What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was left-over bacon in a sandwich. Em was here to get ready for school but she didn't want to eat as much bacon as I had cooked for her. That wasn't the breakfast I had intended but needs must.

2nd meal will be a sausage and veg casserole.

FBG was 7.0 but has risen so far to 10.9. Took a full dose of insulin before eating so we'll see how we go today.

stevermac1966

Into my last two weeks of my initial twelve week TDR program with Oviva, so the day started with the chocolate milk shake, and since it was cold again this morning turned it into a hot chocolate shake.

Looking forward (not) to the disgusting tasting veg soup and chicken soup for lunch and dinner. The only way to consume these awful products is to overload on chilli flakes and paprika when mixing them up.

At least i get to have a decent tasting shake to finish the day with, probably Banana today

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing today :( I really need to see a Dr

Edit: obviously no bolus doses today either because I've eaten nothing. BSL has hovered around 4.5-5.0. Lots of water. I don't have a sick plan yet

Edit 2: My diabetes educator is going to be impressed (?? lol) becuse my libre graph is completely flat haha

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: shelley262 and Annb

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is a hungry day. Do any of you get days like that? Am annoyed with the stomach as I had to start eating at midday, where normally I can wait until quite a bit later. But I can't do "hungry". I did enough of that in the calorie-control days.

So far I have eaten: 1 small Greek yoghurt, 1 small piece of cheese, 1 decent-sized avocado, and some lumpy soup made with bone broth, peppers, leftover salad leaves, beansprouts, spring onions, 1 level tablespoon of lardons, courgette, leek, olive oil, tomato juice from last night's Mediterranean Thingy, various herbs and spices. That has quelled the beast for a bit, and I hope it lasts until dinner, which will be roast chicken with broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. And a glass of red wine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is a hungry day. Do any of you get days like that?
Definitely and it’s a good idea to listen to your body and feed it. I tend to find the hungry days are more frequent/intense when I’ve let the nutrition density of my food drop. A nice fatty shoulder of lamb usually sorts it out.

I’ve got the opposite issue at the moment - taking meds which make me feel a bit nauseous so I’ve been eating a bit less.

Today’s food was a small glass of milk early on to accompany anti-biotics, followed by a delicious lunch with @DJC3 - I introduced her to the Keto Street pizza joint in London. It’s in an outdoor food court so we wrapped up warm and braved the cold! Pizzas so filling that we weren’t even tempted to go inside Hotel Chocolat when we walked past. Doubt I’ll be needing anything else.

Pepperoni pizza (9g carb/54g protein) for me and I bought a cheesy garlic flatbread to put in the fridge at home.

257601B9-DD65-4134-BA44-123200A18770.jpeg

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
Definitely and it’s a good idea to listen to your body and feed it. I tend to find the hungry days are more frequent/intense when I’ve let the nutrition density of my food drop. A nice fatty shoulder of lamb usually sorts it out.

I’ve got the opposite issue at the moment - taking meds which make me feel a bit nauseous so I’ve been eating a bit less.

Today’s food was a small glass of milk early on to accompany anti-biotics, followed by a delicious lunch with @DJC3 - I introduced her to the Keto Street pizza joint in London. It’s in an outdoor food court so we wrapped up warm and braved the cold! Pizzas so filling that we weren’t even tempted to go inside Hotel Chocolat when we walked past. Doubt I’ll be needing anything else.

Pepperoni pizza (9g carb/54g protein) for me and I bought a cheesy garlic flatbread to put in the fridge at home.

View attachment 58942
That looks amazing!!! I am in London next week so will definitely try and find that Pizza place! Gosh i could kill for a pizza!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks amazing!!! I am in London next week so will definitely try and find that Pizza place! Gosh i could kill for a pizza!
It’s in Camden near the tube station - upstairs at the Buck Street market. Also very close to the Regent’s Canal for a post-meal stroll. https://ketostreet.london/

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
So... I have been down with a truly horrible bug the last week or so, not flu, not covid, but a bronchial thing which responded to antibiotics... slowly! Anyway, eating was up and down, but i stayed Low Carb..ish! BG stayed well withn in my normal limits though.
Today, I skipped breakfast and lunch, and dinner was pork goulash with cauliflower mash and cabbage. I also managed to make a weird hybrid sort of chocolate mousse with monk sugar and 85% chocolate, eggs and cream. Garnished with a few blueberries and raspberries. Delicious, but the texture was a bit strange. :happy:

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
It’s in Camden near the tube station - upstairs at the Buck Street market. Also very close to the Regent’s Canal for a post-meal stroll. https://ketostreet.london/
Your crackers and now Pizza!! You are the light at the end of my tunnel!:happy: Thank you again!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
unless you meant ‘you’re crackers’ :hilarious:
Of course you are, or we wouldn't have gotten along so well!

Bought all ingredients for my grandmother's 'Transsylvanian sauerkraut' (no idea exactly how Transsylvanian it is but I love the dish) except the meat because I knew I had some in my freezer still, bought when it was on offer.

Except it wasn't there.

So now what?
I do have lots of different foods in my kitchen so making a meal out of it shouldn't be a problem really, but I have no idea what to eat. And besides, what I really want is that pizza in @Goonergal 's picture.
Not too much time left to decide, I'm starting to get hungry, but motivation is low because whatever it turns out to be, it won't be pizza.

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Your crackers and now Pizza!! You are the light at the end of my tunnel!:happy: Thank you again!!
Absolutely you take credit for the crackers because you sent me the recipe, or it might have been a link.... But before you i was crackerless! :happy:

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee until 1ish when had a spoon of kimchi and sauerkraut while cooking a couple of fried eggs in butter -served them on one slice of LC toast. Followed by a few frozen berries mixed into a few spoons of kefir and yoghurt - it makes a lovely quick soft frozen dessert.
3ish LC cookie
5ish slow cooked hunters chicken with some sprouts then a warmed LC chocolate brownie.
@Outlier yup it's odd but some days I'm definitely hungrier than others - sometimes it's feeling the cold eg I went out this morning for a hike fasted and found it harder than usual today as I was so cold.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bag of salted almonds and a gallon of black coffee for breakfast then a brisk walk up to Camden to meet @Goonergal for lunch at Keto Street pizza place. I am eternally indebted! It was so good to do something as normal as meeting for a chat and a meal without the palaver of discussing menu swaps and asking about ingredients. No photo as Goonergal has already posted. It was SO good. @Stephen Bond you really must try this place if you’re in London.
High protein lunch meant I wasn’t hungry for dinner but Paul was, so decided I’d just have a starter to keep him company. Charcuterie platter at our hotel. It turned out to be a sharing platter so quite a lot of meat plus a glass of red. I somehow managed it!
I bought some keto donuts at Keto Street. One cinnamon (1g carb) and one choc&pistachio (2g carbs) they might be breakfast.
IMG_1674591458.889627.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a very small chunk of cheese
Dance class 1
Early lunch: last nights leftover stuffed peppers (stuffing was day before leftover veg and leftover smoked mackerel with extra cheese)
Dance class 2
D: sausages cooked in a sauce made from leftover veg and leftover beef stock. A low carb microwave choc cake shared with the boys

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the look of Keto Street @Goonergal , just spoke to my daughter who lives in London with her Type 1 coeliac boyfriend. It’s about half an hour on the tube from her house so we are going to go there when I next visit!

Today’s food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Food dr bar.
Dinner: chicken supreme, Brussels and broccoli followed by SF raspberry jelly and cream.

587E5078-5E0F-4385-99D7-77C992F77295.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So now what?
I do have lots of different foods in my kitchen so making a meal out of it shouldn't be a problem really, but I have no idea what to eat. And besides, what I really want is that pizza in @Goonergal 's picture.
Not too much time left to decide, I'm starting to get hungry, but motivation is low because whatever it turns out to be, it won't be pizza.
Or why wouldn't it?

I've just invented the celeriac pizza!

Doesn't taste like real pizza of course, but a fat head pizza doesn't either.
And it did hit the pizza spot!
I spotted a nice round celeriac in the kitchen while trying to decide on what to eat. Pizza's are round as well, basically they're just vessels for tomato sauce, cheese and various toppings, so why not?

I parboiled thin slices of celeriac for a minute or two, winged a tomato puree based tomato sauce (added water, salt, fresh garlic and dried thyme because I couldn't find the oregano, plus a little Branston pickles for sweetness) and added cheese, sucuk and onion.
Yes, the cheese looks ridiculously orange but that's because the only cheese I had that would melt well was a pepper cheese, my other current cheeses are all of the very hard and very mature variety.

Had it on @Goonergal 's pretty fishes plate of course (I've waited for that plate for three years, thanks to covid), she was the one who planted the pizza craving today so it's only fitting to use her plate. :happy:

1674595942589.png

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had rather a lot of the sausage and veg stew. It tasted great and I had a second helping so I was pretty full. I'd defrosted a pot of raspberry cream that I'd frozen a few days ago and had no room for it but I did finish it after a while.

BG was a bit high until about mid day but then came down to within range. Towards 6 pm Libre beeped and told me I was at 3.9 (which is about 4.1 on the finger prick test) but it came back up to 5.0 by 6.30. That's when I had my 2nd meal.

Not too bad a day really. Em will be here early tomorrow again so she'll have breakfast - this time I'll cook less bacon so won't need to use left-overs.