What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and sugar free maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: PhD bar and black coffee.
Dinner: all day breakfast at Hungry Horse, salad in place of beans and only ate one hash brown.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs re one meal a day query to me Omad means 23/1 ie eating within an hour but your routine comes well within Intermittent Fasting. !
@shelley262 Sounds like a busy day but with very nice food to fuel you. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. The response was what I understood OMAD to mean which highights the strength and weakness of it for me. In that method you are basically forced to reduce carbs otherwise you would have too many at one sitting but it must be very restrictive. Personally, I can flat out fast but OMAD either overloads me with carbs in one go or forces me to be too restrictive. @flexi06 and @Geranium72 I forgot to welcome you to the thread, sorry for my rudeness.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Sounds like a busy day but with very nice food to fuel you. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. The response was what I understood OMAD to mean which highights the strength and weakness of it for me. In that method you are basically forced to reduce carbs otherwise you would have too many at one sitting but it must be very restrictive. Personally, I can flat out fast but OMAD either overloads me with carbs in one go or forces me to be too restrictive. @flexi06 and @Geranium72 I forgot to welcome you to the thread, sorry for my rudeness.
I agree - that is what OMAD is about I prob had about 7/8 grams of carb in that meal. Back in October/November I did OMAD for four weeks and only had black tea or coffee or water for the 23 hours - I had serious weight to lose and this did it - think it was probably similar to a very low calorie diet like the Dr Taylor one as well as very low carb and made a huge difference to my blood glucose levels too but I had plenty of fat in storage to fuel this way of eating. I really couldn’t do it these days but don’t feel I need to with my bg levels and my bmi. Horses for courses!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and sugar free maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: PhD bar and black coffee.
Dinner: all day breakfast at Hungry Horse, salad in place of beans and only ate one hash brown.
Hi @Rachox how did your meeting go today?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t have a chance to post yesterday’s menu as I have a friend over from S. Africa. She’s staying the weekend with me and we sat up late last night chatting and unfortunately drinking - I’m feeling terrible now!

B: thought I’d give bread a go, so one slice Hilo toasted and buttered with a fried egg and mushrooms. This caused a 1.2 mmol rise in BG: not so bad in itself but it pushed my reading to 6.9. I might try again but later in the day when pre levels tend to be lower.

Snack: handful of walnuts - don’t usually get hungry midmorning, bread just isn’t that filling I guess.

L: avocado and M&S prawn cocktail. SF jelly and 2 strawberries and a spoonful of cream.

D: the DD garam masala chicken with cauli rice. A nice easy recipe to make for guests, followed by cheese ( and oatcakes but not for me)
We got through 2 bottles of Champagne and one of Petit Chablis between 3 of us, and I really wish I hadn’t drunk it so enthusiasically, my poor head.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs re one meal a day query to me Omad means 23/1 ie eating within an hour but your routine comes well within Intermittent Fasting. I’ve often done a different eating window important thing is not to eat during an extended period of time so if you eat for 2 hours it’s 22/2 or 4 hours 20/4 . I think what’s important is sticking to a regular method even though it may include differences. For example I did a fair few months where I did 23/1 one meal a day for two days a week but three or two meals a day remaining days. You need to work out what suits you and provided you eat low carb when you eat that’s fine.

@shelley262 Sounds like a busy day but with very nice food to fuel you. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. The response was what I understood OMAD to mean which highights the strength and weakness of it for me. In that method you are basically forced to reduce carbs otherwise you would have too many at one sitting but it must be very restrictive. Personally, I can flat out fast but OMAD either overloads me with carbs in one go or forces me to be too restrictive.

I agree - that is what OMAD is about I prob had about 7/8 grams of carb in that meal. Back in October/November I did OMAD for four weeks and only had black tea or coffee or water for the 23 hours - I had serious weight to lose and this did it - think it was probably similar to a very low calorie diet like the Dr Taylor one as well as very low carb and made a huge difference to my blood glucose levels too but I had plenty of fat in storage to fuel this way of eating. I really couldn’t do it these days but don’t feel I need to with my bg levels and my bmi. Horses for courses!

Hi @shelley262 and @ianpspurs exhausted last night, so a very early night (and consequently very early morning) for me so just chiming in now. Agree with Shelley, OMAD for me is a 23/1 fasting window. Like her whenI first embarked on it (which was while on holiday this time last year), I had serious weight to lose and consumed only water, Diet Coke and a sometimes a morning cup of tea aside from an evening meal.

I do think it is about finding what works for you - I don’t find it restrictive at all as I’m happy with very low levels of carbs and enjoy comparatively luxurious meals - in terms of fat - that I eat on OMAD days. Although at the start I wasn’t eating so much fat, it was basically protein and salad/veg as when much larger my body’s reserves kept me going much longer. The cream, high percentage cocoa chocolate and low carb desserts are much more recent additions to my menus.

These days OMAD is definitely harder, particularly longer periods of it and while I find that the post meal rise is often a bit higher than it might be when eating 2 meals in a day, it’s rarely more than 1.2 mmols and on a longer run of days that reduces considerably. The challenge now is that I sometimes get a very hungry day after a few days of OMAD and the hunger often comes on unexpectedly part way through a day, like yesterday!

@Goonergal did you take your bgs when you raised your carbs with the crisps? I would imagine they were fine and hope you enjoyed the crisps! Edit just spotted you did report a 6.6 so sounds okay unless you were below 4.6 on starting not too big a rise as think a 2.0 rise is ok even though like me you try and keep to a 0.5 rise where possible. But for unusual circs!

Hi. It wasn’t a scientific testing experiment yesterday as it was unplanned! The day didn’t run to time - some of the young people were traveling down by train and were delayed, so lunch was extended. Started feeling hungry and tested BG which was 4.1, so thought snacks would be a good idea as would likely be getting home later than planned. Was then sitting around the group lunch and decided to have crisps, then picked at them over a few hours, so no pre and post test at exactly 2 hours - the 6.6 was a couple of hours after the first crisps and when I got home was still at 6.5. Interestingly, having got home and then eaten the 85% chocolate (which is starting to taste very sweet) and salted almonds while waiting for dinner and then dinner (~24 carbs total) BG went down to 5.5 before dinner and only rose to 5.6 after. Woke to 5.5 this morning so looks like an extended period at higher than usual levels, but within a very acceptable range for an occasional abberation.

And to stay vaguely on topic, so far this morning I’ve consumed a cup of tea with cream and a glass of water! Planning OMAD and off to Waitrose later in search of reduced price Kleftico, @ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Thanks for the detail from both yourself and @shelley262. I suspect 23/1 with a target of a very low postprandial rise ( did I read .5 target?) would negatively impact me at the sub 73.5 kgs level. Dr google suggests the upcoming MRI scan will leave Drs clueless over leg/back issues BUT have plenty to do with fasting, Hba1c wildly different to my test levels, NSAID use and Metformin. We shall see how this unfolds but if I have corectly put together the evidence and they haven't I will be an angry little boy.
Good luck with the Waitrose trip, our local branch seems to have very good reductions on fish Sunday lunchtimes.
Today will be barbeque with family day featuring buffalo burgers, deer and elk sausages and a half size chocolate celebration cake. We will return to the local farm and food outlet for Impala, Zebra, kangaroo, and their own Ostrich and Crocodile cheek. We also have a wonderful looking buffalo rib joint for Tuesday which will go in the sous vide for a long time - does that count as living a little?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 and @ianpspurs exhausted last night, so a very early night (and consequently very early morning) for me so just chiming in now. Agree with Shelley, OMAD for me is a 23/1 fasting window. Like her whenI first embarked on it (which was while on holiday this time last year), I had serious weight to lose and consumed only water, Diet Coke and a sometimes a morning cup of tea aside from an evening meal.

I do think it is about finding what works for you - I don’t find it restrictive at all as I’m happy with very low levels of carbs and enjoy comparatively luxurious meals - in terms of fat - that I eat on OMAD days. Although at the start I wasn’t eating so much fat, it was basically protein and salad/veg as when much larger my body’s reserves kept me going much longer. The cream, high percentage cocoa chocolate and low carb desserts are much more recent additions to my menus.

These days OMAD is definitely harder, particularly longer periods of it and while I find that the post meal rise is often a bit higher than it might be when eating 2 meals in a day, it’s rarely more than 1.2 mmols and on a longer run of days that reduces considerably. The challenge now is that I sometimes get a very hungry day after a few days of OMAD and the hunger often comes on unexpectedly part way through a day, like yesterday!

Hi. It wasn’t a scientific testing experiment yesterday as it was unplanned! The day didn’t run to time - some of the young people were traveling down by train and were delayed, so lunch was extended. Started feeling hungry and tested BG which was 4.1, so thought snacks would be a good idea as would likely be getting home later than planned. Was then sitting around the group lunch and decided to have crisps, then picked at them over a few hours, so no pre and post test at exactly 2 hours - the 6.6 was a couple of hours after the first crisps and when I got home was still at 6.5. Interestingly, having got home and then eaten the 85% chocolate (which is starting to taste very sweet) and salted almonds while waiting for dinner and then dinner (~24 carbs total) BG went down to 5.5 before dinner and only rose to 5.6 after. Woke to 5.5 this morning so looks like an extended period at higher than usual levels, but within a very acceptable range for an occasional abberation.

And to stay vaguely on topic, so far this morning I’ve consumed a cup of tea with cream and a glass of water! Planning OMAD and off to Waitrose later in search of reduced price Kleftico, @ianpspurs
@Goonergal interesting my resistant starch experiment seems to have produced a very low fbg of 3.8 this am I'm usually in 4s. It may be the length of time you ate? Have a good day in the sunshine.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Is start a predictive text version of starch or something else I nee dto learn?
Should read resistant starch - was in a hurry and didn’t check text it will have been predictive that did it! Your day sounds good 3njoy and on that note mum is stirring so need to get on!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
First meal of the day was left over cottage pie made with celeriac mash (is there nothing this amazing veggie cannot do?).
Later on my second meal will be pulled pork, broccoli, cauli florets and green beans.
No snacks so far today but have had two bulletproof coffees and of course water.

Geranium72

Day 7 for me and the hunger is gone!
Wasn’t hungry until about 10.30 when I had a leftover slice of fathead pizza from last night and some berries with double cream.
Then not hungry until 4pm so had a cold leftover butcher’s sausage (pretty much pure meat) , a small chunk of cheese, a few black olives and a few cashew nuts ( have found out they aren’t the best option so once gone will buy macadamias and almonds)
Tea later will be a steak burger with cheese and bacon, roast squash and salad with Caesar dressing.
I’ve also made creme brûlée from Tom Kerridge’s dopamine diet book- replace sugar with a little ethriytol but mostly eggs and cream. It’s a really good book with some fab low carb recipes and the amount of weight he lost is amazing.
Oh and a celebratory glass of dry rose watching the football!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Successful 23/1 fasting day today, combined with a lot more walking than I planned.

No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was Waitrose lamb kleftico. Have to say was very disappointed. Recipe has changed since I last bought it and I don’t like the new one nearly so much. This particular love affair may have ended. Dessert was chocolate chia pudding with cream and 4 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - how are you doing. I was thinking about you today while petting my son's big soft lump of a dog.
Today was the boys swimming certificate day and it was sweltering in the pool. Whole family went to observe. Both decided to wear listening ears today and sailed through the required elements. No 2 is now level 3 and No 1 was particularly excellent and is now Level 5. They went off to the park afterwards and were going out to eat as a reward. I had to check on progress next door.
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.2.
B. Black coffee
L. 1.5 slices ox tongue, slice turkey breast, 4 of these little German sausage selection, tablespoon coleslaw and a spoon of the roasted aubergine babaganoush.
D. Campari and soda. 1/2 pack mussels in white wine and cream.
Rib eye ranch steak with fresh baby broad beans, remains of the buffalo cauli bites , 6 sweet potato chips and pepper sauce washed down with a wee prosecco.
It's still pretty warm here.
1 week to school holidays!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Successful 23/1 fasting day today, combined with a lot more walking than I planned.

No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was Waitrose lamb kleftico. Have to say was very disappointed. Recipe has changed since I last bought it and I don’t like the new one nearly so much. This particular love affair may have ended. Dessert was chocolate chia pudding with cream and 4 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.
It’s such a shame when that happens to something you like isn’t it? :banghead:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Lovely relaxing day in the sunshine, not looking forward to having to go to work tomorrow.
Lots of nice food today and some treats that were a little bit on the naughty side!
Breakfast was at a lovely tea rooms that we visit occasionally, bacon, egg, mushrooms, sausage, tomato, I passed the fried bread to my partner and only ate half of the slice of black pudding, was interested to see what happened if I ate the slice of toast, last time I only had half a slice but didn’t experience a spike, same today no spike :)
We had taken our fold up chairs and set up camp on the green over looking the sea, very relaxing and just the recharge we needed before the start of another week.
Treated myself to a clotted cream ice cream, I donated the wafer cone to the dog.
No lunch as I didn’t need anything after the breakfast and ice cream treat.
Dinner was a salad with some chilli chicken, a small slice of choc oil cake, cream and 5 cherries, will be interesting to see if they affect my 2 hr reading, everything else is tried and tested. Pre meal reading was 5.0
Edited to add add post meal reading 5.8 I’m happy with that

Last edited: