What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 I’m so sorry to read about your bereavement, it’s such a difficult time of year to lose a loved one. I hope you’ve taken the advice of the others on here to heart and forgotten about BG levels for a while.
@filly I’m glad you did get your glass of champagne eventually. Cheers!
My food over the festive couple of days has been low carb but without structure - not enough space between eating windows. BG is fine but that maybe because the booze is keeping my liver occupied.
Today we had various cold meats & salads. We ended up giving the Christmas Eve ruined roast beef to the dogs. They enjoyed it at least. I think the problem was that the freezer it was in conked out a few weeks back and by the time we got a replacement it was 1/2 defrosted. I refroze it anyway but it seems to have changed its structure. Lesson learned.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, hope everyone has survived Christmas. Had a good time and made good choices on the whole. Lovely turkey lunch at my sisters on Xmas day with a small stuffing ball, resisted the roasties!Did have a very,very tiny spoonful of Xmas pud with lots of cream and a pistachio Lindt. My annoying SIL just had a selection of cakes Xmas evening so I had 2 walnuts
Yesterday
B Greek yog with raspberries and seeds
L KC roll with turkey and salad
D HM gammon with salad and coleslaw, cheese and seed crackers

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The further I get away from the decaffeinated tea drinking, the better I feel. I will give it another try in a week or so though.

Nothing so far to eat, just some tea.

At some stage it will have to be the duck and cabbage that I didn't cook on Monday, or eat on Tuesday. If I can wait until afternoon, it'll probably be enough for the day.

Ferries and planes off again, due to weather. Shops will empty rapidly and won't be resupplied until the storms have passed so there won't be anything there until Saturday or Monday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't actually eaten anything yet but I am making chicken soup at the moment. Just as well to have something that can be heated quicklyon the camping gas stove in this cold, windy weather (in case power goes off).

I will stir fry the duck and cabbage shortly and make it my one meal today.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Omlette with pepper and cheese
Gammon and tomato

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Editred for clarity.
Thank you to all for you kind and supportive wishes xx
I've found wearing the libre helpful. It's certainly shown effects of stress and the carbs I've been comfort eating, but has helped me stay reasonable. In the past I would have face planted into loads of sweets, without limit, but instead I'm just noticing, recognising triggers and moving on. It would have been so easy to ignore everything and regress without it.

So Christmas panned out:
Xmas eve, bereavement and birthday
Xmas day for 7.
Can't remember breakfast, maybe not any except picking while cooking.
Lunch was full turkey dinner for 6 and 1 nut roast for vegetarian
Starter was a soup I'd frozen earlier, tomato, celery and apple flavoured with sherry. Served with bread for carb eaters.
Main turkey (or nut roast), red cabbage and carrot/swede mash, parmesan coated parsnips
(All frozen ahead), green beans, roasted for carb eaters,stuffing balls, pigs in blankets.
Used a version of @LivingLightly walnut and mushroom nut roast. Very tasty.

Much later Xmas pudding for those that wanted it. Cheese board.

Boxing day, and another birthday!
Can't remember breakfast, if any.
Lunch for 9, (1 veggie) cold turkey, gammon ,cheeses, salad, pickles including jarred fermented veg.
Dessert was any combinations of lc jelly trifle with blackberries (which went down very well with all), Xmas cake, Xmas pudding, birthday carrot cake, gingerbread, mince pies. Cream, brandy cream or custard Editted to add I didn't eat all these, the carb eaters did! I had 2 bites, 1 of cake, 1 of pudding and lots of the lc jelly

Evening was 3 types vegetarian pastries, served warm, (I did have quite a few) cheeses.

At various times I had white wine, red wine, only small and often watered down. Did try a Baileys Light but has different flavours to the original and a bit of an after taste of sweeteners. Think I'll stick to small amount for the original instead, or make my own lc version. . And I got a headache but that could have been anything.

Today
A bit of a back down to earth day (understatement!), and we've heard of another imminent bereavement.
Both bereavements will bring a lot of problems after. The problems from the first are starting already.
Controlling what I can
Early breakfast 5:30, some chocolates and 1 piece gingerbread.

Palmed as much of the carby stuff as I could off on our departing guests

Early lunch, finally a tasty mushroom and bacon omelette and lc jelly and mouse.

Mid afternoon an lc hot chocolate. First tried the light Baileys in it but not very pleasant. Much better with a splash of the real thing.

Dinner: turkey fricassee with sherry and mushrooms. Rice for the boys. Pud was coffee ice cream with 1 chopped up florentine. Red wine

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a DGF mince pie.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and seed crackers with paté.
Dinner: I have been watching family eat cheese and biscuits somewhat jealously over the last couple of days, when I remembered eating cheddar on ginger nuts as a child. I then remembered I had some DGF ginger cookies in the freezer. So here we are, my pic will tell you what happened next! Yum!

2023-12-27 19.08.24.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never heard of that cheese and ginger combo @Rachox must give it a try.
Well done for your stoicism in such a stressful time @MrsA2 recognising triggers and moving on.
I’ve missed eggs the last few days so had breakfast today before anyone else woke up ( storm Gerritt made it hard to sleep) crispy omelette and kimchi.
Lunch was https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-curry-pie made with leftover turkey, it’s become a family favourite. Salad with it. Camembert and nuts to follow.
D- last of the cold meat and lc stuffing ( phew) with celeriac chips and fermented beetroot with ginger. KC Christmas pud and clotted cream.
IMG_1703707778.035976.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Christmas Day - bed 7.2 FBG 6.3. Another very windy, wet day.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with pate. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing - way too busy.

D. Campari and soda. A couple of glasses of very dry fizz with dinner, and a "Baileys" after (it was a large one).
To start - monkfish, black pudding, pea puree, pea shoots. Also had a very small GF/LC roll from Skinny Food Co. Boys had prawn toasts I'd made.
Main - usual turkey, carrot/parsnip done in Skinny Food Co honey & wholegrain mustard, sprouts cooked with pancetta in stock plus pomegranate, twice roasted potatoes, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls with pork, herbs, black pudding, onion. Everything is GF and as low carb as I could make it. That's son's plate.
Dessert was a choice of LC creme brulee, LC Chocolate Pear Sponge. It has a brownie-like texture.
I kept away from the cheese and biscuits later.

Tuesday 26 December - bed 6.6 FBG 5.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with bacon. Benecol dairy free.

L. A small bit of the LC Chocolate Pear Sponge from yesterday.

D. A repeat of yesterday's turkey main course.

Recipes this year were mainly slightly adapted Tom Kerridge Christmas recipes.
20231225_182712.jpg
20231225_193645.jpg
Screenshot_20231227_200955_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found wearing the libre helpful. It's certainly shown effects of stress and the carbs I've been comfort eating, but has helped me stay reasonable. In the past I would have face planted into loads of sweets, without limit, but instead I'm just noticing, recognising triggers and moving on. It would have been so easy to ignore everything and regress without it.

So Christmas panned out:
Xmas day for 7.
Starter was a soup I'd frozen earlier, tomato, celery and apple flavoured with sherry. Served with bread for carb eaters.
Main turkey (or nut roast), red cabbage and carrot/swede mash, parmesan coated parsnips
(All frozen ahead), green beans, roasted for carb eaters,stuffing balls, pigs in blankets.

Lunch for 9, (1 veggie) cold turkey, gammon ,cheeses, salad, pickles including jarred fermented veg.
Dessert was any combinations of lc jelly trifle with blackberries (which went down very well with all), Xmas cake, Xmas pudding, birthday carrot cake, gingerbread, mince pies. Cream, brandy cream or custard

Evening was 3 types vegetarian pastries, served warm, (I did have quite a few) cheeses.

At various times I had white wine, red wine, only small and often watered down. Did try a Baileys Light but has different flavours to the original and a bit of an after taste of sweeteners. Think I'll stick to small amount for the original instead, or make my own lc version. . And I got a headache but that could have been anything.

Today
A bit of a back down to earth day (understatement!), and we've heard of another imminent bereavement.
Both bereavements will bring a lot of problems after. The problems from the first are starting already.
Controlling what I can

Early lunch, finally a tasty mushroom and bacon omelette and lc jelly and mouse.

Mid afternoon an lc hot chocolate. First tried the light Baileys in it but not very pleasant. Much better with a splash of the real thing.

Dinner: turkey fricassee with sherry and mushrooms. Rice for the boys. Pud was coffee ice cream with 1 chopped up florentine. Red wine
Evening @MrsA2. It's good to know the walnut and mushroom nut roast didn't disappoint. That recipe started life as a Rose Elliot creation. Following diagnosis in 2003, I adapted the original to reduce the carbs.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Leftover mushroom and chestnut pie made with spinach, leeks, dry red wine, thyme and mustard for the filling and using almond flour, sesame seeds, oat fibre, butter and an egg for the pie crust.
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower with roasted pistachios smothered with butter.
Carrots, onions and apple sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Halkidiki olives and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with walnut halves.
Water to swallow tablets.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today, Wednesday, 27 December, bed 7.7 FBG 5.7.

B. TAG and a fry up of 4 mini chipolatas, 2 rashers of streaky, 4 santini tomatoes, fried egg, and a slice of Schlar GF toast. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Finally removed my sole and lobster tails from the freezer. Sole was done with spring onion, white wine, herbs, and seasoning, with a lobster tail alongside. I kept it simple as I've been suffering from too long on my feet the last few days. Affogato with dairy free vanilla.

@Annb - I hope you are doing better now. The weather is atrocious, and it certainly will not be easy to get supplies. @MrsA2 - Just hugs.

I thought I'd photographed the fish, but it's not there. Here's a photo instead of the sausage with his "naughty" hat on.
20231227_204306.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: A quick cheese sandwich - short of time - often happens on the mornings I'm getting my legs bandaged.

2nd meal will be chicken thighs with spicy tomato sauce.

Have to start cooking for the weekend today - that is I'll be making a marinara sauce to put onto pizza bases on Saturday and I'm prepping vegetables to make a split pea and veg dish for Saturday. Cakes tomorrow afternoon (once my cleaner has left). Rice on Saturday, finish pizzas on Saturday, finish cakes on Saturday. I'll be having ham and salad.

Edit: Forget that! Cooking done and I really don't want to do any more, or eat anything. So the cheese sandwich will do me for today. Tea, now, that is a different matter.

Last edited:

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Tea
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Corned beef
Cottage cheese and tomato
Beef and tomato

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Mushroom and spinach frittata made with eggs, Cheddar cheese, onion, double cream and thyme.
Vegetable tray bake using broccoli, cauliflower, sweet red peppers and onions.
Steamed French beans smothered with butter.
Skipped pudding.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, king prawns, baby plum toms, celery, Halkidiki olives and salad onions dressed with home-made mayonnaise for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast 2 eggs scrambled with a bit of chilli and lime cheese
L 4 seed crackers with St Agur blue cheese
Mid afternoon (after a migraine) 3 tablespoons pickled veg. Bg went too high
D: turkey curry on celeriac mash. Coffee icecream with 2 chopped up florentine s.

First glass of this years spiced rum. OK, but not as spicy as I usually like it so added a splash of ginger beer (full sugar)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 your Christmas feast looks and sounds amazing. I shall check your CMT for the pear&chocolate cake.
Today I took my new Ninja foodi out of its box and started using it. I’ve seen a lot online recently about doing soft ‘boiled’ eggs in an airfryer 170 for 7 mins and I had perfectly cooked dippy eggs. Game changer for me after the exploding egg in saucepan episode. Eggs served with Edam ‘toast’.
No lunch but took grandchildren to see the new Wonka film this afternoon ( loved it) and had a Diet Coke and packet of Cheesies.
D- last of the cold stuff left in fridge. Turkey curry pie, charcuterie meats, avocado, cherry toms, olives, sauerkraut and fermented beetroot&ginger. Glass of red. KC Christmas pud& clotted cream.
IMG_1703797662.472220.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting late as went to see Wonka at the cinema, I highly recommend it if you’d like a couple of hours of fantasy escapism.

Breakfast: needed a quick one so keto cocoa granola and coconut milk washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and seed crackers and paté.
Dinner: garlic and herb cream cheese and cucumber on a LC roll with M&S crispy bacon strips and a few nuts.

2023-12-28 18.37.02.jpeg

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Editred for clarity.

So Christmas panned out:
Xmas day for 7.

Dessert was any combinations of lc jelly trifle with blackberries (which went down very well with all), Xmas cake, Xmas pudding, birthday carrot cake, gingerbread, mince pies. Cream, brandy cream or custard Editted to add I didn't eat all these, the carb eaters did! I had 2 bites, 1 of cake, 1 of pudding and lots of the lc jelly

Today
Controlling what I can

@MrsA2 sounds like you've been having a tough time of it. sending you my hugs and condolences. The death of a loved one is always tough but Christmas comes with a lot of emotions and memories of others who are no longer here too - so an especially hard time to cope. Sounds like you've done remarkably well coping with the roller coaster of emotions. Treats from food are the go to method to deal with difficult emotions for many of us and hard to resist. There is also so much more of the naughty comfort food around especially at Christmas for visitors and it feels like a everybody is saying well it's Christmas you can get back to normal after the holidays. So well done you in not moving into that food comfort mode mindlessly but having an awareness and recognition of what you're eating and having just tastes of or small amounts of the stuff that won't do you any health favours. It's tough and sounds like it will be on going stress. I'd recommend mindfulness training if you don't already do it or if you do making sure you fit regular mindfulness or meditation sessions in to help you stay in the moment to help you take care of you.

Last edited: