What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday
breakfast - eggy bread and bacon
lunch - homemade spicy tomato soup
dinner - baked haddock with a few peas and some broccoli, cauli and carrots

Tuesday
breakfast - porridge, usual with almond milk and ground flax seed added.
lunch - Lidl's carrot and coriander soup (shared with MIL)
dinner - chicken stir fry with lots of mushrooms

I wasn't very keen on the carrot and coriander soup, too many carbs, it felt too thickened and, due to my lower carb lifestyle, rather too sweet.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 3 - my BS is staying stable but a bit higher than I like, only reaching 'nice' numbers just before dinner. I think I must have some kind of infection or something..... I suppose it could be the stress/depression thing but I'm learning to live with that.

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: Mug of Bovril (17 calories and less than .5 gram of carbs) - but it stops the hunger completely

Dinner: Roasted duck legs in Chinese spices, then the meat taken off the bones and bits of it wrapped in lettuce leaves with a little hoisin sauce, finely cut one inch lengths of cucumber and spring onions. I'm having two portions of this - so two duck legs.

Supper: Pomegranate seeds - although I might have some these mixed in with the duck wraps.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B: none
L: 3 slices Jarlsberg
S: 3 Thortons chocolates (too sickly!)
D: baked salmon, green salad, berries, cream, kind nut bar.

Still hungry!!! But easing back :D

I tried a Thorntons at Christmas (bought for me as a Christmas pressie) - as you say, they are MUCH too sweet and sickly.

Have you tried making your own truffles yet? Less sweet and less impact on BS because of the cream and butter.

Reactions: mo53

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a Thorntons at Christmas (bought for me as a Christmas pressie) - as you say, they are MUCH too sweet and sickly.

Have you tried making your own truffles yet? Less sweet and less impact on BS because of the cream and butter.

I got into Fat Bombs during last Autumn, and need to make some more - they are DELISH!!! I could actually live on them, since they are nearly pure fat, and kill my hunger completely. It would probably be the best way for me to go VLcalorie nowadays, if I was into that. :) Half a dozen a day, and forget about everything else...

I meant to make some LC truffles over Xmas, and then ran out of time, but still have the choc and booze and cocoa, so might make them anyway.

The Thorntons are gone now, thank goodness. They were the usual present from people who assume I trough milk chocolate, and we used (offloaded) them to feed visitors over the Xmas break :D The only chocs that REALLY undid my resolve this year were the Lindt Lindor Special Edition. My goodness. Heavenly. I hit 12 mmol/l one day from those. Hahaha!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria - I'm going to have to try those Lindt Lindor Special Edition - but not until I've finished this 8 week BS diet. I've still got a couple of boxes of chocolates left in my fridge - one Thorntons and one Lily O'Briens which I've never heard of before.

I couldn't get on with fat bombs, I did try but they left a weird coating on the inside of my mouth and a slight nauseous feeling - almost certainly a psychological response due to having spent most of my life cutting fat out of my diet like most of us have.

The truffles I make are based on a Delia recipe - just good chocolate I used Lindt 85%, double cream, booze, a little sweetener and unsalted butter. I made a few different sorts for Christmas - rum, Jack Daniels and brandy and I also made some no alcohol ones - one with almond essence/extract and almond pieces in which was lovely and a ginger one with crystallized ginger for Mr C which I thought was revolting but he ate them all. The biggest favourite was the rum ones.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I meant to say - a few days ago I made a pie using a pastry recipe from the Diet Doctor website https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-meat-pie If anyone is thinking about making this it tasted great but was a bit difficult to get out of the pie dish and the pastry was very crumbly. Well, we froze the remaining half in two portions and yesterday Mr C defrosted one portion in the fridge overnight and took it to work with some vegetables to microwave hot. He says that it was much better reheated in the canteen microwave than it was when it was fresh out of the oven as the pastry wasn't anything like as crumbly.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I don't do breakfast on a weekday but had lunch at 12.
boiled ham, 2 boiled eggs, coleslaw and pickled beetroot. I tend to alternate between boiled ham and tuna mayo on this meal. :)

Reactions: mo53 and Chook

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with cream

L. Salad with Stilton

Impromptu family trip to Garden Centre which had the most wonderful selection of desserts, cakes, pastries. Everybody chose something. I looked for something low carb! A piece of cheese? Nope... And I gave into temptation. I have eaten no chocolate since October and I succumbed to a piece of chocolate cake!
It's done now! Tomorrow is a new day.

D. Salad with Camambert. Strawberries and cream

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Smoked haddock with 2 poached eggs

Mid morning. Espresso with double cream and 1 square 85% chocolate

Dinner. Sliced turkey breast with a low carb 'pig in blanket' Brussels sprouts fried in butter, steamed cauliflower with 1/4 carton seriously strong cheddar spread and 1tbsp double cream, clear gravy.

1 glass red wine. 1 shot Brandy

Drinks, black tea, mineral water and hibiscus tea.

15g carbs, 2000 calories

11,500 steps

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. 3 Heck chicken sausages , fried egg , portobello mushroom, 4 cherry tomatoes and slice of Tesco's high protein bread with Lurpack
L. Less sugar latte and a bowl of yesterday's broth (still good and some went off to feed grandsons and son/daughter in law). Still have some left!
D. Air fried chicken wings and salad with Helmanns (the aroma from the chicken is wonderful)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: none
S1: 2 squares 70%
S2: crispy bacon strips
S3: small bag saltnvinegar crisps! :wideyed: 12g carbs
D: slow cooked ham in orange juice and leek stir fried in butter and black pepper. Please do not underestimate the amount of leek. It was epic.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
B: Bulletproof coffee

S: two coconut fat bombs

L: pork belly with cabbage, bok choi and leeks; clementine

D: baked mackerel with veg; the last slice of Shropshire Blue cheese from Christmas

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: Cold meat and salad
D: Indian Restaurant spiced Lamb shank with veggies, turned down the Rice, offered a Naan, turned that down and offered extra veg - result!

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
D. My souffle omelette with aubergine chips.
Thanks, I've nicked them.
B Fried bacon, eggs, tomatoes, 2 mugs coffee with cream. BAD IDEA. Felt ill at yoga later.
L Half Lidl roll with cheese, Polish sausage, tomatoes, cucumber, mayo (sat in the sun in the garden)
D Steamed salmon in coconut and chilli sauce, leeks, green beans, celeriac
Pud: Home-made chocolate brownie. So rich that an inch square is enough.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thursday
first meal - corned beef and salad
Coffee and nuts
Second meal white fish and cauliflower with mayonnaise
There is still so much cauliflower after I bought everything for Christmas twice. I still have parsnips, sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, but at least all the cooked meat has been defrosted and eaten.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday
breakfast - porridge
lunch - homemade veggie soup
dinner - chicken curry with cauliflower and broccoli

Thursday
breakfast - porridge, usual with almond milk and ground flax seed added
lunch - beef and broccoli soup (had some left over sliced roast beef to use up)
dinner - sausage casserole made with Lidl chipolatas, cauli rice on the side

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Bacon, egg and coffeesubstitute
L: none
S1: half a gluten free muffin (lemon and poppy seed) in a new coffee place in our local shopping centre. Peppermint tea. Interesting. Barely a blip on the ol' bg. So then I ate the other half. Same result. Brill, eh? Only now I won't be able to resist on our next shopping trip.
S2: two slices of homemade Soul Bread (only 2x3 inches), toasted, then grilled with cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Not sure if I will need anything else to eat, but will edit if I do.

In case anyone is interested, Soul Bread (google it) is a very easy, very nice LC gluten free bread recipe. It is usually made with cream cheese, eggs and whey protein powder, but I can't take whey, so I swapped it for Hemp protein powder, which is muddy green. So my loaf is kind of swamp water green-brown which is AWESOME!!! Tastes a bit earthy, so it goes well with cheese and marmite and pate, but not so well with jam and sweet stuff. Mr B has pronounced it a keeper.
May try Pea Protein powder next time. That'll probably make a Kermit Green loaf. Can't wait!

Reactions: DeejayR and geefull

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with cream

L. 20g extra mature cheddar

40minutes swimming

D.
Indian restaurant. 1 poppadom , chicken tikka starter with green salad, chicken balti no rice no naan.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh Friday = Aqua Fit & Water Running
B. Less sugar latte, Tesco high protein bread and egg/salad cream
L. M&S Chicken Teriyaki from the snack bit. 4 mozzarella pearls, 4 bits cracked pepper squid, 2 bits roasted red pepper, 3 walnuts and a less sugar latte.
D. M&S red thai chicken with courgetti . (One of their Balanced for you range. Very tasty at only 8.1 carbs and 218 calories. There is some nice stuff in the range but they go and spoil a lot of them by adding potato and rice, pasta which ups the carb contents. I noticed on some they had a warning that carb consumption was important for brain cells. Shame could have been ideal for evenings like tonight where other half is at the football)