What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I've looked back and found it. Will check in Tesco.
It’s on offer in Sainsbury’s and Tesco at moment for 2 pound per pack 200g and the endame and mung bean fettuccine is what I tried as lowest carb count hope you enjoy secret as with any pasta is the depth of the sauce it’s just a carrier for the sauce but also like the bite of it very similar to pasta.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to this cold I went to bed on 8.2 but it dropped overnight. FBG 6.5. Went swimming this morning and the steam helped the congestion. Everyone must have been having a last lie in before thing's return to normal as the pool was really quiet. Anyway, I'm going to have a few weeks of Diet Doctor Keto mealplans as I fancy not having to think about what I am making every day.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich. This is a new recipe and rather nice. Went down well while the rest of my carbaholic family were having bacon rolls post swimming.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/no-bread-keto-breakfast-sandwich
L. Nothing. I'm supposed to have a keto tuna salad but it is too much food for me so later I'll have a bit low carb lemon cake as the carb count is lower than the salad.
D. One of my favourite DD recipes, the hamburger patties with fried cabbage ( am I ready to face cabbage again?). Seriously, it's a great recipe.
After, a slice of the low carb lemon cake with a cafe hag.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hamburger-patties-tomato-sauce-cabbage/servings/1

https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/recipe/keto-lemon-coconut-cake/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to this cold I went to bed on 8.2 but it dropped overnight. FBG 6.5. Went swimming this morning and the steam helped the congestion. Everyone must have been having a last lie in before thing's return to normal as the pool was really quiet. Anyway, I'm going to have a few weeks of Diet Doctor Keto mealplans as I fancy not having to think about what I am making every day.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich. This is a new recipe and rather nice. Went down well while the rest of my carbaholic family were having bacon rolls post swimming.

L. Nothing. I'm supposed to have a keto tuna salad but it is too much food for me so later I'll have a bit low carb lemon cake as the carb count is lower than the salad.
D. One of my favourite DD recipes, the hamburger patties with fried cabbage ( am I ready to face cabbage again?). Seriously, it's a great recipe.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-hamburger-patties-tomato-sauce-cabbage/servings/1

Those recipes look great. I’m also having burgers tonight, but an Atkins recipe. Will see if I can find it online - got it out of a book.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for recipes look good fancy trying the lemon cake what sweetner did you use?

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s on offer in Sainsbury’s and Tesco at moment for 2 pound per pack 200g and the endame and mung bean fettuccine is what I tried as lowest carb count hope you enjoy secret as with any pasta is the depth of the sauce it’s just a carrier for the sauce but also like the bite of it very similar to pasta.
I also like Oomi noodles which I've only ever seen in Tesco. They are good for a super quick pasta as they only need warmed.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B- 1 slice Hi lo toast witht buttter and marmite
L - double celery soup
D - mushroom, prawn and asparagus stirfry
Snack- I had 100geleriac left over from making the soup so turneg it into celeriac chips which went very wll with a bit of egg free mayo. 15g roasted almonds
Drinks - 1 unsweetened cashew and Koko milk cocoa. 2 litres water
845 cals 35g carbs

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Can I add that despite this cold my BGs have only gone in one direction today since this morning - downwards. The no bread sandwich had me nudging down by 0.1 every 40 mins or so. I was at 5.6 before dinner and currently am 4.6. Weird. Not complaining though - just weird.
Earlier I can put down to the delayed effect of swimming but confused by the post dinner although carbs have been very low today.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: small glass kefir
L: none
D: sliced leg of lamb, with brothand a knob of butter melted on top.

Snack: a couple of GreenandBlacks mini chocs (70%)
I've been eyeing up these Green & Blacks minis. Tescos had loads of them but I wasn't sure that 70% was high enough for me.

PS Diet Doctor has a Keto Challenge now. They've also got loads of Keto mealplans. Still have my favourites but there are some cracking new recipes and it's a kit more user friendly. I'd forgotten how good these hamburger patties are.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all No breakfast today as not hungry just coffee
Lunch made a guacamole and made some cheese ‘crisps’ to go with it delicious
Dinner chicken curry with half a Lidl protein roll sliced and fried in butter - instead of Nan!
Coffee with cream and 2 hotel chocolate buttons pre dinner 4.7 post dinner 5.3 so no real spike.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B- 1 slice Hi lo toast witht buttter and marmite
L - double celery soup
D - mushroom, prawn and asparagus stirfry
Snack- I had 100geleriac left over from making the soup so turneg it into celeriac chips which went very wll with a bit of egg free mayo. 15g roasted almonds
Drinks - 1 unsweetened cashew and Koko milk cocoa. 2 litres water
845 cals 35g carbs
Sounds lovely

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Breakfast - none
Lunch/mid-afternoon snack - raspberries and cream
Dinner - home made burgers with onion, feta and tomato with a side of cauliflower cheese followed by Oppo chocolate and hazelnut ice cream with cream.

The burgers are an Atkins recipe - https://www.atkins.com/recipes/beef-burger-with-feta-and-tomato/1036 and very tasty. They freeze well, so made 4 portions and stuck 3 in the freezer.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you losing lots of weight with your almost zero carbs?

Haha! I NEVER lose weight.
OK, that is an exaggeration. I am sure that there are some circs where weight loss would be inevitable, but I've never found a way that is sustainable or endurable for more than a few days.

I lost a few pounds over Xmas, mainly because the tummy bug meant I was hardly eating anything.
Then when I came back to food and this ZC thing, I gained 2 pounds back immediately and stabilized. No loss since.

I'm actually feeling so good on it, and enjoying the generous meat portions to the extent that I am considering continuing for another week of this. It is breathtakingly simple not to have to think and phaff about with veg. But I don't have any expectations for weight loss. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! I NEVER lose weight.
OK, that is an exaggeration. I am sure that there are some circs where weight loss would be inevitable, but I've never found a way that is sustainable or endurable for more than a few days.

I lost a few pounds over Xmas, mainly because the tummy bug meant I was hardly eating anything.
Then when I came back to food and this ZC thing, I gained 2 pounds back immediately and stabilized. No loss since.

I'm actually feeling so good on it, and enjoying the generous meat portions to the extent that I am considering continuing for another week of this. It is breathtakingly simple not to have to think and phaff about with veg. But I don't have any expectations for weight loss. :)
Most important thing is that you are enjoying what you are eating and feeling good on it. I seem to lose weight when I zero the carbs but clearly it’s individual. Can imagine though would be easier not to phaff with the veg I cut my finger preparing celeriac the other day!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most important thing is that you are enjoying what you are eating and feeling good on it. I seem to lose weight when I zero the carbs but clearly it’s individual. Can imagine though would be easier not to phaff with the veg I cut my finger preparing celeriac the other day!

Yes, I've been doing a bit of reading on ZC the last couple of days, and reactions to it seem to be very individual, with some ppl actually gaining weight. So I guess I have to wait and see. At the mo I have two concerns. The first is too much protein. I had a lab test a couple of years ago showing protein in urine, and I have tried not to overdo the protein since. To achieve that on ZC means having quite a lot of fat instead of the meat - which I have not yet achieved.

My second concern is that I am really only doing this until my gut recovers. So far veg intake has been uncomfortable. But I could get so used to this that I stop bothering to test for veg reintroduction! lol.

Reactions: cdpm and shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I've been doing a bit of reading on ZC the last couple of days, and reactions to it seem to be very individual, with some ppl actually gaining weight. So I guess I have to wait and see. At the mo I have two concerns. The first is too much protein. I had a lab test a couple of years ago showing protein in urine, and I have tried not to overdo the protein since. To achieve that on ZC means having quite a lot of fat instead of the meat - which I have not yet achieved.

My second concern is that I am really only doing this until my gut recovers. So far veg intake has been uncomfortable. But I could get so used to this that I stop bothering to test for veg reintroduction! lol.
Good luck look forward to the daily menus! Hard though to keep protein low on zero carb especially also after so many years of trying to keep low fat it’s hard to go mainly fat would imagine after years of official advice to go high carb and low fat !