What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Brekkie . O6 00 . 2 small burgen bread and mature cheddar Cup of tea . 2 Splenda

Lunch . 12 00 . Ham chicken and cheese 3 egg ommlette
Bottle of still water

Tea . 4 sesame seed ryvita with tin of salmon and mature cheddar cheese . 2 Strawberries with double cream . 2 cups of tea

Don’t know how many carbs but I think it’s about 65 gms . Is that low enough to try and reverse T2 and get of the Met

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie . O6 00 . 2 small burgen bread and mature cheddar Cup of tea . 2 Splenda

Lunch . 12 00 . Ham chicken and cheese 3 egg ommlette
Bottle of still water

Tea . 4 sesame seed ryvita with tin of salmon and mature cheddar cheese . 2 Strawberries with double cream . 2 cups of tea

Don’t know how many carbs but I think it’s about 65 gms . Is that low enough to try and reverse T2 and get of the Met
Hi @peadair it’s individual re numbers of carbs you need to go to to reverse diabetes. I needed to go below 30g plus needed to lose weight and this level worked for both for me.
Are you testing your blood sugars before meals and two hours afterwards? Thats really the best way to work out what type of carbs suit you or not and how much you can tolerate. Any more advice do ask us.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @peadair it’s individual re numbers of carbs you need to go to to reverse diabetes. I needed to go below 30g plus needed to lose weight and this level worked for both for me.
Are you testing your blood sugars before meals and two hours afterwards? Thats really the best way to work out what type of carbs suit you or not and how much you can tolerate. Any more advice do ask us.
Haven’t been testing . As only diagnosed 3 weeks ago .Seeing the doc on Tuesday .So have a million questions for him after all the reading on here . He never told me my results ,just that I was now diabetic put me on Met (which is creating havoc on my guts and my work) . I’ll get the readings etc on Tuesday ... poor doc doesn’t know the storm that’s comin. Can I just ask. What happens to you if you go overboard and eat or drink loads of carbs in a day . How would you feel . Had a bad hypo on Patrick’s night through to much alcohol don’t want to repeat that feelin

Reactions: ziggy_w

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - leftover egg muffin, oatcake with houmous
L - mozzarella and tomato salad & mango chia pod
D - soya mince bolognese, grated cheese, salad & oppo ice-cream - salted caramel flavour - had not tried this flavour before and it was very moreish - didn't stop at 2 scoops - not sure I should buy again!
Snacks - 85% dark chocolate, cashew nuts

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t been testing . As only diagnosed 3 weeks ago .Seeing the doc on Tuesday .So have a million questions for him after all the reading on here . He never told me my results ,just that I was now diabetic put me on Met (which is creating havoc on my guts and my work) . I’ll get the readings etc on Tuesday ... poor doc doesn’t know the storm that’s comin
Hi @paedair will be very good to see your hbaca1 results as will help you see how far you need to go. Ive gone from 97 to now 33 and lost three stone mainly by low carb and high fat and am no longer on met. I found that Metformin and low carb made havoc with my guts and had to give up on the met and no longer need it thankfully. I find that diet is much more powerful than Metformin. Do consider testing it’s a powerful tool but not one that the NHS will approve paying for. We can recommend some meters if you’re interested?

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t been testing . As only diagnosed 3 weeks ago .Seeing the doc on Tuesday .So have a million questions for him after all the reading on here . He never told me my results ,just that I was now diabetic put me on Met (which is creating havoc on my guts and my work) . I’ll get the readings etc on Tuesday ... poor doc doesn’t know the storm that’s comin. Can I just ask. What happens to you if you go overboard and eat or drink loads of carbs in a day . How would you feel . Had a bad hypo on Patrick’s night through to much alcohol don’t want to repeat that feelin
Re the hypo query think I’ve heard there can be false hypos to do with you not been used to having lower blood sugars and alcohol with met could be issue? @Brunneria any info on hypos?

Reactions: Brunneria

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @paedair will be very good to see your hbaca1 results as will help you see how far you need to go. Ive gone from 97 to now 33 and lost three stone mainly by low carb and high fat and am no longer on met. I found that Metformin and low carb made havoc with my guts and had to give up on the met and no longer need it thankfully. I find that diet is much more powerful than Metformin. Do consider testing it’s a powerful tool but not one that the NHS will approve paying for. We can recommend some meters if you’re interested?
I’ll be stayin low carb for the foreseeable future and will be testing after I see the doctor .Im thinkin of investing in that needle free libre monitor . Seems to work out just as expensive as strips and lancets

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (carefully measured 2 tsp) washed down with a white coffee (still using almond milk to save calories and carbs)
Lunch: ham with salad made from cauli, brocolli, radishes and celery with mayo followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: ‘lasagne’ (made with butternut squash instead of pasta), cauliflower and brocolli followed by strawberries, vanilla Oppo and one square of Tesco 85% chocolate.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be stayin low carb for the foreseeable future and will be testing after I see the doctor .Im thinkin of investing in that needle free libre monitor . Seems to work out just as expensive as strips and lancets
Sounds like a good plan make sure though you include enough healthy fats to keep full so you don’t get tempted by the carbs. Dietdoctor.com is great for food ideas if you haven’t checked it out yet. Good luck on Tuesday.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t been testing . As only diagnosed 3 weeks ago...

Can I just ask. What happens to you if you go overboard and eat or drink loads of carbs in a day . How would you feel . Had a bad hypo on Patrick’s night through to much alcohol don’t want to repeat that feelin

Hi @Peadair O Brionn

If you go overboard and eat lots of carbs, your blood glucose will rise significantly - like I did today - then you may get other symptoms - like I did - sleepiness, brain fog, heavy limbed tiredness. But not everyone gets those.

Do you have a history of hypos? If not, as a Type 2, you shouldn’t have to worry about them unless you have too much alcohol or take strong blood glucose lowering drugs. Some of us type 2s do have hypos, but we usually have other health issues, or the strong drugs.

Hope that helps. :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Thanks so much for your kind wishes @shelley262 and @Goonergal. The cold is a bit better today, after having slept for 12 hours on taking the antihistamine/sleeping aid. Felt groggy half the day, though. Therefore, if I decide to take it tonight, it will only be half a tablet.

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and erythritol. Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing, parmesan and two medium-boiled eggs. Tuna sashimi with a low-carb Asian-inspired dip, about 60g of hummus.

Lunch: Two DD keto rolls fresh from the oven, one roll with butter, the other with chicken liver pate.

Dinner: 50g of Explore Cuisine Mung Bean-Edamame fettuccine with pesto Genovese, about 50g of lamb and roasted vegetables. Low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Reactions: maglil55

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Peadair O Brionn

If you go overboard and eat lots of carbs, your blood glucose will rise significantly - like I did today - then you may get other symptoms - like I did - sleepiness, brain fog, heavy limbed tiredness. But not everyone gets those.

Do you have a history of hypos? If not, as a Type 2, you shouldn’t have to worry about them unless you have too much alcohol or take strong blood glucose lowering drugs. Some of us type 2s do have hypos, but we usually have other health issues, or the strong drugs.

Hope that helps. :)
Thanks it does . Think it was defo the alcohol had quite a bit over Friday and Saturday . But won’t be doin that again really don’t want to end up on the kitchen floor again really scary stuff . Lucky for me my missus heard me and came out and got me some lemonade , that got me back on this planet

Reactions: Brunneria

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 1733770, member: 455169"I found that Metformin and low carb made havoc with my guts and had to give up on the met and no longer need it thankfully. ?[/QUOTE]

Shelley did you have problems with gutrot all the time you were taking met or did it start/ get worse once you started lchf?
Ive noticed a fair amount of tummy pains recently which I’ve thought might be connected to drinking too much coffee on an empty stomach while IFing, but having read your post I’m wondering if its the met/ lchf combo.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have forgotten to post my grub....

B: coffee and cream x2

L: coconut porridge and raspberries

Mid aft: spoonful of greek yog and a few more raspberries.

D: shredded sprouts fried with bacon lardons. Mozzarella and cheddar mixed in. Wish I could say it was nicer than it sounds but it was way too salty really.
Choc chia pud to follow

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 1733770, member: 455169"I found that Metformin and low carb made havoc with my guts and had to give up on the met and no longer need it thankfully. ?

Shelley did you have problems with gutrot all the time you were taking met or did it start/ get worse once you started lchf?
Ive noticed a fair amount of tummy pains recently which I’ve thought might be connected to drinking too much coffee on an empty stomach while IFing, but having read your post I’m wondering if its the met/ lchf combo.[/QUOTE]
I was having few probs on Metformin before - I did have lots when I started on the pills but adjusted over a few weeks and only occasional after that until when went low carb and especially intermittent fasting when I just couldn’t carry on with the met I had very bad pain and lots of time on the loo! Don’t know why this happened to me but it resolved immediately when I stopped the pills!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 that’s really interesting, I’ve only really had problems since starting IF but never considered until now that met might be the cause.

Did you discuss with your GP before stopping or did you just decide enough’s enough? How low was your HbA1c at the time?
( sorry for the barrage of questions)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 that’s really interesting, I’ve only really had problems since starting IF but never considered until now that met might be the cause.

Did you discuss with your GP before stopping or did you just decide enough’s enough? How low was your HbA1c at the time?
( sorry for the barrage of questions)
Metformin is supposed to be taken with food, if your fasting are you ending up taking it on an empty stomach as that might be what’s upsetting your stomach.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is supposed to be taken with food, if your fasting are you ending up taking it on an empty stomach as that might be what’s upsetting your stomach.

Hi Rachox, I pondered on this for a while and wondered if it was best to take the breakfast dose with lunch on fasting days, but that doesn’t leave much time between doses if next one is taken with dinner.
I decided to stick with a morning dose and have it with a mug of creamy coffee and hoped that would do the trick.
Now I’m thinking perhaps not.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox, I pondered on this for a while and wondered if it was best to take the breakfast dose with lunch on fasting days, but that doesn’t leave much time between doses if next one is taken with dinner.
I decided to stick with a morning dose and have it with a mug of creamy coffee and hoped that would do the trick.
Now I’m thinking perhaps not.

Try it and see. My GP didn’t think the timing mattered much. I’m on three a day and was sometimes forgotting the middle one at lunchtime. During a discussion with my GP he said just take two with breakfast and one with dinner it didn’t make any difference to my levels.