What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Very quick post as have to head out to Pilates. Will catch up properly later. @shelley262 @Brunneria article looks interesting, will read once back home.

A fishy day today. Lunch was smoked salmon and some of the delicious M&S whipped creamy cheese.

Dinner was pan fried Dover sole with a lemon butter sauce followed by , you’ve guessed it, extra thick double cream. Need some advice on the lemon butter sauce - can’t quite get the lemon/butter balance right. Either too thin or not lemony enough. Thoughts?

On another note, this might be of interest to people on this thread - being promoted by David Unwin on Twitter. @Debandez and I are both signed up.

https://realfoodrocks.co.uk/about/
I had this on Copy Me That.
https://recipesfromapantry.com/lemon-butter-sauce-5-mins/

I've also added some white wine to the basic sauce and as it reduces the alcohol reduces and the sauce thickens a little. I've always done it as a thin ish sauce. I was fond of it on spaghetti in my pre diabetic days. Now you've put it back in my mind I'm thinking it will go well with salmon and oomi noodles.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bet it will be like bread in that saying it works would be alternative facts but hope someone proves me wrong.
I remember being instructed by Mum and Grandma over the making of shortbread and many other things. Clootie Dumpling was another and all sorts of jam. Good old tripe as well which I was going on about last week (last portion is in the freezer in case I cant get more). What sticks in my mind is the importance of creaming the butter and sugar properly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember being instructed by Mum and Grandma over the making of shortbread and many other things. Clootie Dumpling was another and all sorts of jam. Good old tripe as well which I was going on about last week (last portion is in the freezer in case I cant get more). What sticks in my mind is the importance of creaming the butter and sugar properly.
Methinks a dose of realism around this LC malarky is needed. There are some tastes. textures and pleasures forever gone and the counterfeit ones will only disappoint. To enjoy some of them I am sure I just need to go feral from time to time. Totally in awe of anyone fully buying into LCHF 365. It is an excellent way of having to carefully think about exactly what is worth going feral for - long overdue for me. Part of the route here for me seems to have been self-medication - loved the classroom but managing/mixing with some senior colleagues was harmful. Mostly, the people at the top of schools are those who should never be allowed near children - leadership group meetings were scary - like they were gaslighting a few of us.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Methinks a dose of realism around this LC malarky is needed. There are some tastes. textures and pleasures forever gone and the counterfeit ones will only disappoint. To enjoy some of them I am sure I just need to go feral from time to time. Totally in awe of anyone fully buying into LCHF 365. It is an excellent way of having to carefully think about exactly what is worth going feral for - long overdue for me. Part of the route here for me seems to have been self-medication - loved the classroom but managing/mixing with some senior colleagues was harmful. Mostly, the people at the top of schools are those who should never be allowed near children - leadership group meetings were scary - like they were gaslighting a few of us.
I agree and my husband has a few desert island foods he will go feral for, once in a blue moon. One of these is a small amount of proper sourdough wood-fired pizza (we have a beehive pizza oven in our garden), once in a while. Nothing LC can come close to that in terms of taste and texture. I agree with you about the bread too, as someone who used to make sourdough loaves regularly, nothing will ever come close. However, that doesn't stop me searching for solutions that will offer some sort of compromise. It's easy for me to say this, as I don't need to eat LC for health reasons and can cheat when I want to with no repercussions. But, I don't want to eat differently to my husband most of the time and try to find things that are palatable and enjoyable for both of us. He is by no means a LC purist, but exercises good carb control probably 95% time. This is why we have decided not to go fully Keto, as I feel it is too restrictive for us and will make us more likely to stray. I am forever the optimist though! :happy:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my late lunch:
Half a Keto breadroll broken up into a chunk of crumbled chorizo.
Melt a chunk of butter in a pan (other fats available but I like butter).
Chuck in the mixed bread and chorizo and cook away.
After a couple of minutes toss in a few greens - I used a few blanched green beans.
Crack in a couple of eggs and sprinkle with chia seeds, garlic granules, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
Cover until eggs are cooked.
The bread chunks should be nice and crispy.

Dinner tonight, already prepped:
Burns Supper theme
2 sausages - our local butcher only uses meat and herbs.
Neeps and Creamy cauliflower tatties
Buttered leeks with thyme

Pudding is raspberry cranachan trifle
Basically. A few raspberries in the bottom of a glass
Alternative layers of;
Cream - 2/3 double cream, 1/3 mascarpone and sweetener of your choice - I used stevia - drop of scotch if you will. Beat to soft peaks.
Crunchy things - I used the @Rachox low carb chocolate granola
A raspberry or so on top

Happy Burns Night.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing today, 24 hour fast underway but am having some double cream in coffee.

Agree about going feral, I know I will do that at some point but hope it will be a very occasional treat. I'm very hopeful that lchf is going to work as a sustainable way of life for me, but now and again I'll have something off limits. To think otherwise is for me unrealistic and knowing I can lapse if I need to, then correct it with intermittent fasting makes it possible.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think I'd go feral for fruit. I really, REALLY miss fruit. I've just come back from the monthly shop in Asda and Morrison's and trying to avoid the fruit sections was almost impossible. I found myself gazing wistfully at pineapples and melons.

Today....

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs (I decided I needed to eat something before the mega monthly shop or I'd end up impulse buying like I normally do. The plan worked and I kept to my list.)

Lunch: Huge black decaff coffee in Costa - so hard not to have the little jugs of cream

Dinner: Lamb rump steaks with some asparagus.

Drinks: Black decaff coffees, still water, glass or two of Prosecco (which, I'm told, is low in carb - well, that's my excuse!)

BTW, I found some 10% Turkish yoghurt in Asda- it was in the ethnic foods chiller - Mr C says it's just as lovely as the one we used to be able to get in Lidl.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 my mother was also a fan of well-creamed butter/sugar in baking. And only gently mixing the flour in so you don’t get tough whatever. And making pie pastry by hand, with some fat cut in fine and some coarse. I cringe when my dil’s recipes tell her to turn the stand mixer on and just throw the ingredients in. There’s science involved in proper baking!
@ianpspurs @BibaBee I agree about feral, even though I don’t yet have the “street cred” to say. I think mine would lead towards fruit. Fresh, juicy, sweet-tart fruit. For many decades I’ve been a fruitaholic! Whatever’s in season here, eat early, often, and plenty! I am pretending I don’t miss it, but somehow cheese and butter don’t do the same magic. And probably a special ice cream.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook snap re fruit! I have to buy for Mr ZF, so there it is in the frig waiting...don’t know what I’m going to do come summer, when I get my melon, tomatoes n squash (at least they’re ok to a point!), and sweet corn at the farm stand. Probably going to be some feral eating of intoxicatingly scented melon, and corn on the cob for its short season.
And go you for sticking to your list!!
ETA a few words I forgot

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal, we have a Lemonpepper seasoning mix. The commercially sourced one we have (bought abroad) has a bit of sugar in it, but in reality so little is used. There are also some easy seasoning mix recipes out there, with justy salt, pepper and lemon zest, like this one: https://wellnessmama.com/4538/lemon-pepper-recipe/

I had this on Copy Me That.
https://recipesfromapantry.com/lemon-butter-sauce-5-mins/

I've also added some white wine to the basic sauce and as it reduces the alcohol reduces and the sauce thickens a little. I've always done it as a thin ish sauce. I was fond of it on spaghetti in my pre diabetic days. Now you've put it back in my mind I'm thinking it will go well with salmon and oomi noodles.

Thanks @DCUKMod and @maglil55 both of those look good. Copied me that!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A few old favourites today.

Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling.

Dinner was chicken wings coated with Parmesan, ground pork crunch and garlic salt followed by extra thick double cream.

Must be the day for shopping. Stocked up on steak and various cuts of lamb at Waitrose.

And on the topic of going feral, potato crisps are my weak point.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Early post for me as dinner is cooking now as off for a swim again later so want to make sure totally digested
Breakfast - usual protein peanut & chocolate bar with tea
Mid morning - large coffee
Lunch - raided Morrison’s hot counter again and had 2 chicken & veg skewers and a tex mex chicken quarter with some mayo
Mid afternoon - 2 squares green & blacks orange and almond with a coffee
Dinner - king prawn stir fry with cabbage, peppers, beansprouts and onion with Nando’s hot sauce

Need to up my water intake - never been a fan but started drinking lots when first diagnosed. But realised I’ve become lazy and barely manage a glass a day and I did feel better for it so that’s my aim for the weekend - more water!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast:Homemade granola and hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Pate, ham, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese stuffed peppers, Strawberries, cream and chocolate granola.
Dinner: Salt and pepper chicken crown, roasted celeriac, sweet potatoes, carrots and asparagus., half a glass of port. Three squares of 90% lindt.
Snacks: Nuts

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Another day of winter gone so whatever else happened that has to be good. Nothing feral today although Haggis was tempting. @Chook and @zauberflote I pick the odd apple and pear from our trees, take one or two bites and give the chickens the rest. I will have one apple crumble each year. @BibaBee not a pizza fan but sourdough bread - dark rye type - is one feral treat on birthday and at Christmas. Both times are 6 months before next test.
OMAD day for me. Just tea until 18.00 then giant avocados salad including php and loads of chia seeds with salmon fillet. Crispy skin was the clincher.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all!
Breakfast: Lime & Chia pudding with flaked almonds. Coffee and splash of cream.
Lunch: Leftovers from last night's chicken fajitas. Mr B had some HM smokey spiced nuts and a DD Keto roll.
Dinner: Fathead pizza with mushrooms and salami. Not as good as the real thing by any means, but it has scratched an itch.

@ianpspurs Just before Mr B's diagnosis, he had booked for me to go on an artisan bakery class as a birthday gift. Oh the irony! Little did I know that a few weeks later we would be literally waving goodbye to our daily bread. But, he still insisted I went along in September and I palmed off the yeasty goodies on my parents. We were taught how to make a scolded sourdough rye with added seeds (flax, pumpkin and sunflower), amongst other things. It was so easy and delicious. I'm intrigued to see if it gives Mr B's BG a spike. There is no sugar or molasses in the recipe, just sourdough starter, dark rye, salt, seeds and very hot water. I feel ever so emotional talking about bread......it was my no.1 hobby before Mr B's diagnosis. I feel bad about torturing him with the smell of baking bread. :(

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@ianpspurs

I envy you. I miss having chickens... I used to keep lots of chooks, geese, turkeys and ducks and really miss them, especially the geese.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thanks for your dd lasagne suggestion I just used and modified a bit the pasta recipe from the dd site https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lasagna
I’ll put adapted recipe in the new updated recipe booklet as just made it for two of us and did my usual bolognese sauce and topping what a revelation it was. I’m now wondering if I could play with pasta recipe a bit more to use in other pasta dishes. I used to do a chicken pasta bake I loved. I think this pasta using psyllium husk ground into a flour mixed with eggs and cream cheese is similar to fresh pasta and much nicer than the fake pastas you can buy. Will report on results of experiments over next few weeks! Meanwhile wow first lasagne in over 18 months OH loved it too.
Breakfast bacon and egg withone slice of Lidl low carb roll toasted
Lunch tin of mackerel in olive oil and ACV, a few nuts and three of my new lc seeded crispbreads (0.5g carb in total) plus with coffee two 100% hotel Chocolat buttons.
Dinner lc lasagne with salad leaves followed by lc lemon mousse.

B9ECE1DD-9CF2-446D-9EB5-9C0D5032C6DC.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thanks for your dd lasagne suggestion I just used and modified a bit the pasta recipe from the dd site https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lasagna
I’ll put adapted recipe in the new updated recipe booklet as just made it for two of us and did my usual bolognese sauce and topping what a revelation it was. I’m now wondering if I could play with pasta recipe a bit more to use in other pasta dishes. I used to do a chicken pasta bake I loved. I think this pasta using psyllium husk ground into a flour mixed with eggs and cream cheese is similar to fresh pasta and much nicer than the fake pastas you can buy. Will report on results of experiments over next few weeks! Meanwhile wow first lasagne in over 18 months OH loved it too.
Breakfast bacon and egg withone slice of Lidl low carb roll toasted
Lunch tin of mackerel in olive oil and ACV, a few nuts and three of my new lc seeded crispbreads (0.5g carb in total) plus with coffee two 100% hotel Chocolat buttons.
Dinner lc lasagne with salad leaves followed by lc lemon mousse.

View attachment 30823

It’s surprisingly good isn’t it? Even non- low carbers enjoyed it. I thought the same as you, that it could quite happily be adapted for other pasta recipes.