What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@Chook sorry about the injury, frightens you if you fall! Have you any Arnica cream to rub on the foot? If not a soak with just warm water and Epsom or any salt added might help. And rest. These are my inclinations so feel free to ignore but please accept a virtual hug.
Lunch today was small egg mayo with lettuce, 3 cherry toms and cucumber.
Supper will be chilli and cauli rice.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received word that there are now 2 cases of coronavirus in the Western Isles hospital. That solves the mystery. I hope that they aren't too bad and make a good recovery.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wounded soldier here!!!! (Or that's what my Mum used call anyone with a sticky plaster stuck on them). I don't know how but I managed to fall down the stairs yesterday afternoon - I vaguely remember my feet or a foot slipping outwards from in front of me. The plaster is on my little toe left foot but I seem to have done something a bit more serious to my right foot - just can't figure out what. I whacked my heel on the way down and now the foot hurts from the heel to the middle of the foot but only when I stand on it. So, to the dogs utter dismay, I am mostly hopping around. I think I was luck - it could have been so much worse.

Anyone else eating (or attempting to find food to eat) through boredom? All I can find that I feel like eating is cheese!

Breakfast: Usual 3 egg omelette with sugar free almond syrup (not my favourite carb free syrup)

Lunch: Actimel, cheese on Burgen toast

Dinner: Jamie Oliver's lentil tabbouleh with a rocket, olive and avocado salad
Hug for foot but agree with the boredom bit - opening fridge and peering aimlessly into cupboards. I’m also eating a ton of cheese a day.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Breakfast: TWAMS then cream as not made almond milk yet ;No Dockey: ; L: Applewood cheddar, Fage and raspberries, TWAM : Aft: Water; Meal: Egg and avocado salad with chia and flaxseeds; Sainsburys 85% Choc, Vit C powder drink. Local guy finally delivered boxes of vegetables, fruit, salad and due to delay free 30 eggs. No 1 son did some shopping in Sainsburys , lots of Mackerel amongst other things- payment was a bottle of Bourbon and a bottle of wine - I'm never going to drink them. Fed and watered Julie, dog sat her pups and protected the memorial rose for her dad they want to eat - not prepared to tell her that yet.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m using the main website tonight not my usual app so hope I’m doing this right. One thing I’ve discovered is that I can rate people’s posts with other things than just ‘like’ which is fun ( app only allows Like) Today I’ve had black coffee then lunch of Hemsley flaxseed bun with cream cheese, smoked salmon and a sliced h/b egg. Lazy mousse to follow.
Dinner was DD Chicken Caprese with roast broccoli and a glass of red.
I did have a tiny bit of the leftover Sausage crusted quiche at one point too -cold, it tasted just like a Scotch egg. Mr C very happy with it.
Made a miserable discovery this afternoon - 2 boxes of Deliciously Guilt Free brownies and blondies in the garage - all mouldy! they must have been taken out of the chest freezer in there when we were having a stock check a couple of weeks ago, then somehow got missed and not put back. Very frustrating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Just finished sorting my Morrison’s delivery. More successful than for @ianpspurs in that there were no ridiculous substitutes and they took the one I didn’t want back. Even delivered box of 15 eggs (1 was broken). However the missing items were all meat - 3 x lamb ribs, 1 x half lamb shoulder and 2 x tins corned beef :banghead:

@DJC3 that quiche does look good. Will give it a go with the suggested carni twist (all in CMT). Would make a good basis for work lunches.

@Chook sorry to hear about the fall, sounds nasty. Take care. And I’m also eating more, but due to work stress rather than boredom - the days are flying by. So much easier to open the fridge/cupboards which are steps away - can even be done mid meeting (!) - rather than having to head for the shops which would be the case in the office.

Today’s food was lunch of a deconstructed cheesy, eggy, corned beef thingy: the egg was cheese (thanks to a friend). Supplemented by a couple of the Asda sugarless pickled onions. So pleased to have found those.

Dinner was 2 brined chicken thighs followed by (sorry @DJC3) a warmed DGF double chocolate brownie with extra thick double cream.

B12BC974-DF09-47CD-A9CF-B9AF4C82D72B.jpeg

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toasted chaffle
Lunch Aldi nut and seed bar and coffee
Dinner pork chop, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms with glass of white wine followed by lc lemon pudding and yoghurt.
@Chook your fall sounds scary take care
@DJC3 oh no tragedy on your DGF goodies
@ianpspurs sorry Julie has been poorly and hope she recovers soon - difficult and worrying times.
@Goonergal you sound much better after your virus but work sounds demanding it’s hard when cupboards are nearby shame about missing meat from online delivery
@Annb interesting about spread of virus right up to your island - it really has spread everywhere take care and stay safe.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod sorry, i didnt explain clearly enough. The battery was failing to charge, even on mains. We have received notification from Amazon that they are prioritising essentials, whatever those are. Our postal service is now three days a week Wed-Fri.
However my Marvellous Multi-Talented MrSlim has somehow fixed the laptop so that it will now function again when plugged into mains.

Edited to add:
Laptop ran for five mins and died again. No resurrection possible.

I often run my laptop without the battery in it.

Do you have a spare power supply you could try? I'll spare you why, but we have a handful of laptop power supplies here, and one of then really should go out, but somehow, it always ends up back in the cupboard with the other spares.

When "that" power supply is being used, everything works fine, then the laptop just shuts down, and doesn't appear to be able to start.

When we went to Thailand this year, my laptop was just fine when I left home, but would not boot up at the other end. I was fortunate it could be repaired. It probably wouldn't have been here, but in Thailand, they repair everything, so it went to Bangkok to have the motherboard fixed.

So far, so good!

I hope something gets resolved for you.

Reactions: Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a supermarket delivery today one substitute upset me, they’d given me a traditional granola (64g of carbs per 100g :wideyed:) in place of my berry and almond paleo granola :( That was sent back!

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: raspberry phd bar and a black coffee.
Late Lunch: left over gammon steak followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Just finished sorting my Morrison’s delivery. More successful than for @ianpspurs in that there were no ridiculous substitutes and they took the one I didn’t want back. Even delivered box of 15 eggs (1 was broken). However the missing items were all meat - 3 x lamb ribs, 1 x half lamb shoulder and 2 x tins corned beef :banghead:

@DJC3 that quiche does look good. Will give it a go with the suggested carni twist (all in CMT). Would make a good basis for work lunches.

@Chook Dinner was 2 brined chicken thighs followed by (sorry @DJC3) a warmed DGF double chocolate brownie with extra thick double cream.

View attachment 39869
And I only said to you smugly a couple of weeks ago that I still had a couple of boxes in the freezer when you mentioned the milk choc brownies! They must have been mouldering in the garage all the while!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
31-03-2020
Breakfast CWC, 2 peanut butter biscuits, tea.
Lunch English salad. Ham, salami, small piece of seeded baguette. Tea
Chunk of blue cheese, while I was looking for dinner ideas.
Dinner. Fish and chips.( about 10 skinny ones)Vegetable cakes, frozen mixed vegetables.glass of wine. And another.
2 squares of dark chocolate with hazelnuts very late in the evening.
Am now using MrSlims laptop.
@Chook falls can be so frightening, hope the foot isn't too bad.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We too had/were poor little wounded soldiers - I've always assumed it was a wartime children's thing....

I have a few years on life's clock, but not quite that many. I'm hoping I get there though. :)

My parents always used to say that as they applied an Elastoplast with enough pressure to do more damage than the original injury.

I'll never forget my father taking an age to trim a plaster into a bow shape to cover a cut on my forehead (still have the scar), and me refusing to have it changed as the trauma of the first application mentally scarred me for life!

I loved my Dad with every fibre of my being, but you can probably tell, I bore a grudge over that act of kindness.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.7 FBG was also 5.7. Strangely, I am not snacking. My days are taken up by a regimented disinfecting program now I am fit enough to do it. With having the boys so often in normal times I never have sufficient time to do it properly but now I do. In between I've gone back to learning Italian and there is a limit to how much disinfecting a body can take even with rubber gloves on! @Annb - I noticed on the evening news that the Western Isles had a confirmed case(s). They didn't add anything else. @SlimLizzy - Any more progress on the laptop battery death? @ianpspurs - glad to read Julie is being fed and watered. May she return to full health soon. @Chook - do take care. I too was one of the "poor wee soldier" during my upbringing. Nowadays my medical box has Spiderman plasters in it! @DJC3 - disaster on the DGF boxes! Yesterday's food. Hubby is very compliant now over food choices thanks to the limitations.
B. TAG and 2 Dairylea triangles.
L. I got a new skinny bread loaf made early on this morning so, 2 slices with tomato and mayo.
D. 3 GF sausages, fried egg and a few veggie chips.

@annabell1 - I too went off to bed on Monday night with an aching jaw. Mine was gum related though. It's at the site of an extraction I had months ago. I spoke to my dentist and we really don't know why this area is prone to flare up. I'd already started the treatment - increased brushing with Corsodyl and Corsodyl mouthwash. That was the down yesterday. On a positive note, I entered a competition a while back during the Spam appreciation Week for fun. You had to submit a recipe using Spam which I did. I didn't win 1st prize (which was £1,000 of shopping vouchers) but I was one of 10 runners up in the European section and will receive a Limited edition sizzle pack plus Spam products when this is over. It certainly brightened my day and left me with Monty python and Spam, spam, spam, spam going through my head!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a positive note, I entered a competition a while back during the Spam appreciation Week for fun. You had to submit a recipe using Spam which I did. I didn't win 1st prize (which was £1,000 of shopping vouchers) but I was one of 10 runners up in the European section and will receive a Limited edition sizzle pack plus Spam products when this is over. It certainly brightened my day and left me with Monty python and Spam, spam, spam, spam going through my head!
How very cheering to get that Spam prize! I’m now singing the Monty Python song, and probably will carry on for days. I used to do a lot of competitions ( before they were all online) and won all sorts of things, from the sublime ( a wine tasting holiday to France c/o Waitrose magazine) to the ridiculous (a 6inch block of Tempur mattress) I used to really look forward to the post.
Now I think you should post your winning Spam recipe.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil just received his letter from the Scottish Government to tell him that he is one of the people considered to be at high risk during this covid19 outbreak. (Presumably his sarcoidosis.) It gives him advice on how to proceed and a list of the kind of conditions considered to be at risk. Diabetes is not one of them! And neither I nor DIL had such a letter. So - are we not at risk, after all? He actually went shopping this morning, before the post came, and came back with very few of the items on the list. He did manage to get half a dozen eggs - that was all the Co-op would allow him to buy. Tesco was shut - apparently due to a medical emergency of some sort in the shop. So loads of people were standing outside in a queue a long way up the road, waiting to get access. He didn't wait around.

On a brighter side - he did find a garage open to buy a new battery for the Scenic and he did make an arrangement with our local pharmacy to deliver regular supplies of the over-the-counter medicine he uses to control his Crohn's disease.

Breakfast - quite late, so probably brunch - was black pudding, streaky bacon, a tomato - all done in the oven and fried eggs on top.

Some time later, I will have AF chicken thighs - Neil did manage to get a box of 2 thighs today. He also found another, last on the shelf, battered box of tea bags for me.