What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice what do you use as a substitute for these food groups please?

Well, carbs aren't actually proven as being necessary for nutrition. Vits and minerals are, of course. So we need them. But we don't need the starchy carbs that come in root veg and grains. So you can safely cut them out completely, and still get full nutrition by eating veg, fats and proteins.

Of course, not everyone needs to cut them out completely (your meter will tell you if you need to do that :) ) so you may well be able to tolerate small amounts of starchy carbs.

So I would say cut down on the carbs til your meter and your body are happy, and fill the rest of the plate with more veg, meat, fish, eggs, cheese and other low carb dairy.

If you have a look through this thread, you will see that we have all found ways to keep the carbs low, while eating lots of different and flavoursome foods. @Rachox has a fab porridge replacement recipe. If I eat breakfast it is usually either coffee and cream or eggs and bacon, but there are low carb mueslis out there, and recipes if you want to make your own. :)

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice what do you use as a substitute for these food groups please?
Here’s the low carb coconut ‘porridge’ that @Brunneria mentioned, I love it, I have it every morning with cream and a couple of strawberries :hungry:

Reactions: laynche

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)

Cappachino and 2 pieces of seeded toast and margarine..... and
tested bloods 6.0 before meal and 2 hours later 10.6... just swapped to Victoza pen 1 week ago and have upped the dose from 0.6 to 1.2mg...
I am experimenting with foods but finding it difficult to eat small and often... but when I have a good meal I fall asleep and wake up with nausea... any advice or anyone else experiencing similar symptoms?[/QUOTE]
Why not try low carb bread? Sainsbury’s do Hilo at 5g a slice or Waitrose do livlife at 3.8g per slice both are seeded.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not try low carb bread? Sainsbury’s do Hilo at 5g a slice or Waitrose do livlife at 3.8g per slice both are seeded.
I looked all around a Sainsburys in Shirley Southampton for this with no luck. Is it normally in with the normal bread or somewhere special please?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked all around a Sainsburys in Shirley Southampton for this with no luck. Is it normally in with the normal bread or somewhere special please?
I mainly buy the Waitrose one only had Hilo a few times. They do tend to be hard to find and may have run out. Think best ask a member of staff @Rachox know you buy regularly where does your store stash it?

Reactions: jayney27

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mainly buy the Waitrose one only had Hilo a few times. They do tend to be hard to find and may have run out. Think best ask a member of staff @Rachox know you buy regularly where does your store stash it?
OK thanks. I usually buy from Waitrose or have Morrisons High Protein but I was visiting my son and the staff looked as though they would struggle to distinguish between elbow and where they sit. Since there was no Waitrose nearby I also concluded that walking around the area was not for a delicate flower like me:angelic:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A guy in the bakery at my Sainsburys said they only get half a dozen loaves in twice a week and they get snapped up quickly. I get a couple when I see them (yes I snap them up too!) and put them in the freezer. They freeze well.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are kept with all the other bread brands but need to be sought out, mainly because they are not stocked in any quantity and therefore get lost in the midst of all the others.
A guy in the bakery at my Sainsburys said they only get half a dozen loaves in twice a week and they get snapped up quickly. I get a couple when I see them (yes I snap them up too!) and put them in the freezer. They freeze well.
I do the same, visited my local Waitrose on Monday, they only had 2 livlife loaves and I bought both, I split one on half and froze it along with the other loaf.

Reactions: Rachox

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are kept with all the other breads but are a little harder to spot as they aren't stocked in the same quantity, this means they get lost in the midst.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are kept with all the other bread brands but need to be sought out, mainly because they are not stocked in any quantity and therefore get lost in the midst of all the others.
Thanks @jayney27. Sainsbury's is not local to me or my usual choice so that is not a problem but I will bear this in mind if my wife can persuade me to visit my son again while he lives there.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @jayney27. Sainsbury's is not local to me or my usual choice so that is not a problem but I will bear this in mind if my wife can persuade me to visit my son again while he lives there.
I sometimes resort to doing online shop as a way of trying to get the bread, it doesn't always work though, last time on the morning of the delivery they emailed to say the bread was out of stock, the substitute was a poor one so no bread that day!

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes resort to doing online shop as a way of trying to get the bread, it doesn't always work though, last time on the morning of the delivery they emailed to say the bread was out of stock, the substitute was a poor one so no bread that day!
My local Waitrose is good for livelife and Morrisons deliver High Protein bread reliably. I want to make my own but had no luck with the DD/Keto rolls. Can't figure out how to make those work.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local Waitrose is good for livelife and Morrisons deliver High Protein bread reliably. I want to make my own but had no luck with the DD/Keto rolls. Can't figure out how to make those work.
Ooh me too, I used to love making my own bread, that's one of the things I miss most, a lovely slice of freshly baked bread :arghh:

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 @DJC3 Thanks both for your kind words. Morning reading of 7.7 this morning so can only assume dawn phenomenon is playing silly beggars. Maybe I am just expecting too much too soon. I'm getting a little sick of only really being able to eat mainly meat and cheese and I just had a bit of a down day feeling like 'what's the point'. I'm sure I'll pick myself back up!
I had a few depressed days recently. Nothing was shaking it and there was no logical reason for it. Eventually it was an energetic aqua fit session and sitting down to plan my meals that helped. Diet Doctor is worth the subscription now being able to personalise the meal planner.
BTW it took months to rid myself of DP and even now if I'm catching something DP returns and won't depart until a couple of days after I'm bug free. I just try not to get hung up on it now.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a few depressed days recently. Nothing was shaking it and there was no logical reason for it. Eventually it was an energetic aqua fit session and sitting down to plan my meals that helped. Diet Doctor is worth the subscription now being able to personalise the meal planner.
BTW it took months to rid myself of DP and even now if I'm catching something DP returns and won't depart until a couple of days after I'm bug free. I just try not to get hung up on it now.

Thank you for your response - I am glad to hear you're feeling better! I was actually considering taking a trip to the swimming pool soon - I haven't been in years but I love the water. Everything I've read has said that fasting blood sugars are always the last to come down so I think I'll try to ignore it for now. My sugars for the rest of the day aren't that bad really and actually after eating two hours ago my sugars have gone down to 5.5, much more acceptable, so feeling a little better today already.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. OMAD continues ably supported by a daily dose of my hot chocolate.

Dinner tonight was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 rashers bacon and a birds eye burger followed by chocolate chia pudding with clotted cream and 2 squares Waitrose 90% chocolate.

Off to Pilates shortly.

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope you’ve had a good day. I’ve managed half a days work again so I’m happy but back to full time caring for next few days. My bgs are now going other way down into the 3s - it’s like a weird correction after two weeks at higher levels....... who knows why! I personally don’t feel as energetic in the 3s - mid 4s to early 5s seem to make me feel more energetic or maybe it’s psychological!
@Goonergal enjoy Pilates I’m not back yet because of my loss of balance.
Breakfast coffee with cream
Lunch one slice bacon, egg and mushroom followed by low carb choc cake
Dinner trout in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese followed by oppo ice cream

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day of waking later and higher fbg then trying to figure out how best to deal with the situation. Treading a fine line between wanting to control bg by fasting all day, rest and feeling obliged to exercise every day. I don't think I got it right but at least I ended up feeling I tried. Menu below:
B: 4 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk
MMS: 2 x Pints tea with almond milk
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and raspberry bar ; mug filter coffee with vanilla extract and 30 mls double cream
MAS: 2 pints tea with homemade almond milk; Chocolate bar (40 gms 100% chocolate mass with cream, almond milk and erythritol)
D 8 OZ Ultimate burger; asparagus; tomatoes; mushrooms; Strawberries; Clotted cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. OMAD continues ably supported by a daily dose of my hot chocolate.

Dinner tonight was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 rashers bacon and a birds eye burger followed by chocolate chia pudding with clotted cream and 2 squares Waitrose 90% chocolate.

Off to Pilates shortly.
I’m liking the chocolate theme!

Reactions: Goonergal