What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try it and see. My GP didn’t think the timing mattered much. I’m on three a day and was sometimes forgotting the middle one at lunchtime. During a discussion with my GP he said just take two with breakfast and one with dinner it didn’t make any difference to my levels.

Oh brilliant! Thanks for that, I’ll take with lunch then.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- coffee w/cream, 2 scrambled eggs cooked in butter w/pat of butter added on top, 6 grape tomatoes
L- ham on LC bun stuffed with lettuce, mayo & mustard
D- farmer sausage, sauerkraut, green beans w/butter, 2 homemade perogi w/sour cream & green onions

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rachox, I pondered on this for a while and wondered if it was best to take the breakfast dose with lunch on fasting days, but that doesn’t leave much time between doses if next one is taken with dinner.
I decided to stick with a morning dose and have it with a mug of creamy coffee and hoped that would do the trick.
Now I’m thinking perhaps not.

Hi there - Any bang from your buck from Metformin isn't dose sensitive, but is achieved by a working amount on board.

Missing a dose is extremely unlikely to impact on your blood glucose in the moment. Similarly, time of the day is unimportant. Missing several consecutive doses could begin to see the levels in your system drop a bit, due to the way it works.

Taking Metformin on an empty tumm could unsettle it a bit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal, the last time i made that DD pizza i forgot it used egg! Lol.
So I just used grated cheese. Worked fine without eggs. :D

Good to know. May well try at the weekend.

Chocolate bomb sounds delicious.

[QUOTE="DJC3, post: 1733842, member: 468536shredded sprouts fried with bacon lardons. Mozzarella and cheddar mixed in. Wish I could say it was nicer than it sounds[/QUOTE]

I was reading and thinking it sounded great!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 that’s really interesting, I’ve only really had problems since starting IF but never considered until now that met might be the cause.

Did you discuss with your GP before stopping or did you just decide enough’s enough? How low was your HbA1c at the time?
( sorry for the barrage of questions)
Hi i was away from home at time on hols last November when it started and I was on a one month one meal a day strict fast I wasn’t taking much other than black tea black coffee and water. I was testing my bloods and they were more in 5s and 6s rather than previous 7s at start and so I just ditched my 2 x Metformin as so painful. I continued to test my bloods and they continued to move downwards and I’d lost my stomach probs! I didn’t ring drs as away and when got back thought I’d carry on and review at my next review in early December at which when she informed me my hbaca1 was 33 And i informed her I’d had to come off the pills 6 weeks before and she said oh well but that I didn’t need them any more. A win win situation. Think it’s probably best to discuss but I really didn’t feel I had the choice and didn’t want to stop my fast which was ditching my middle fat and lowering my blood sugars!

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Cannot believe how hungry I was today. Not helped by an almost 4 hour long appointment at the eye clinic - most of which was spent sitting in the waiting room in between procedures. Not happy. Early morning gym visit may also have contributed to hunger.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - ravenous after my appointment. Ate the planned 2 fried eggs and smoked salmon but was still very hungry, so ate tonight’s dessert - portion of @Brunneria ’s mousse - and a bag of pork crunch. Mousse very good, if a bit solid. Would probably reduce the amount of chocolate next time as it’s a very intense hit and some smaller ramekins are in order.

Dinner - still hungry! Abandoned planned sea bass fillet in favour of trying the Diet Doctor Keto pizza. It was good, but a bit eggy, especially at one end: most of the egg ended up on one side so that end was a bit like a pepperoni omelette! Prefer the fathead recipe with almond flour, but might try adapting that to be zero carb. A sneaky 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons to finish.
Hi Goonergal,

Imade my first keto pizza yesterday....not quite zc but used a cup of cauliower rice, an egg and mozzarella, also added some garlic salt, onion powder and herbs. Cooked in the oven for about 25 mins flipping at half time. It worked and held together well...topped with cheese and bacon. Tried to upload a photo but it was too large! So was the pizza, I will be eating it again today!

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i was away from home at time on hols last November when it started and I was on a one month one meal a day strict fast I wasn’t taking much other than black tea black coffee and water. I was testing my bloods and they were more in 5s and 6s rather than previous 7s at start and so I just ditched my 2 x Metformin as so painful. I continued to test my bloods and they continued to move downwards and I’d lost my stomach probs! I didn’t ring drs as away and when got back thought I’d carry on and review at my next review in early December at which when she informed me my hbaca1 was 33 And i informed her I’d had to come off the pills 6 weeks before and she said oh well but that I didn’t need them any more. A win win situation. Think it’s probably best to discuss but I really didn’t feel I had the choice and didn’t want to stop my fast which was ditching my middle fat and lowering my blood sugars!

Wow! There are so many aspect of your post I’m inspired by - not least that you stuck to your strict fasting regime while on holiday! Your dedication has really paid off.

I’ll get next Hba1c after Easter and will discuss met with doc then. Hoping that @Rachox tip to have morning pill with lunch if I’m not eating breakfast will help for now.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! There are so many aspect of your post I’m inspired by - not least that you stuck to your strict fasting regime while on holiday! Your dedication has really paid off.

I’ll get next Hba1c after Easter and will discuss met with doc then. Hoping that @Rachox tip to have morning pill with lunch if I’m not eating breakfast will help for now.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.
Thank you but it was a uk holiday travelling around a few places in east so on move a lot. Wasn’t difficult as only having plain drinks in day and then could be more generous with ev3ning meal where tended to go a bit madder with fat etc but low carb! Harder in Italy recently as was eating three times a day lots more temptations and lots harder I’d say ....

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Catch up time again.
Wednesday - I didn't have the spiced ribs so I froze them and we'll have tonight. Hubby decided to have the broth so I ended up with a mish mash of avocado, fresh anchovies, prawns, Santini tomatoes, prawn coleslaw and mozzarella pearls.

Thursday

Bed 7.4 FBG 7.2. My achy arms have returned but BGs are fine during the day. Hubby decided he wanted to replace his tablet so a trip to the Fort was required. At least he took me for breakfast too after the school run!
B. Black coffee and a cooked breakfast of haggis, black pudding, 1 rasher back bacon, 1/2 tomato, square sausage, fried egg. Passed on the toast as did hubby - white bread! Much as I would have loved to eat the potato scone I gave that to hubby.
L. Nothing - not required
D. The cheesy corned beef thingy.
Today - Friday bed 7 FBG 7.1
B. & L Nothing. Not hungry. Don't know if having the cheesy corned beef thingy at night caused it.
D. Finally, the spiced ribs and coleslaw. May have a prosecco too.
Halo Top and raspberries.
Back at aqua this morning.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have forgotten to post my grub....

B: coffee and cream x2

L: coconut porridge and raspberries

Mid aft: spoonful of greek yog and a few more raspberries.

D: shredded sprouts fried with bacon lardons. Mozzarella and cheddar mixed in. Wish I could say it was nicer than it sounds but it was way too salty really.
Choc chia pud to follow
I do shredded sprouts with spring onion, bacon lardons and pine nuts. Very tasty.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today
B - jumbo oats, unsweetened almond milk, raspberries, knob of butter, cup of coffee
9:30 - coffee
D - wholemeal ham with garlic & herb Philadelphia sandwich and a salted caramel protein bar
2pm - coffee
T - 2 minute steaks, roast sprouts with a large flat mushroom, charlotte potatoes, onion gravy and a square Lindt 90%
Currently - coffee x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

@ziggy_w sorry to hear you’ve had a relapse. Hope the medications do the trick.

Having a few zero carb days. Wondering whether any of you more experienced cooks - @Rachox @maglil55 @shelley262 @Brunneria know whether fathead pizza would work without any almond flour, so a base made just of mozzarella and cream cheese? And if so, how long to cook it for?

Today’s menu was:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 boiled eggs, small piece of double Gloucester cheese and a peperami

Dinner - small brined chicken leg and 4 chicken wings coated in Parmesan: just dipped the wings in egg and rolled in the cheese. Didn’t quite get enough cheese on them, but worth repeating. Editing to add 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.
I see @Brunneria already answered. I would have said the same DD recipe. Remember DD also has the cauliflower crust and the aubergine pizza but they are less pizza like. I made Fathead the other day but since Hubby bought me a new Kenwood Chef for my birthday last November I used the dough hook to make up the dough and it made a difference. A lot easier to handle.
I learned to cook in a restaurant. My sister and her husband owned various establishments and I started off taking coats , progressed to the cold room for starters and desserts then the main kitchen. Certainly taught me to be organised when cooking for large numbers.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all at least sun came out here for a bit!
Breakfast one slice of bacon and fried egg
Lunch small pieces of vintage cheddar, Stilton and Shropshire blue and about 10 nuts followed by one square of 90% Lindt
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter served with cauli and broccoli cheese followed by low carb raspberry mousse
About to have some prosseco to celebrate the start of the weekend.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Mufflana glad you enjoyed the pizza

Not so hungry today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - forgot to take anything to work, so settled for a bag of pork crunch and a peperami from Co-op.

Dinner - 2 pan fried sea bass fillets followed by a very large portion of chocolate mousse. Experimented as it’s very solid: put half of it in the microwave for 15 seconds. A bit too long as it was almost liquid, but very tasty and think I’ve discovered a warm chocolate sauce that would be good on Oppo vanilla ice cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

Breakfast: Just a couple of coffees with cream until late lunch at 3pm

L: avocado, rocket, ham and a poached egg. 1 sq Lindt chocolate

Handful of nuts late afternoon - quite a large handful, too many really. Must avoid nut cupboard.

D: pork stroganoff with courgetti, asparagus and broccoli.
Will probably have a couple of HC 100% buttons with a decaf coffee later ( rock n roll lifestyle)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- coffee w/cream, 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices ham, 6 kalamata olives
Snack - 3 strawberries (cuz I get up too **** early, lol am I allowed to say ****? Guess I'll find out)
L- chicken sandwich on LC roll w/lettuce, mustard & mayo, chunk of cheese, 3 radishes
D- 3 chicken drumsticks, large tossed salad, red wine

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Fridays brekkie . 2 small slices burgen bread with mature cheddar . Cup of tea
Lunch . 3 bacon , 2 fried eggs , mushrooms . Bottle water
Dinner. Chicken breast fried in chilli olive oil , melted cheddar cheese . Half red pepper fried with the chicken , 3 strawberries with cream from the aerosol tin . Cup of tea