What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just going to get ready for this family wedding so no idea what today's food will be.
Yesterday? Bed 6.9 FBG 6.6. A seriously bizarre evening. Day started well enough. Last 1/2 day before school holidays started. P7 exited primary before going off to senior school to be bombarded by silly string, exploding streamers and confetti and were barely recognisable by the time they reached the gates. It was very, very hot yesterday. Decided to eat at the pub son's band was playing.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 boiled eggs with a little mustard mayo.
L. 2 slices salami after Lego club with the boys.
D. Out with the in laws and their relatives here to see sons band. Normal pub grub and only thing I could find was a bunless burger with cheese, mushroom and salad. It was a nice burger though. 3 diet cokes over the night (I was driving).
Place is along the coast but the natives are very different to ours! Started with a very sweary battle between 2 locals for early evening entertainment until the landlord stepped in. Followed later when the band started by some very drunk older ladies trying to act like teens. One in particular had BIL hiding in his polo shirt. She fell over twice trying to dance in too high stilettos, legs in the air and flashing undies! Burst the back of her dress and was eventually removed once totally incoherent. She and her friends squeezed onto the end of our table and kept sitting on things forcing our movement. She wet a chair one of our group was using (trying not to think how), sat on BIL's sister who was visiting from Cornwall then managed to knock a pint if lager over her! I remember why we don't go there now. Band were good though.
There was more but probably too much!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Slept later - could be the base layer I wore. So far similar clothing today, minus fleece, and no shivering. Tiredness always has made me feel cold but so has LC/losing weight and folks know it is a rare day I am not hungry.

Have a hug to warm you up.
(Had to give your post a Like as I use the app and that’s the only option the appsters have, but it’s not really appropriate in many cases)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Very hot here today - and this cold (yes, it's STILL with me) has put me right off my food - definitely not like me.

Breakfast: M&S Arbroath smoked kippers with scrambled eggs - My favourite breakfast but I could only manage under half if it but the four legged dustbin made quick work of the leftovers

Lunch: 3 little chicken skewers from Asda - very nice but not in the mood. This time Mr C got my leftovers.

Dinner: Off out to a barbecue with friends. I'm contributing stuff I can eat and drink just in case it's all burgers and hot dogs in buns and beer - so my contribution will be red wine, some marinated lamb rump steaks, Mr C's signature dish oriental flavoured cucumber salad and some very thin flavoured steak - I got three packs reduced from M&S yesterday. The cucumber in the salad is this year's first from the greenhouse. Dessert will be just a few strawberries

Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water - and some red wine

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Quick check in again - on the train from New York to Washington to meet old friends and colleagues.

@Chook hug for the cold but winner for the menu!

Thursday was lunch of rotisserie chicken with mayonnaise and a small bag of salted macadamia. They do 28g bags here - stocking up! Plus 50g of a delicious local 85% chocolate. Dinner was assorted baked cheese crisps, a roltini (cigar sized rolito) and some almonds.

Yesterday was an OMAD day. More rotisserie chicken with butter and mayo added.

Menu for today’s lunch sounds promising.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
Feels like I haven’t posted on here for ages.

Yesterday:
Low carb hot choc and cream
Homemade pulled pork shoulder, with a dollop of cream cheese.

Today:
Wensleydale
With pulled pork later, probably with more cream cheese.

Very hot and sunny today, so my gardening plans are on hold and I am mooching frustratedly. Everything i can think of doing (including making burglars, hanging curtains, shampooing carpets and even watching TV will make me overheat. Lol.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
MrS seems worse today. More uncomfortable. Don't know how to help him.
Foodwise. This morning, the same as yesterday- I know did not post it, busy doing other stuff. This morning at least was not fiddling with ap to ty and find appropriate food to add calories, but not fat, to breakfast.
Had 2x eggs scrambled with butter, avocado, about 70g, toasted one slice of my new favorite bread. Beau and Bon, seeded, wholemeal, and just under 8 g carbs a slice.
Lunch, salad, ham slice, Foies de volaille, am going to have those again. About 4cm seeded baguette, water, celariac remoulade.
Was going to roast chicken legs, intention cold with salad for me sandwich for him, but now out of gas on the cooker, did light the BBQ but ended up binning 1 kilo of warm raw chicken.both of us indoors all day, except for trip to chemist. Me hiding from the heat, him flat on the bed, third day now. Very worrying.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food eaten today

Cwc
Bits dark chocolate
Cwc

Cwc

Realised I had bought too much meat not far enough date ahead, so applewood smoked ham with hard cheese and mayo

Strawberries with cream

Cwc
Ginger and lemon drink
Raspberries each time I walk past my raspberry bush
Cwc

Again, having to finish some short date meat, and some short date cheese and mayo

Cwc
Water
Ginger and lemon tea
Ordinary tea

I think that is it...

Will be more tea and nettle tea...it's too hot today...

>^..^<

Ah, just remembered..I cooked some fresh fish in the microwave earlier. Not sure when I ate it..weather too hot and muggy..

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
Everything i can think of doing (including making burglars, hanging curtains, shampooing carpets and even watching TV will make me overheat. Lol.

How do you make a burglar, never mind several? I've always found the prospect unedifying.

;)

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MrS seems worse today. More uncomfortable. Don't know how to help him.
Foodwise. This morning, the same as yesterday- I know did not post it, busy doing other stuff. This morning at least was not fiddling with ap to ty and find appropriate food to add calories, but not fat, to breakfast.
Had 2x eggs scrambled with butter, avocado, about 70g, toasted one slice of my new favorite bread. Beau and Bon, seeded, wholemeal, and just under 8 g carbs a slice.
Lunch, salad, ham slice, Foies de volaille, am going to have those again. About 4cm seeded baguette, water, celariac remoulade.
Was going to roast chicken legs, intention cold with salad for me sandwich for him, but now out of gas on the cooker, did light the BBQ but ended up binning 1 kilo of warm raw chicken.both of us indoors all day, except for trip to chemist. Me hiding from the heat, him flat on the bed, third day now. Very worrying.

Sorry if I missed something, SlimLizzy, but what ails your chap?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make a burglar, never mind several? I've always found the prospect unedifying.

;)

So did I, then one day Mr B wanted them (like an addict craves choc!) and I only had mince in the fridge.
So i made it up on the fly.

This is the approx recipe, but I change it every time.
V quick and easy.

I crumble 2 kg of 15% lamb or beef mince into a big bowl. This breaks the slab of compressed mince up to allow the other ingredients to mix in properly.

Then I crack 2 eggs into a measuring jug, add seasonings, beat, pour over the mince, knead it all together v similar to kneading bread, divide it into equal sized blobs, beat, pummel and pat any air gaps out, bag and freeze.

Optional seasonings:
Onion and/or garlic granules (the granules mean there is no need to pre cook AND they suck moisture and stop the mix being sloppy.
Worcestershire sauce
Mustard or horseradish (beef)
Mint (lamb)
Relishes such as garlic pickle, brinjal or sun dried tomato paste
Anything else you fancy
Absolutely no need for any binders like breadcrumbs, psyllium husks or similar.

You could use this basic mix for meatballs, homemade sausage type things, breakfast balls (just add cheese)

I get 8 blobs from 2kg (250g each), but i don’t bother to divide them further or shape them before freezing. I wait til they have defrosted and then decide how I want them shaped for whatever meal I want to cook.

1 x 250g blob is a single huge burglar for carnivorous me.
I would make that same amount into 2 x 125g burglars for quicker cooking, or for Mr B to muck up with burger buns.
I take pre-frozen 125g pre-shaped patties to MIL for her freezer.
I think a blob would probably make around 8 meatballs, but I cant see the point of the phaff of shaping them.
And i am sure a blob would easily break up and stirfry into crumbled cooked mince for a LC shepherd’s pie filling, or similar.

If you are going to freezer them pre-shaped you need to layer them with clingfilm or butchers paper, and make sure they don’t squish before they freeze hard.

:D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s probably too late for this visit but does anyone know the online company to buy the bread mixes from? Diet something or other.

I get mine from Dr Almond. :D
They post internationally.

Reactions: Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s probably too late for this visit but does anyone know the online company to buy the bread mixes from? Diet something or other.
Here you go @Viv19 https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/62-breads-rollshttps://mydiet-shop.co.uk/62-breads-rolls
Might as well add what I've had today. Tea - hot and cold infusion. 2 hot ones with cream while Julie, son and DIL were eating in the pub. Electrolyte enriched water x 2. I ate about 4 raspberries when picking them. No fleece needed today.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian, do you continue to lose weight with your current eating regime?
Not really. Stabilises around 73 to 74 kgs. Last 2 days have not been about weight or bg control. About .6 kg lower in June than December.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - 2 small slices wholemeal toast with soft cheese
Lunch - 2 oatcakes, small piece vegan cheese, salad
Dinner - at last I have made my veggie curry! Butternut squash and lentil.

Haven't had it yet, been too busy cleaning this 2nd hand freezer. It is done now - took all yesterday afternoon (after No 1 son checked the electrics and fixed the cable which didn't meet his exacting standards) and all this afternoon as well after I came back from my shopping trip, courtesy of the angel No 1 son again. He's saying he must pump up the tyres on the wheelchair because he was struggling to push it. No 2 son could manage it easily, but he's not sick.

Did manage to clear all the "stuff" from the kitchen surfaces and put them back in the, now, clean and freshly painted equipment cupboard, this morning before shopping.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. Stabilises around 73 to 74 kgs. Last 2 days have not been about weight or bg control.

If on what you eat, your weight is stabilised, and you feel the cold a lot, I would urge you to have your thyroid looked at properly. I don't mean a nanby-pamby TSH test; a proper examination.

A wonky thyroid can wreak havoc with all manner of systems, and can lead to some interesting, in all the wrong ways, complications over time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If on what you eat, your weight is stabilised, and you feel the cold a lot, I would urge you to have your thyroid looked at properly. I don't mean a nanby-pamby TSH test; a proper examination.

A wonky thyroid can wreak havoc with all manner of systems, and can lead to some interesting, in all the wrong ways, complications over time.
Thanks. I will talk to my GP but the last week is not typical. More like a virus or hay fever lots of sitting about and dozing off.

Last edited: