1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Would you like me to buy one and shamelessly use keep it until I see you next?

Is there an Aldi closer? I bet they'll have it soon. In our locale the items just seem a few weeks apart.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The remains of the Dairy Milk bar has disappeared from the cupboard. Now, how could that have happened? I shouldn't have reminded myself that it was there. I keep telling myself that I don't like chocolate and I used to mean it, but then, Dairy Milk is more like a kind of candy than chocolate. I actually do like real, dark chocolate, the more bitter the better, and that's why I keep denying that I do and never buy it. Now there really isn't anything to hunt around the cupboards for. The cupboard isn't exactly bare but there's nothing there just to grab and eat on impulse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That is very tempting! Aldi is about 200 metres closer LOL. I shall now give this some serious thought :D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh heck - No pressure on me then! I haven't seen this one in the emails, but they could be behind Lidl on this one.

I never flap too much if I miss something I want in Lidl, as Aldi might have it, and it'll be back around on another cycle,..................... usually!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and raspberries (as I didn’t have enough strawberries left) and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar
    Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
    Dinner: sausages with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola.

Edited to add the last few words as I clicked send too soon!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Goonergal

Staff Member

There’s a cliff hanger there......

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I know, I clicked post reply too soon, I have edited it now! :joyful:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Goonergal

Staff Member

Re: recent discussions about trips to the fridge/eating during lockdown. Just seen this on Facebook - and hope my edit is sufficient to hide the ‘naughty’ word.

7626F905-5C69-466D-9526-B55C36CDA0B1.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, spudlite.
    Lunch: Vegimite sandwich.
    Dinner: Barbequed chook, salad.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

My beer fridge has got more food in it than beer at the moment.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ravenously hungry today. Very strange.
    Large breakfast of egg and sausage (am sausaged out now!)
    L: large steak
    D: beef mince in red wine and herbs. Forgot the garlic! Won’t do that again. Lol.
    s: strangely hungry again at 9pm, so had an emergency vanilla protein shake, which worked very well.

mainly watering/feeding bits of garden and watching Netflix today.
    Back working tomorrow, which is good.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. annabell1

annabell1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do hope you feel better soon

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Yes! I’m going to have to make myself one of these notices.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

#Heather'sHadIt - Poor Heather!
    I saw last night before going to bed that the CMO had eventually resigned. There really wasn't another option as she was on our TVs more than once a day telling us "Stay at Home". Story still isn't going away though.
    Fear not, I shall not look the gift horse in the mouth (or should that be I shall?). Wonder if he'd go for an IP Mini as well? I'll be quite disappointed now if it doesn't come in next Monday. I have two Lidl's near me and not a lot of difference in distance so hopefully one of them will have it. It doesn't seem to be up and coming yet in Aldi yet although they do currently have a pizza oven to fit on your garden BBQ.
    I did feel pretty much normal yesterday - no funny turns. Today still not 100% and oddly I got a stuffy nose again about 1 hr ago which is passing over. Think it must be the sinuses again. I just don't get it how it switches between being totally clear then stuffy. That's a month now I've been fighting this off.

• Hug Hug x 4
  14. Annb

I see that medics are admitting that the devillish covid19 doesn't necessarily go away quite as quickly as people might hope (eg Boris not getting over it yet) and that folk would feel very weary for a while afterwards. It's only to be expected, of course, that's normal with many viral infections. Don't expect too much, too quickly @maglil55 and do try to be a bit easy on yourself. Neil and I are both much better from our bout of whatever it was but both still having to clear our throats frequently and my nose keeps running. Obviously a lot still to clear away before we are back to normal.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Annb

On subject now - food. The brisket and the beef ribs were lovely and tender after the 4 hours I gave them. And the gravy, especially from the brisket, was divine. I'll have one of the ribs for my evening meal - they are huge! The rest I'll put away along with the brisket in its gravy. Probably get some of the frozen courgettes out to go with that and maybe add some salad.

Breakfast was leftover sausage plus some chorizo chopped up and put into an omelette. The vegetables last night were actually more tasty than the sausage, but that's the way with the sausages I seem to be able to get these days. Now that I have a bit of meat in hand, I will have another go at making my own.

Managed to get quite a few items of bedding into vacuum bags yesterday. I had to wait until more bags came from Amazon - many of the ones I bought locally (cheap shop) didn't hold the vacuum so they will just have to be used as containers but still taking up space. The ones that work will go into trunks in the loft meantime. Also waiting for an order of archive boxes from Amazon - I have oodles of paperwork that needs to be kept, but I need the filing space, so that stuff will go into archive boxes (wrapped in plastic to keep the damp out) and in the loft. I just hope the 10 archive boxes I've ordered will be enough.

My phone packed up last night (I was sitting beside it, waiting for my weekly call from my brother). When it didn't ring I decided to check. No dialling tone! But the internet was still working, so it had to be the phone itself. After much deliberation (waiting for Neil to wake up) I figured out that it could just be the answerphone playing up. That meant I had to work out how to take it out of the system - not difficult for most, but for me, it was a major exercise. Disconnected the answerphone and voila! a dialling tone. By that time it was far too late to make a phone call. I had already sent an e-mail to explain the problem, so that was allright.

Neil came through this morning and fixed the problem in about a minute! I'm afraid I felt a rather withering glance when I explained what I'd had to do to get the phone to work. I didn't look to see. I'm sure, as time goes on, that Neil thinks I'm getting dumber - and I think he ay be right.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the sore throat, inability to inflate my lungs fully and dry cough I had a week or two ago might have been a very mild bout of coronavirus - it lasted about a week then faded away. As I'm not sure it is definitely best to assume that it wasn't.

So far today (right now its only 11.45) Mr C has walked the dogs (at 5am in the rain!), turned over a lot of the veg patch in a failed attempt to find the remains of last years Jerusalem Artichokes (which means he's scattered them and they'll come back up everywhere), divided and replanted the raspberries, had a work conference call, and has started on sorting out the garage. Oh, and, of course, he's been to the bakers so he could get his breakfast while it was still warm.

Today's menu

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (lemon and elderflower flavour) - Mr C had two warm eccles cakes

Lunch: Actimel and cheese

Dinner: low carb bubble and squeak (celeriac, swede, Brussels sprouts and leftover veg from yesterday's roast), pickles and Linda McCartney burgers - Mr C will have cold roast chicken and chutney with his B&S

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Chook

Just got a letter pushed through the letterbox from the Police saying we had breached coronavirus restrictions.... there was a few minutes of total panic until I phoned them and found out it was delivered here in error - should have been put through the letterbox of someone who lives in a house with a very similar address. Phew! Bit worried now that if we ever should need them that they would go to the wrong address.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Chook
    Bet that livened up your day!
    Has it (temporarily) cooled Mr C's habit of visiting DIY stores? :D

All v peaceful here, except that Mr B went shopping for his Ma first thing this morning, and came back with a Morrisons steak and kidney pie for his lunch. The smell was heavenly. I had to leave the room.

No dog walk today, on account of Mr B being on call (from home during the present crisis), and there being no time for him to walk them. So far we have had one bored widdle accident (best described as a flood) on the kitchen doormat, thank you Pup3), 3 plant labels brought in from the garden with heavy duty toothmarks, several clumps of garden moss brought in and crumbled on the kitchen floor, a cacophony of barking at the pigeon that DARED to land on the bird feeder, and a lot of brattish attention seeking. And the day is still young. I think we need a treadmill.

B: none
    L: halloumi fries in chilli oil
    D: will be pork chops

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 2
  19. Chook

Certainly did!

Hugs for the doggy antics and especially for the S&K pie. I've got the same issue with warm eccles cake.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Annb

We (Neil, DIL and myself) think that what we have had may be covid19, but we are aware that it may not. So we assume it was something else and go on as before.

Due to his long term bad health, Neil has been unable to be employed for the last 20+ years and has been on some sort of benefit for much of that time. Now we find that the benefit that is paid via a Post Office account can't be accessed because he is being shielded. There is, apparently, a form that he could submit to get a second card issued so that I can draw cash for him (only being "vulnerable" and not "shielded") but our local Post Office doesn't have them and they can only be had from the main Post Office in Stornoway. There's no way I can get there.

I did ask if there is some other arrangement in place for people in the same position as Neil, but there isn't. Not too bad for us, I have my pension and we can live off of that - as long as no big bills come in, but there must be others who are in a less fortunate position. I worry for them. For us, it just means that Neil will have to rein in his spending for a while (he just bought an ex-showroom, huge electric mower, so must be about cleaned out) but he'll just have to look at things online for a while. Part of this is because of his insistance on security (it's an Asperger thing) so he won't use online banking, which means he can't access his bank account proper and can't transfer his benefits into that account. Maybe No 2 son can help once he is back in circulation

Turns out that Neil only had to press a few buttons to reset the answerphone. Simple! Buttons on electronic equipment are my downfall. Can never remember how to use them. That's why I'm so hopeless with my mobile phone.

• Hug Hug x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook