1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. annabell1

annabell1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hello everyone it has been a while posting on here and have missed so many posts. so will try and read up when I can. but I hope everyone is doing well. just giving you an update of my T2D and Ulcerative colitis after so many months of feeling unwell with my UC the other day I stopped taking Junuvia tablets as I read that it can cause diarrhoea so I stopped it for three days the first day for dinner made tomato soup with lentils. woke up feeling okay and no diarrhoea good sign I was feeling hungry for a change and felt like eggs with bacon so scrambled two eggs and cooked some bacon with tomato for breakfast and it didn't make me unwell. I also been drinking coconut water for dehydration and added a few drops of oregano oil. the next day for dinner I had a grill rump steak with mustard and made a cabbage salad with carrots and small tomato with a lemon garlic dressing. I was able to eat it it but was very bloated an hour later. but next morning I didn't have the trots another good sign but very tired still and had a good sleep in breakfast I combined 3 eggs with some cream cheese and vanilla and made pancakes with some butter I only ate one as was very filling. throughout the day I could only stomach some fruit and cheese for the rest of the day. dinner was cheese and crackers as well. today I slept in again Insomnia I don't sleep till very late and then I end up sleeping in. the next day. but today decided to start back on januvia as my BSL is between 5.6 and 7 in the mornings. breakfast this morning was left over pancakes with some butter and a bit of maple syrup. dinner I made chicken kebabs made with breast chicken and a side of coleslaw. I have not experience any diarrhoea so I am not sure if stopping januvia had helped but I am back on it as of today and I am having no diarrhoea so to me this is a good sign and happy I am able to eat some foods so hopefully this will continue. I have no idea if stopping januvia for 3 days helped some how but hopefully things start to settle down and I can continue to go back to eating Low carb again.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Storm has cleared here - even some blue sky for a few minutes. Hope everyone else has survived it OK.

Unintended OMAD today - decided mid-morning that kippers bought yesterday wouldn’t be needed so stored in freezer and awaited dinner.

Said dinner was slow-cooked lamb shoulder with a topping made of fat left over from yesterday’s dinner mixed with garlic, rosemary and zest of lemon and lime. Pretty delicious. Pic below - may have gone back for an extra slice for seconds :D

5D9C8EB2-7EA1-4C86-BFE5-29C124FC9B16.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh my. Do you only have plates I instantly fall in love with?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Goonergal

Staff Member

Hands off! I got this (and another one the same) for next to nothing on the street market near where I live. Over time I’ve also found 2 different sizes of bowl with the same pattern in other places. The larger bowls are no longer used as they were what I used to serve my pasta in :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You tempt me to barter one of my plates for one of your bowls!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Goonergal

Staff Member

You can have one of the bowls, but it won’t be coming with pasta :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I prefer not to eat pasta, so happy with that! Want one of the plates in return? Left is traditional Dutch 'Boerenbont' instantly recognised by every Dutchie, middle is a cute breakfast plate, right is English and comes from my great-grandmother I believe. But I have 4 of them, plus a small soup terrine, and 3 should be enough to make sure I don't break them all :)

And on topic: Had an Atkins low carb wrap (4.5gr I think) with fried black pudding and bacon for lunch. Will be posting a pic of my evening meal tomorrow, as Ive been craving a 'kroket' for 4 days now and gave in, so todays meal is for another thread I fear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Quinn1066

Quinn1066 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday 11/02/2020 weird day
    Breakfast: 4 white coffee 100ml milk between, 50g roled oats, 63g fresh bluebeerries, 23g peanut butter, 125g fat free natural yoghurt

Snack: 11.00 AM white coffee

Lunch: 1.00 AM, 112g cucumber, 137g tomato, 65g tuna from can, 52g sprouted bread, 39g Camembert cheese, mustard

Dinner: 6.45AM, 30g Camembert white getting ingredients from store, they had samples.. 70g baby spinach, 2 white corn tortilla and "steak pie filling" made by my parents. It had gravox instant gravy powder, canned cherry tomatoes, peas, green string beans, carrot, rump steak chopped up, and usually fora bif batch a tablespoon on white flour/cornstarch to thicken. I had a small serve, I would say a very scant cup measurement, mixed with the spinach and dunked the tortillas. Not much meat throughout. I would judge I had about 100g of rump steak in the serving.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Goonergal

Staff Member

The breakfast one, please. It is cute! And also getting back on topic, just rounded off dinner with a Teaolat with cream. Perfect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

72E2BAFC-908B-45A0-933D-03CAA70D5795.jpeg F341CA96-47D0-4A50-A0FE-98BAAD68B43C.jpeg 41B13437-D326-4C9A-B840-93963D75D1CC.jpeg
    Bewdley where I live was taken by surprise last night with a storm Dennis flash flood on top of the predicted normal river rise so environment agency were having to work waist high in flood water to try and sort out our flood barriers - difficult times and a very fierce River Severn. Some properties got flooded for first time in 20 years as, in past, floods have been more predictable but this was sudden. Environment agency had predicted peak for Tuesday but got it wrong - mind you it all seems a bit unpredictable at the moment and I’m pleased I live up the valley a bit! I sometimes curse the climb up back home from the shops in Bewdley but not today!
    @SlimLizzy hope your ferry crossing goes well.
    @Antje77 good luck with your plate and bowl negotiations with @Goonergal but I can’t see her giving up her plates easily! Even without pasta!

Breakfast one sausage, bacon,egg and half a toasted chaffle
    Dinner a few LC seeded crackers with glass of Rioja then broccoli with venison casserole and pudding LC raspberry pudding with yoghurt. About to have some decaf coffee and lacto free milk.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Good evening everyone. 2 mistakes today I think. Tea with almond milk ( hardcore IF would have no milk - can't do that - at least yet) then 2 poached eggs on 1 slice Hovis low(er) carb bread. for breakfast. Breakfast was mistake No 1 - just makes me feel hungry and bread sub optimal - should have just cut losses and thrown it away. Rearranging bedrooms - moving beds, cupboards, boxes, exercise bikes etc as I made a mistake with where my exercise equipment went on moving day (haven't put weight machine together thank goodness). Some cheesies and a slice of cheese after that - follows the breakfast mistake. Mistake No 2 - watching Dr D Unwin talk on Can we beat T2 Diabetes? HOPE on the horizon - thoroughly despondent that I can't. Evening was first try of new oven. No 1 Pork crackling rack roasted in oven while broccoli and cauliflower were steamed in said oven. Nothing wrong with the food and I know I'm blessed to be able to eat such food. Just that the results of this never match the promises held out by Unwin and co. Its the hope that kills. innit?

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #35331 ianpspurs, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  12. shelley262

I need a photo of your 23 poached eggs all stacked upon one slice of toast!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hoist by my own petard! Noticed and corrected but Bewdley Turbo Gal beat me to it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    #35333 ianpspurs, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Breakfast: Three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, steak, tomatoes.
    Lunch: Banana prawns and salad.
    Dinner: Spagbol. portion size packet of reheated pasta.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Lunch: cheese cubes with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and Wildings crackling followed by LC chocolate brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.
    Mid afternoon raspberry phd bar with black coffee.
    Dinner (not at the ILs this week so no Jaffa cake :wideyed:, hubby getting over flu and didn’t want to spread his bugs :wacky:): roast chicken, one small roast potato, cauliflower and broccoli and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. shelley262

Hug for you missing out on your weekly Jaffa cake!

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you! But I’ll cope! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Evening all. No coffee this morning due to the ‘coffee tum’I ’ve been experiencing. I was wondering the same thing @ianpspurs - does tea with 0 carb almond milk count as fasting or not ( think I know the answer!)
    B/L: Omelette with fridge leftovers, bit of Camembert, small slice smoked ham and a few past their best mushrooms. Now allowed myself coffee as I was eating.
    D: Slow roast lamb shoulder- yours looked wonderful @Goonergal . Mine done with garlic and thyme for around 7 hrs in a low conventional oven. No need to carve, I just pulled the 3 bones out and shredded with a couple of forks. Fab. Had it with cauli cheese, green beans and a bit of roast celeriac. Red wine then a bit too much cheese.
    Ooh @Rachox No Jaffa cake! Hope your OH feels better soon.
    @shelley262 those floods look serious, Definitely the right time to be living at the top of a hill
    @Goonergal I also have some huge pasta dishes, not as nice as yours but probably similar dimensions. @Antje77 I love your plates but have nothing of suitable style to barter with. I like the traditional Dutch one best.
    @annabell1 I hope the diarrhoea is resolved now, whether because of your break in Januvia or not, it must be quite debilitating.
    @PenguinMum I have similar food issues with not knowing exactly who will be here for meals, and end up eating leftovers for a few days, or scrambling around trying to make a meal for 2 feed 6.
    @DCUKMod I’m enjoying your culinary adventures, I love ginger too.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That looks terrible. I feel so sorry for everybody living with or with the threat of flooding. It must be soul destroying.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Breakfast today at 1.45 was a mug of green gloopy soup.

Evening meal was at about 8 pm - Em was here earlier and wanted to play games and drink the last of my milk so that her Mum could deliver more laundry. Not usual on a Sunday, but she's going to the mainland on Tuesday and is trying to get ahead. Luckily her clients didn't object (this Island still observes the Sabbath to a great extent, after all). Then my brother and I put the world to rights for an hour over the phone.

So I used the chunks of ham from yesterday with chunks of chicken and some leeks in a kind of Spanish omelette. Still have about 1/4 of it left for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook