What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My 'cold' is lingering on - I'm not quite so sure it's a cold any more but I can't think what else it might be because it has all the symptoms of a heavy cold but has lasted a week now.

I like my scrambled eggs soft and made with butter and cream. I really don't like them overcooked. In all the time I've known him I've never seen Mr C eat scrambled eggs until a couple of weeks ago when he chose them at Toby Carvery from the breakfast buffet - very dried out, overcooked and hard but, apparently this is how he likes them.....

Today.....

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

Lunch: 10 cal jelly, maybe two - very soothing for my sore throat

Dinner: deconstructed scotch eggs and salad with mayo - any strawberries that are ripe

Drink: black decaff coffee and still spring water

Viv19

Wow - beautiful pictures! I'm completely surprised that blueberries grow like that (a thick carpet of them) and especially that they grow so well in Sweden. I've tried lots of different ways of growing them without much success.

There are so many in all the forests, in Finland too (where they lived for a couple of years before.). They sell funny sort of scoop things that you run through the bush and it scrapes the berries off, even cute ones for children to pick their berries. At the same time as the blueberries you can find early chanterelles (OH’s favourite occupation- picking them and especially eating them.) Then come the lingonberries. Fabulous bounty of the forests.
Her pony thinks he’s a dog - he’s very people orientated.
I was thinking of buying some blueberry bushes. I thought of having them in pots, I eat so many. Perhaps newer strains might be easier to grow.

Reactions: maglil55

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, the little red round radish (although I'm planning on getting the harlequin ones in Morrisons if they get them in again). They were as I said surprisingly good. Almost potato like. What was odd was they dont taste like radish when roasted.
It was a scary price for drinks. I'd had enough wine so I just drank water but Hubby kept asking if I wanted a drink - got fed up saying no. I noticed very few people were buying drink. It's really silly. Lower their prices a bit and people would buy. As it was very little was spent. It wasn't even the craft brands - plain old Smirnoff and Hennessy.
Radishes work surprisingly well as a potato replacement in a Spanish omelette, just slice up the radishes very thinly and follow normal rules for Spanish omelette, lots of olive oil finely sliced onions cooked very slowly etc.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just put radishes on my food list. Am a big fan of any omelette.
I'm going in search of the harlequin radish later this week (not that they taste any different - just prettier). My mind is also asking "will roasted and cooled radish make an acceptable substitute in 'potato' salad?" With egg, spring onion etc.
I feel all sorts of radish recipes coming on.
Made me think of when a much younger Hubby worked in Germany before we were married. One of his workmates had a bad habit of drinking his wages and leaving very little for everything else. One week he left so little he bought a little tub of honey and a kilo of radish. He also had collected beermats from wherever he drank. His food for the next few days was beermats and honey with a side of radish!

Reactions: Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going in search of the harlequin radish later this week (not that they taste any different - just prettier). My mind is also asking "will roasted and cooled radish make an acceptable substitute in 'potato' salad?" With egg, spring onion etc.
I feel all sorts of radish recipes coming on.
Made me think of when a much younger Hubby worked in Germany before we were married. One of his workmates had a bad habit of drinking his wages and leaving very little for everything else. One week he left so little he bought a little tub of honey and a kilo of radish. He also had collected beermats from wherever he drank. His food for the next few days was beermats and honey with a side of radish!

Roasted then cooled radishes - well you can certainly roast them and only 3.4%carbs.

This may work nicely when cooked and cooled: https://www.gnom-gnom.com/keto-roasted-radishes-potatoes/
Mayo instead of parmesan - or both?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hello all, how I have missed being here! Thanks to all who reached out to me Mom was taking all my energy, and I was eating too much to get public with. But I'm on vacation for a few days and can come play.
@maglil55 the flavor of roasted radish salad tastes better than potato salad in my mind. Go for it!
Have to start fresh here with eating habits.
Bfast NE1 1/2 avocado w/ yellow(ick) mustard, double dippin' dunnies, DWS&C in a lovely old café au lait bowl with roosters and flowers from, as painted on the bottom, Perusia, Italy; 2 (or more, I've been bad) 90% choc squares
Lunch is fully intended to be liquid, but I will have to fight the hm guacamole on cheese slices. How can you say no to your dil's mom's excellent guac, I ask you!?
Supper nobody knows. I've never vacationed with DS in-laws before. Hopefully seafood.
Lovely lovely weather here on Cape Cod. I just missed seeing @Goonergal near my hometown, waaahhhh. Lots and lots of walking, more sun on arms and legs than I've had in years, osprey hunting over the water, all very very well with the world.
782 posts behind. Yikes!
IMG_8859.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, how I have missed being here! Thanks to all who reached out to me Mom was taking all my energy, and I was eating too much to get public with. But I'm on vacation for a few days and can come play.
@maglil55 the flavor of roasted radish salad tastes better than potato salad in my mind. Go for it!
Bfast NE1 1/2 avocado w/ yellow(ick) mustard, double dippin' dunnies, DWS&C in a lovely old café au lait bowl with roosters and flowers from, as painted on the bottom, Perusia, Italy; 2 (or more, I've been bad) 90% choc squares
Lunch is fully intended to be liquid, but I will have to fight the hm guacamole on cheese slices. How can you say no to your dil's mom's excellent guac, I ask you!?
Supper nobody knows. I've never vacationed with DS in-laws before. Hopefully seafood.
Lovely lovely weather here on Cape Cod. I just missed seeing @Goonergal near my hometown, waaahhhh. Lots and lots of walking, more sun on arms and legs than I've had in years, osprey hunting over the water, all very very well with the world.
782 posts behind. Yikes!
View attachment 34047
So good to see you back you’ve been missed I’m currently par boiling purple and red radishes report to follow after dinner!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
782 posts behind. Yikes!
View attachment 34047
Double winner from me. One for your return - greatly missed - and the other for the gorgeous picture, (Really not jealous of location or opportunity to have h/m guac) Glad to hear that all is very, very well with the world.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
782 posts behind. Yikes!
View attachment 34047
Good to see you around and a wonderful photo.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all had to try radishes today after all the talk of radishes. Bought Norfolk purple ones whichwhen par boiled turned the water blue! I then sliced them, tossed in olive oil and fried them - delicious especially dipped in mayo....
No breakfast - in a dash lots of stuff to do so lots of coffee and cream from flask took with me
Late lunch chicken drumstick followed by more coffee and six hotel choc 100% choc buttons
Dinner fried radishes, salad, chicken and mayo followed by three home grown strawberries lemon mousse and spoon of yoghurt and cream.
Will try frying or roasting from raw tomorrow the blue water looked a bit off putting!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch: Chicken salad - actually it was more like a quite expensive pile of lettuce with a couple of red things on and a grilled lump of chicken breast - probably only half - when the ubiquitous question, “everything OK?”, was asked, I replied, “probably the most expensive plate of lettuce on the planet”. Not pleasing, don’t expect that we will eat there again - no tip.

Dinner, at home and all ready to go; Gazan smashed avocado with sumac, a decent and generous salad with mint and parsley (and some finely sliced radish), some home made coleslaw and a bit of feta crumbled over. Chablis.
Pudding will be some thick kefir with some home made granola.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to keep things safe atm but still needto eat 3x daily. hBA1c on Wed.
Breakfast: Usual slice HiLo toast,butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: 2 slices thick Corned Beef, tablesp cheese coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and 1 tomato EVO and sprinkle Italian dried herbs. Will try and resist afters.
Interesting convo re roasted radishes, and roasted beetroot. Suppose you can roast anything though saw on another thread celeriac doesn't roast well. Still it makes a great mash IMO

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to keep things safe atm but still needto eat 3x daily. hBA1c on Wed.
Breakfast: Usual slice HiLo toast,butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: 2 slices thick Corned Beef, tablesp cheese coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and 1 tomato EVO and sprinkle Italian dried herbs. Will try and resist afters.
Interesting convo re roasted radishes, and roasted beetroot. Suppose you can roast anything though saw on another thread celeriac doesn't roast well. Still it makes a great mash IMO
I roast celeriac it works well - but it does shrink so need to keep chips chunky. Best of luck for Wednesday you’ve put the work in and hoping you get the results you’ve earnt.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening, I have been chef. I always cook when MrB plays golf (he does the rest), so often I'll try something new. Tonight it was this: https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-kerala-beef-fry/

It really was delicious, and very easy. It could also work well in the slow cooker, after the saute and browning stages.

For us, I used half the recipe, and with our hearty appetites, there was enough left over for another generous meal for one, or it'd stuff two peppers.

I've done several myheartbeets recipes and they've all been very tasty.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD/ONE today. Made so much easier by waking at 8.00 not 4.00 and having crown fitted at dentist. Ate a short while ago. Egg mayo (h/m and laid), avocado, mackerel in EVO and blue cheese. Will have Fage 0% and 10 cal jelly - yes Gwyneth my own goop. Lots of tea and a W.....se latte when I realised I was likely to only eat once. Walked back two "campaign promises" today. Bought some steak which looked edible and was reduced - so need to eat red meat and booked a holiday for November. Holiday is to a hotel in Cyprus we know and like, flights are club class, hotel included on return and cost less than we payed 2 years ago. Average day. Update - strawberries and clotted cream not jelly and yog but I may eat that later.
ETA: @PenguinMum best wishes for Wednesday but you will be fine.

Last edited: