What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
A tedious day of domestic drugery here - why is it that it never seems to end once youve started
Breakfast - hebba pap porridge with a splash of soya cream
Lunch - mushroom & thyme soup with added shiritaki noodles and ham
Mid afternoon - Adonis low carb blondie and 4 of these https://www.ocado.com/webs-hop/product/Willies-Cacao-Venezuelan-Dark-Chocolate-Drops-72/94604011?from=shop
Dinner - 1 slice carbzone bread with tahini, rocket & cucumber. Followed by 100g of my new find https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Pudology-Dairy-Free-Natural-Coconut-Yogurt/293472011?from=search&param=pudology coconutwith stewed blackberries & toasted almonds its definately a keeper

1320 cals, 27g carbs, 43g fibre

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

Great food today :D

Antipasta platter of 2 cheeses and 3 cold meats with some tiny, tiny green onions in brine.
Also a hot choc. V weak :( I am used to homemade low carb ones that actually pack a punch, without sweetness.

Then dinner has been 2 succulent lamb burgers on a bed of oomi noodles with cheese and cream.
Hugely rich and satisfying.
I need to make industrial amounts of these burgers for the freezer. Lamb has always been a fave, and in this format, reasonably priced, convenient and delicious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, blimey there has been a lot of activity here since I last popped in yesterday - so much news.

@shelley262 may I add my hugs and good wishes for you and your mum. I’m glad she’s settled in with you for Christmas and can understand her relief at not having to go through the op.
@ziggy_w well done on the abstinance. Is this in preparation for a Christmas blow out?
@maglil55 I didn’t know about your accident either - how incredibly scary, not sure I’d ever get in a car again. Your positive attitude is a real tonic though. Oh and I loved your grandson saying he loves you even though you’re not pink!
@Emma_369 good luck with your blood test results - at least you can relax a bit over Christmas now.
@ianpspurs the Dr Almond black bread mix arrived - that’s on my to do list for tomorrow now.
@Tori71 hope you get a better night’s sleep tonight. I sleep so much better now I’ve retired but remember that horrible ‘day after feeling’ - always made me crave carby food.
@Goonergal enjoy all your Christmas parties. I didn’t get the cake tin today, hopefully tomorrow so I can get cracking with those brownies.

Today I had-
B: 1 scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado and 50g smoked salmon. Tea with almond milk.

Mid morning tea with skimmed milk after the old biddies keep fit class in the village hall

L: tin of mackerel in olive oil and salad of avocado, lettuce, olives, and feta. Handful of Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons with coffee and cream afterwards.

D: pork stroganoff with roast sprouts and sauteed courgettes. 2 glasses red.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Welcome to our world, won't you come on in. Good sounding menu and good to see you here. Look forward to learning more about your food choices.
Edit: I looked up the La Tortilla Factory info and may try in the off season - although Lo dough is still painfully etched in my memory - long story a few members here may share the pain
Thank you! The La Tortilla rounds are low GI, and I found them on a site called DiaTribe, at which a T1D of 22 tender years (total) blogs about what works for him. He uses these. But now that I have the flax bread recipes from here, and the flax meal and almond flour, I'm going to branch out a little-- would LOVE to stop spending quite so much on those things although they are tremendously convenient to pack and eat.
What's "Lo dough", please? Thanks!

Reactions: Lainlainylain

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Taking it a bit easy today as no sleep at all last night. Decided to trial some more Christmas chocolates. Melted 75g of Aldi 85% chocolate with a teaspoon of erythritol (to sweeten for the carbivores, am going to patent this term @Goonergal ). This is optional, I like bitter chocolate but I know it's too much for others. Added a good teaspoon of orange essence and poured into moulds. Set in fridge, then got all artistic and dipped the top in more essence and rolled in the chocolate granola. By my calculations each chocolate is 1.38g of carbs.
Not sure if this is psychological but having one of the chocolates seemed more satisfying that eating some from the bar???!!!
Tori, I liiiike that recipe! (except I don't actually like chocolate+oranges...) I am going to lean about so many food things here I'm over the moon already! I am a "darker is better" chocolate person, also, "don't mess with chocolate unless you're going to add some more chocolate" devotee. Why spoil a good piece of chocolate by adding another food that was perfectly fine already? LOLOLOL! These little smileys are SO small, I want the :lol: one and can't find it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening all. No exciting food to report :
Breakfast : none as was fasting for bloods

Lunch : there’s a chip shop next door to my doctors and I thought go on, treat yourself, that’s 3 months LC done, bloods taken, today won’t hurt. So I had a small kebab meat in a tray with salad and mayo (no pitta and no chips) even my idea of treating myself has changed :angelic:
However the 2 mugs of tea I had when I returned to work were the best treat. Can’t believe how reliant I am on my morning cuppa.

Dinner : nothing - still insanely full from that small kebab meat which I didn’t even finish. Seems shrinking waistline definitely equals shrinking stomach capacity as I’d have demolished a large kebab in a pitta with chips only a few months ago!
That brought a smile to my face as today I really wanted a chip shop fish in batter. It's insanely weird as I don't like chip shop fish in batter and have never liked it. So I have absolutely no idea why I could almost taste it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
A tedious day of domestic drugery here - why is it that it never seems to end once youve started
Breakfast - hebba pap porridge with a splash of soya cream
Lunch - mushroom & thyme soup with added shiritaki noodles and ham
Mid afternoon - Adonis low carb blondie and 4 of these https://www.ocado.com/webs-hop/product/Willies-Cacao-Venezuelan-Dark-Chocolate-Drops-72/94604011?from=shop
Dinner - 1 slice carbzone bread with tahini, rocket & cucumber. Followed by 100g of my new find https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Pudology-Dairy-Free-Natural-Coconut-Yogurt/293472011?from=search&param=pudology coconutwith stewed blackberries & toasted almonds its definately a keeper

1320 cals, 27g carbs, 43g fibre
I have to ask - what is hebba pap porridge?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting tonight. Spent the evening in the bathtub reading a book and drinking wine (so far for the abstinence, @DJC3 -- I guess two days are better than nothing).

@Emma_369 -- When will you get your results?
@Tori71 -- Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.
@maglil55 -- What a horror this accident was. I admire your positivity, courage and dedication. Not sure many people would have dealt with this as you did.
@zauberflote -- Welcome to the forum. To get from mg/dl (U.S. measurement) to mmol just divide by 18. So, 111 mg/dl equals 6.2 mmol/mol.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double regular espressos (ran out of decaffeinated) with cream and erythritol. A piece of low-carb flatbread with butter.

Very late lunch: Chicken liver with a estragon-pastis-mustard cream sauce.

Dinner: Two glasses of wine while bathing and reading. Two squares of 95% chocolate.

Late-night snack: Two different types of cheeses, 4 slices of beef salami and some chicken liver pate.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That brought a smile to my face as today I really wanted a chip shop fish in batter. It's insanely weird as I don't like chip shop fish in batter and have never liked it. So I have absolutely no idea why I could almost taste it!
Cravings are very strange things! I’m sure just the brain knowing you can’t have something makes you want it whether you like it or not!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting tonight. Spent the evening in the bathtub reading a book and drinking wine (so far for the abstinence, @DJC3 -- I guess two days are better than nothing).

@Emma_369 -- When will you get your results?
I’m in with the doctor Friday at 9 for results. If my meter and mySugr app are even remotely accurate I’ll be happy - 12 weeks ago i wanted to hit pre-diabetic figures. I am hopeful of better. A little more worried about what my first ever cholesterol test will be but reading up on the differences between the different figures so I feel ready to not be pressured into anything by my doctor if they aren’t the best

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit late posting too. Bed 5.4 FBG was also 5.4. The Christmas concerts started today. No 2 got through his without causing problems and No 1 was delighted to show off his work he'd been doing in class. He was manning the German cafe they'd set up when learning about Germany. Felt I'd spent most of the day in school.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. No time for anything else
L. 2 scrambled eggs and a bit of a Mattesons sausage. Slice of the morrisons high protein bread toasted.
D. That very green soup I made. Broccoli and spinach with the chicken base. Had a very large low carb Bailey's later and 3 walnuts.
Need to push on with the wrapping tomorrow.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in with the doctor Friday at 9 for results. If my meter and mySugr app are even remotely accurate I’ll be happy - 12 weeks ago i wanted to hit pre-diabetic figures. I am hopeful of better. A little more worried about what my first ever cholesterol test will be but reading up on the differences between the different figures so I feel ready to not be pressured into anything by my doctor if they aren’t the best

Hi @Emma_369,

I am very optimistic that you'll do better than prediabetic numbers -- based on your diet and your numbers so far.

When you get your cholesterol numbers, this cholesterol calculator http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php might be helpful.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! The La Tortilla rounds are low GI, and I found them on a site called DiaTribe, at which a T1D of 22 tender years (total) blogs about what works for him. He uses these. But now that I have the flax bread recipes from here, and the flax meal and almond flour, I'm going to branch out a little-- would LOVE to stop spending quite so much on those things although they are tremendously convenient to pack and eat.
What's "Lo dough", please? Thanks!
In reverse order, this is Lo dough https://lodough.co/ so I guess in the same category as La Tortilla.
The flaxseed bread seems to have a 50% success rate as in that's about how many people have success and how many end up with amazing crusts and inedible centre versus how many end up with a usable product. Good luck.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting tonight. Spent the evening in the bathtub reading a book and drinking.

Dinner: Two glasses of wine while bathing and reading. Two squares of 95% chocolate.

Sounds like a perfect evening! Hope you were reading something for pleasure, not work related.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to ask - what is hebba pap porridge?
Hebba pap is a low carb South African product developed to replace traditional high carb African staples based around yam or grains.
It is a blend of coconut flour, psyllium, ground sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds and Xanthan gum which you can buy pre mixed or theres various “recipies” for the basic mix online. I currently have more on order from low carb shed who are knocking out 200g pkts at 1p each - sell by date of 2017 but whats to go off in the constituent elements - usually around £2.50 on Amazon if you buy in bulk) ( £4.50 if you buy a single packet
To make heba pap porridge you just add boilng water to a couple of tablespoons of the mix ( about 35g) and stir. You can also make bread, although I havnt tried that
There are various other things that can be added into the basic porridge such as cream / coconut cream/ nut butter / cinnamon / chocolate etc -for the love of Banting have several recipes online, together with recipes using heba pap for bread, in a cheesecake base, as an alternative to breadcrumbs for coating for fish, pizza, general low carb thickener etc
http://fruitfulliving.co.za/product/heba-pap/
https://ketoqueenmumof6.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/19-diy-heba-pap-premix/
https://www.lowcarbshed.co.uk/product/heba-200g-10-off-p2-65ea
http://fortheloveofbanting.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hebba pap is a low carb South African product developed to replace traditional high carb African staples based around yam or grains.
It is a blend of coconut flour, psyllium, ground sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds and Xanthan gum which you can buy pre mixed or theres various “recipies” for the basic mix online. I currently have more on order from low carb shed who are knocking out 200g pkts at 1p each - sell by date of 2017 but whats to go off in the constituent elements - usually around £2.50 on Amazon if you buy in bulk) ( £4.50 if you buy a single packet
To make heba pap porridge you just add boilng water to a couple of tablespoons of the mix ( about 35g) and stir. You can also make bread, although I havnt tried thatl
Inspired by the question re heba, I decided to try one of the recipes for bread ( the one on the first link) and added some sesame seeds as a topping for 1/2 the loaf and pumpkin seeds for the other half. Only just taken it out of the oven so still too hot to sample, but looking good despite my rubbish photo

Edited to add
Just tried a slice - the coconut flour in the heba gives a slightly sweet taste, which is great for porridge but not so great in bread. That having been said, once Id put some tahini on 1/2 the slice and almond butter on the other half to see whether they masked the sweet taste, they did. I suspect heba might be better in a savoury flavoured bready thng ( say with cheese in the mix) or plain with a strong flavoured topping , or a cakey thing ( my thought are turning to adding cocoa / peacans maybe) , rather than a plain bready thing

Further edit
Just tried some now its fully cooled and the sweet taste has receded markedly - v nice with a bit of ham on top

Attachments

• 6A2BF224-E32F-45A6-ABB0-5817299B8E25.jpeg
    6A2BF224-E32F-45A6-ABB0-5817299B8E25.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited: