What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, started to post about an hour ago but it’s taken that long to catch up on all the news.
Hope you start to feel better soon @Goonergal @maglil55 @jayney27 sounds like there might be a bit of a bug doing the rounds.
@Rachox I note the mod crown next to your avatar, great news, well done. I loved Oxford by the way, fabulous city.
Topped up the chocolate buttons at Hotel Chocolate

My friends and I hired a house for our break this time rather than hotel, which was a good idea. I took the trusty lemon drizzle cake, which they all loved ( and one person took a chunk of back to their diabetic dad to show him ‘diabetic’ food doesn’t mean rabbit food)

We had breakfasts out and they were happy with my suggestions of full English type rather than coffee and croissant types.
I didn’t need lunch, they all had afternoon tea and cake though and didn’t press
me to have more than coffee, which I was grateful for.
Evening meals were fine too. Loch Fyne one night ( fresh hake, spinach and samphire) and a fabulous Lebanese restaurant next night - this is my new favourite cuisine: so much lovely low carb food.
Ate at Ask tonight, the pollo and pancetta salad, jolly nice. Oh and half of a bottle of malbec.

I took spare Adonis bars with me just in case but only ate one.

@shelley262 hope you have a good trip home and can get back to normal asap.
I had a great time but I am a bit relieved to be home and back in control.
Hi, throat doesn’t seem to be getting any worse so I’m hoping to be back to normal tomorrow. Good to read that you had a great break away and were able to maintain your control and in the process found some new foods to enjoy. :)

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fried halloumi chips, salad of raw cauliflower and broccoli with mayo followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: orange chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken supreme, mixed veggies and two tiny hasselback potatoes (totalling 35g weight, 5.2g carbs!) followed by Oppo vanilla ice cream, strawberries and one square of Prèt a Manger salted dark chocolate.
Congratulations on becoming a “staff member” in my opinion it’s very well deserved.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I note the mod crown next to your avatar, great news, well done. I loved Oxford by the way, fabulous city.
Topped up the chocolate buttons at Hotel Chocolat

We had breakfasts out and they were happy with my suggestions of full English type rather than coffee and croissant types.
I didn’t need lunch, they all had afternoon tea and cake though and didn’t press
me to have more than coffee, which I was grateful for.
......and a fabulous Lebanese restaurant next night - this is my new favourite cuisine: so much lovely low carb food.

Thanks for your kind words, I still do a double take when I see my green banner!
I’m glad you loved Oxford, I’ve lived here all my adult life and love it too. Glad you found Hotel Chocolat. Funny you should mention Lebanese Cuisine, I was looking into that the other day, there’s a new Lebanese restaurant at the entrance to Westgate, is that where you went?

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good day methinks. Bit of lawn mowing, dog walking and watching sport on tv. Menu reflects my fasting regime now past 48 hrs hoping to go another 24. Menu as such below:

B: 2 X 1.5 pint mugs Tea with almond milk and double cream:
MMS: 2 X Pint mugs tea with almond milk; 1 with 2 teaspoons inulin
L: Almond milk Latte
MAS: 1.5 pint mug Tea with almond milk
D: Bone broth with ACV and black pepper. 48 hrs food fast at 7.00 pm; aiming for 24 more
I understand summer but I have no idea of the point of winter!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11am one rollmop, three slices smoked cheese and two squares of very dark choc.
Possibly the best breakfast ever! Awesome flavour intensity. Simply delicious.

2pm a Macdonalds quarter pounder with cheese (no bun, no chips)

7pm cheesy eggy corned beef thing. With garlic.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
11am one rollmop, three slices smoked cheese and two squares of very dark choc.
Possibly the best breakfast ever! Awesome flavour intensity. Simply delicious.

2pm a Macdonalds quarter pounder with cheese (no bun, no chips)

7pm cheesy eggy corned beef thing. With garlic.
My weirdness is rubbing off on you. Hubby still yukking at my breakfasts and I too had the cheesy eggy thingy for dinner!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BGs are showing signs of returning to normality.
Bed 7 FBG 6.6 and finally returned to the 5's today. Fitted in Aqua Zumba and a gym trip and I'm finally shaking this cloud above me.
B. Still fishy - prawn cocktail, anchovies, mini mozzarella pearls and a couple of walnuts.
L. Made 16 salami and chorizo crisps and I ate the lot! Probably why I feel better.
D. The cheesy, eggy , corned beef thingy with hot sauce, chorizo and paprika. Put 2 eggs in it. Consuming a few pints of water now.
Went in search of Brunnera but no luck - came back with 3 Hostas though and many other perennials. Still want a Brunnera though so time to go online.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Still feeling under the weather. Aside from issues being explored by the doc, sore throat has turned into a cold. FBG this morning a couple of points above normal at 6.5. Took all day to finally get into the high fours. Still hungry but ate less than yesterday and Monday.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - smoked salmon and cream cheese with a side salad

Dinner - planned kippers but didn’t fancy them. Went for fathead pizza with reduced ground almonds and topping of pepperoni and Polish sausage, followed by lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons. Just had a post dinner snack of 20g Waitrose 90% chocolate, which is my new favourite.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last day of hols and another okay day food has improved in last two days thankfully. Also another long hike and long swim in cold pool but in the sun!
Breakfast 2 boiled eggs and 10 walnuts
Lunch grilled trout and green salad
Dinner starter marinated salmon and main rabbit - not sure about sauce but delicious
Leaving at 7am not too long now ! Back to planning when home and being in charge again! One of biggest probs has been lack of cream think have had too much milk prob should have had more black coffee but not that keen got to love my coffee with cream!
Waiting till get home for bgs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Still feeling under the weather. Aside from issues being explored by the doc, sore throat has turned into a cold. FBG this morning a couple of points above normal at 6.5. Took all day to finally get into the high fours. Still hungry but ate less than yesterday and Monday.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - smoked salmon and cream cheese with a side salad

Dinner - planned kippers but didn’t fancy them. Went for fathead pizza with reduced ground almonds and topping of pepperoni and Polish sausage, followed by lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons. Just had a post dinner snack of 20g Waitrose 90% chocolate, which is my new favourite.

Hi, I feel for you, I’ve been suffering with a sore throat for the past couple of days, it woke me at 4am and has since developed into a cold. So far it doesn’t seem to be affecting my BG levels, however as I didn’t feel like cooking after a busy day at work my partner suggested we go,out. I went for a carvery as I wanted comfort food but did succumb to 2 small potoates so will be interested to see what they have done to BG, will report back later!

Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I feel for you, I’ve been suffering with a sore throat for the past couple of days, it woke me at 4am and has since developed into a cold. So far it doesn’t seem to be affecting my BG levels, however as I didn’t feel like cooking after a busy day at work my partner suggested we go,out. I went for a carvery as I wanted comfort food but did succumb to 2 small potoates so will be interested to see what they have done to BG, will report back later!

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. Hope you feel better too.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling poorly today, my sore throat has progressed and I now have a cold.

Breakfast was a cheese omelette cooked for me, so that was a lovely treat
Mid morning snack some salami crisps
Lunch was mackerel pate with cherry tomatoes and sliced peppers
Dinner out as a treat as I didn’t feel up to cooking, opted for carvery as I wanted comfort food, did allow myself to be tempted (blaming the cold for my moment of weakness) to 2 small potatoes, BG before meal 5.2 so will be interesting to see 2 hr reading.

Reactions: kaylz91

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L: Low carb bagel, turkey, Leerdammer, spinach
D: 4 chipolatas, bacon medallions, halloumi, broccoli rice
Snacks: Half a Quest bar
And a Cadbury's highlights mocha with cream.

Best friend's wedding tomorrow which means a three course carb-filled sit down dinner (pate and toast, risotto, and cake!) which was planned months before diagnosis so no wiggle room to change. I might avoid testing for tomorrow just to enjoy the day (and mostly because I am terrified what the three course meal will do to my sugars, which have been consistent this week).

Reactions: kaylz91 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope all you poorly people are better soon xx
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: halloumi chips, salad of cauliflower, broccoli and celery followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: cookies and cream phd bar with a black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower, broccoli and sweet pepper salad followed by chocolate and hazelnut Oppo with strawberries.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if this has already been posted, but how do you make this? I love all ingredients involved so I am intrigued!!

:D
It is basically corned beef crumbled into a frying pan, with eggs cracked into hollows in the beef, with grated cheese over the top, lid on until eggs cooked to your liking.

You can, of course, add any veg, seasonings and anything else you like.

It is a bit like shakshuka eggs, but with corned beef instead of tomato/veg.

https://i2.wp.com/www.unicornsinthe.../uploads/2015/12/cheesy-shakshuka-1.png?ssl=1

Enjoy!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too hope all you poorly folk recover soon. Have you tried a slice of lemon and a slice of fresh ginger in hot water? Soothing and good for throats.
@ianpspurs good going, hope your fasting gets you where you want to be.
@Rachox I don’t think that was the Lebanese place we went to - it was in Nelson st, Jericho near the house we stayed in but I should think the style of food would be typical. Hope you enjoy it.

B: coffee and cream
L: prawns, avocado, rocket and a bit of M&S antipasti veg in olive oil. Adonis blondie afterwards.
D: salmon steak, baked. Green beans with butter an lemon juice, tomato and basil salad. Olive oil.
Choc chia pud to finish.