What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No reason other than doing other things so didn't eat until 3.45 when I snacked 2 cheesey dumplings and 2 slices of brisket - very hungry. Around 5.30 usual big salad with mackerel in EVO. 2 hard boiled eggs and avocado with lots of Chia seed. No better rhyme or reason to that than it was what I wanted when my body told me it was time to feed. Lots of tea and a mug of cocoa. Fancy acronym for that is BICD:angelic:

How’s Julie? Has she got any medical appointments lined up?

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw this also and was quite intrigued. I agree that the ingredients list looks a bit much. My initial thoughts is to cut all the ingredients by a third and make a pizza enough for me and Mrs Miggins. This gets us down to 300g of pork scratchings (about 7 bags). From there, I think that a third of these could be substitiude with almond flour and maybe a bit of ghee to increase fat content. I would want to get this to just two bags and two eggs so am planning to play with it this weekend.

I’m going to do some calculations later. Would like to find a recipe that doesn’t use almond flour. Did try a version which used minced beef, bacon and cheddar as the base but the base fell apart. Very tasty though and could be adapted. Let me know how you get on.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How’s Julie? Has she got any medical appointments lined up?
None lined up. She looked online and x-rays were rated "borderline" with no further action required. Implication seems to be knee may be arthritic to some degree but they won't be doing anything yet. She has requested more tramadol which may prompt them to do something - then again ..... Thanks for asking

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
I’ve never taken to pork rinds as an ingredient in cooking, and a base made of them and mayo... not filling me with enthusiasm...
But I am TOTALLY open to you doing all the experimenting and then telling me how delicious it is. :D

LOL. I like pork crackling and Parmesan as a coating on chicken, so am hoping this will be good too. Was thinking of using whipped creamy cheese instead of mayo but maybe one experiment at a time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A hungry day today.

Lunch was 2 fried eggs and 3 rashers bacon.

Afternoon tea was cake I baked for a colleague’s birthday. Chocolate olive oil cake. Nicest one yet - got it a bit lighter than previously. Very large portion with equally large portion of extra thick double cream.

Dinner was mozzarella stuffed meatballs. Replaced suggested basil with garlic salt and herbes de Provence and added some black pepper and onion granules. Pretty tasty. Made an extra portion and put in freezer. Dessert was one - yes one - chocolate almond butter square.

@zauberflote @dunelm @DJC3 on the pizza ingredients. The list was for two 12 inch pizzas. So need to work on half quantities of those. Based on that my estimate for a thinner 7 inch base would me 27g mayo, 148g pork crackling (3 bags), 16g Parmesan, 1 egg, 0.3 tsp baking powder. Starting to sound a bit more reasonable.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all had a good day today despite rain and cold wind.
Breakfast boiled egg and 4 lc seeded buttered crispbreads
Lunch sardines in olive oil, half an avocado and 4 lc seeded crispbreads ( this new batch, with hemp seed hearts in,is addictive!) plus about 10 nuts a mix of walnuts and three Brazil’s
Lots of green tea pm
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and asparagus, spritzer dry white wine and soda water, then lemon and lime sf jelly with fage yoghurt followed by four hc 100% buttons and one square of 95% choc with my decaf coffee ( got the nibbles!)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Felt a bit sick all day - had a sea salt and chocolate nut bar mid morning but other than that just a chunk of cheese and lots of water. Off swimming in a bit though so may be hungry when I’m back

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just taking a quick breather. Boys are residing here. Mum & Dad are off staying at the hotel their wedding reception was in 10 years ago, Hubby is at the football, Nana was verging on suicidal but they have now tidied up the obstacle course and will be getting ready for bed in 10 mins. Got yesterday & today to catch up on.
Bed 7.1 FBG 6.9 yesterday.
B & L - Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and spaced out over 7 hours I had 3 falafels, 3 koftas and 2 rollitos. I had to get the 2 of them to school in full fancy dress for World Book Day. No 1 full Harry Potter - No 2 ?? Well he was Peter Pan but everyone who saw him said "oh look , it's Robin Hood". At the start he was saying "I'm not Robin Hood , I'm Preston Pans" (which is a town along the coast from us). Eventually he said he was Peter Pan but by the nth time he heard "oh look" he was replying through gritted teeth. Had to collect Harry Potter at lunchtime as he had the first sedated dental appointment. Dentist confirmed what I thought - he was outstanding. Gas is very different now. With the aid of bubble gum gas he was 1 hr in the chair, compliant , no fuss and she got everything done apart from 2 small fillings one in each of the back adult teeth. So one next week, final one the week after. They all wanted macaroni so much later...
D. 3 GF pork chipolatas, 2 fried eggs, veggie chips. 2 bits Montezuma black forest (it was looking at me)
Today - Friday
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.4 but still getting surges into the 8's just.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Had to fit in shopping for their dinner tonight and put together a veggie lunch for No 1 picked them up at lunchtime and to my surprise (his teacher's too) he achieved all 5 values in one day - respectful to adults & classmates, caring to myself and others, achieving (basically doing what you're told to do when you're told) , resilience and nurturing. He got one heck of a certificate from the head for that! Doesnt happen too often. Maybe we should gas him more often?? Off to Lego Club after that and change library books.
As I dashed about, 2 falafels, 2 koftas and a slice of Dr Almond with pate pate.
Then picked up Mum & Dad got them to hotel then back here to make quorn mince with loads of veggies and mash (IP in action). For me Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 1/3 PhD raspberry bar. I doubt I'll have anything else - I'll be past it by the time they're storied out and sleeping!

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @res1492 and welcome to the thread :D

1 you can eat bacon and eggs as often as you like without significant blood glucose impact. So long as you don't add bread or other carbs, which WILL have significant blood glucose impact. :)

2 there has been a lot of publicity recently about how processed meats (incl bacon) may be detrimental to the health, and may cause cancer, particularly bowel cancer. We all have to make up our own minds on this. Me? I looked at the original studies on this, and came to the conclusion that the risk had been massively over exaggerated, and for the amount of bacon I eat (maybe 4 rashers a week), it wouldn't be something I would worry about. Your mileage may vary, expecially if you buy cheap bacon with lots of chemicals, and eat 6 tonnes of it a week. ;)

3 no idea. :bag:

Thanks Brunneria...i was kinda joking about question number 2 but i did find out the answer to number 3...."You can never have too much bacon!!!"

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None lined up. She looked online and x-rays were rated "borderline" with no further action required. Implication seems to be knee may be arthritic to some degree but they won't be doing anything yet. She has requested more tramadol which may prompt them to do something - then again ..... Thanks for asking

Oh poor her, she must be in a lot of pain. Hope you can get some help soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A hungry day today.

Lunch was 2 fried eggs and 3 rashers bacon.

Afternoon tea was cake I baked for a colleague’s birthday. Chocolate olive oil cake. Nicest one yet - got it a bit lighter than previously. Very large portion with equally large portion of extra thick double cream.

Dinner was mozzarella stuffed meatballs. Replaced suggested basil with garlic salt and herbes de Provence and added some black pepper and onion granules. Pretty tasty. Made an extra portion and put in freezer. Dessert was one - yes one - chocolate almond butter square.

@zauberflote @dunelm @DJC3 on the pizza ingredients. The list was for two 12 inch pizzas. So need to work on half quantities of those. Based on that my estimate for a thinner 7 inch base would me 27g mayo, 148g pork crackling (3 bags), 16g Parmesan, 1 egg, 0.3 tsp baking powder. Starting to sound a bit more reasonable.

I’ll be interested to see how it works out , 3 bags of pork scratchings definitely sounds less extreme.

D

Deleted member 308541

We beat the possums to the cherry tomatoes out at the shed, the vine needs to be cut back as it is started to spread. A future fire hazard I do not need.

CUUQkg0.jpg

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really hope I dont need to go to hospital or I will starve. It was bad enough a few years ago before dx. Anyway todays food
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, tea.
Lunch: Little Gem leaves, 3 cherry toms, 1 tablsp Waldorf salad, 2 cubes cheddar, small avocado.
Supper will be sirloin steak, mushrooms and Little Gem.
Found a bottle of Ribera del Deuro wine in Sainsburys to accompany the steak.

Btw cooks the Waitrose Illustrated March issue has some interesting recipes. The Potato and Black Pudding dish would work by using celeriac instead of potatoes. A couple of nice salmon dishes, roasted cauliflower with lime, and a quick jam using frozen berries and obs swap the sugar for xylitol or other.
Thanks for the tip off. I'll definitely pick one up next time I'm in.

Reactions: maglil55

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just taking a quick breather. Boys are residing here. Mum & Dad are off staying at the hotel their wedding reception was in 10 years ago, Hubby is at the football, Nana was verging on suicidal but they have now tidied up the obstacle course and will be getting ready for bed in 10 mins. Got yesterday & today to catch up on.
Bed 7.1 FBG 6.9 yesterday.
B & L - Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and spaced out over 7 hours I had 3 falafels, 3 koftas and 2 rollitos. I had to get the 2 of them to school in full fancy dress for World Book Day. No 1 full Harry Potter - No 2 ?? Well he was Peter Pan but everyone who saw him said "oh look , it's Robin Hood". At the start he was saying "I'm not Robin Hood , I'm Preston Pans" (which is a town along the coast from us). Eventually he said he was Peter Pan but by the nth time he heard "oh look" he was replying through gritted teeth. Had to collect Harry Potter at lunchtime as he had the first sedated dental appointment. Dentist confirmed what I thought - he was outstanding. Gas is very different now. With the aid of bubble gum gas he was 1 hr in the chair, compliant , no fuss and she got everything done apart from 2 small fillings one in each of the back adult teeth. So one next week, final one the week after. They all wanted macaroni so much later...
D. 3 GF pork chipolatas, 2 fried eggs, veggie chips. 2 bits Montezuma black forest (it was looking at me)
Today - Friday
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.4 but still getting surges into the 8's just.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Had to fit in shopping for their dinner tonight and put together a veggie lunch for No 1 picked them up at lunchtime and to my surprise (his teacher's too) he achieved all 5 values in one day - respectful to adults & classmates, caring to myself and others, achieving (basically doing what you're told to do when you're told) , resilience and nurturing. He got one heck of a certificate from the head for that! Doesnt happen too often. Maybe we should gas him more often?? Off to Lego Club after that and change library books.
As I dashed about, 2 falafels, 2 koftas and a slice of Dr Almond with pate pate.
Then picked up Mum & Dad got them to hotel then back here to make quorn mince with loads of veggies and mash (IP in action). For me Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 1/3 PhD raspberry bar. I doubt I'll have anything else - I'll be past it by the time they're storied out and sleeping!
I'm exhausted just reading this!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Felt a bit sick all day - had a sea salt and chocolate nut bar mid morning but other than that just a chunk of cheese and lots of water. Off swimming in a bit though so may be hungry when I’m back
I felt like that last weekend....I thought it was going to turn into a bug, but seemed to pass quite quickly. Hope you feel better soon and kudos for still going swimming.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be interested to see how it works out , 3 bags of pork scratchings definitely sounds less extreme.

Definitely. 20 bags sounded like the biggest pizza in history. To be fair the picture on FB was of a very thick crust. I feel trips to M&S and Lidl coming on tomorrow so pizza can be made on Sunday.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, thankfully no driving today for me, just a normal day in the office. For some reason, I have been really hungry all day.

Breakfast: Lemon and almond chia pudding with flaked almonds and a few blueberries. Coffee and cream.
Lunch: M&S Peri Peri chicken slices, olives, mozzarella pearls, sunblush toms, leftover frittata and salad leaves.
Dinner: Fathead pizza topped with peri peri chicken, mushrooms and olives with salad. Intended to only have one quarter, but the other quarter jumped into my mouth! Decaf coffee and cream. One square of Green & Blacks Velvet Edition Mint choc.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny day.
Lunch; a three egg omelette with spinach and cheese.
Dinner; defrosted some chicken soup and bunged in some spinach, cauliflower and broccoli as well as spices to give it a bit of zing. Half a 90 sec bread thing to soak up the bits.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Jaffa Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner: Chinese style pork with leafy salad and two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.