What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, early start today, off to Belgium for a short break.
Enjoy!
@Antje77 that is a very good mug with me and my brood on. Btw my favourite word atm is zuurkoolstamppot which seems to me like a mix of all our favourite things.
I was thinking of you when I chose the mug for my kefir!

I now have a mental image of you doing your chores while softly humming the word zuurkoolstamppot, it's what I do with favourite words and words that sometimes ramdomly stick to my brain. :joyful:
And zuurkoolstamppot is very easy to make, just give it a try. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
5.9 just before midnight last night when I went to bed. 5.4 when I got up again at 03:30. Very odd.

I felt as though I was having a hypo - hot, shaky, heart pounding, breathless, etc, but when I checked BG was 5.4 so it wasn't a hypo. Same thing happened a few days ago. Checked my oximeter and it gave me a reading of 82% which explains the breathlessness (also happened a few days ago but not quite so low) and pulse of 152 bpm! Not surprising then that I felt odd. Took painkillers and sat in the chair to wait until it all calmed down, which it did. Oxygen back to the normal (for me) 95% and pulse hovering around 80 bpm.
I forgot to take my tablets yesterday - that might have let my BP go up. Not sure if that's what I did last time it happened. Not pleasant so I must remember to take my pills and hope that makes a difference.

Breakfast: BG still pretty low, so didn't take bolus insulin. One chicken thigh and a couple of big spoonsful of bigos. I did take all of my pills afterwards.

2nd meal: Finish the bigos but add some peas to it - I intended to do that before this, but forgot but I will add them today.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 15 March bed 6.8 FBG 7.3. I have to admit @RosemaryJackson, I did wonder about allergies when you described the latest flare-up. There are times I look as if I've gone more than a few rounds with a heavyweight boxer! Watch out for external irritants, too. I have two odd ones, dust and smoke. We discovered this the first time we moved house. Getting into nooks and crannies to clean and burning rubbish (in the days you could). Cleaning now, I have to wear gloves.

B. Just TAG

L. Nothing. We were all heading to the dentist for a check up.

D. A couple of salmon fillets glazed with SRSLY sweet chilli sauce. Remains of the buratta, egg mayo, veggie salad, and 2 M&S wheaten crackers.
20240315_191508.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Friday 15 March bed 6.8 FBG 7.3. I have to admit @RosemaryJackson, I did wonder about allergies when you described the latest flare-up. There are times I look as if I've gone more than a few rounds with a heavyweight boxer! Watch out for external irritants, too. I have two odd ones, dust and smoke. We discovered this the first time we moved house. Getting into nooks and crannies to clean and burning rubbish (in the days you could). Cleaning now, I have to wear gloves.

B. Just TAG

L. Nothing. We were all heading to the dentist for a check up.

D. A couple of salmon fillets glazed with SRSLY sweet chilli sauce. Remains of the buratta, egg mayo, veggie salad, and 2 M&S wheaten crackers. View attachment 66791
Neil has allergies to dust and smoke as well. Odd one is peat dust which blows around quite a lot when drying the cut peats, so he has never been able to go with us to bring the peats home although he can go to do the cutting. We don't do it any more though, which is a relief to him.

We are starting to think that Em might be reacting to the laundry powder that her mum uses - she pretty well always sneezes a lot and last week she had that rash and felt quite ill. It doesn't seem to be related to food in her case.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hungry but busy day- took advantage of sun being out and did some fence painting there's a lot to do so need to start getting on with it when weather permits it but despite another dry forecast tomorrow we are booked for some caring stuff so will definitely be a stop start job!
Breakfast small kefir then one slice of bacon and one fried egg
Lunch a few bits of cheese with LC seeded crackers and kimchi then a few berries and yoghurt
Dinner two sausages, onions, mushrooms and reheated leftover Swede mash
IMG_20240318_163206.jpg

Just had hm LC lemon bun with decaffeinated coffee.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2nd meal: Finish the bigos but add some peas to it - I intended to do that before this, but forgot but I will add them today.
Well, I didn't do anything about the bigos. My new leg pain kicked in and I couldn't stand up, so spent the rest of the day in the big chair. BG dropped again and I had some coconut biscuits to stop the drop. Libre sounded the High glucose alarm at 10.7! So insulin and cold chicken was the next step. The chicken was sitting in the fridge so was easy to grab but the bigos needed heating - too much for my legs to take so l went without.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: tuna melts and a side salad.

2024-03-18 19.28.13.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing (except mint tea) until 1pm
L: 4 chipolatas cold and hm lc broccoli soup. 2 mouthfuls very rich proper chocolate cake. Then a bigger portion of hm lc cheesecake. Much preferred the latter
5ish 3 cold chipolatas and some lc jelly

8pm, pub chicken and bacon salad, 1 white wine, mint tea

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stubborn BG that didn't want to drop below 7.5 for hours, despite multiple doses of insulin.
Which made me grumpy and not wanting to eat. (Which is ridiculous because my zuurkoolstamppot doesn't really raise me, but hey, that's grumpiness. And the fact that it was day 4 of the same meal, which isn't very appealing on the best of days.)

In the end, I heated the last piece of smoked sausage and pork belly with just a little of the sauerkraut mash, dogs were happy to eat the rest. :)
Not a full meal, but tasty, and I'll have some chicory with hummus and pork scratchings with aioli before bed to make up for only having half a meal.

5.4 now, maybe I should have eaten earlier! :hilarious:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did well for most of the day, then had a blip. Won't detail that but annoyed with myself because it was truly disappointing and not worth it at all. Tomorrow is another day!
I've had a few of those. I'm sure most of us have. Just get back on that horse.
Sound advice @IanBish. When I first set out on my LCHF journey, I often coped well most of the day only to suffer a 'blip' during the evening. In particular, going out to dinner was a challenge, especially the pud.

I thought my tastes might change, but I was unprepared for just how quickly that happened. Hang in there and, as time goes by, low carbing gets easier. We're all different, but the cardinal rule for me was to have a good, square evening meal. I soon found myself skipping the pud altogether!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and crevettes, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Clams and tiger prawns in white wine sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, garlic, leeks, double cream, rosemary, butter and parmesan.
Steamed mangetout and samphire smothered with butter.
Garlic chestnut mushrooms.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery and baby plum tomatoes with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with toasted pistachios.
Water to wash down tablets.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sound advice @IanBish. When I first set out on my LCHF journey, I often coped well most of the day only to suffer a 'blip' during the evening. In particular, going out to dinner was a challenge, especially the pud.

I thought my tastes might change, but I was unprepared for just how quickly that happened. Hang in there and, as time goes by, low carbing gets easier. We're all different, but the cardinal rule for me was to have a good, square evening meal. I soon found myself skipping the pud altogether!
I had a blip last week. I passed the local chip shop, and decided to try my old favourite of chicken curry & chips. I only had a medium, rather than a large one. It wasn't too bad, glucose-wise: I went from 4.5 to 6.3 after two hours (thanks to the memory on my Gluco Navii). But I just couldn't believe how much the price had gone up, nor how different it tasted (not nearly as good).

It can be difficult navigating the supermarkets. It's almost impossible to avoid ultra processed foods, which I don't have any more. I really must get more creative.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil has allergies to dust and smoke as well. Odd one is peat dust which blows around quite a lot when drying the cut peats, so he has never been able to go with us to bring the peats home although he can go to do the cutting. We don't do it any more though, which is a relief to him.

We are starting to think that Em might be reacting to the laundry powder that her mum uses - she pretty well always sneezes a lot and last week she had that rash and felt quite ill. It doesn't seem to be related to food in her case.
For my husband we have to do the extra rinse cycle to avoid him reacting to laundry soap.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a rather large blip, what is yesterday now. After spending over 3hrs at the eye unit having rather too many tests & scans, finally getting home & having had nothing to eat since last night, fbg was 8.2. A family birthday celebration was booked at a Chinese restaurant, I had planned on being good (even though my absolute favourite is Chinese), but, I gave in & decided *** it after the morning I'd had & my number being high. It was thoroughly enjoyable & I do not feel guilty...okay, I'm forcing myself to not feel guilty. :bag: Cold beef salad for the next coupla days. Then I'm back at the eye unit on Friday. :rolleyes:

@sueh21, I hope you have a fab time in Belgium.

@RosemaryJackson, I'm sorry that your eyes have flared again, hope lotions & potions help ease it & that you nail the cause sooner rather than later.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For my husband we have to do the extra rinse cycle to avoid him reacting to laundry soap.
We use an environmental friendly washing liquid but even so, for anything that Neil is going to use, we have to give it an extra rinse. When he goes away, he always takes extra towels to cover pillows, etc to prevent sleeping on sheets and pillows that would cause problems for him.

Breakfast was the last of my bigos with an egg poached in the middle of it. (BG dropped to 3.9 afterwards).

2nd meal will be either salmon or haddock - depends on what Neil can get in the shops today - with leeks. That's assuming that I can stand up long enough to cook it after what might be a heavy day for me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
family birthday celebration was booked at a Chinese restaurant, I had planned on being good (even though my absolute favourite is Chinese), but, I gave in & decided *** it after the morning I'd had & my number being high. It was thoroughly enjoyable & I do not feel guilty...okay, I'm forcing myself to not
I can have Stir fried King Prawn with ginger & spring onion with a side of Pak choi without much damage …….just a thought…but then I get envious of Mr P’s Singapore Fried rice, sigh!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We use an environmental friendly washing liquid but even so, for anything that Neil is going to use, we have to give it an extra rinse. When he goes away, he always takes extra towels to cover pillows, etc to prevent sleeping on sheets and pillows that would cause problems for him.

Breakfast was the last of my bigos with an egg poached in the middle of it. (BG dropped to 3.9 afterwards).

2nd meal will be either salmon or haddock - depends on what Neil can get in the shops today - with leeks. That's assuming that I can stand up long enough to cook it after what might be a heavy day for me.
That reminded me of a budget hotel at Luton airport during heavy snow where the bedding stunk of rancid chip fat, as did the towels and the entire room so I slept on top of the bed with my coat and hood done up!

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can have Stir fried King Prawn with ginger & spring onion with a side of Pak choi without much damage …….just a thought…but then I get envious of Mr P’s Singapore Fried rice, sigh!
I usually stay with the 'safer' options & my main was duck with stir fried veg, but...the starters are pick one or two (s&p ribs & squid), that was all 12 of us & they come on large sharing platters, well.....my good intentions went very awry & it was a *** it moment.

Although I love noodles & egg fried rice, I didn't have any, it was just those dang starters.