What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just add inulin to water to mix and then put in my coffee or you could just drink in water.
I could recommend a good lemon drizzle cake see
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
It works - the only change is that as @maglil55 suggested I now separate the eggs beat the whites and fold in at the end makes it ev3n lighter I also use erythritol but add a few drops of stevia. My family also like this one. It works out at 1.9g of carb per slice

I can add a couple of recipes I have enjoyed in the baking department https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/easy-keto-pistachio-shortbread-cookies/ http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2014/09/ricotta-cake.html

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can add a couple of recipes I have enjoyed in the baking department
Thanks @Mongolia I will have a look at those. We have got meringues to work so a variety of Eaton mess is on for summer. We make our own ice cream and are working on perfecting trifle. I have just been left less than impressed by most baked goods,

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't posted on here for a while as I my menus can be very similar each day - however today I made a couple of new things;
Breakfast - scrambled eggs, 1 oatcake
Lunch - tuna and avocado salad - a new recipe I tried, plus almond soya yogurt
Dinner - aubergine and halloumi curry with spinach and cashew nuts - another recipe I'd never tried before and it was AMAZING, so tasty, - got the second portion in the fridge for tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, and welcome @ianpspurs
I’m sorry I can’t offer you any advice, I’m still finding my way myself. I was worried at the beginning about fibre too, but I don’t really think about it much now. I eat a lot of spinach and salad leaves and everything seems to move along pretty well.
I can understand that as someone who is almost self sufficient foodwise, you obviously want to enjoy all your lovely home grown food though. Sorry for my feeble contribution.

@shelley262 good job on the decorating front, we are starting too as we want to put our house up for sale this Spring. Such a lot to do!

@Mongolia thanks for the recipe links.

B: salami and cheddar cheese

L: lazy mackerel pate ( cream cheese and a smoked mackerel fillet mashed with a drop of lemon juice) with celery sticks. An Adonis Blondie bar

D: chicken leg, spinach, green beans and cauli rice. Creamy mushroom sauce. No pud but I did buy a bar of Montezuma Absolute black 100% cocoa choc today, so maybe just one square in a bit

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't posted on here for a while as I my menus can be very similar each day - however today I made a couple of new things;
Breakfast - scrambled eggs, 1 oatcake
Lunch - tuna and avocado salad - a new recipe I tried, plus almond soya yogurt
Dinner - aubergine and halloumi curry with spinach and cashew nuts - another recipe I'd never tried before and it was AMAZING, so tasty, - got the second portion in the fridge for tomorrow.

I love the sound of your curry, can you post the recipe, or a link?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Cafè pancake, bacon and sugar free maple syrup, followed Greek yoghurt and raspberries and blueberries.
Mid-afternoon: small cappuccino at Caffè Nero with a smuggled in Adonis bar!
Dinner: OK shoot me now! :joyful::hilarious: I had a doner kebab! :wideyed: (Just the meat and salad, I left the pitta bread) followed by low carb carrot cake and cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, and welcome @ianpspurs
I’m sorry I can’t offer you any advice, I’m still finding my way myself. I was worried at the beginning about fibre too, but I don’t really think about it much now. I eat a lot of spinach and salad leaves and everything seems to move along pretty well.
I can understand that as someone who is almost self sufficient foodwise, you obviously want to enjoy all your lovely home grown food though. Sorry for my feeble contribution.
Thanks @DJC3 The salad route doesn't work by itself hence the addition of chia seeds, flaxseeds and psyllium husk powder. I also have kale frequently, cooked in the oven to go crisp or as crisps sometimes with parmesan - kale has more fibre than spinach. I have found some websites on the topic of clean eating keto so I will peruse that avenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06 and ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 The salad route doesn't work by itself hence the addition of chia seeds, flaxseeds and psyllium husk powder. I also have kale frequently, cooked in the oven to go crisp or as crisps sometimes with parmesan - kale has more fibre than spinach. I have found some websites on the topic of clean eating keto so I will peruse that avenue.

I love kale crisps too. I only discovered this way to cook it recently and agree, a sprinkling of parmesan is a tasty addition.

Good luck with your clean eating keto search.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Missed posting for a couple of days.

Happy belated birthday, @jayney27. Sorry I missed it.
@DJC3 -- Sometimes having wine lowers my blood sugars, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't really figured it out, tbh -- but am enjoying wine very much anyway. Aren't we lucky that we don't have to cut out wine?
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs -- Admiring both of you so much -- a 48 hour fast -- don't think I could have done it.
@Goonergal. Yes, seem to be doing a lot of overtime this semester, unpaid and unappreciated unfortunately -- will be on sabbatical next semester though to do some research -- looking forward to it.
@shelley262 -- Spain sounds good. Much sunnier and warmer than up north, where we are. Vitamin D is important to diabetics. Enjoy your time there.

Everyone -- Thanks for the lemon drizzle cake recipe. Tried it today, but it turned out slightly sour. Is this how it is supposed to be -- or were the lemons on the large side maybe?

Forgot what I had on Thursday -- so skipping it.

Friday...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Some fried lamb and some green asparagus fried in butter and olive oil. The last of the low-carb coffee-caramel flan.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: (Out at our favorite tapas place) Two glasses of rioja, some Manchego cheese and two small lamb skewers. Also stole a zip of my hubby's pilsener. Later at home some 85% chocolate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. The remainder of the fried asparagus with tuna sashimi and a homemade Asian-inspired sauce (low-carb honey, lime, soy sauce, galangal, and avocado oil). The last of the rhubarb compote with erythritol-sweetened whipped cream.

Snack: Some 85% chocolate, half a DD keto roll with butter.

Dinner: Two slices of quiche (made today with DD keto roll dough, merguez, pumpkin, feta cheese and fried sage), half a DD keto roll with butter and low-carb honey, a slice of lemon drizzle cake with whipped cream.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@happy belated birthday, @jayney27. Sorry I missed it.
@DJC3 -- Sometimes having wine lowers my blood sugars, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't really figured it out, tbh -- but am enjoying wine very much anyway. Aren't we lucky that we don't have to cut out wine?
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs -- Admiring both of you so much -- a 48 hour fast -- don't think I could have done it.
@Goonergal. Yes, seem to be doing a lot of overtime this semester, unpaid and unappreciated unfortunately -- will be on sabbatical next semester though to do some research -- looking forward to it.
@shelley262 -- Spain sounds good. Much sunnier and warmer than up north, where we are. Vitamin D is important to diabetics. Enjoy your time there.

Everyone -- Thanks for the lemon drizzle cake recipe. Tried it today, but it turned out slightly sour. Is this how it is supposed to be -- or were the lemons on the large side maybe?

Friday...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Some fried lamb and some green asparagus fried in butter and olive oil. The last of the low-carb coffee-caramel flan.

Dinner: (Out at our favorite tapas place) Two glasses of rioja, some Manchego cheese and two small lamp skewers. Also stole a zip of my hubby's pilsener. Later at home some 85% chocolate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. The remainder of the fried asparagus with tuna sashimi with a homemade Asian-inspired sauce (low-carb honey, lime, soy sauce, galangal, and avocado oil). The last of the rhubarb compote with erythritol-sweetened whipped cream.

Dinner: Two slices of quiche (made today with DD keto roll dough, merguez, pumpkin, feta cheese and fried sage), half a DD keto roll with butter and low-carb honey, a slice of lemon drizzle cake with whipped cream.
Thank you @ziggy_w i had a lovely birthday x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@DJC3 -- Sometimes having wine lowers my blood sugars, sometimes it doesn't. Haven't really figured it out, tbh -- but am enjoying wine very much anyway. Aren't we lucky that we don't have to cut out wine?.

You are so right about the wine - not to have to feel guilty about cheese or wine is great. You’ve reminded me I bought a bottle today so am going to pour a glass now!

Re the lemon drizzle cake, I dont think I used all the lemon juice as my lemons were on the large size too. I just spooned a couple of tablespoons over each time I took it out of the oven. It didn’t have the sugary crunch that the original does but I didn’t really miss it.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the sound of your curry, can you post the recipe, or a link?
Sure - it was from Patrick Holford's Low GL Cookbook and it was very simple:
1 tsp coconut oil
1 crushed garlic bulb
200g halloumi - cut into 1cm cubes
1 aubergine - cut into 1cm cubes
1 heaped tsp medium curry powder
spinach leaves and cashew nuts were my own addition to bulk it out

Fry the garlic in the oil for 30 seconds. Sprinkle the curry powder onto the halloumi cubes and add to the pan then fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the aubergine and keep frying for another 8 minutes or so until the aubergine is cooked.

I then wilted some baby spinach leaves into the pan and added a few cashew nuts.

I found adding some extra coconut oil helped it not to stick and as my curry powder was mild, plus with me using the extra ingredients in the pan, I used 2-3 tsps of curry powder for good measure.

The whole thing only took 10-15 minutes to make - enjoy! Edited to add- this serves 2

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @DJC3. I am sure there were about 7 or 8 tablespoons of lemon juice. So, next time, I'll go easy on it.

Enjoy your wine and cheese. Sounds like a fabulous idea.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some amazing menus here so thanks for giving me things to explore. I guess I really want to get as close to pick it. wash it, chop it and eat with protein as possible. My pet hate is Masterchef, Berry etc adding kilos of sugar to fruit then claiming you can really taste the fruit.:banghead:

Reactions: flexi06 and ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @eggs11 I very often buy aubergines because they look gorgeous, but I hardly ever get round to doing anything with them. I can only ever think of moussaka and that’s a faff. This sounds like a super quick way to use them, thanks.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Friday...

Dinner: (Out at our favorite tapas place) Two glasses of rioja, some Manchego cheese and two small lamb skewers. Also stole a zip of my hubby's pilsener. Later at home some 85% chocolate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. The remainder of the fried asparagus with tuna sashimi and a homemade Asian-inspired sauce (low-carb honey, lime, soy sauce, galangal, and avocado oil). The last of the rhubarb compote with erythritol-sweetened whipped cream.

HI @ziggy_w re lemon cake I added a few drops of stevia to it and would imagine size of lemons could be a factor!

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w