What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no recipe. Just your stats. I make lots of veg stir fries but was hoping for the extra ingredients to make the veg taste Malaysian.
Hi @Viv19, how strange. Anyhow, here you go:

Ingredients
  • 1 celeriac, peeled, cut into chunks and parboiled
  • Coconut oil
  • Tin coconut milk
  • A bunch of coriander separated into stalks and leaves
  • A thumb size piece of ginger
  • 2 fat cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds join
  • ½ tsp tumeric powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 small red onion, finely sliced
  • 1 or two red chillis, finely sliced

Steps
  1. Peel and cube the celeriac and then parboil for 10 minutes, drain and rest in a colander (you can add some carrot as well if you like).
  2. In a pestle and mortar pound together the coriander stalks, garlic and ginger (don’t blitz unless you really have to as it all goes to mush).
  3. Dry fry the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and tumeric and then pound in a pestle and mortar.
  4. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to a medium hot pan (I use a frying pan) and add the pounded coriander stalks, garlic and ginger and cook quickly, stirring.
  5. Now stir in the toasted coriander, cumin and tumeric mix.
  6. Give it a stir and add some salt. (Don’t worry if it all begins to stick to the pan).
  7. Add the celeriac and carefully coat with the spices.
  8. Give the can of coconut milk a good shake to mix it all up, then open and pour over the celeriac.
  9. Leave to simmer until the celeriac is cooked through.
  10. At the last minute add the finely sliced onion and red chilli, pour into dishes and top with chopped coriander.
Notes
  • I added some peas towards the end.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - it’s the way forward and a completely new concept for some of the local jet set in the dark and dangerous north. I say jet set but these are pre Frank Whittle jet setters - so probably prop setters to be truthful. So - bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, black koffy, glass of water.
Later - mid afternoon - Kefir - milk type - 100g - measuring milk, what next.
Dinner - spicy cauliflower cheese. Green trimmings sautéd with mushrooms and garlic and a soupçon of chicken stock.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - it’s the way forward and a completely new concept for some of the local jet set in the dark and dangerous north. I say jet set but these are pre Frank Whittle jet setters - so probably prop setters to be truthful. So - bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, black koffy, glass of water.
Later - mid afternoon - Kefir - milk type - 100g - measuring milk, what next.
Dinner - spicy cauliflower cheese. Green trimmings sautéd with mushrooms and garlic and a soupçon of chicken stock.
I'll see your prop setters and raise you. People in places such as Kenny Hill still haven't heard Good Queen Bess has died - come to that they don't know what a hill is.
https://www.getthedata.com/postcode/IP28-8DS

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Chinese style cold pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts (I christened my silicone cupcake moulds!) with petit pois and sweetcorn followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.

CAEF3FDD-ED1C-46BA-B95A-1DE15298E6F6.jpeg

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo oh my gosh how scary...was the cooker a write off?
The slow cooker came through ok, the stove element smelt of scorched wood varnish next time we used it,
@Tipetoo OMG - thank goodness you got to it in time. Scary!!
A moments inattention is all it takes to start a fire, it was a good thing there was a fair bit of smoke as it showed that the smoke alarms were cactus.

We are glad that it happened in daylight, all I have to do now is pay the electrician for supply and wiring in the new smoke alarms.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just realised it’s still light and it’s 8:15. Lovely!

Early morning - lots of TWAM and CWC
B: 1 scrambled egg, large on slice of Emmental with spoonful of kimchi.
L: Chicken soup made with yesterdays’s bone broth, the picked chicken meat and a handful of spinach leaves. Followed by sf jelly, cream and a bit of grated 100% chocolate.
D: IP chilli - with black olives instead of kidney beans ( great suggestion @shelley262) plus cauli rice and grated cheese. 1glass red.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all last day in Dundee but tomorrow first class goodies again!
Breakfast scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
Lunch coffeeand four squares montezumas choc 100% with orange oil and cocoa nibs
Dinner Nando’s half chicken, mayo, half advocado, halloumi cheese and glass dry white
We’ve had great weather and amazing few days away from home. Plan to come back to Scotland again loved our time here.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to add I had one of Carolyn Ketchum’s hamburger buns with the soup - the ones using whey protein. I wasn’t too keen on them - they had that dry crumbly mouthfeel like coconut flour gives ( although no coconut flour in them) put a load of butter on, but still felt dry. I don’t think I’ll do them again. They probably could have done with a couple of minutes less in the oven but I think they would still have had the same texture.
IMG_7313.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May be the wrong thread but folk on here are knowledgeable. Can Metformin suddenly cause digestive system issues after a few years - 4 in my case? I have reduced from 2 to 1 for about a year but the recent problems seem to coincide with trying to eat a higher fat ratio. Only time I have previously had issues was when I ate much fattier food e.g wagyu burgers.
Edit: Dr Google suggests it is rare but can happen - anyone else heard of or suffered from this?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May be the wrong thread but folk on here are knowledgeable. Can Metformin suddenly cause digestive system issues after a few years - 4 in my case? I have reduced from 2 to 1 for about a year but the recent problems seem to coincide with trying to eat a higher fat ratio. Only time I have previously had issues was when I ate much fattier food e.g wagyu burgers.
I’d guess it could change - it did for my mum and also me. When I went keto and OMAD i started to suffer from Metformin problems after taking them fine for a few years. I was so bad - with violent pains- I had to stop and never gone back on them. My mum too took them for years but recently has started to have probs. Worth seeing dn? Could you try slow release and or reduce amount? Could be something else but worth considering hope you manage to sort it.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

B: none
L: scallops and prawns in garlic butter with a scattering of parmesan. First time I’ve cooked scallops in YEARS. Forgotten how much i enjoyed them!
4pm: LC profiteroles with cream and LC choc sauce
D: lamb shanks (2 small)
Busy work day, and I kept forgetting to drink. Definitely need to keep glugging it back this evening!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d guess it could change - it did for my mum and also me. When I went keto and OMAD i started to suffer from Metformin problems after taking them fine for a few years. I was so bad - with violent pains- I had to stop and never gone back on them. My mum too took them for years but recently has started to have probs. Worth seeing dn? Could you try slow release and or reduce amount? Could be something else but worth considering hope you manage to sort it.
Thanks @shelley262 - see my DN? you have a wicked sense of humour.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Chinese style cold pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts (I christened my silicone cupcake moulds!) with petit pois and sweetcorn followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.

View attachment 32678
I'm sure I've got some of those moulds kicking around somewhere, great idea. Did you see the Waitrose recipe I shared the other day? Almost an eggs royale version of your tuna melts. They look delicious!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 - see my DN? you have a wicked sense of humour.
Im about to talk to Mums dn about her Metformin just waiting for her hbaca1 to discuss either trying slow release or giving up. She only takes one but causing her real issues when she stops problems go have you tried stopping for a few days? Hugs

Reactions: dunelm and DJC3

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to add I had one of Carolyn Ketchum’s hamburger buns with the soup - the ones using whey protein. I wasn’t too keen on them - they had that dry crumbly mouthfeel like coconut flour gives ( although no coconut flour in them) put a load of butter on, but still felt dry. I don’t think I’ll do them again. They probably could have done with a couple of minutes less in the oven but I think they would still have had the same texture.
View attachment 32679
Such a shame they were disappointing.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure I've got some of those moulds kicking around somewhere, great idea. Did you see the Waitrose recipe I shared the other day? Almost an eggs royale version of your tuna melts. They look delicious!
Oh I missed them, they sound good! Do you mind reposting the recipe please?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im about to talk to Mums dn about her Metformin just waiting for her hbaca1 to discuss either trying slow release or giving up. She only takes one but causing her real issues when she stops problems go have you tried stopping for a few days? Hugs
I have stopped taking metformin before and no real difference to bg. My lack of faith in LCHF must be well known on here so my instinct is to blame the higher F ratio but I will stop metformin for a while - which is what Dr google suggested.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening everyone. Today's menu looked like this:

B Orange chia pudding with strawberries and flaked almonds. Black coffee.
L Leftover frittata, olives, chicory, cucumber, tomatoes.
D: Unearthed Bavarian frankfurters (they were lovely) with Diet Doctor hot dog buns. Small amount of fried onion, sauerkraut, homemade currywurst style sauce, mustard. Quick choc mousse made from square of 85% choc, creme fraiche and a blob of almond butter. Decaf coffee with cream