What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all.
I’ve had a day of lovely low bgs - average for the day is 4.8 I’ve had pretty much the same sort of meals I always have, so it’s with a sinking feeling that realisation is dawning: that I haven’t had coffee since breakfast, and even then it was 1 mug rather than2. I’ve been drinking mostly tea and almond milk today, might try the same tomorrow (if I can).

B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg, avocado. Coffee with cream

L: peppered mackerel with salad of rocket, avocado, radishes, walnuts and a tomato from the garden with olive oil and acv dressing. SF jelly and cream.

G&T with a few olives

D: roast pork, cauli cheese, buttered cabbage and roast celeriac with a glass of red wine.
Good luck with your coffee experiment I hope that it doesn’t turn out to be coffee that causes your higher BG levels :)

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out with dogs really early today (day off), and ended up at 9am in dog friendly cafe having bacon and egg with a herb tea, while the dogs feasted on a scrambled egg each

Not hungry til 3pm at which point I indulged in a very lovely rollmop with a blob of cream cheese.

Then chicken rogan josh this evening. I fished the chicken chunks out, since there was plenty of onion and pepper in there too, for Mr B

Oh, and a teensy blob of choc halo :D I will be glad when it is gone. I’m quite tempted to just eat the remainder to be rid of it. I just don’t seem able to chuck it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Hungry day which ended with me baking the flourless chocolate cake posted by @maglil55 pretty tasty and works out about 4g carbs a slice. Didn’t bother with the margarita cream (not much appeal to a teetotaller) and settled for plain old clotted cream.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 boiled eggs, Coop chorizo and Gouda rollitos (new product line, come in a pack of 4), 50g Trader Joes 85% chocolate

Snack - bag of pork crunch

Dinner - fathead pizza, adapted recipe with no egg, fewer ground almonds and 30% less ingredients. Topped with pepperoni and Polish sausage

Just tested the flourless chocolate cake with some clotted cream. Remainder will be taken to work on Monday.

@DJC3 I have the ingredients and new loaf tin ready to bake the lemon zucchini cake tomorrow. Seeking advice from the more experienced bakers. Recipe calls for 1 and a quarter cups of sugar. Looking up conversions granulated sugar (erythritol in my case) would be 250g and powdered sugar would be 160g. I have the granulated erythritol but 250g sounds an awful lot. Thinking of splitting the difference and using 200g. Does that sound about right?

Attachments

• 2F40B81C-67D2-48B0-9AE3-D6E26B09D820.jpeg
    2F40B81C-67D2-48B0-9AE3-D6E26B09D820.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 92AC6003-1A31-4009-A017-A00703D9190E.jpeg
    92AC6003-1A31-4009-A017-A00703D9190E.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 367
Reactions: jayney27

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Hungry day which ended with me baking the flourless chocolate cake posted by @maglil55 pretty tasty and works out about 4g carbs a slice. Didn’t bother with the margarita cream (not much appeal to a teetotaller) and settled for plain old clotted cream.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 boiled eggs, Coop chorizo and Gouda rollitos (new product line, come in a pack of 4), 50g Trader Joes 85% chocolate

Dinner - fathead pizza, adapted recipe with no egg, fewer ground almonds and 30% less ingredients. Topped with pepperoni and Polish sausage

Just tested the flourless chocolate cake with some clotted cream. Remainder will be taken to work on Monday.

@DJC3 I have the ingredients and new loaf tin ready to bake the lemon zucchini cake tomorrow. Seeking advice from the more experienced bakers. Recipe calls for 1 and a quarter cups of sugar. Looking up conversions granulated sugar (erythritol in my case) would be 250g and powdered sugar would be 160g. I have the granulated erythritol but 250g sounds an awful lot. Thinking of splitting the difference and using 200g. Does that sound about right?

I use weight for weight with erythritol - so 250g in this case. Its less sweet than sugar though.
I think @shelley262 adds a couple of drops of stevia as well.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Breakfast - none

I’d use weight for weight ie 250g I also add a couple of stevia drops to cakes made for family to give a bit more sweetness but wouldn’t if doing it just for me! I also normally would use a cup measure to check the weight needed the first time I did it - but that’s me! Hope it goes well chocolate cake looks very tempting.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d use weight for weight ie 250g I also add a couple of stevia drops to cakes made for family to give a bit more sweetness but wouldn’t if doing it just for me! I also normally would use a cup measure to check the weight needed the first time I did it - but that’s me! Hope it goes well chocolate cake looks very tempting.

Thanks @shelley262 and @DJC3

250g it is! I don’t have any cup measures (and wish Americans would just use normal weights!)

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 and @DJC3

250g it is! I don’t have any cup measures (and wish Americans would just use normal weights!)
I invested in a cheap set and use it to convert recipes first time I do them to grams so don’t have to mess with cups but your computer calculator sounds like a good solution. Hope it goes well look forward to seeing end result

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Breakfast - none

The cake looks good, was it a success and as nice as the Nigella choc olive oil cake.?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cake looks good, was it a success and as nice as the Nigella choc olive oil cake.?

It was definitely a success. Think I prefer the olive oil cake - this one would be worth a shot without the lime (I’m a bit of a plain and simple girl when it comes to food).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3164715B-C476-4BF9-8D86-ED2E23DAFBC2.jpeg FDB98615-9415-4AD1-B033-A0D431F79BAD.jpeg ACE93D7C-C588-45E1-A706-7476FE063747.jpeg Ok everyone, some more baking advice needed after a minor disaster with the zucchini lemon cake. @maglil55 @shelley262 @DJC3 @jayney27 @ianpspurs any ideas?

Pics of my rapidly collapsing cake attached.

Original recipe:

https://www.momontimeout.com/lemon-zucchini-cake-recipe/

I made lots of substitutions to keep it low carb and followed some advice on this website to try and keep proportions right:

http://www.paleopantry.org/article-replacing-flour-with-ground-almonds-in-baking-recipes/

So this was my final list of ingredients:

250g erythritol, 106ml olive oil, 2 eggs, 80ml almond milk (plain, unsweetened), juice/zest 2 lemons, 225g courgettes, 250g ground almonds, 15g chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt. Following the website advice I cooked at gas 3 instead of 4.

All looked fine but when I lifted the cake after the requisite 15 minute initial cooling period, it sank into the parchment paper and was obviously too heavy to stay in shape. The good news is that it tastes good - couldn’t resist a bit of a taste! Might tone the lemon down a bit, but not too sweet so will give it another go. Clean out of ground almonds and erythritol though!

Any thoughts on what I should try adjusting?

Thanks.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 27674 View attachment 27675 View attachment 27676 Ok everyone, some more baking advice needed after a minor disaster with the zucchini lemon cake. @maglil55 @shelley262 @DJC3 @jayney27 @ianpspurs any ideas?

Original recipe:

I made lots of substitutions to keep it low carb and followed some advice on this website to try and keep proportions right:

http://www.paleopantry.org/article-replacing-flour-with-ground-almonds-in-baking-recipes/

250g erythritol, 106ml olive oil, 2 eggs, 80ml almond milk (plain, unsweetened), juice/zest 2 lemons, 225g courgettes, 250g ground almonds, 15g chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt. Following the website advice I cooked at gas 3 instead of 4.

All looked fine but when I lifted the cake after the requisite 15 minute initial cooling period, it sank into the parchment paper and was obviously too heavy to stay in shape. The good news is that it tastes good - couldn’t resist a bit of a taste! Might tone the lemon down a bit, but not too sweet so will give it another go. Clean out of ground almonds and erythritol though!

Thanks.
I think it’s probably liquids as lemons vary in size and courgettes hold a lot of water I’d experiment with using less liquid! Great that tastes good though

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s probably liquids as lemons vary in size and courgettes hold a lot of water I’d experiment with using less liquid! Great that tastes good though

Thanks. I did squeeze the courgettes for a long time in a tea towel, maybe not enough! Used more lemon than planned as I wasn’t making the lemon glaze.

Assuming you can get 10 portions then it’s 2.6g carb a portion.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 27674 View attachment 27675 View attachment 27676 Ok everyone, some more baking advice needed after a minor disaster with the zucchini lemon cake. @maglil55 @shelley262 @DJC3 @jayney27 @ianpspurs any ideas?

Original recipe:

Thanks.
Hi, I would tend to agree with @shelley262 as it still looks very moist, it does look good though almost like a sponge pudding, yummy

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just what I was going to say. It has a wet look about it. You did right trying to get as much water out as possible from the courgette. I'd increase the oven temperature too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just what I was going to say. It has a wet look about it. You did right trying to get as much water out as possible from the courgette. I'd increase the oven temperature too.
You could up the chia seeds a little too. Wonderful little things for absorbing liquid.

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal my first thought was the liquid in the courgettes too, but everyone else has said the same I see.
I agree it looks like a yummy sponge pud though - perfect with a dollop of clotted cream I’d say.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still on the courgette theme I made the courgette fritters today and am indebted to @Dr Snoddy for the recipe - they are absolutely gorgeous. I struggled not to eat the whole batch as soon as they came out of the pan. Definitely a keeper.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal my first thought was the liquid in the courgettes too, but everyone else has said the same I see.
I agree it looks like a yummy sponge pud though - perfect with a dollop of clotted cream I’d say.
@DJC3 Re our exchange yesterday about the crime against humanity that is cupcakes - this is much more tasteful. :angelic:Courgette recipe may be an idea as it seems to be a bumper year. Also, does the batter come out crispy as that is something I sorely miss in my life

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Re our exchange yesterday about the crime against humanity that is cupcakes - this is much more tasteful. :angelic:Courgette recipe may be an idea as it seems to be a bumper year. Also, does the batter come out crispy as that is something I sorely miss in my life

It does seem a bumper courgette year - surprisingly so as I’d expect them to hate the drought conditions.
I used coconut oil to fry them in for the same reason you mention - I wanted a crispy outside and I thought this would be more likely than by using olive oil to fry.
They were deliciously crispy when hot out of the pan. Now they are cold, they are less so ( as expected) but still good.

Reactions: ianpspurs