What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small handful of nuts around 6am to take tablets.
Proper breakfast of cheese omelette around 10am
Lunch l/c toast with h/m mackerel pate.
Dinner/tea/general evening nibbling over a few hours after a bitty, busy day included Brie, cheddar, more nuts, slice of pork, slice of beef, 85% chocolate, several cups of tea with milk.
Tomorrow I hope to be a little more organised.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anything in particular preventing you from having this at home sometimes? @PenguinMum.
Only the fact that someone other than me cooked it and served it and washed up afterwards! I always associate cooked brekkie with being away.
So Tuesday usual brekkie of slice LC toast, copious tea.
Lunch was egg mayo with home grown lettuce leaves.
Supper was chicken breast fillet with a Brazilian rub (chilli, lime, coconut) ? from the farm shop baked on a bed of peppers from a jar that were going out of date. Also did cauli rice but it was too much and didn’t eat it all. Wrong accompaniment should have just baked a few spears of asparagus alongside.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Couldn't go out early.
Cottage Cheese and tomatoes
Coffee and cream x 3
Large green salad and two hard boiled eggs, carrot and tomato

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w lovely to see you liking posts here - you are a much missed contributor to this thread. I felt really happy to see your name in my likes list and invoked some lovely memories.
IMG_20240612_165048.jpg

IMG_20240612_171933.jpg

Had a lovely pasta bake for my main meal using the low carb pasta pictured above - I cook 50g of dry pasta for two of us so my pasta portion pictured is 2.25 g of carbs. I also soak the pasta in boiling water for a couple of hours and then rinse to get rid of any starch before adding into the mince Bolognese and then cooking further to allow flavours to mingle.

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: cheese, mushroom and tomato omelette.

2024-06-12 19.06.13.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w lovely to see you liking posts here - you are a much missed contributor to this thread. I felt really happy to see your name in my likes list and invoked some lovely memories.
View attachment 68241
View attachment 68242
Had a lovely pasta bake for my main meal using the low carb pasta pictured above - I cook 50g of dry pasta for two of us so my pasta portion pictured is 2.25 g of carbs. I also soak the pasta in boiling water for a couple of hours and then rinse to get rid of any starch before adding into the mince Bolognese and then cooking further to allow flavours to mingle.

Oh goodness @ziggy_w how lovely to see you back - thanks for being eagle eyed Shelley262!

I’m going to copy your tip re putting the pasta in boiling water for a couple of hours first. I’ve used this pasta but thought it was quite tough even after cooking for twice the length of time of normal pasta. I expect soaking it would also make it softer as well as helping to get rid of some of the extra starch in the rinsing water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre breakfast few nuts and pills.
Breakfast soft boiled eggs on SRSLY toast.
Lunch h/m mackerel pate with a few h/m seedy crackers
Dinner Goulash with green beans.

I’ve been listening to Chris van Tulleken’s Ultra processed People on Audible recently ( I know a couple of others on here have read it) it’s only just dawned on me that SRSLY bread is actually an ultra processed food. I only really paid attention to the carb count originally. I have a freezer full to use up but there will be no more after that.
IMG_1718221136.044853.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been listening to Chris van Tulleken’s Ultra processed People on Audible recently ( I know a couple of others on here have read it) it’s only just dawned on me that SRSLY bread is actually an ultra processed food. I only really paid attention to the carb count originally.
More or less anything that comes in packaging with a list of ingredients is "processed". I've even heard of milled seeds being regarded as processed.

We each have to decide for ourselves what level we are prepared to have in our own diets. Imho I allow a few "processed" items but only if I understand all the ingredients :)

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh goodness @ziggy_w how lovely to see you back - thanks for being eagle eyed Shelley262!

I’m going to copy your tip re putting the pasta in boiling water for a couple of hours first. I’ve used this pasta but thought it was quite tough even after cooking for twice the length of time of normal pasta. I expect soaking it would also make it softer as well as helping to get rid of some of the extra starch in the rinsing water.
It makes it lots softer - use boiling water and pour over I use a glass container with a cover to really help to soften it so that its then open to taking on more of the sauce when you cook it again at the end with the bolognese.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and tiger prawns all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablets.
Espresso.

L: Baked halloumi and sweet red peppers,
Hummus with Kalamata olives.
Salad using cucumber, salad burnet, rocket, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad made with crab and brown shrimps, lettuce, baby plum toms, celery, Welsh onions and mustard cress, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with chervil and toasted pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre breakfast few nuts and pills.
Breakfast soft boiled eggs on SRSLY toast.
Lunch h/m mackerel pate with a few h/m seedy crackers
Dinner Goulash with green beans.

I’ve been listening to Chris van Tulleken’s Ultra processed People on Audible recently ( I know a couple of others on here have read it) it’s only just dawned on me that SRSLY bread is actually an ultra processed food. I only really paid attention to the carb count originally. I have a freezer full to use up but there will be no more after that. View attachment 68245
It is thought provoking reading/listening, I agree. I quite like Elana’s pantry website dark rye bread for a less processed, low carb bread option.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More or less anything that comes in packaging with a list of ingredients is "processed". I've even heard of milled seeds being regarded as processed.

We each have to decide for ourselves what level we are prepared to have in our own diets. Imho I allow a few "processed" items but only if I understand all the ingredients :)
If I can’t pronounce or spell it do I want to eat it is my usual thought

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Corned Beef and tomato
Pickled Herring and tomatoes
Cottage cheese

Last edited:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't that hungry so just had some home made chicken shawarma. Loosely based on a recipe, the chicken thighs were marinated overnight in garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and ginger, and I then cooked it in the air fryer. It was very nice.

PXL_20240613_172147635.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi bar.
Dinner: salmon fillets with broccoli, runner beans, carrots and peppercorn sauce.

2024-06-13 19.18.33.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is thought provoking reading/listening, I agree. I quite like Elana’s pantry website dark rye bread for a less processed, low carb bread option.

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn’t heard of this website but I’ve just looked and there are definitely recipes I’ll try.
I used to make the flaxseed buns from Hemsleyandhemsley.com that’s another I should get back into. I’ve become lazy!