What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Homemade granola and hi lo toast
Lunch: Ham, chicken, cheese stuffed peppers, cucumber . tomatoes, Strawberries, chocolate granola and cream.
Dinner: Fajitas without the wrap. Chicken, red onion, yellow and red peppers, mushrooms with grated mature cheddar and plain greek yoghurt in place of sour cream. Usually throw some mange tout in too but couldn't find any.
Snacks: Three squares of 85% Lindt.

Watched the Hotel Chocolat second episode last night, can't wait for the one in town to open!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. The day started brightly but became grey and uninspiring here so I hope it was better for you all. Menu
Breakfast: Tea - 3 pint mugs; Lunch: 2 x 1.5 pints Tea Late afternoon: 1 babybel and Cocoa: Evening meal around 18.45: Cheese and mushroom fluffy omelette with some salad and mayo; slice of Christmas Stilton about 18.00; tea
No one forced me to eat that menu and it wasn't unpleasant but not sure about cheese, cheese and cheese. Back seems to be improving which is just as well as Julie also has back problems which have not been helped by me shirking my responsibilities. Still, long way to go to June and next set of tests so plenty of time to sort things out.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ianpspurs similar weather here too. @Tori71 haven’t managed to watch the Hotel Chocolat documentaries yet. Sounds like they could be worth a look.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 2 mini pots of Philadelphia.

Dinner was a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich accompanied by 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages and finished off wit 40g extra thick Jersey cream. Still feeling slightly peckish so may have to add a little something.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I chop it into 'chips' and freeze. Instant oven chips (sort of)......
I do both chunks and chips I often buy 2 whole celeriacs chop then open freeze chunks and chips and then bag so can take handful out at a time. I always cook from frozen. I use chunks not just for roasties but also pop into casseroles, curries and soup they add a good thickness to the mix or boil some for mash. A very versatile and tasty veg. I also use swede in this way but it’s a stronger flavour and not liked by OH!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. The day started brightly but became grey and uninspiring here so I hope it was better for you all. Menu
Breakfast: Tea - 3 pint mugs; Lunch: 2 x 1.5 pints Tea Late afternoon: 1 babybel and Cocoa: Evening meal around 18.45: Cheese and mushroom fluffy omelette with some salad and mayo; slice of Christmas Stilton about 18.00; tea
No one forced me to eat that menu and it wasn't unpleasant but not sure about cheese, cheese and cheese. Back seems to be improving which is just as well as Julie also has back problems which have not been helped by me shirking my responsibilities. Still, long way to go to June and next set of tests so plenty of time to sort things out.
Pleased your back is improving

Reactions: zauberflote

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ianpspurs similar weather here too. @Tori71 haven’t managed to watch the Hotel Chocolat documentaries yet. Sounds like they could be worth a look.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 2 mini pots of Philadelphia.

Dinner was a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich accompanied by 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages and finished off wit 40g extra thick Jersey cream. Still feeling slightly peckish so may have to add a little something.
I watched both episodes about hotel chocolat they were interesting but made me crave choc so maybe wait until you’ve finished your carnivore experiment you will be tempted or it may feel like torture!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all foggy and cold here first thing so no blood moon to be seen but it brightened later. Should have been looking after youngest’s dog today but his partner not well so she stayed home with dog. Ended up on an impromptu shopping trip -including buying a jumper! @Goonergal and @DJC3 - and then met youngest for lunch. Wonderful treat day, catch up and plans made for future family events as it’s our eldest’s birthday in a week and a half and more family will be visiting- I love family meet ups.
Breakfast boiled egg and a small slice of a Lidl lc roll (from my freezer stash of German imports!)
Lunch out at Beefeater - limited choice on lunch specials I had gammon and egg - no chips, peas or pineapple ring - she did offer salad as an alternative but it doesn’t seem to go with fried egg in my view!
Dinner beef curry made from left over brisket with cauliflower rice followed by a couple of scoops of opp o ice cream served with some Greek yoghurt.
Have a good evening all.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Oh @Chook UGH all four of you poor things!
Glad at least your back is getting on the mend @ianpspurs
@Tori71 and @Goonergal may have to join the “watch Hotel Chocolat” crowd if it’s streaming. I can smell it now!!
ETA whoops, hit post instead of phone’s home button

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Breakfast - usual protein peanut & chocolate bar with cup of tea. This bar had way more chocolate chips in than normal - not complaining about it but did have to check my BG after as hadn’t occurred to me before that varying chocolate quantities within the bar could alter it, and thankfully the same old under 0.8 rise I’ve always got from it so I’m now hoping the rest in the box are just as packed with chocolate :angelic:
Lunch - real meat feast with a chicken quarter and a portion of ‘ribs of fire’ off the hot counter at Morrison’s. You’re meant to get 10 mini ribs but the woman behind the counter must have been feeling generous as there was 18 in the bag!! I greedily ate 14 of them along with the chicken
Dinner - unsurprisingly not hungry, despite going taking my daughter swimming after work. So will have my 2 squares of green & blacks mint chocolate with a cup of tea and be satisfied with that

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: bacon with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Starbucks coconut cappuccino with a CCB
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck with the veggies, three small pancakes with a tiny smudge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: bacon with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Starbucks coconut cappuccino with a CCB
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck with the veggies, three small pancakes with a tiny smudge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Enjoy your holiday

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Last night after dinner 6.9
A little cider vinegar in water before bed.
Today
Blood sugar reading on getting up 5.1
Breakfast ginger and lemon water, half grapefruit, oat bran with almond milk, cup of tea with milk
Mid morning 1 avocado
Lunch small tin tuna, cappachuno, 2 biscuits
Dinner broccoli, cabbage, carrots and 3 sausage butter, 1 orange, 1 chocolate cornetto, 10 pistachios cup of tea with milk
After dinner reading 7.3
I think the chocolate cornetto did it
How are these readings? I would really like your thoughts on this many thanks x
PS I seem to crave food after dinner, looking for something to eat all the time in the evening x

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 a jumper is a pullover sweater, yes? I also shopped for one today, may actually have to buy it. “Cozy lofty cable turtleneck” I already have two, What Do I Need With A Third??!? and @Goonergal and shelley262 salad goes with anything!!
Went for annual mammo today (clean, thank God), after which I went to the grocery store that has celery root. Also bought some kohlrabi, which has 2.6g net carbs/100g. A cup raw has 3.2. Anyway its carbs are well over half fiber, which is kinda one of my criteria. Do I know how to cook it? Nope! Somebody please explain why celeriac is ok? My app here says it’s not high in fiber compared to the total carbs.
FBG ordinary. Post bfast and post lunch 15 points higher and not ordinary. Did test twice for bfast. No fair!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, 1 tbsp pine nuts, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch celery, toms, almond butter on La Tortilla Factory tortilla
Snack now chunk swiss cheese, and so far one chipped piece 90% choc. Might open another bar, not sure yet.
Have to eat supper early, going out at usual supper time. Won’t get walk in either.
IMG_7401.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are these readings? I would really like your thoughts on this many thanks x
PS I seem to crave food after dinner, looking for something to eat all the time in the evening x

Hi @Fo and welcome to the thread. Do you know what your readings are immediately before eating? And how long after eating are you taking the post meal ones? Usually the guidance is to rise no more than 2 mmols at the 2 hour post meal point.

There are quite a lot of carbs in your menu - especially the evening meal and that could be triggering your hunger/cravings in the evening.

Reactions: maglil55 and Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fo and welcome to the thread. Do you know what your readings are immediately before eating? And how long after eating are you taking the post meal ones? Usually the guidance is to rise no more than 2 mmols at the 2 hour post meal point.

There are quite a lot of carbs in your menu - especially the evening meal and that could be triggering your hunger/cravings in the evening.
Hello
Thank you for your reply. No I haven’t taken my reading before dinner, I will start doing that too. What would you say are particularly high carbs in my menu please? I felt pretty good today, only by this time of night I am usually feeling pretty groggy x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 a jumper is a pullover sweater, yes? I also shopped for one today, may actually have to buy it. “Cozy lofty cable turtleneck” I already have two, What Do I Need With A Third??!? and @Goonergal and shelley262 salad goes with anything!!
Went for annual mammo today (clean, thank God), after which I went to the grocery store that has celery root. Also bought some kohlrabi, which has 2.6g net carbs/100g. A cup raw has 3.2. Anyway its carbs are well over half fiber, which is kinda one of my criteria. Do I know how to cook it? Nope! Somebody please explain why celeriac is ok? My app here says it’s not high in fiber compared to the total carbs.
FBG ordinary. Post bfast and post lunch 15 points higher and not ordinary. Did test twice for bfast. No fair!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, 1 tbsp pine nuts, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch celery, toms, almond butter on La Tortilla Factory tortilla
Snack now chunk swiss cheese, and so far one chipped piece 90% choc. Might open another bar, not sure yet.
Have to eat supper early, going out at usual supper time. Won’t get walk in either. View attachment 30766
Yes jumpers are pullovers! Pleased mammogram good. Celeriac is only 2.3g of carb per 100g and you treat it like potatoes ie you can mash, roast or add to casseroles, curries, soup etc. The joy of celeriac for me is it replaces potatoes in my recipes but is low carb. Most difficult bit about celeriac is the peeling take care with it. I tend to cut into smaller pieces and then peel. Peelings can be used to make a stock. Hope this helps

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Thank you for your reply. No I haven’t taken my reading before dinner, I will start doing that too. What would you say are particularly high carbs in my menu please? I felt pretty good today, only by this time of night I am usually feeling pretty groggy x

Hi again

I’d identify these as high carb:

grapefruit, oat bran
biscuits
orange, chocolate cornetto,

Personally carrots are also too high in carbs for me but others can manage them. Depending on meat content the sausages may also have a surprising amount of carbs. As far as nuts go pistachios are not the lowest carb. Try macadamias, almonds, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts.

You might find this link helpful https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides