What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: 2 eggs fried in butter
S: olives
L: Homemade chicken broth, 2 slices coconut flour / chia bread, piece of cheddar, blueberries & cream
D: Avocado & 1 97% sausage with mixed salad & Hellmann’s, cream cheese cloud

Reactions: 8 people

HelenW123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started using insulin (a month or so now) and am getting used to the low carb diet. Can anybody help with some easy swaps for bread and potates? Finding it hard after years of habit not to eat so much of them!!!!!! Written lots of other ideas from here already. It's a great place to come, sad I didn't find it sooner.

Thanks

Reactions: 11 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B 1 slice Burgen bread with 1oz dbl Gloucester cheese
L. 1 Turkey burger & 1/4 slice frittata tomato
D. 1 venison steak & garden salad veg
S. 2 slices crispy bacon & will have 1oz Herby cheese& 6 almonds for supper

Reactions: 3 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
@13lizanne . Did you buy or make the turkey burger? :)
Hi Mo, I make a big batch of Turkey and Chicken burgers and freeze them
I use the bits of chicken left on the carcas after Sunday roast and buy some cooked Turkey breast from the butchers , put them through my mincer then bind together with beaten egg, shape into burgers with floured hands. Flash fry then freeze what you don't eat then. It's cheap and low carb and really handy to have on hand. I defrost then heat in microwave for a quick lunch. ☺

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. :)

B. Raspberries with cream

L. Cold chicken

D. 2 chicken legs with butternut squash, onions, courgettes, mushrooms and red pepper, roasted with a dash of olive oil. I was very hungry after swimming. :)

I bought some 85% dark chocolate yesterday at Aldi so I will have a square if it's needed during great British menu. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just started using insulin (a month or so now) and am getting used to the low carb diet. Can anybody help with some easy swaps for bread and potates? Finding it hard after years of habit not to eat so much of them!!!!!! Written lots of other ideas from here already. It's a great place to come, sad I didn't find it sooner.

Thanks
I never found anything easy as substitutes, unless you count cauliflower instead of potatoes, mashed with butter, or perhaps with hard boiled egg instead of potato salad. I still eat a small new potato from time to time, mainly because I planted them before I started on low carb! I now make my own bread using coconut or almond flour, slice it and freeze it so it is easy to remove from the freezer. I found all the recipes by searching for low carb bread on Pinterest. Some people eat Burgen bread and LIDL high protein rolls (search it on this forum) don’t seem to spike blood sugar for many. Then there are Oopsies (again search it). There are options which other forum members use, so hope someone else will respond to your plea!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Cauliflower is a great substitute for both potato and rice. Boil then mash it with butter, salt and pepper to replace mashed potato, roast it (rub a little bit of olive oil into it first then squeeze some lime over once it has roasted - yum!) or grate/blitz it to make cauliflower rice and fry in some coconut oil - you can add all sorts of herbs or spices to this and it is great for soaking up sauce. For bread I have discovered Ugg chia and nut bread: http://uggfoods.com/products Most bread like carb free substitute I have found but certainly not cheap!! Or try oopsie bread http://www.food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736 or coconut flatbread http://divaliciousrecipes.com/2013/08/27/flatbread-coconut-flour-and-psyllium/

Reactions: 11 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, mushrooms, smoked salmon, cream
L: back to school lunches. Sausages, rocket, red pepper, coleslaw
D: curried meatballs, cauliflower & broccoli rice

Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 Fried Eggs & 3 Bacon
L: Goats Cheese salad, with a vinaigrette
D: Chicken Breast stuffed with goats cheese wrapped in bacon with courgettes and tomatoes
2 squares of 70% Lindt

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - bacon & almost bread
L - avocado & babybel
D - Sea bass in butter & griddled asparagus

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - nothing (fasting)
L - still fasting
Got really hungry after 14 hrs fasting, ate Marks & Spencer wild calamari rings (unbreaded) with red pepper and cracked black pepper, late afternoon.
D - wild Alaskan Keta salmon fillet, pan-fried in organic unsalted butter and organic Extra Virgin olive oil (stops butter burning, as ran out of organic ghee), with organic babyleaf and rocket, plus Mozzarella, red pepper and spring onion salad. Dressing of organic Extra Virgin olive oil and juice of an organic lime, with black pepper.

Reactions: 9 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
B: full fat Greek yoghurt, Safflower oil, nuts and frozen berry mix.
L: mixed veg and steak mince
D: Tuna salad

Reactions: 10 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Cacao zoats with different seeds and butter
L: A pork foot Szechuan style, peppers, oxtail-stock-buckwheat and parmesan
S: some brazil nuts
D: I went to the best Thai in town (most authentic, not fanciest). I got a steamed sea bass with garlic and lemon grass and a small bowl of Tom Kha Goong (prawn coconut soup). They made these for me without sugar and it all tasted divine! My post-meal BC was 5.8 :happy:

Reactions: 9 people

HelenW123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never found anything easy as substitutes, unless you count cauliflower instead of potatoes, mashed with butter, or perhaps with hard boiled egg instead of potato salad. I still eat a small new potato from time to time, mainly because I planted them before I started on low carb! I now make my own bread using coconut or almond flour, slice it and freeze it so it is easy to remove from the freezer. I found all the recipes by searching for low carb bread on Pinterest. Some people eat Burgen bread and LIDL high protein rolls (search it on this forum) don’t seem to spike blood sugar for many. Then there are Oopsies (again search it). There are options which other forum members use, so hope someone else will respond to your plea!

Thanks for your help, I will go and look on pinterest and visit Lidl, I think I've seen those protein rolls before. I know it will take some trial and error so will keep going and see if I can lower my sugars a bit more (I'm not too far out). Might try some baking with different flour too as I am starting to miss it!

Reactions: 4 people

HelenW123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower is a great substitute for both potato and rice. Boil then mash it with butter, salt and pepper to replace mashed potato, roast it (rub a little bit of olive oil into it first then squeeze some lime over once it has roasted - yum!) or grate/blitz it to make cauliflower rice and fry in some coconut oil - you can add all sorts of herbs or spices to this and it is great for soaking up sauce. For bread I have discovered Ugg chia and nut bread: http://uggfoods.com/products Most bread like carb free substitute I have found but certainly not cheap!! Or try oopsie bread http://www.food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736 or coconut flatbread http://divaliciousrecipes.com/2013/08/27/flatbread-coconut-flour-and-psyllium/

Thanks, some great ideas! I hadn't thought about other flours so will experiment with bought and homemade I think. Will also use cauliflower more as seems popular!

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mongolia I looked at the flatbread recipe

utrition – Each :: 185 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carb

So do I count this as 5 g or 16 g of carbohydrate? Sorry if this is a daft question.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mongolia I looked at the flatbread recipe

utrition – Each :: 185 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carb

So do I count this as 5 g or 16 g of carbohydrate? Sorry if this is a daft question.
Not a daft question, I'm not really sure what the answer is. I get 5 pancakes out of this recipe instead of three so guestimate each at being about 10g carbs. I think net carbs is an American thing?