What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had a filling day.. . Mainly of sugar free drinks.

As well as
Breakfast : bacon sandwich with 2 slices of protein bread.
Lunch : liver, onion, carrots and peas in gravy.
Dinner: 2 eggs and beetroot vinagered. 5 thin slices of smoked ham wraps filled with creamy coleslaw.
:)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all it’s technically Sunday but wanted to do quick round up before bed! Well done on 2nd cake @Goonergal shows great determination.
Breakfast one slice bacon, egg and a quarter of one piece of lo dough fried.
Lunch four LC seeded crispbreads with olive oil hummus and chicken liver pate and some celery
Mid pm choc olive oil cake and Greek yoghurt
Dinner starter hummus and crispbreads, main brisket done in slow cooker, cauliflower cheese, celeriac mash and broccoli with several glasses of red wine, pudding sf jelly and Greek yoghurt lovely evening with friends but much easier as at ours they had extra carbs including bread with starters, roast potatoes with main and tarte au citron in addition to other stuff. Great thing is that I didn’t feel different managed to avoid the carbs whilst really enjoying the evening.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all it’s technically Sunday but wanted to do quick round up before bed! Well done on 2nd cake @Goonergal shows great determination.
Breakfast one slice bacon, egg and a quarter of one piece of lo dough fried.
Lunch four LC seeded crispbreads with olive oil hummus and chicken liver pate and some celery
Mid pm choc olive oil cake and Greek yoghurt
Dinner starter hummus and crispbreads, main brisket done in slow cooker, cauliflower cheese, celeriac mash and broccoli with several glasses of red wine, pudding sf jelly and Greek yoghurt lovely evening with friends but much easier as at ours they had extra carbs including bread with starters, roast potatoes with main and tarte au citron in addition to other stuff. Great thing is that I didn’t feel different managed to avoid the carbs whilst really enjoying the evening.

Your meal sounds lovely, it’s so much easier if you are the one cooking isn’t it?
Did you cook the brisket in liquid? Ive recently come accross a slow cooker recipe where a joint is rubbed with a spice mixture then just laid on a bed of onions before cooking. I’ve only ever done casserol type meals in the slow cooker so I’m wondering if it’d dry out without the stock.

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see these all contain caramel. Is this the chewy, gluey kind that might threaten dental crowns?
Hi, I have only tried the peanut butter bar, I didn’t think it was gluey, I found it fairly soft but with a bit of bite as there is a wafer like element too. I think @Rachox has tried other flavours so maybe she has more experience to share

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see these all contain caramel. Is this the chewy, gluey kind that might threaten dental crowns?
Hi, I have only tried the peanut butter bar, I didn’t think it was gluey, I found it fairly soft but with a bit of bite as there is a wafer like element too. I think @Rachox has tried other flavours so maybe she has more experience to share

I’ve tried a lot of the flavours (possibly all of them!:joyful:) and I agree with @jayney27 , they are a soft caramel texture, not like a toffee penny from Quality Street for instance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your meal sounds lovely, it’s so much easier if you are the one cooking isn’t it?
Did you cook the brisket in liquid? Ive recently come accross a slow cooker recipe where a joint is rubbed with a spice mixture then just laid on a bed of onions before cooking. I’ve only ever done casserol type meals in the slow cooker so I’m wondering if it’d dry out without the stock.
I used to do a gammon joint in the slow cooker by filling the space around the joint with apple juice. Obviously wouldn’t do that now but I’ve heard people use Coke instead of Apple juice and wondered if you could use Diet Coke or diet lemonade maybe? The apple juice recipe made such a lovely moist meat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do a gammon joint in the slow cooker by filling the space around the joint with apple juice. Obviously wouldn’t do that now but I’ve heard people use Coke instead of Apple juice and wondered if you could use Diet Coke or diet lemonade maybe? The apple juice recipe made such a lovely moist meat

Ooh yum! I’ve heard of the gammon and Coke one - think it was Nigella. A diet Coke version is worth trying I’d say. I think I need to get the slow cooker out again and research some new recipes.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you on The peanut butter. Horrible stuff. I've tried to like it but it's just horrible I'm the same with stilton. I keep trying it but I just cannot like it.
@maglil55 I'm fine with peanut butter on its own just not in sweet food. I also adore Stilton - village near me although I know Melton Mowbray is the origin - again good job tastes vary. My most violent hate is rum butter - my wife's family love it. I can't even be in the same room as the stuff it make me actually heave as does even the smell of anchor butter even in another room :banghead:

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never done a dry meal in my slow cooker but sounds interesting. I use a fair amount of stock so have for gravy and it will become a curry tonight with leftovers!
Ate really late last night as one set of friends very late and I had indigestion overnight - a very rare occurrence since I Went LCHF my normal long evening and overnight fast suits me better! Wonder how many carbs in Rennies I used to need them most nights before plus the weight I was carrying then on my middle didn’t help !

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My slow cooker tends to go into hibernation in the summer!
However I just googled slow cooked gammon in Diet Coke and here we are, just leave out the honey I guess!
https://tastefullyvikkie.com/2016/05/12/slimming-world-slow-cooker-edit cola-gammon-2-syn-the-lot/
Thank you @Rachox im planning cooking gammon next weekend ready for mums two week visit and this sounds really great pre lCHF I used to cook in savoury liquid but then add a sugary glaze!
EDit I’m going to experiment with inulin as a glaze I think as it caramelises will let you know next weekend

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My slow cooker tends to go into hibernation in the summer!
However I just googled slow cooked gammon in Diet Coke and here we are, just leave out the honey I guess!
https://tastefullyvikkie.com/2016/05/12/slimming-world-slow-cooker-cola-gammon-2-syn-the-lot/

Lol I’ve just done exactly the same and was about to post the link! Actually I remember my daughter making this a couple of years ago when she was on Slimming World - and it really was good.

My slow cooker tends to be retired for the summer too, but thinking about it, its ideal for summer hot meals as you bung everything in cold then just leave it - no need to be standing over the hob or be opening and shutting oven doors.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Rachox im planning cooking gammon next weekend ready for mums two week visit and this sounds really great pre lCHF I used to cook in savoury liquid but then add a sugary glaze!
EDit I’m going to experiment with inulin as a glaze I think as it caramelises will let you know next weekend

Good idea re inulin.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never done a dry meal in my slow cooker but sounds interesting. I use a fair amount of stock so have for gravy and it will become a curry tonight with leftovers!
Ate really late last night as one set of friends very late and I had indigestion overnight - a very rare occurrence since I Went LCHF my normal long evening and overnight fast suits me better! Wonder how many carbs in Rennies I used to need them most nights before plus the weight I was carrying then on my middle didn’t help !

I use far fewer Rennies now too. I used to get heartburn after toast in particular ( never stopped me eating it though - madness!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All :)

Yesterday was nothing til 1pm at which point I had a large pork platter in usual pub garden.

To think that until we got the dogs I was completely disenchanted with pubs. Mainly because of the stinking cigarette smoke. Now they are the perfect spot for lounging (esp in the gardens in this weather) with the mutts. And I don’t even drink! Thank goodness for the smoking ban in public buildings. :D

Pork ribs, pulled pork and gammon. Gave two non GF sausages, 4 onion rings and the tomato to Mr B. Left all but 5 chips and the sweet corn.

Then at a mouthful of cheese at 11pm to prevent being peckish at bed time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As for gammon and joints in the slow cooker.

YES
Works like a charm.
I have a great (hairy bikers) recipe with leek and orange juice.

Absolutely no reason to avoid the OJ or apple juice or whatever, when cooking. Just don’t drink/bathe/glug the liquid afterwards. 99% of it just drains off.

I’ve also done some great bbq pot chicken in the slow cooker.
Bed of onion (or little balls of silver foil, or a trivet). Chicken rubbed in bbq spices. And a splash (no more) of water in the bottom. The original recipe was that a jar of bbq sauce provided enough liquid, but i’ve stopped using those.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonder how many carbs in Rennies I used to need them most nights before plus the weight I was carrying then on my middle didn’t help !

From Boots Website:
Peppermint flavour Rennies

"Ingredients
Active ingredients: Calcium Carbonate 680mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80mg.
Also contains: Sucrose and glucose (250mg) (Please see leaflet for more information)."

I checked the leaflet and can find nothing more about the ingredients. 250mg sounds like a lot to me. In the past, like @shelley262, I was consuming so many of these, I asked my GP to prescribe them for me. She was happy to do so, but it turned out that the ONLY one of the many versions of Rennies on sale that is not available on prescription is the sugar free one!!! Go figure!

"There is also a sugar free version:
Active ingredients
Calcium Carbonate 680 mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80 mg.
Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate 680 mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80 mg.

Other ingredients: Sorbitol (E420) (Please see leaflet for more information)."