What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 that looks very professional. And I’m glad there’s someone else who takes sell by dates with a large pinch of salt!
@shelley262 the rhubarb looks wonderful.
My food was a bit more appetising today. Black coffee and goat milk kefir early on.
Late morning scrambled eggs and the leftover half of gammon steak. ( still didn’t finish it, it really was huge)
Mid aft DGF crumble
Dinner- sesame crusted salmon with a stuffed mushroom ( cheddar mixed with h/m mayo) and a mixed salad.
IMG_1707416942.305239.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to add, for those who used to enjoy a cold beer ( I really missed a lager when it was so hot early last summer) I’ve found Tennents Light: 0.7g carbs per can and 3.4% ABV. So fewer carbs, cals and lower alcohol than a glass of wine. Had a tin with my dinner to try it - It tasted great.
IMG_1707417256.514882.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It looked better than it tasted :bag:

All in all, unless I add something in to transform the "eggyness" of it, not to my tastes at all, I prefer my omelettes plain/savory.

Though I did eat it.
When I do such experiments, I always allow myself to not eat it if I don't like it. So in this case I would have just eaten the berries and cream, and made a couple of dogs/cats/chickens happy with the omelette.
Frozen strawberries always go mushy so yours must have been jam! Very impressed by you not wasting food Im not convinced I'd be brave enough to eat something five years after use by date. Mind you you are particularly daring - with your impressive cold water swimming too.
With some things I'm very careful about use by date, frozen fruit, not so much.
They weren't even mushier than I remember from the last time I used frozen strawberries (which must have been some 6 years ago, considering the date on this bag) but I think they had a little less colour. Smelled and tasted very much like strawberries still though. :)

As for the swimming, there's a very thin line between daring and stupid, not sure on which side of the line this falls :hilarious: : https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cold-water-swimming-and-diabetes.200255/post-2678289

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh there is some lovely cooking going on, think I will pass on the pancakes and I am allergic to strawberries although I think some cinnamon or dark grated chocolate would maybe work in the mixture? Jealous of the rhubarb though, really would like some now.
Yesterday
B Coconut porridge, seeds and blob of almond butter
L Cottage cheese, avocado, salad
D Sausages,celeriac mash, green beans and mushrooms

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: savoury omelette here, cheese and mushroom!

2024-02-08 19.02.53.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:00 2 poached eggs on 2 slices liv life toast. 1 slice ham
Dancing
13:00 major emotional fail. Proper brownies (note the plural)
18:00 steak with carrots and greens. Sauce of cream , yoghurt and mustard.
4 sqs 85% chocolate
Another emotional fail, a large glass wine, not even watered down.

Would blame the grieving but it seems to have morphed into anger and self loathing

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dancing
4 sqs 85% chocolate

Would blame the grieving but it seems to have morphed into anger and self loathing
Feeling for you it sounds like a difficult time. I'm sure this new podcast won't give the answers to resolving your difficult experiences but it may distract you and give you a few stress management tips that may help. I particularly like breathing techniques to calm things down when things seem overwhelming.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please try to give yourself some room, emotionally, for grief, anger, and even self loathing.
I am very good at self loathing on my more depressed days, it's a horrible feeling, and I am slowly learning that it's simply a reaction to too much of stuff going on, and it will pass.
Doesn't make the self loathing any less, but knowing it is temporary and just a stupid reaction mechanism of my brain makes a huge difference.
When the mind is struggling very hard to deal with life and still keep going and doing all the necessary things, you can hardly blame it for not being able to keep all balls in the air, something has to give somewhere.
In this case it was brownies and only a single glass of wine.
It's just a dropped ball, nothing worse than that, and you already know you're the only one who feels this is worth words like 'failure' or 'self loathing'.

Please try and cut yourself some slack, and if you can, build in a safety measure for the brownies tomorrow by allowing yourself to eat a not in any way sensible portion of something a bit lower carb like a tub of clotted cream or such.

Really, it's ok to have a bit of a breakdown sometimes, no-one expects you to be superwoman all the time except yourself, and more so because of all the goings on lately.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A late evening meal (which is what happens if you eat lots of cream and strawberries late afternoon :hilarious: ) of cauliflower puree and some kind of slow cooked beef and onion thing.

Very tasty, no idea what exactly is in it because a friend gave it to me, and he had gotten it from the partner of his brother. :)
So far, the mystery meal doesn't seem to raise my BG so likely no quick sugars or obvious carbs, although I expect I'll need a low dose of insulin for it a bit later on. :joyful:

1707426128177.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With some things I'm very careful about use by date, frozen fruit, not so much.
They weren't even mushier than I remember from the last time I used frozen strawberries (which must have been some 6 years ago, considering the date on this bag) but I think they had a little less colour. Smelled and tasted very much like strawberries still though. :)
Evening @Antje77 and all

Yes, can't really generalise. Best before dates satisfy a legal thingy, use by dates matter from a health perspective, but It all depends on the type of ingredients, how they're packaged and how stored.

Recently, I opened a can of chick peas that was lurking at the back of a cupboard. They cooked fine and ate well too.

The date stamped on the base of the tin? September 2009!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (strictly no breadcrumbs) garlic, vegetable stock and rosemary.
Steamed Brussels sprouts with toasted slivered almonds smothered with butter.
Carrots, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, lemon verbena and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..
Water to swallow tablet.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I do such experiments, I always allow myself to not eat it if I don't like it. So in this case I would have just eaten the berries and cream, and made a couple of dogs/cats/chickens happy with the omelette.

Fair play, I thought I'd give it a chance, it was edible and I'd only end up wasting it here, wasn't forcing it down against my will.

Got me in the mood for something I did like later though.

Ended up cooking some beef kofte, forgetting the cumin and coriander, I tend to use, it was fine with the mint parsely and ras el hanout/harissa mix but missing that cumin totally. Still, I ate the plateful, with a bunch of mushroom, onion and tomato, 2 different types of hummus. Feel strong now.

Didn't bother taking a pic as this one tasted better than it looked.

Toothache seems to have laid off a little, still might get it looked at though, know through experience putting stuff like that off becomes a bigger job eventually.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dancing
4 sqs 85% chocolate

Not so much a fail as a recognizing of some awful situations you are having to deal with and doing the best you can . Sending some virtual support.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lovely day, pickleball, and then biked to a bird reserve type nature area.
Breakfast , mashed egg on L/c bread
Lunch, grilled chicken thigh with more of the red cabbage salad with soy, lime and sesame dressing
Dinner, should be almost ready by now but having been out all afternoon it’s not even decided on so I’m hoping is going to be “ well we should go out for something it’s too late to start now.”

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 crumpets with soft cheese (I know, I know!) They were left in a packet that I bought for Em and Neil bought another (bigger) packet when he did the shopping yesterday, so I used them. Didn't really enjoy them and have mild indigestion now. Serves me right. At least my BG is still only 6.3.

2nd meal: moussaka.
I tried to replicate a recipe of Rick Stein's which included potato, courgettes and tomatoes along with the normal aubergine, onion and meat (should have been lamb, but Neil could only get beef mince). It should have been at least 2 layers of each and finished with cheese sauce. I intended to use cheese and cream mixture instead. Browned the mince, fried the aubergine and courgette slices, used frozen potato slices for the first layer. Had it all ready to construct but then realised that the dish I intended to use was hung on a hook which, with my new pain, I couldn't reach. Had to substitute a small roasting tray, so didn't have enough depth for the layers and then had no space left for the sauce, so just sprinkled the cheese on the top layer of mince. It was allright but it really needed the sauce. There's quite a lot left but when I heat some later, I will add the cream and some more cheese.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mid morning small kefir and supplements
Lunch hm soup then kimchi and comte cheese with three LC seeded crackers
Bought some pork saltimboca (pork loin wrapped in prosciutto) ready prepared to cook from M and S on a 3 for 2 deal and put straight in freezer. Defrosted one pack and cooked today really enjoyed and nice and easy!
Dinner pork saltimboca with sprouts and mushrooms in a hm sauce( cooked mushrooms in olive oil and bit of butter then added a few spoons of hm soup and dash of cream and lots of pepper.)
View attachment 65654
Pudding of a few berries and yoghurt followed by black decaffeinated coffee and two squares of 90% chocolate.
Sauce sounds interesting and very low carb I find it difficult to make a low carb sauce that taste good . Think I will try yours :)