What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe weigh the peel to calculate carbs I only peel a small Apple and always a sharp local in season Apple this article linked above gives details of carbs per 100g but obviously more fibre in the skin rather than whole Apple and majority of nutrition. The other factor is testing your reaction 're quantity and your personal tolerance. Hope it works for you. You also need someone, or a rabbit or guinea pig! who is keen on eating rest of the Apple - I hate waste so pleased my OH is happy to eat rest of the apple!
Now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe weigh the peel to calculate carbs I only peel a small Apple and always a sharp local in season Apple this article linked above gives details of carbs per 100g but obviously more fibre in the skin rather than whole Apple and majority of nutrition. The other factor is testing your reaction 're quantity and your personal tolerance. Hope it works for you. You also need someone, or a rabbit or guinea pig! who is keen on eating rest of the Apple - I hate waste so pleased my OH is happy to eat rest of the apple!
Thank you for the link, it's interesting. Funnily enough I bought a Chayote squash from Ebay yesterday, couldn't find a supermarket near me that sold it, hope to receive the chayote on Monday. I saw a youtube from the 'keto twins' where they made an 'apple pie' from a chayote, using no apples. Believe the secret is in the flavouring, they added cinnamon, but the texture is just like cooked apples. It'll be an interesting experiment.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: the other half of last night’s LC pizza with a side salad.

2023-11-04 18.42.07.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops with chopped, flat-leaf parsley, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and rosemary, baked with sweet red peppers and aubergines, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout smothered with butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with tiger prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, cucumber, baby plum tomatoes, mint, salad onions and Halkidiki olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast (shortly): crustless quiche

2nd meal: a bit uncertain - I have visitors this afternoon and have made food for them but it is in no way low carb. If they leave in time, I will make a fish pie, if there is time before my brother phones for our weekly "date". If not, probably nothing.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Back to yesterday
Brekkie was usual slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch was last chunk of Red Storm (mature Red Leicester from Waitrose counter) and spoon of antipasti. Tea.
Supper was from a new Chinese t/a I had King Prawn, Ginger & Spring onion stir fry accompanied by Pak Choi. Not sure how carbs but dodged most of the liquid and it was a light and tasty treat.
Today same brekkie.
Lunch chunk cheddar with remaining antipasti. Tea.
Supper will be Peking shredded duck, salad & a little Hoisin sauce.
A bit of a theme here this weekend lol.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had low carb nibbles, mainly on the lc biscuits made yesterday.

2x Gin and Tonics in the afternoon.

Dinner was butterflied salmon fillet with prawns in a creamy sauce, chopped and steamed cauli tossed in butter, ditto with red and green cabbage.

Carbs for the day 19.9g carbs (just squeaked in under my 20g carbs per day target.)

1699208784656.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, sprinkled with chopped, flat-leaf parsley and seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with sprigs of French tarragon and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears smothered with butter.
A medley of baked broccoli, onions, leeks and sweet red peppers with garlic chestnut mushrooms.
Water to drink.
Raspberries and Greek full-fat yoghurt.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with walnut halves.
Water to swallow tablets.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did this weekend go?
Saturday
Brunch out at Medicine in Birmingham had two sides as all mains came with carbs had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon really tasty
Then went to cinema to see killers of the flower moon which I hadn't been sure about seeing I went along to join in with youngest son and OH who wanted to see it but really enjoyed - interestingly the main female lead had diabetes type 2 and it includes her treatment in the 1920s

a lovely mint tea during the 3 and a half hour film but many of audience seemed never to stop eating and drinking with whole range from full meals to snacks ordered from your seat!
Evening hungry and had Indian which was definitely more carbs than used to I avoided the obvious carbs like bread and rice but curries tasted sweet and this morning my fbgs were definitely raised!
Sunday
Brunch of one slice of bacon and egg and mushroom
Dinner steak with mushrooms, onions and a few tomatoes and two glasses of red wine followed by LC crumble and yoghurt.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 3 cheesey scrambled eggs. 2 slices slc bread toasted & buttered. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - half of a roast chicken. Couple of spoonfuls of coleslaw. Handful of nuts. 2 Strips of marmite cheese (very addictive!). Fudged Up Grenade Bar all washed down with another mug of earl grey tea.

Soo disappointed lc co. have ceased trading as I loved their rolls (for me they were the nearest to normal rolls & bread) slc rolls imo are so full of air and the white ones taste like maderia cake to me. Has anyone found any good alternatives?

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 3 cheesey scrambled eggs. 2 slices slc bread toasted & buttered. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - half of a roast chicken. Couple of spoonfuls of coleslaw. Handful of nuts. 2 Strips of marmite cheese (very addictive!). Fudged Up Grenade Bar all washed down with another mug of earl grey tea.

Soo disappointed lc co. have ceased trading as I loved their rolls (for me they were the nearest to normal rolls & bread) slc rolls imo are so full of air and the white ones taste like maderia cake to me. Has anyone found any good alternatives?
Lots of alternatives listed here for ideas hope this helps

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 and a half scrambled eggs (cooked 5 between 2 of us, he had his on toast)
Hilly dog walk
L: hm veg soup (leek, celery, knion, red pepper) served with soured cream
Mid afternoon 30g carbs on gingerbread hearts. Cursing Christmas products
D: 2 beefburgers with cheddar, green beans. 2 glasses red wine

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 25 October - bed 7.5 FBG 7.1. I am miles behind now!! You're right, @shelley262. I'm constantly racing about.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with Philly. Benecol dairy free.

L. 6 almonds

D. Boys were here for dinner. I had lamb gigots, which were cooked as a variation on the Hairy Bikers featherblade recipe I'm so fond of. Lots of veggies in it, and 4 hours in a slow oven with its greaseproof lining under the casserole lid. Boys had it with crispy fritters. I had a couple of the fritters with mine. Youngest had 2 helpings! Later CC little chocolate pot with raspberries.

Thursday 26 October - bed 7.6 FBG 6.8. Aqua day.

B. TAG, 10 almonds, Benecol dairy free.

L. Post Aqua, 2 slices of SRSLY toast with Philly.

D. What I thought was GF haggis from my freezer. It wasn't! BGs shot up. I still had my CC Little chocolate pot though.

Friday 27 October- bed 8.7 on descent, thankfully. FBG 7.9

B. Just TAG. Rushing about as always.

L. 2 slices of back bacon, fried egg, and a slice of SRSLY toast.

D. The other ostrich burger with a slice of Emmental, sitting on a Portobello mushroom. Salad of tomato, avocado, cucumber, walnuts. Mayo plus coleslaw.

I gave the little chocolate pot a miss but had a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
20231025_181948.jpg
20231027_185333.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday, after gym and a short cold swim outside I made a quick meal of things needing used up: A couple of chicken livers, some bacon cubes, mushrooms, an onion, a little bok choy, and I added tomato paste, cream cheese and a glug of wine left over from the cottage pie.
Turned out pretty tasy too!

View attachment 63952

Today I spent the second half of the afternoon in the swimming pool with a friend, enjoying waves and slides. I'm rather proud to report I managed to make it (very slowly) to the end of the thing in the picture below, despite getting the full attention of the pool guard with the very cold water hose! She's one of our locum aquarobics teachers and she recognised me, and clearly decided I was the perfect target between all those children. :hilarious:
After all that I had a small beer and a 'kaassoufflé' (Dutch deep fried snack, very much not low carb).

View attachment 63953

Late evening meal (I had the kaassoufflé late afternoon after all) of a slice of low carb bread with a fried egg with bacon, mushrooms and cheese.
Promise I'll make a proper meal again tomorrow. I also promised to go for a quick cold swim again tomorrow at 5PM but I won't take that as an excuse for not cooking. Really, I won't. I hope.

View attachment 63954
These things are fun, but I leave it to the kids! Health & Safety ensures the disabled Nana is not allowed on it!