What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast kefir then bacon, egg and mushrooms
While out a LC hm lemon bun I took with me
Dinner hm chicken curry with LC roti and a gin with soda water followed by my last piece of hm LC lemon cheesecake from freezer.
@RosemaryJackson sorry to hear your eye condition is playing up again hope it settles again soon.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening @DJC3

A biotech company has flooded the UK market with 'tenderstem' which is a trademarked name for Chinese kale crossed with heaven knows what broccoli selection; a commercial secret. True to form, the owner patented the hybrid.

As a result, supermarkets no longer stock early sprouting broccoli, a far superior vegetable, IMO. You can still find proper sprouting broccoli at farmers' markets or grow your own of course.

Calabrese or heading broccoli is what greengrocers call 'broccoli' and that's a nutritious vegetable too, but it doesn't quite match the delicate flavour and texture of sprouting broccoli, IMO.

Thank you. I’d no idea it was a patented trade name. In fact I’d no idea it was possible to patent a vegetable. I love early and purple sprouting broccoli but you’re right, they are hard to find outside a market. I do sometimes buy the tenderstem, and like it, but it’s not worth the extra money. More often I buy the traditional calabrese because I enjoy the stalk roasted/airfried as well as the florets.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend @MommaE . Unexpected deaths are always so hard to come to terms with.
@RosemaryJackson I hope you’ll start to feel better soon.
@jpscloud I love the sound of your harissa pork mince. Do you have a recipe or was it just a ‘bung it in and hope for the best’ dish?
Today I almost managed Omad but at my art group this aft I succumbed to some dark (85%) chocolate that the group leader had bought along for our tea break.
Dinner was a mixed grill. The local farm who delivered today, threw in free of charge, some of their new sausages for me to try; no fillers, just seasoning ( garlic&herb) they were delicious. Also a pork steak and a couple of rashers of streaky bacon. Mushrooms and onions and 1/2 avocado. Couple of glasses of wine.
IMG_1710616261.305207.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: avocado with prawns Marie Rose sauce and coleslaw.

2024-03-16 19.04.34.jpeg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend @MommaE . Unexpected deaths are always so hard to come to terms with.
@RosemaryJackson I hope you’ll start to feel better soon.
@jpscloud I love the sound of your harissa pork mince. Do you have a recipe or was it just a ‘bung it in and hope for the best’ dish?
Today I almost managed Omad but at my art group this aft I succumbed to some dark (85%) chocolate that the group leader had bought along for our tea break.
Dinner was a mixed grill. The local farm who delivered today, threw in free of charge, some of their new sausages for me to try; no fillers, just seasoning ( garlic&herb) they were delicious. Also a pork steak and a couple of rashers of streaky bacon. Mushrooms and onions and 1/2 avocado. Couple of glasses of wine. View attachment 66769
That looks gorgeous! The harissa pork mince is just pork mince, fried with onion in coconut oil and seasoned with harissa - I added a red pepper today and it was really lovely. The cream cheese was because my hand slipped with the harissa and it was a bit spicy but sour cream would work too! I do love pork and chicken fried in coconut oil.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 5.2 and had a glass of kefir to see what would happen.
It raised me to 8.0, so kefir definitely needs insulin, or at least it does if I drink it in the morning.
Instead of waiting for hours for the correction dose of insulin to kick in, I managed to convince myself to go for a quick cold swim to kickstart the insulin action. And I even convinced myself to take neighbour's fatbike to my swimming spot instead of the car, so I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself today. :happy:
Granted, it's not like you need to do much to ride such a bike (as long as you keep turning the pedals slowly it will bring you anywhere at 25 km/h), but it's still very different from just jumping in the car.
Worked a charm too, back in the low 4's right after swimming.

Evening meal was the same as yesterday, zuurkoolstamppot with smoked sausage, 'zuurkoolspek', and the gravy from the slow cooked meat.

1710619134001.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very sad day. We unexpectedly lost a dear friend. I hope he’s enjoying an endless selection of movies and games nights with a glass or three of a good single malt.
Breakfast scrambled egg and sausage on a lc wrap
Lunch planned over enchilada with cauliflower taco “ meat” arugula and pico de gallo
Dinner will be tacos with more of the cauliflower “ meat” because I don’t feel like cooking anything new, avocado and fire roasted tomato salsa. And a raised glass of single malt.
So sorry for your loss @MommaE. A swift exit may be best for your friend, but it's a dreadful shock for those left behind.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of foodie bits I've been forgetting to mention

At local farm shop
Proper purple broccoli was spotted, but before the discussion on here so didn't note the price
Did purchase some very local cheese, very tasty but at £45 a kilo a very rare treat.
And kimchi which a friend recommended. Yet to try it.

In supermarket
Did find a kefir yoghurt, no nasties, a bit sourer than normal which I liked.
Bumped into a friend trying to eat low carb and very confused.
Helped a lady read ice cream labels, she's 88 and t2 and afraid of complications ... can we ever stop worrying?

Did freezer audit today
Found some of the caulifower hummus. It defrosted well but was very strong. I loved it, hubby not so much. More for me then :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early yoga
L: cauliflower hummus @DJC3 with 1 slice liv life toasted. 4 chipolatas. Kefir yoghurt with one slice apple

Then I went downhill. A visitor popped in so I offered cake, shop bought, Xmas left over. I don't usually like such but this hit all the wrong buttons and I ate loads..

Then later, prepping for carb eating visitors tomorrow and trying to use up various items from a freezer and cupboard audit, scoffed loads of marzipan!!! Haven't tested, too ashamed.

Feeling bloated and full of wind, serves me right.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did have a 2nd meal today. The all veg bigos was not as tasty as the meat version but still very pleasant. There's loads left in the pot - even with me reducing the recipe by 2/3 so I guess that will be tomorrow's breakfast and maybe another tomorrow. Probably shan't feel like having it again after that so the remains will go in the freezer. Might add a few peas to it, or beans, just to get the protein level up a bit.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Early yoga
L: cauliflower hummus @DJC3 with 1 slice liv life toasted. 4 chipolatas. Kefir yoghurt with one slice apple

Then I went downhill. A visitor popped in so I offered cake, shop bought, Xmas left over. I don't usually like such but this hit all the wrong buttons and I ate loads..

Then later, prepping for carb eating visitors tomorrow and trying to use up various items from a freezer and cupboard audit, scoffed loads of marzipan!!! Haven't tested, too ashamed.

Feeling bloated and full of wind, serves me right.
Please don't beat yourself up or be ashamed.
Somtimes things happen, it's just a blip, back on the wagon tomorrow!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Not such a good morning for me. Fbg up and eyes very swollen and sore this morning. I don't feel like eating so it will be something simple today like scrambled eggs with ham. Have a nice day all.
Evening @RosemaryJackson

It sounds as though your skin condition has flared up again. Why do ailments invariably get worse at weekends? A trip to your GP may be advisable. There are other treatments s/he could prescribe alongside the corticosteroid cream that you're using..

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with sweet red peppers and aubergines, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter and toasted pistachios.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and halkidiki olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon everyone!

11 am Kefir, bacon, eggs and mushrooms
pork puffs with cream cheese

More pork puffs (new variety arrived, had to try them!!)

4pm harissa pork mince fried in coconut oil, with red bell pepper and cream cheese on crushed cauliflower.

Later will have coffee, montezuma 100% and some creamed coconut.

@MommaE, my heartfelt condolences. So sad to lose friends but I like so much that you are thinking of him having the greatest time!

@RosemaryJackson congrats on the fast!
Thank you @jpscloud