What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries and yoghurt

L. Ham with houmous

D. Roast lamb, cabbage, carrots and onions. Strawberries and yoghurt. (Hopefully)
I have a pomegranate pot even though Masterchef has finished. :)

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
First note to self: ALWAYS put the lid back on the liquidiser when dealing with molten chocolate

Second note to self: Speak to Mr C about redecorating the kitchen, including the ceiling
:bigtears::banghead::bigtears::banghead:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First note to self: ALWAYS put the lid back on the liquidiser when dealing with molten chocolate

Second note to self: Speak to Mr C about redecorating the kitchen, including the ceiling
:bigtears::banghead::bigtears::banghead:

Ah yes. I think this is a lesson each of us has to learn this by personal experience.
Our kitchen ceiling is white painted wooden boards. Quite lovely, with inset spotlights.
There are still a couple of spots of green smoothie visible where I need to steam clean the ceiling with the mop over my head.
Just above the blender.
I did try cleaning it, but getting smoothie out of the woodgrain is a b*gg*r.
I cringe every time I look up, but I have learned not to look up often.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My menu for the next few days:

Christmas eve
Breakfast: None
Lunch: None
Dinner: Seafood buffet for eight: Mussels, scallops, lobster, crab, prawns, smoked salmon and avocado mousse, any other seafood dish I can find in Morrisons. Dessert: Individual Brandy Chocolate truffle tortes served with strawberries and brandy cream

Christmas day:
Breakfast: Lidl protein roll with Philadelphia and smoked salmon
Lunch: Nothing
Early dinner: Roast rib of beef, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots, runner beans, broad beans (all veg grown in my garden) Dessert: Low carb baked New York lemon cheesecake with fresh raspberries made in to a sauce

Supper: Mixed continental cold meats, taramasalata, houmous, cheeses and salad and lidl roll

Boxing day:
Breakfast: Same as Christmas breakfast IF there are any leftovers
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Roast chicken served warm with cheeses, ham, pate and salad Dessert: Leftovers from last two days (hopefully)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah yes. I think this is a lesson each of us has to learn this by personal experience.
Our kitchen ceiling is white painted wooden boards. Quite lovely, with inset spotlights.
There are still a couple of spots of green smoothie visible where I need to steam clean the ceiling with the mop over my head.
Just above the blender.
I did try cleaning it, but getting smoothie out of the woodgrain is a b*gg*r.
I cringe every time I look up, but I have learned not to look up often.

My kitchen ceiling used to be ivory painted wooden boards with spotlights - all now covered in dark brown freckles. Good idea about the mop - will try that next.

Reactions: mo53

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Festive Menu

Today:
B: bacon and egg
L: none
D: slow cooked chicken thighs in tomato, garlic, olives and butternut squash, with green beans and baby corn
(Mr B is working late this week and set off with turkey, stuffing and cranberry sarnies - the only turkey we will have this weekend :D

Xmas Eve:
B: pigs in blankets
L: hopefully none, but may have pate and crackers with that leftover beef tomato and olives
D: crackslaw

Xmas Day:
B: scram eggs, smoked salmon, wilted spinach and cream cheese
L: none
D: steak, fried onion, St Augur cheese, spiced red cabbage, green salad, balsamic vinegar and mayo

Boxing Day:
B: LC cinnamon crunch cereal
L: Avocado and tomato salad alongside St Augur and pear salad, with lemon chia pud
D: Who knows? But I should have made the LC carrot cake by then...

There will be fat bomb Rum Truffles, Mint Chocs and No cook peanut butter balls available throughout, and Mince Pie Mug Cakes on demand. These Mug Cakes were supposed to be for me because I can't have pastry mince pies. Pah! Mr B has had one 2 days in a row, and asked for one when he gets in at midnight on Xmas Eve.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mr C loves his mug cakes so I'll tell him about your mince pie version. He'll love it - and probably scoff it with that awful Swedish dairy free ice cream he has with most puds. :)

Reactions: geefull and mo53

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - Apple & cinnamon cake with vanilla liqueur cream. V bad for BS levels but not sure if it was the cake or the cream. Cake was from LC recipe. May need to test each individually to find out!
Lunch was replaced by afternoon tea with a friend. 1 x cheese scone, 1 x cranberry scone, butter, cream, no jam!
D - Edamame & mung bean fettuccini with tuna, red pesto, cream, cheddar. Waiting to test the effect on BS levels as have not done so with this fettuccini before. Will keep you posted!

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thursday
Breakfast - scrambled buttery eggs on a slice of Burgen toast
Lunch - homemade veggie soup with butternut squash and a hint of curry
Dinner - quarterpounder and baked mediterranean veg

Friday
Breakfast - porridge with almond milk and ground flax seed
Snack - remaining sugar free jelly to make room in the fridge
Lunch - veggie soup
Dinner - chicken tikka masala with lots of chicken and mixed cauli and broccoli on the side.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday

B. Button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, 1 slice each black pudding and Ayrshire middle, 1 chicken sausage and a fried egg. Less sugar latte.
L. Less sugar latte and 3 walnuts
D. Lamb shoulder with orange and pomegranate and cauliflower cheese.
Snack. Less sugar latte and 2 bites of carrot cake (it was enough and I had spent an hour in Aqua Fit!).
Another busy day tomorrow - 8am pick up slot at Marks then non stop cleaning and cooking.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Horrible Dawn Phenomenon! I had to get up very early (about 2 hours earlier than normal) and BS was 5.4 :) then just had a mug of black coffee and two hours later (when my normal time alarm went off) my BS was 7.6 :( I'm going to struggle all day to get it down in time for dinner tonight (not eating breakfast or lunch).

@Brunneria - did you ever find anything to eat that stopped the DP? I remember reading your long thread about it and you trying cheese straws and brazil nuts - did any of them ever work?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria - did you ever find anything to eat that stopped the DP? I remember reading your long thread about it and you trying cheese straws and brazil nuts - did any of them ever work?

Yes indeed.
Actually, it turned out not to be classic DP. When I started wearing the Libre, I discovered that my bg tended to go very low at around 2.30am, then recover, and stay roughly steady until about 10 mins before the alarm. At that point my bg would start to rise, and rise, and rise.

So I re-named it 'Morning Rise' since DP usually starts around 4am.

Anyway, the thing that stops it in its tracks is a single brazil nut or 3-4 cashews, or an ounce of cheese. That is all it takes. Then my bg stays steadyish til I eat breakfast, at whatever time time may be. I find carbs raise my bg, but fat doesn't, with the added benefit that fat stops the Morning Rise in its tracks. So coffee with cream will do just as well as a nut, but I prefer the nuts because they can sit on my bedside table and get eaten when my eyes open. If I go downstairs and make coffee, add cream and drink it, then the Rise is already significant.

So I guess my 'Morning Rise' is related to activity/stress hormones. It is always worse on a stressy day.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: samantha13

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes indeed.
Actually, it turned out not to be classic DP. When I started wearing the Libre, I discovered that my bg tended to go very low at around 2.30am, then recover, and stay roughly steady until about 10 mins before the alarm. At that point my bg would start to rise, and rise, and rise.

So I re-named it 'Morning Rise' since DP usually starts around 4am.

Anyway, the thing that stops it in its tracks is a single brazil nut or 3-4 cashews, or an ounce of cheese. That is all it takes. Then my bg stays steadyish til I eat breakfast, at whatever time time may be. I find carbs raise my bg, but fat doesn't, with the added benefit that fat stops the Morning Rise in its tracks. So coffee with cream will do just as well as a nut, but I prefer the nuts because they can sit on my bedside table and get eaten when my eyes open. If I go downstairs and make coffee, add cream and drink it, then the Rise is already significant.

So I guess my 'Morning Rise' is related to activity/stress hormones. It is always worse on a stressy day.

Hope that helps!
Yes, it does help, thank you very much. I think my BG dips during the night because on the rare occasions I've tested it when I've got up in the night it has been reasonably low and if I get up early (like today) it has always been good first thing then starts to rise very quickly.

I think the problem is I either don't eat breakfast at all OR I eat a large breakfast about an hour after I've got up and - weirdly - by early afternoon my BG is the always in the same narrow range whether I've eaten a large breakfast or nothing at all. I can see now where I've been going wrong. Cashew nuts on the bedside table it is.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with cream

L.ham with houmous

D. Irish stew. This contained potato, my first in 3 months so I'm interested to see the effect on my bs.
Strawberries with salted caramel Oppo icecream. Although this was low carb it tasted incredibly sweet to me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Less sugar latte
L. Lidl High Protein Roll with fire and smoke turkey slice with 1/2 avocado and a spoonful of Helmanns.
D. M&S oriental chicken with a load of steamed greens.

Turkey is cooked (cooling and waiting to be carved. Too big to fit in fridge! Soup is made as are desserts. Table is set so just going off to do my Elf Transport bit and deliver presents. Still a lot to do before bed though. Merry Christmas everyone xxx)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Christmas:)
B. A few bits of ham

Christmas dinner ( I did try to be good)
Turkey, sprouts, peas, carrots, gravy, stuffing, 1 pig in blanket and 2 pieces of roast parsnip. Small portion of Oppo salted caramel icecream. (Bs shot up to 11.2)

S. 2 diabetic chocolates.

Reactions: Chook and geefull

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Every Blummin Christmas (well, the last two anyway). My BG two hours after dinner is 3.7! Last year at the same time it was 3.4. I have no idea why it is so low. Must be the Prosecco.

Reactions: dbr10 and geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday
Breakfast - Porridge
Lunch - Homemade broccoli and cheddar soup with a few croutons.
Dinner - Pork in a shallot, garlic, green pepper and mushroom cream sauce with plenty of paprika, broccoli and carrots on the side.

Reactions: Chook and Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I had a couple of quail - tiny ones, I kept quail a while ago and they were much bigger - I was going to cook mushrooms, but I forgot.
This morning I had a pork chop as I did not eat it a few days ago when I did one for my husband. I still forgot the mushrooms - maybe tomorrow.
Christmas dinner at my daughter's place, turkey, broccoli, a roast carrot and two Yorkshire puddings - small ones, with gravy.
This evening nuts and grapes. I used the last test strip for the meter, 9.8 mmol/l which is not bad really,

Reactions: mo53 and Chook