What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not telling about what I ate today. It was lovely, but not good for me. One thing was good though. The veg soup I made a yesterday (from the veg casserole of the previous day) ended up being too thick. Couldn't thin it down because the flavour was spot on but the texture (included skins) was too thick and lumpy. So I mixed some with a couple of eggs, some coconut flour and some baking powder and baked it. Turned into a fairly good non-meat loaf. I still have quite a lot left, so I'll do it again sometime. For now, lots of pots to go in the freezer.

Got Neil to order some white Stilton for me from Ebay. Should arrive next week. Have been looking for it for ages, but finally found it yesterday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad I can’t get hold of that pecan butter @Goonergal. That jar would last me about 10mins.
@SlimLizzy I’m so sorry to hear of all the family sadness, and not at all surprised you ate cake.
@maglil55 your story of the homeless man turning his nose up at your lobster did make me laugh - I’d say that no! you are definitely not normal people! Hope you perk up again soon.
@Antje77 congrats on your spelling test and for mentioning the microwave kale crisps. I love them done in the oven but it’s such a waste to put it on just for a snack.

I didn’t post yesterday and can’t remember what I had now.
Today I had scrambled eggs on SLC toast for breakfast.
Lunch was: salad of Hb egg, 1/2 avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayo followed by 4 HC 100% buttons.
Dinner a sort of fajita made with LoDough, the meat off 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 avocado, sliced pepper, grated cheese, mayo and Sriracha 2 glasses red.
I’m fed up with cobbling together meals from leftovers in the fridge. I must get back to planning menus in advance.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to mention this - my daughter suggested I might like a charcuterie house rather than a gingerbread house. Yes!
IMG_4033.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day here too, yoga, flu jab, admin on the computer, gardening, rearranging furniture to fit in sons new exercise bike and cooking
Manged a brunch of chaffle cooked in a frying pan with a few olives in the side.

But then I started cooking new recipe of low carb millionaires shortbread, so lots of tasting and licking of spoons. Felt quite sick at one point.

Dinner for all of h/m chicken curry, rice for the boys nothing else for me but then tried us all on the millionaires omg they are rich!
A 7 inch square tin supposed to cut into 16 portions, but I've had to divide them again. Used a whole 100g bar of 85% for the topping and boy says all he could taste was the chocolate not the almond false caramel layer nor the biscuity bottom. I will freeze the rest and have the odd piece very occasionally .
I will play with parts of the recipe and maybe use elements in other dishes.
I've put the recipe in my Copymethat as not sure this link will work
https://t4s.site/view/https://t4s.site/view/
3g carbs per 1/16th. Be warned, if even I find them rich,they are very very rich

Also it meant using almond butter which I thought I didnt like, but this one was Lidls own Maribel brand and was delicious. This one I could eat straight from the spoon (oh no! Dangerous!). It was somehow lighter than the Meridian which was thick , hard and cloying

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day here too, yoga, flu jab, admin on the computer, gardening, rearranging furniture to fit in sons new exercise bike and cooking
Manged a brunch of chaffle cooked in a frying pan with a few olives in the side.

But then I started cooking new recipe of low carb millionaires shortbread, so lots of tasting and licking of spoons. Felt quite sick at one point.

Dinner for all of h/m chicken curry, rice for the boys nothing else for me but then tried us all on the millionaires omg they are rich!
A 7 inch square tin supposed to cut into 16 portions, but I've had to divide them again. Used a whole 100g bar of 85% for the topping and boy says all he could taste was the chocolate not the almond false caramel layer nor the biscuity bottom. I will freeze the rest and have the odd piece very occasionally .
I will play with parts of the recipe and maybe use elements in other dishes.
I've put the recipe in my Copymethat as not sure this link will work
https://t4s.site/view/https://t4s.site/view/
3g carbs per 1/16th. Be warned, if even I find them rich,they are very very rich

Also it meant using almond butter which I thought I didnt like, but this one was Lidls own Maribel brand and was delicious. This one I could eat straight from the spoon (oh no! Dangerous!). It was somehow lighter than the Meridian which was thick , hard and cloying

Thanks for the recipe, I like the sound of it even though I’m not a particular fan of millionaires shortbread. The nutty fudge middle sounds good. I like the Lidl almond butter too

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Late Lunch: 2 x marmite cheddar bites.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, veggies and a smidge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Despite the apparent evidence of a certain large man having ended the opera, I am still sad that my projected afternoon outdoors cooking was foiled by the propane tank suddenly being empty! I am so grateful for everyone's interest in our election-- please keep me posted on your own as I don't usually follow them!
Bfast avocado, fewer pecans, boiled egg, 1 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Lunch after having cheated with a chocolate concoction I baked for tomorrow; boiled egg, some cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes (this is quite an addiction going on to these chilly little bites!)
Supper probably sardines again, roasted red bell pepper, a taste of roasted onions and an attempt at a roasted poblano pepper slice. DIL and I have similarly sensitive tastes, and she eats it. Son is into the stuff that makes people sick on Youtube, but he doesn't force it on anyone! And flax crisps/dilute soy. Maybe macadamias.
@iampspurs real Jack Daniel's? I thought that was an American taste. Congratulations on no more plaster horrific mess!!!
@Antje77 spelling bee!!! I won at the city level in 6th grade but went down in the regional round on "consensus". Being given the definition was no help-- I didn't know the word, and was trying to see if it had anything to do with Latin for 100. I went with that, and was wrong. I have been scared of that word ever since! So congrats on your good score! Kale chips... I think I made them once and was sorely disappointed. Many years later I found a Japanese dried seaweed snack at Costco, and really enjoyed that.
Posting now with catching up still to do.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - A charcuterie house? Very tempting. Going back to my homeless person I did say to my Hubby only I could manage to find a fussy homeless person! It was beautiful lobster too. It was just way too big. MrsA2 (or was it Mrs T 123?) I'd never even noticed Irn Bru extra before. Question is, with zero calories & sugar, does it still taste like Irn Bru? @zauberflote, the fireworks. It's to remember Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder plot. He was involved in the conspiracy to blow up Parliament with everyone in it (including King James I , his wife & son) on 5 November 1605. It failed and it's been marked ever since by setting of fireworks & burning a "Guy". Trouble is the fireworks go on for days! Flaming things are still going off now. Son & DIL dog is a quivering wreck.
B. TAG
L. After running about for hours! A SLC sandwich with egg mayo again (having replenished my stock).
D. Rose veal liver, 4 rashers streaky bacon, fried tomato, fried egg and veggie chips. DGF lemon and blueberry with raspberries and a dash of cream.

I'm still down in the dumps. I think a lot of it is the ridiculous situation we're in which is certainly not following science. We have next to no infections and no deaths yet we're lumped into the same level as Glasgow/Lanarkshire who are accounting for the vast amount of infections/deaths. It just makes me very angry.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight will be a quick salad of tomato, cucumber, onion, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and a little balsamic vinegar to go with tuna melt muffin things.
Two will be enough, but I made three, as I froze a little of batter yesterday to test if you can freeze it, but if it doesn't work I still want two tuna melt things :)
The dogs and cats won't mind there being extra, so no waste!
Frozen, thawed and baked batter tasted fine but lacked the airy fluffiness of the ones made with batter from the fridge. Still useful if you want to eat them cold though, as cooling seems to do the same :)
Very happy cats and dogs!
@Antje77 congrats on your spelling test and for mentioning the microwave kale crisps. I love them done in the oven but it’s such a waste to put it on just for a snack.
In that case, by all means make them in the microwave, it worked really well!
@Antje77 spelling bee!!! I won at the city level in 6th grade but went down in the regional round on "consensus". Being given the definition was no help-- I didn't know the word, and was trying to see if it had anything to do with Latin for 100. I went with that, and was wrong
I think you should have gotten at least half a point for the reasoning behind it!
I am so grateful for everyone's interest in our election-- please keep me posted on your own as I don't usually follow them!
I'll be happy to tell you all about it next march when it is our turn, provided you'll start this shadow thread in General Chat you were talking about. Our election won't be near half as exciting as yours though!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Mrs T 123 Irn Bru! Used to love that.
@Antje77 not quite OMAD here, but a late dinner due to being out walking longer than expected: managed to catch the sun too!
@zauberflote I’ll be looking for the pecan butter next time I’m in the US. Seriously pining for New York.

Had a small breakfast before heading out into the sun - extra thick Jersey cream mixed with 20g Waitrose 1 90% chocolate. Very good way to start the day.
Dinner was lamb shoulder. Cooked in the gas oven and really delicious.

View attachment 45241
Xtra version is ok as it is sugar free and people say it does not taste that much different from the full sugar one - I used to be addicted to it a few years back obviously before the big D - anyhow drinks for the remainder of the evening are low carb morgans spiced rum and pepsi max - going down a treat as I will be working next weekend and will therefore not be able to.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - A charcuterie house? Very tempting. Going back to my homeless person I did say to my Hubby only I could manage to find a fussy homeless person! It was beautiful lobster too. It was just way too big. MrsA2 (or was it Mrs T 123?) I'd never even noticed Irn Bru extra before. Question is, with zero calories & sugar, does it still taste like Irn Bru? @zauberflote, the fireworks. It's to remember Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder plot. He was involved in the conspiracy to blow up Parliament with everyone in it (including King James I , his wife & son) on 5 November 1605. It failed and it's been marked ever since by setting of fireworks & burning a "Guy". Trouble is the fireworks go on for days! Flaming things are still going off now. Son & DIL dog is a quivering wreck.
B. TAG
L. After running about for hours! A SLC sandwich with egg mayo again (having replenished my stock).
D. Rose veal liver, 4 rashers streaky bacon, fried tomato, fried egg and veggie chips. DGF lemon and blueberry with raspberries and a dash of cream.

I'm still down in the dumps. I think a lot of it is the ridiculous situation we're in which is certainly not following science. We have next to no infections and no deaths yet we're lumped into the same level as Glasgow/Lanarkshire who are accounting for the vast amount of infections/deaths. It just makes me very angry.
You need a wee irn bru to cheer you up (if you like fizzy juice) - you should try the Xtra one - I prefer it to the diet one and I have to say from what I can remember it does taste very much like irn bru.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fully omad today.
12:00 seems to work for me as had a busy morning
L: 3 eggs scrambled with cheese and broccoli with a chicken thigh and a tomato on the side. 2 strawberries, 4 tablespoons cream, 1 of yoghurt and 1 of granola
Was quite an effort to eat it all, but was hungry after yesterday's smaller meal.
Still feeling full 7 hours later

Went to a physio session this afternoon for an annoying intermittent back problem, but he put me ona cross trainer to 'warm up' however it just produced breathlessness and chest discomfort. He seems to think I'm not aerobically fit, but I'm wondering if I still have chest infection (or soemthing else ) lurking. Haven't felt 100% for months now.
Be interested to see what tomorrow brings

Please get yourself checked out by a GP... ref chest.

My latest hubby was tired for weeks, had discomfort in neck one night in bed, couldn’t get comfy, got up to see if it eased, came back to bed and for some reason I asked him if he wanted an ambulance.. then bham—- heart attack. If he had t been with me, no way would he have been able to call ambulance.

3 years ago hubby went to walk dogs on snowy day, got to back gate and came back in with chest pain that hit him hard but then diminished less... but he didn’t look right but still talking and smiling but hiccuping sort of small belching frequently. Due to some errors at hospital (I asked him if he wanted ambulance and for 1st time ever he said yes- always been pretty healthy)... he died aged 51. He died from aortic dissection, this can be silent sometimes and no actual pain..

Current hubby 57. My neighbours asking me what I do to kill my hubbies off!!!.

Please get GP to actually see you...

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My latest hubby was tired for weeks, had discomfort in neck one night in bed, couldn’t get comfy, got up to see if it eased, came back to bed and for some reason I asked him if he wanted an ambulance.. then bham—- heart attack. If he had t been with me, no way would he have been able to call ambulance.

3 years ago hubby went to walk dogs on snowy day, got to back gate and came back in with chest pain that hit him hard but then diminished less... but he didn’t look right but still talking and smiling but hiccuping sort of small belching frequently. Due to some errors at hospital (I asked him if he wanted ambulance and for 1st time ever he said yes- always been pretty healthy)... he died aged 51. He died from aortic dissection, this can be silent sometimes and no actual pain..

Cue spoky music!

You had posted on a thread I was reading this afternoon, and I was wondering how you were doing. I do hope life is treating you kindly.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for your concern. That post was several weeks ago and I have been fine ever since

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod need pic of cranberry wodka in sunshine! Pecan butter is, apparently, either less expensive and mediocre, or hella expensive and probably really good, being from a famous pecan state. Thank goodness the recounters will have local pecan pie and pralines to keep them going! https://barefootprovisions.com/prod...RZB9oswhpiASJqcp4v1a2_spqtv7i0vRoC-NcQAvD_BwE
Sorry for long link!
@Annb you brilliant cook, you! I will have to try the coconut flour in my not-zweiback...Not sure I've ever had Stilton.
@DJC3 the charcuterie house is funny but probably delicious if to one's taste. Party food!
@MrsA2 I've just added you to my recipe circle-- may I join your recipe circle? Too much erythritol makes me feel sick too. Glad you found an almond butter you like!!
Ahhhh thank you @maglil55 ! I do know Guy Fawkes Day! Just forgot the date. We get repetitive fireworks on Memorial and Labor Days, high school graduations, and maybe 2 days for Fourth of July. Our cats are old and harder of hearing now but it used to be under the bed all evening. Scared son outgrew it too late for us to take in any family fireworks, sigh. I understand your anger at the lockdown mess. I suppose you can be thankful that nobody from Glasgow can day-trip to your area.
@Antje77 thanks for the vote of confidence in 11-yr-old me! But spelling bees are "sudden death"-- miss one and you're out for good. You are only allowed to say a very few things-- ask for a repeat and/or a definition, and the spelling part. VERY nerve-wracking! Kids spend all year studying the official lists. I did not crack the book. I was born a good speller, useful back then! And I certainly will start that thread.
Goodnight all, good morning soon--

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 the charcuterie house is amazing, I might have a go at a charcuterie shed at Christmas. My son posted me photos of mince pies he made and mulled wine which he was sharing with his house mates while watching The Grinch last night. He has always been Mr Christmas. CALL OUT is there a LC recipe for mulled wine that works? @maglil55 ? If we get a dry Christmas Eve we plan to sit out around the fire pit with son, GF and her parents and mugs of mulled wine would be great.
Have lots of jobs today. Just had my HiLo toast, on second mug of tea.
Lunch will be fried mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs, repeat of yesterday which was so yummy. Then making individual cottage pies for this evening with celeriac mash for mine. Might mix up Christmas cake for my brother and get it in the oven. The fruit has been soaking in brandy for days now.