What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
01-08-19 midnight snack two pieces of cheese.
Breakfast, as expected, eggs fried in duck fat and the last of the chicken livers. Tea.
Mid morning coffee
Late lunch, sardine salad, MrSlim had toast,
Two biscuits and tea
Dinner toulouse sausage with fried cabbage and peas. Left overs from yesterday, two slices of potato in my portion. More in his.
Typing in car, going to meet Son2 from the ferry. Might be more food or wine later.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with leafy salad, two cherry tomatoes and a little red onion followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mature cheddar omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

difficulty will be bathroom access, anyone sleeping in main room will have visitors to and fro all night.
There's always away to skinnimg a cat, we managed alright without hassles.

Edit: We have had our grandsons stayin with us for a fair while as they both are having a break from uni this year.

The oldest one is sleeping on a king single bed in my office as he lost the toss for the spare bedroom, he also has to put up with me working in it first up in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb interesting about the polyps. I am going to pursue with Dr when I (hopefully) get back from Ireland. Did you find Buscopan helpful at all? Its very sugary though.
Today had large tea and one slice HiLo toast this morning.
Bowl of soup lunchtime.
OH having giant fish fingers later so might try a couple if I fancy. No veg for me right now. Otherwise I will have one of those Danone small yogurts.

No, I only tried Buscopan briefly but it was no help. My GP, at the time, told me it would only help if my problem was IBS and since it didn't help, he concluded that I didn't have IBS. The surgeon was pretty sure it was a reaction to Metformin and that I had to decide whether to put up with the pain (and diarrhoea) or take a chance on my diabetes getting out of control. I decided to keep taking the Metformin. Actually, since reducing carbs to a minimum the Metformin effect has reduced to (mainly) colicky pain and the diarrhoea has considerably reduced. To my mind that is one major benefit of low carbing.

Reactions: Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today:

My day began wrong because we had a power cut with gas and electricity. So no way of cooking breakfast. Was going out to eat but they were in same postcode outage.

So opened a tin of chicken in white sauce. It was a big tin for two. (I was looking for the tin of beef and gravy but couldn’t find it. I think I might try and find some stewed steak in a tin. Emergency rations.)

Couldn’t even make a hot drink. I did have a black coffee in the early hours before the power went off.

So went out to town where dentist is, I had dentist appointment, went into Sayers and got two slices of cheese on toast (the cheese did look generously sprinkled), and no I did not eat the bread (too many carbs and bread does upset my stomach and blood sugars). I just picked the cheese off. But on the way out the girl pulled out a tray of freshly baked mincemeat pies (just the way I like them and I have been good and not had them for a long time now ). I melted, gave in, and brought two and ate them both, and I did enjoy them.

I had a couple of pieces of cheese when I got home. Power had been restored and so unlimited cups of tea now...

Not going to test my blood sugar. I will wait until my fasting blood glucose tomorrow morning and restart my eating afresh.

That’s it.

UPDATE
I finally decided to take a reading
It was 10.8
Far too high for me
I had been steering clear of double figures
But this 10.8 was 6 hours after the last food.
I did eat later today
My breakfast wasn’t ideal
But I couldn’t open the fridge (or freezer) because of the power cuts this morning.
Yes I did eat two mince pies but my day’s eating was kaput.
I need just protein first thing for breakfast, and in doing that allows me some leeway during the day as long as I stop eating at 12 to 1 pm.
It is going to take me days to get my fbg down again :(

Last edited:

Viv19

No, I only tried Buscopan briefly but it was no help. My GP, at the time, told me it would only help if my problem was IBS and since it didn't help, he concluded that I didn't have IBS. The surgeon was pretty sure it was a reaction to Metformin and that I had to decide whether to put up with the pain (and diarrhoea) or take a chance on my diabetes getting out of control. I decided to keep taking the Metformin. Actually, since reducing carbs to a minimum the Metformin effect has reduced to (mainly) colicky pain and the diarrhoea has considerably reduced. To my mind that is one major benefit of low carbing.

Metformin also caused diarrhoea with me. But for the stomach ache I had pantoprazol/omep.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CWC this morning.
Went to Wheal Martyn clay mining museum with granddaughters and Dennis. Much nicer than it sounds. Picnic lunch smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwiches for them and the same in a Lo Dough wrap for me ( don’t ask why I bought this again - I tried it a year ago and didn’t like it, must stop night time phone shopping) also a Baby Bell and 30g almonds.
SIL collected girls early evening and I was sitting outside with a large glass of red and some cheese by 6pm. Completely exhausted they are lovely but I’m enjoying the peace now.
Dinner was chicken korma I found in freezer. Rookie error in not writing carbs on label but can’t have been too bad. Cauliflower rice and a dollop of sour cream. More cheese, more wine.
Even Dennis has conked out so it’s an early night for all of us.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Flathead fillets done on the barbeque, salad.
Dinner: Spag bol with a small portion of reheated pasta, glass or three of red ned.
Breakfast: Usual omelette but with some chopped up garlic chives mixed in, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sweetener / additives, water, eaglehawk merlot.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to say earlier that I ordered some individual UHT cream pots from Amazon. There are loads of lovely cafes and coffee shops down here and they all have a million different types of non-dairy alternatives to milk but never any cream.
The pots arrived today but had a disappointing shelf life - exp 7/9/2019 and I doubt I’ll have finished them by then so I sent a polite email to the supplier. Just checked emails and they have refunded the full amount! Can’t say fairer than that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's off-topic, and deflecting the thread, do I thought I'd tag all curious (if defiantly disinterested :) @Brunneria , @maglil55 ,@Goonergal . @DJC3 - and anyone else) parties here but the baby IP (3qt) went on sale yesterday. It's on Amazon.

Having bought a second 6qt on the recent Prime, I'll give MrB a little longer before another comes home. That said, he is away this weekend, so,..................................

(Honestly, I'll be good!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! A 3 quart one would be fab, but even in my decent sized kitchen I am running out of space.

Didn't eat yesterday, except for a small portion of Wensleydale. Was expecting it to trigger ravenous hunger, and was braced for a full on shark feeding frenzy, but it didn't happen, so went to bed early instead.

This morning, am just sitting down to 5 mini pigs in blankets and half a pack of chilli halloumi made into fries in the airfryer.
not sure I will need more than half, if that.

But I am learing this airfryer thingy in leaps and bounds. The halloumi fries get better and better the longer they are in, and the more golden brown and crispy they get. And NEVER try and tip food out, or you tip all the collected fat onto the plate and countertop.

I did know that.
Of course I did.
But it didn't stop me doing it AGAIN just now.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs- you have me looking forward to getting back to make Skinny Bread again but at the same time not as I am enjoying doing as I please. Hubby did have a chicken sandwich out today and I picked at his salad- bits of cucumber, peppers and he spared me the occasional bit of chicken. Italian coffee place we were in did make a wonderful coffee though. @DJC3 - did they let you keep the creams as well? Only time that happened to me was when No 1 convinced me to order a see saw for the Guineas. It didn't turn up so they refunded and said if it did appear to keep it with their compliments. It did turn up about 2 months later and we did keep it. @Brunneria - let me know how you are air frying halloumi please? Mine has a paddle to stir so I assume the paddle will be removed? I'm still away so no rush.
Anyway yesterday Bed 5.3 FBG 5.4 - Libre is still not fully settled during the day (it's fine today but not yesterday).
B. Pot of coffee, jug of cream and slice of GF toast pretty much followed me to the table yesterday. Had my usual fry up - fried egg, 1 rasher of back bacon, 1 Slice black pudding, 2 GF sausages and mushrooms.
L. Nipped into Chester to get a new charging cable and to get more water. Weather has been really good and I keep seeing reports of torrential rain? Not here. Back to hotel to rest - well try to. There was a wedding on here yesterday. I make allowances for people getting drunk and louder but drunk , louder and foul mouthed??
D. We retreated from the wedding melee for dinner. I went back to my campari and soda and just the one white wine spritzer. Had the squid and aioli to start followed by pork medallions in a creamy mushroom sauce with halloumi fries and green beans. Americano with cream.
Regrettably the wedding "party" had got progressively worse. Every time I dozed off I was awakened by groups of children from the wedding running wild in the corridor banging on doors and screeching. I'm not one to complain but this went onto after midnight when eventually one of the drunken parents made even more noise getting them to their rooms. Told Hubby, never mind they'll be gone tomorrow - they are but there's another two today! Thankfully the one closest to our room seems quite civilised although I did spot a guest in a pale blue suit which had large pineapples printed on it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs- you have me looking forward to getting back to make Skinny Bread again but at the same time not as I am enjoying doing as I please. Hubby did have a chicken sandwich out today and I picked at his salad- bits of cucumber, peppers and he spared me the occasional bit of chicken. Italian coffee place we were in did make a wonderful coffee though. @DJC3 - did they let you keep the creams as well? Only time that happened to me was when No 1 convinced me to order a see saw for the Guineas. It didn't turn up so they refunded and said if it did appear to keep it with their compliments. It did turn up about 2 months later and we did keep it. @Brunneria - let me know how you are air frying halloumi please? Mine has a paddle to stir so I assume the paddle will be removed? I'm still away so no rush.
Anyway yesterday Bed 5.3 FBG 5.4 - Libre is still not fully settled during the day (it's fine today but not yesterday).
B. Pot of coffee, jug of cream and slice of GF toast pretty much followed me to the table yesterday. Had my usual fry up - fried egg, 1 rasher of back bacon, 1 Slice black pudding, 2 GF sausages and mushrooms.
L. Nipped into Chester to get a new charging cable and to get more water. Weather has been really good and I keep seeing reports of torrential rain? Not here. Back to hotel to rest - well try to. There was a wedding on here yesterday. I make allowances for people getting drunk and louder but drunk , louder and foul mouthed??
D. We retreated from the wedding melee for dinner. I went back to my campari and soda and just the one white wine spritzer. Had the squid and aioli to start followed by pork medallions in a creamy mushroom sauce with halloumi fries and green beans. Americano with cream.
Regrettably the wedding "party" had got progressively worse. Every time I dozed off I was awakened by groups of children from the wedding running wild in the corridor banging on doors and screeching. I'm not one to complain but this went onto after midnight when eventually one of the drunken parents made even more noise getting them to their rooms. Told Hubby, never mind they'll be gone tomorrow - they are but there's another two today! Thankfully the one closest to our room seems quite civilised although I did spot a guest in a pale blue suit which had large pineapples printed on it.
Your description of the folk of Chester confirms my view that the frozen north is no place for a man of my delicate sensibilities. The blue suit with pineapples fits all my stereotypes. Skinny bread may well make sandwiches great again.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55

I’m taking a block of halloumi and slicing it 3 times on the longest plane. (Think cutting a cake into 3 layers)
Then i cut the layers into fries that are cross sectionally square, either along or across.
Then I’ve been tossing them in olive oil (because that is the only oil i have in the house, but I want to try melted lard).
No coating - not starting with that phaff!
Have been cooking them at 165degrees for 20mins.
This is both cooler and longer than the online recipes suggest, but I’m finding that mine get golden brown and crispy.
Like this, in proportion and colour
upload_2019-8-2_18-20-36.jpeg

The cooler they get on the plate, the crisper they get.
It is a fab crunch!

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A functional day, for Rory Burns and I scraped through. T and T (S B) for breakfast. Corned beef, cheese, vine tomato and mayo sandwich (S B) for lunch - had rolled the dice and had a coffee in an aspirational supplier of vitals. Helped Julie eat some cherries while she forced me to watch The Ashes - kindness personified me . More gambling this evening with salmon fillet atop my avocado salad moistened with h/m mayo. Seems to be LC but since there is no level of LC which will deliver better numbers my mission is to pacify Ireland try to knock off the nasty rough edges.
S B = Skinny Bread.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two earlier than usual meals today. NE1 was smoked salmon - Asda own brans which is only the second easily obtainable brand I’ve found with no sugar. Just salmon and salt and very tasty. Supplemented by the leftover Cumberland sausage from last night.

Linner was a delicious ribeye at a steakhouse near my beloved canal. With a bit of added butter. Steaks to die for at that place.

Popped into Waitrose on my walk home and found some lamb ribs. Thinking they’ll be good once I get the air fryer.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Bella Italia with a friend who let me choose lunch venue :) spicy gamberoni with spiralized veggies.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino with a salted caramel phd bar.
Dinner: sweet chilli chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55

I’m taking a block of halloumi and slicing it 3 times on the longest plane. (Think cutting a cake into 3 layers)
Then i cut the layers into fries that are cross sectionally square, either along or across.
Then I’ve been tossing them in olive oil (because that is the only oil i have in the house, but I want to try melted lard).
No coating - not starting with that phaff!
Have been cooking them at 165degrees for 20mins.
This is both cooler and longer than the online recipes suggest, but I’m finding that mine get golden brown and crispy.
Like this, in proportion and colour
View attachment 34629
The cooler they get on the plate, the crisper they get.
It is a fab crunch!

I predict hammoumi fries in my life,........ tomorrow. I will try copying your technique.

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19