eating but no sauce anywhere! Have out of date cambazola and some cheddar in the fridge and some milk that's about it, along with some mushrooms so umming and aahing about trying to make a (blue) cheese mushroom sauce?! Also got some soy sauce in the cupboard so if any cooking geniuses have any ideas on how to make a sauce from pretty much nothing I would appreciate it. Not too keen on dry chicken and a dry stir fry! :eek:

Max. Any of these any good? https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes/sauces-dressings

Reactions: Max68

Max68

Thank you they are great. Page bookmarked! Have managed to get a delivery order from a local shop with onions, cream and some white wine on its way so hopefully "should" be able to make up a mushroom sauce. I don't drink these days, certainly not wine, but think it's needed for the sauce! I hope so, cheapest bottle was 8 quid! Might be first person to get tipsy on a mushroom sauce! They delivered and substituted the extra thick cream with Elmlea so had to pop to a shop anyway.. :banghead:

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Max68 re mushroom sauce it is so easy whilst pan frying your steak, pork chicken or whatever I used venison tonight chop mushrooms. Put the meat into warm oven to rest and then use the meat pan all you need is a dollop of butter add the mushrooms and we love pepper added. once cooked add a generous pour of double cream and heat it should naturally thicken. I’d drink the hopefully very dry white wine chilled it would not be in the sauce think it may thin it too much. Only thickener needed is the butter. Hope that helps.
Re the bread check out www.seriouslylowcarb.com I’m loving the rolls you could order a few and freeze for up to five months they say.
Today’s food
Late breakfast scrambled eggs on one slice of hm lc toast
Lunch Aldi choc and nut bar
Dinner venison steaks served with mushroom sauce, asparagus and green beans followed by DGF brownie with spoon of cream
Now on water only fast as have my annual blood tests in am including full fasting lipid panel.

Max68

@Max68 re mushroom sauce it is so easy whilst pan frying your steak, pork chicken or whatever I used venison tonight chop mushrooms. Put the meat into warm oven to rest and then use the meat pan all you need is a dollop of butter add the mushrooms and we love pepper added. once cooked add a generous pour of double cream and heat it should naturally thicken. I’d drink the hopefully very dry white wine chilled it would not be in the sauce think it may thin it too much. Only thickener needed is the butter. Hope that helps.
Re the bread check out www.seriouslylowcarb.com I’m loving the rolls you could order a few and freeze for up to five months they say.
Today’s food
Late breakfast scrambled eggs on one slice of hm lc toast
Lunch Aldi choc and nut bar
Dinner venison steaks served with mushroom sauce, asparagus and green beans followed by DGF brownie with spoon of cream
Now on water only fast as have my annual blood tests in am including full fasting lipid panel.

Thank you so much. I'll be grilling the chicken, so basically warm up a pan, dollop of butter, add mushrooms and black pepper and heat. Then when cooked add a generous amount of double cream until it thickens>?

I ended up with Blossom Hill White wine so as you say I may just drink that if you think it's a bit much in the sauce!

Thanks again for that link. I really miss a breakfast buttie, bacon sandwich, ham salad rolls, poached/scrambled, fried egg on toast or sardines on toast so will as you say order some up. It's a wonder the supermarkets don't do this sort of thing.

BTW how long do you all leave stuff in the freezer? I've got so much stuff in there that's probably been in there for maybe two years, much of it now probably not the best idea such as pies and curries with rice. Do meats, fish etc really have a use by in the freezer health wise or is it more a case of it loses it's best quality after a while?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow @shelley262
@MrsA2 I hope you had a better day today, we all have those days and at least you did an exercise class.
@Max68 I would have offered similar suggestions to the others. Hope it goes well.
Today I had coffee until lunchtime.
Lunch was an odd assortment: h/m mackerel pate, avocado, sauerkraut and asparagus. I like all individually but not sure they act synergistically. 1 DGF blondie.
Dinner was chicken breast stuffed with Boursin and wrapped in prosciutto ( suggestion by someone on this thread, @Onlinecaroline perhaps? Very good) , served with sautéed mushrooms, broccoli and spinach. Dry white wine.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a better frame of mind today
Exercise class
L: 2 eggs mixed with mozzarella and cream and herbs then cooked in the waffle maker. Served with crispy bacon from the air fryer. One hm nut bar
That lot meant I was full enough to tackle a big supermarket shop without being tempted.
D: a quarter pound burger, one slice maasdam and a green side salad

Reactions: maglil55 and Max68

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: mushroom, cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and Max68