What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@shelley262 hope your head is better by now, I know how easy it is to get carried away with good friends and a lot of wine. Fingers crossed for your lipid screen.
@Rachox my sympathies for the M25 stresses, Ive spent too many hours in that car park.

Today my menu has been-
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado with filter coffee and 2 teasp cream

L: peppered mackerel fillet with salad of rocket, watercress, spinach, radishes, avocado 3 cherry toms and walnuts (30g) olive oil and acv dressing. Coffee and cream.

Mid aft: olives, 3 chorizo slices and a jug of iced tea.

D:Rack of lamb, roast celeriac, buttery green beans. Couple of glasses of red and a cube of cheddar afterwards.
A bit later had some sf jelly and cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Coming home has definitely confused my body. Hungry at all the wrong times and weird BG readings.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - an early one as ravenous. I mean ‘I need to eat right now’ hungry which is very unusual for me these days. Meter hypo alarm went off showing a 3.3! Not sure that was correct, although the hunger made me more inclined to believe that than the 5.4 retest. Ate M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos followed by newly discovered M&S salmon parcels - a carb bargain at 1.3 per parcel and very tasty.

Snack - still hungry 1.5 hours later and BG in the 4s so ate a bag of pork crunch and some Coop 85% chocolate. Donated the remainder of the bar to 2 fellow high cocoa officionado colleagues.

Dinner - 3 rashers bacon and 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages followed by a large portion of extra thick double cream mixed with Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and 1 Ghirardelli 92% square. Finally sampled 4 small squares (roughly 13g) of one of the as yet untried US chocolate bars. Pretty good.

Hoping appetite returns to normal soon as this is insane.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Goonergal - clearly flying different time zones has altered your appetite settings and wow a 3.3 and no alcohol involved! Not surprised next was higher probably shock !
I’ve just started my water only fast so can take my bloods and send them off in the morning will be interesting to see the cholesterol results in a day or two. If it hasn’t gone down I won’t know what next but let’s see!
Breakfast fried egg and bacon
Lunch tin mackerel in olive oil and four seeded LC crispbreads a few nuts followed by LC lemon cake and fage yoghurt
Dinner chicken salad and slice of LC bread followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.
I’ve ordered lo dough to try it out again. Thank you @jayney27 for link to recipes - like the idea of soaking it in egg mix and then frying mmm eggy bread may be back!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, just a quick post re the mention of making Lo-Dough version of Maccy D's breakfast wrap, which I know many of us miss. I believe @maglil55 has described a version she has tried, here is a link to the Lo-Dough website and there recipe for one
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...innuqtZww4b2M_9fiuXzlaKt9pr1BKxnVF8UvcaoXFYkA
Nice for dinner but not sure I could eat a burrito for breakfast. Looks seriously filling.
I've had my lo dough Maccy D breakfast wrap for the 3 rd day running and showing no signs of getting fed up with it.
Prawn cocktail wrap will be on the menu for me soon I reckon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice for dinner but not sure I could eat a burrito for breakfast. Looks seriously filling.
I've had my lo dough Maccy D breakfast wrap for the 3 rd day running and showing no signs of getting fed up with it.
Prawn cocktail wrap will be on the menu for me soon I reckon.
I reckon lo dough could make bacon/egg/cheese McMuffins too (Or should that be McDoughfins?).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal good to see you back and probably unsurprising time changes and change of routine throws you out of kilter. Unsurprising but still unwelcome! @jayney27 thanks for the link and idea it looks good for me sans cauliflower rice and chilli. @shelley262 hope the cholesterol test goes well.
I wish I could freeze the weather, crops growing in the garden, festival of sport and dress code from last month or so. Suits me perfectly so not looking forward to the end of this weather and dreading autumn/winter/spring. Loved today's menu and routine which seems to be reflected in bg readings. Menu below:

8. 20 - 9.10- 2 pints tea with H/M almond milk 1 mug had 2 tsps inulin
9.20 2 Keto mug bread “muffin”; fried egg (2);; 30 mins slow paced ex bike afterwards
14.15 Prawns and avocado salad ( cucumber, spring onions, pea shoots, tomato, radish) ; 30 gms chia seeds; Vinaigrette ( O Ol, Acv, dijon and PHP); 30 mins steady ex bike then hot tub
16.35 Pepsi Max and high fibre chocky bar
18.55: Steak burgers; Halloumi burger slices; pea shoots and flowers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber; h/m garlic mayo; 30 mins steady ex bike; competitive me decided to go for a PB and got it; water and more water to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Goonergal - clearly flying different time zones has altered your appetite settings and wow a 3.3 and no alcohol involved! Not surprised next was higher probably shock !
I’ve just started my water only fast so can take my bloods and send them off in the morning will be interesting to see the cholesterol results in a day or two. If it hasn’t gone down I won’t know what next but let’s see!
Breakfast fried egg and bacon
Lunch tin mackerel in olive oil and four seeded LC crispbreads a few nuts followed by LC lemon cake and fage yoghurt
Dinner chicken salad and slice of LC bread followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.
I’ve ordered lo dough to try it out again. Thank you @jayney27 for link to recipes - like the idea of soaking it in egg mix and then frying mmm eggy bread may be back!
Good luck with the tests I hope you get the result you want and undoubtedly deserve.

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, quick update re higher numbers recently, I have had a slight infection that I wasn’t aware of until this morning, mystery solved and numbers in the 5’s again today, however eaten far too much today, wasn’t really sure what I fancied and ate more than I needed!
B coffee and I tried a nature valley protein bar for a change, it was nice, almond and coconut but they will be kept as emergency breakfast on the go not something for everyday
L chicken salad with mango chilli dressing
So far so good
When I got here me I fancied a bullet proof coffee and ate one of my choc olive oil cakes
D beef burger, bacon, mushrooms and 1 egg omelette, that’s where I should have called it a day but I had strawberries and raspberries that needed to be eaten, made them into a mousse with coconut cream rather than see them banished to the bin !!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tragic lo-dough disaster. :( entirely my fault.

I remembered from reading the l-d website that you ‘toast it in a pan, rather than a toaster.
So i did.
Only what i hadn’t remembered was that you are supposed to use some oil in the pan. I did it without, and the effect was like chewing polystyrene. Horrid!

Had two big tablespoons of chick leek ham pie filling, minus the leeks, for lunch, then 3 sausages and that dire ‘toast’ this evening. Managed to force it down, after adding enough butter to make it palatable.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Goonergal good to see you back and probably unsurprising time changes and change of routine throws you out of kilter. Unsurprising but still unwelcome!
I wish I could freeze the weather, crops growing in the garden, festival of sport and dress code from last month or so. Suits me perfectly so not looking forward to the end of this weather and dreading autumn/winter/spring.

Thanks both. Tonight’s readings have relaxed me a bit and helped convince me that this is my body asking for food, rather than me returning to bingeing and over eating. Pre my rather large dinner was 4.8. Two hours later and immediately before Pilates, 5.0. Immediately after Pilates 3.9, so body is obviously dealing with what is going in. And despite large quantities eaten both on Saturday and yesterday (including a lot of protein) FBG yesterday and today were good. Hopefully that will continue.

Hope the cholesterol test goes well @shelley262 and completely agree on weather, sport and dress code @ianpspurs - just love shorts and t-shirt weather and am lucky that can extend to work barring external meetings.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh I Haven’t seen these, are they with the tapas type of food?

Yes. I was browsing, looking for boiled eggs or similar to supplement rollitos as was hungry. I took a pic to log into my food tracker - see attached.

Attachments

• 971C9726-F656-4DE9-ABE3-8B372034262E.jpeg
    971C9726-F656-4DE9-ABE3-8B372034262E.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: ianpspurs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: bacon with cauliflower, broccoli and celery salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon in Nero’s: cappuccino and phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg, peas and five small sweet potato fries followed by lemon chia pudding and a couple of squares of Montezuma almond 100% chocolate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: bacon with cauliflower, broccoli and celery salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon in Nero’s: cappuccino and phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg, pease and five small sweet potato fries followed by lemon chia pudding and a couple of squares of Montezuma almond 100% chocolate.

Love that Montezuma choc with almonds.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado with coffee and cream.

L: at a new hipster type cafe with friends, a lot of sourdough open sandwiches on offer but I had 4 salads - aubergine, roast cauli, roast broccoli and a green bean one. All delicious but not much fat ( no mayo on any, maybe a bit of sesame oil ) quite a big plateful of veg really and bg rose into the 7s however dropped really quickly and I started to feel a bit rubbish - wobbly and shaky. Bg 4.8 so no need for such an overreaction. I can only imagine it was because there was no protein or fat and it must have been the speed bg dropped. I havent felt like that since I started on lc. Goodness knows how you felt with a 3.3 @Goonergal .

D: Middle daughter arrived back from her adventures in Africa so we got a takeaway curry: chicken tikka starter, saag paneer and alloo gobi ( just the cauli). Decaff coffee and cream and an Adonis blondie later.

@shelley262 how long before your results come back? I know you said you pay privately for the test but how do you take the blood sample? Do you go to a private clinic? Fingers crossed for good results.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.9 FBG 5.4. Early-ish rise tomorrow as boys are at holiday club but I still weaken at School time anyway!
B. Yes, it was my version of the Maccy D breakfast wrap again with lo dough.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. The mini olive oil cakes were looking at me every time I opened the fridge so I had one.
D. Repeat of last night's chicken dish. Chicken breast topped with mushroom, chunk of pineapple, mozzarella, avocado and a little chilli. 7 sweet potato chips, mini cob and a little bit lettuce with 4 cherry tomatoes.
Yet another bit chocolate olive oil cake and 4 strawberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tragic lo-dough disaster. :( entirely my fault.

I remembered from reading the l-d website that you ‘toast it in a pan, rather than a toaster.
So i did.
Only what i hadn’t remembered was that you are supposed to use some oil in the pan. I did it without, and the effect was like chewing polystyrene. Horrid!

Had two big tablespoons of chick leek ham pie filling, minus the leeks, for lunch, then 3 sausages and that dire ‘toast’ this evening. Managed to force it down, after adding enough butter to make it palatable.
Not that bad I hope? Does burning reduce calorific values?
images.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado with coffee and cream.

L: at a new hipster type cafe with friends, a lot of sourdough open sandwiches on offer but I had 4 salads - aubergine, roast cauli, roast broccoli and a green bean one. All delicious but not much fat ( no mayo on any, maybe a bit of sesame oil ) quite a big plateful of veg really and bg rose into the 7s however dropped really quickly and I started to feel a bit rubbish - wobbly and shaky. Bg 4.8 so no need for such an overreaction. I can only imagine it was because there was no protein or fat and it must have been the speed bg dropped. I havent felt like that since I started on lc. Goodness knows how you felt with a 3.3 @Goonergal .

D: Middle daughter arrived back from her adventures in Africa so we got a takeaway curry: chicken tikka starter, saag paneer and alloo gobi ( just the cauli). Decaff coffee and cream and an Adonis blondie later.

@shelley262 how long before your results come back? I know you said you pay privately for the test but how do you take the blood sample? Do you go to a private clinic? Fingers crossed for good results.
Hi @DJC3 pleased about your daughter being back bet that was a great celebration
I use a company called Thriva they supply all the stuff you need by post to take the sample etc you seal it up and send it off. Last time they got back with online results the following afternoon and it included a private gps report! I got a code which offered it for half price the cholesterol and liver test should have been 24 quid but got for 12 quid in total. Also did a feed back survey and they credited me with a fiver so this second test will cost me 19. I found it easy to do. You take out a subscription but can pause or cancel at any time. You can also personalise your order so add tests like hbaca1, CReactive protein, vitamin d etc etc to it if want onto the basic test subscription but I’ve stuck to the essential tests for now. I do have codes if ever anyone wants one . I wish they did ldl cholesterol particle size test but they don’t at moment. Hope this helps

Reactions: DJC3