What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Happy birthday @DJC3 :):)

Day one of Mr C's lockdown. He's off to B&M to buy his preferred compost which is on special offer there.

Food....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (Mr C had cheese on toast)

Lunch: Actimel and cheese (no doubt Mr C will have a sneaky Eccles cake from t he village bakery

Dinner: IF Asda deliver it, it will be a tofu burrito with melted cheese over and a green salad (Mr C will have the same but will have some Mexican rice with it.... or chips).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday @DJC3 :):)

Day one of Mr C's lockdown. He's off to B&M to buy his preferred compost which is on special offer there.

Food....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (Mr C had cheese on toast)

Lunch: Actimel and cheese (no doubt Mr C will have a sneaky Eccles cake from t he village bakery

Dinner: IF Asda deliver it, it will be a tofu burrito with melted cheese over and a green salad (Mr C will have the same but will have some Mexican rice with it.... or chips).
Thank you. I do wish you hadn’t mentioned Eccles cakes though. I used to love them.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily, all my potential snacks were used up by Em before the lockdown and I didn't get a chance to get more - Neil is so disapproving of sweets and snacks that I hadn't the heart to replenish stocks when he took me shopping. He's not really domineering, although he does make quite an impression on people who tend to accept what he says (just about, mentally, the strongest man I have ever come across) - I just allow him to advise me because he is usually right. So - apart from the remains of a bar of Dairy Milk chocolate stashed away in the larder, there is nothing here to snack on - however much I wander around looking in fridge/freezer/larder to see if there is. Same for carby products. I do still have some flour and some pasta, both of which I keep for Neil's odd dietary needs (pasta is getting difficult to find now so I might have to attempt making our own) but nothing I can just pick up and eat.

The lady who volunteered to get my shopping has gone with my list and money and will come back this afternoon. The list is extensive but I did tell her that many of the things on it are options so just to get what she can. We'll see what transpires.

Breakfast/brunch (at 12) was scrambled eggs with bacon, onion and mushrooms through it. Not as filling as I might have wished, but can't have anything else now until I've made my curry this evening.

I didn't have cauliflower couscous with my aubergine last night because I forgot that there was cauliflower in the filling. Shouldn't overdo the cauliflower as I've found to my cost in the past. So the curry will have the cauli couscous with it instead. If Ms Volunteer manages to get some chicken for me, I might just make it a chicken curry with b'nut squash.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily, all my potential snacks were used up by Em before the lockdown and I didn't get a chance to get more - Neil is so disapproving of sweets and snacks that I hadn't the heart to replenish stocks when he took me shopping. He's not really domineering, although he does make quite an impression on people who tend to accept what he says (just about, mentally, the strongest man I have ever come across) - I just allow him to advise me because he is usually right. So - apart from the remains of a bar of Dairy Milk chocolate stashed away in the larder, there is nothing here to snack on - however much I wander around looking in fridge/freezer/larder to see if there is. Same for carby products. I do still have some flour and some pasta, both of which I keep for Neil's odd dietary needs (pasta is getting difficult to find now so I might have to attempt making our own) but nothing I can just pick up and eat.

The lady who volunteered to get my shopping has gone with my list and money and will come back this afternoon. The list is extensive but I did tell her that many of the things on it are options so just to get what she can. We'll see what transpires.

Breakfast/brunch (at 12) was scrambled eggs with bacon, onion and mushrooms through it. Not as filling as I might have wished, but can't have anything else now until I've made my curry this evening.

I didn't have cauliflower couscous with my aubergine last night because I forgot that there was cauliflower in the filling. Shouldn't overdo the cauliflower as I've found to my cost in the past. So the curry will have the cauli couscous with it instead. If Ms Volunteer manages to get some chicken for me, I might just make it a chicken curry with b'nut squash.
I do hope she managed to find a decent selection of suitable food for you.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do hope she managed to find a decent selection of suitable food for you.

Yes, she did. Made a pretty good job of the list, in fact. She obviously took more trouble than I expected her to - no eggless pasta in the supermarkets so she found a small local shop which had some. She also went to the butcher's and managed to get most of the things on my potential list - missing only beef shin and a gammon roast. She did find 2 chicken breasts in the Co-op and some frozen duck breast AND some chicken livers! Wonderful! I will be adding some chicken to the curry for tonight's meal. The odds and ends that were unavailable are not very important - just things I was intending to use to make goodies for Em when we see her again. Plenty of time to get that organised.

We are usually very fussy shoppers, due to my low carbing and Neil's very odd diet and allergies, but this time we just accepted what Ms V brought back. I now have much more meat in the fridge than I expected. The only thing I was sad about not getting was butter. I'll have to use olive oil (usually kept for Neil). I also wanted a specific kind of cracker for Neil but she came back with Jacob's Krackawheat. Neil can't use them so I actually have some snacky things, if I give way.

My floor cleaning lady, obviously, can't come at present. The reason I have to have help is that my back and legs won't take the strain but the floors can't be just left. So today I cleaned the kitchen floor - brushed and then steam cleaned. It took me 3 hours! Usually the floors for the whole house only take 2 hours to do. May do the bathrooms tomorrow, if I can manage it. Luckily, we only have carpet in the hallway - the rest are hard floors and can be swept and steamed.

I am so grateful to Ms V for her help today. Her help, and offer to do the same thing next week, have eased the concern I had.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb Mrs V is a treasure! How lucky you are.

a lovely gent brought my prescription round a few days ago. Turns out our pharmacy are delivering ALL prescriptions now, though a marvellous network of volunteers. Bless them!

unfortunately, when he called, I was up to my elbows in buckets of water changing the aquarium water, and he rather took me aback - standing a LOT closer than 2m to the door.

I did thank him, but in retrospect I should have thanked him more - and made perfectly clear how generous I think he and his co-deliverers are being, risking infecting themselves, for my sake.

Really wish I could be out there doing my bit, but with the current peg leg, that’s a no go, even though ‘stringent social distancing’ would be quite possible delivering prescriptions, wouldn’t it?

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast:h/m granola, one slice burgen toast with butter
lunch: lo dough wrap with ham, salad, handful of cheesies. Six cherries h/m choc granola and cream.
dinner: chicken, goats cheese, cherry tomato and thyme bake. Protein bar
snacks: two pieces 90% Lindt, another slice burgen toast, more cheesies (starving today as went on a very long walk across fields)

Exciting delivery yesterday, lo dough, cheesies variety pack and a bar of soap!! First time ordered cheesies - very nice, given the cheddar ones to the husband whilst I'm eating the emmental and gouda ones.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1/2 pig update. Was indeed a very substantial pig. Pack included 2 trotters and half the liver. Some amazing joints and huge number of chops - I'm not a fan of chops but in these times just getting hold of food when you can't/shouldn't leave home is a bonus. Belly pork looks amazing and when we tried their's that was fantastic. Also came with a box of veg. Do I ask for half a lamb next? - less keen on lamb in general but their's is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb so glad Mrs V turned up trumps. What a relief for you and Neil.
@Brunneria I volunteered for prescription delivering here. We were told to either post through the letterbox or if too large, put on doorstep knock on the door and take 3 paces back to wait for the door to open.
Today’s food black coffee this morning plus one with cream to try to lift my mood ( didn’t work as I don’t seem to enjoy it with cream anymore - that alone cheered me a bit!)
Lunch was leftover cream of spinach soup.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pork-loin-roast-with-blue-cheese-sprouts another odd sounding recipe that turned out to be a winner.
A lovely surprise sent by a friend today- a Montezumas 100% black ‘Heather Hen’ Easter egg complete with peanut butter eggs. Yay! My intention to keep it til Easter lasted 4 hrs and poor Heather is now headless.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb great news about Mrs V. Very pleased you got a decent load of food.
@DJC3 laughing at your headless chicken
@Brunneria some good intentions vis a vis carni/chocolate also on hold here - eating one of the montezuma eggs as I type

Feeling a bit under the weather again today and stopped work around 1pm. Ate almond butter and cream in the morning then dinner was delicious slow cooked neck of lamb - haven’t had that in years. Added a few onions to the pot for good measure.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal take care and look after yourself
@Brunneria wish my eldest sons pharmacy had your volunteers we have long queues to face during very limited opening hours plus as they don’t answer their phone one of us has to keep going and queueing to find out that yet again no his asthma preventative inhaler isn’t there yet - now ordered over two weeks ago and running very low - isn’t yet in because of a national shortage! Resorted this pm after yet another stressful experience to start looking at private pharmacies- it shouldn’t be like this....... but if his severe asthma deteriorates will be real probs.
@Annb pleased to hear about your Mrs V - think we all need one.
@DJC3 headless chocolate chicken mmm! Sounds like my sort of birthday surprise a very thoughtful friend indeed.
@ianpspurs your half a pig sounds amazing wish we lived nearer! Hope Julie improving?
@Tori71 love cheesies a pack was delivered on mother’s day to me but all cheddar ones - my favourite as I like strong cheese
@Chook hope you keep mrC in lockdown sounds a challenge and that your Asda delivery worked out well.
Difficult care worn day today but we are all well and safe. Our neighbour also is very poorly at the moment. He has MS and an infection and they are considering moving him to hospital not a good place to be at the moment. Worrying would normally give my friend and neighbour his wife a big hug but really can’t do anything like that at moment. They have carers in every day must make you even more vulnerable.
Also poor cooper youngest sons dog - my avatar - isn’t well and had emergency vet visit. Got treatment and hoping he gets better soon.
Anyway back to food topic what I ate today:
Breakfast two boiled eggs and chaffle
Lunch lc cheese scone and hm lc choc granola bar
Dinner lasagne made with chaffles as substitute pasta followed by sf jelly and cream.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Prawn and salad low carb wraps.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar, water.
When will you be back to normal on toilet paper, wipes and other products?

Amazing as it might seem, we are still seeing almost double our normal demand for toilet paper. Just this week, that was over 20.5 million rolls. So despite much more stock coming in, we’re still not where we need to be. It is slowly improving, but please help everyone by only buying what you need.
A bit of trivia from Woolies email this morning, now that's a lot of Australian bums being wiped in theory. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal take care and look after yourself
@Brunneria wish my eldest sons pharmacy had your volunteers we have long queues to face during very limited opening hours plus as they don’t answer their phone one of us has to keep going and queueing to find out that yet again no his asthma preventative inhaler isn’t there yet - now ordered over two weeks ago and running very low - isn’t yet in because of a national shortage! Resorted this pm after yet another stressful experience to start looking at private pharmacies- it shouldn’t be like this....... but if his severe asthma deteriorates will be real probs.
@Annb pleased to hear about your Mrs V - think we all need one.
@DJC3 headless chocolate chicken mmm! Sounds like my sort of birthday surprise a very thoughtful friend indeed.
@ianpspurs your half a pig sounds amazing wish we lived nearer! Hope Julie improving?
@Tori71 love cheesies a pack was delivered on mother’s day to me but all cheddar ones - my favourite as I like strong cheese
@Chook hope you keep mrC in lockdown sounds a challenge and that your Asda delivery worked out well.
Difficult care worn day today but we are all well and safe. Our neighbour also is very poorly at the moment. He has MS and an infection and they are considering moving him to hospital not a good place to be at the moment. Worrying would normally give my friend and neighbour his wife a big hug but really can’t do anything like that at moment. They have carers in every day must make you even more vulnerable.
Also poor cooper youngest sons dog - my avatar - isn’t well and had emergency vet visit. Got treatment and hoping he gets better soon.
Anyway back to food topic what I ate today:
Breakfast two boiled eggs and chaffle
Lunch lc cheese scone and hm lc choc granola bar
Dinner lasagne made with chaffles as substitute pasta followed by sf jelly and cream.
Lots of hugs for all the stress but medals for still managing to keep food low carb and under control. ( extra hugs for Cooper)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
JFDI already- You know it makes sense Rodney:angelic:
haha yes i may have justified not buying one but i hesr how grest they aare and its on special and i think i should get on elol. but the funny thin
Annabelle - Not sure we have that one in UK, but I do know it gets decent reviews in a multi-national foodie group I belong to. Looking at her review from last year, there is one on here with a similar image, so worth a look?

https://twosleevers.com/best-air-fryer-reviews/

I've been astonished by how much we love and use the AF. My OH was very sceptical when it appeared, as if by magic ( :) ), but fairly quickly caught on.
thank you for the link will have a read cheers. I guess like most air fryers you need to have a spot for one regardless of which one is purchased.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Annabelle - Not sure we have that one in UK, but I do know it gets decent reviews in a multi-national foodie group I belong to. Looking at her review from last year, there is one on here with a similar image, so worth a look?

https://twosleevers.com/best-air-fryer-reviews/

I've been astonished by how much we love and use the AF. My OH was very sceptical when it appeared, as if by magic ( :) ), but fairly quickly caught on.
thanks for the link will have a read

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
JFDI already- You know it makes sense Rodney:angelic:
haha I know have answered my own question but its the temptation of getting one i think haha

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Friday Yesterday BSL 5.4 mmol/m

Breakfast fried eggs and bacon on sourdough toast butter and black coffee

Lunch a hot cross bun butter and black coffee

Dinner heated up left over curry chicken that I had in the freezer that I made in November with turmeric basmati rice and homemade tzatziki
Grapes
Piece of chocolate

Saturday
bsl 6.2. mmol/m high I say from chocolate last night

Breakfast had a hot cross bun with butter my last one and black coffee.

Lunch ice coffee frozen coffee blitz with cream

Snack babybel cheese

Dinner baked chicken Maryland and broccolini with turmeric basmati rice and homemade tzatziki.
Snack small bunch of red grapes

I cleaned out one of my kitchen cupboards today and went for a 30 minute walk after dinner around the block. Today is last day of daylight savings so clocks go back an hour although I would like to put my clock forward 6 months
Photos of Dinner and views from my walk this evening
20200404_174648.jpg
20200404_184442.jpg
20200404_184456.jpg