What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to start back at Pilates class - i do some at home but it’s not the same! I had to give up when had ear infection and dizziness and then since got better life and work has got in the way on Pilates class day. Mum down for two weeks from weekend so planning now to restart after we get her back home. It may be cooler by then too - the hall it’s held in gets very hot in summer no air con and has large windows!

It’s definitely relaxing and now I’m more used to it, my bloods tend to come down after it rather than rising. Have another session on Wednesday and going for a 1-2-1 with the instructor in early August. The hall we use is also boiling, but she’s found some large fans, which help.

Hope all goes well with your mum.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado. Coffee with cream.
L: Quiche made with LoDough crust - I much preferred this to the LoDough wrap. Fresh salmon, feta cheese and green bean filling ( didnt have asparagus)
Blackberries and clotted cream for pud. The blackberries have forced their way into our garden through next door’s fence. Not complaining they were gorgeous.
Mid afternoon met Mr C for a drink - 2 diet Cokes. I would have killed for a cold lager. @GrumpyOldPhart I considered a Becks Blue but when I checked the nutrition, it only has 39cals but 9g carbs! Too much for me so I stuck to Diet Coke

D: Just got back from yoga, not really hungry but had some olives and feta just to accompany my Metformin.
Must try the quiche idea used to love it. Well done not giving in to the cold beer!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I adapted a recipe I found on line a little and though I say so myself it was very acceptable (I’ll post the recipe if anyone wants to try it, when I’ve typed it into a memo suitable to post here, it’s just on a scrap of paper just now!) Hubby who eats loads of ‘real’ granola is going to test it later!

Yes please!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Eaten way too much today. Think I am going to have to start banishing some things from my fridge once stocks have been depleted (which won’t take long at current rates of consumption).

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 boiled eggs (well actually a Coop spinach and egg snack pot, but the 3 measly pieces of spinach don’t really count), Coop chorizo and Gouda rollitos (very nice and in a handy pack of 4). Ahem. Followed by half a portion of lemon zucchini cake and a quarter portion of flourless chocolate lime cake and a very large portion of extra thick double cream. Then raided the office snack drawer, which I have stocked with high percentage cocoa chocolate.

Dinner - 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages and 2 rashers bacon followed by 25g Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate and 30g macadamias.

Just back from Pilates which has brought my BG down to its lowest reading of the day.

@jayney27 how has your bread turned out?
Hi the bread is actually quite nice, as with most low carb things it is a little different to the real thing but with a thick spread of butter I enjoyed it, I think toasted it will be very nice. It doesn’t make very big slices but it’s very quick and easy to make.
I am about to taste my zucchini lemon cake

Attachments

• 90BF4DC0-6529-44EA-AA89-6FBD2E368797.jpeg
    90BF4DC0-6529-44EA-AA89-6FBD2E368797.jpeg
    832.6 KB · Views: 364
  • D692DF9F-59F4-4FE2-8418-B4C296F99CE0.jpeg
    D692DF9F-59F4-4FE2-8418-B4C296F99CE0.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 364

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid afternoon met Mr C for a drink - 2 diet Cokes. I would have killed for a cold lager. @GrumpyOldPhart I considered a Becks Blue but when I checked the nutrition, it only has 39cals but 9g carbs! Too much for me so I stuck to Diet Coke

D: Just got back from yoga, not really hungry but had some olives and feta just to accompany my Metformin.
@DJC3 Coincidentally we picked plenty of very bid big blackberries today which overhang from the orchard next door. I have about 24 unopened cans of Bud Light 6.6 gms carb and some Cisk Excel lager at 4 gms carb. Don't ever drink any but I do have some. I have actually drank some cisk.

Last edited:

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taught that if you want to eat you must work and I feel a bit of a lightweight exercise wise but I use to live and breathe team sport. It hit me hard when I knew I couldn't perform at the level I wanted to so I gave up. Big part of how it all went wrong for me so this is a feeble attempt to replace a huge part of my life.
ME is a bit of a problem with me and walking sometimes 5 or 10 yards leaves me feeling as if I'd just completed a 20 mile forced march or cycled 25 miles in about an hour (as I used to)!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Coincidentally we picked plenty of very bid blackberries today which overhang from the orchard net door. I have about 24 unopened cans of Bud Light 6.6 gms carb and some Cisk Excel lager at 4 gms carb. Don't ever rink any but I o have some. I have actually rank some cisk.

Have you been at the stronger stuff Ian?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes please!

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE GRANOLA

Ingredients:

25g coconut oil melted

1 tbsp cocoa unsweetened

1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more, to your taste

1/2 tsp cinnamon

200 g desiccated/shredded coconut (unsweetened)

50 g pumpkin seeds

50 g sunflower seeds

100 g mixed nuts chopped (I carb counted this using Tesco mixed nuts)

50g milled flax seed

50 g flaxseeds/linseed

10 Hotel Chocolate buttons corsely chopped

Method:

1 Melt the coconut oil in a glass jug then dissolve the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder in it.

2 In a large baking dish, mix all the seeds, nuts and coconut together.

3 Poor the chocolate coconut oil over the coconut, seed, nut mix and stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.

4 Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 28 minutes until golden brown and crisp. The mixture will burn VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.

Carbs per 60g portion 4g approx.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ingredients:

25g coconut oil melted

1 tbsp cocoa unsweetened

1/2 tsp cinnamon

50 g pumpkin seeds

50 g sunflower seeds

50g milled flax seed

50 g flaxseeds/linseed

Method:

1 Melt the coconut oil in a glass jug then dissolve the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder in it.

3 Poor the chocolate coconut oil over the coconut, seed, nut mix and stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.

4 Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 28 minutes until golden brown and crisp. The mixture will burn VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.

Looks amazing thank you

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal @DJC3 well what can I say, yummy zucchini lemon cake, a great success, it did take a little to cook, I also made a round cake instead of putting it in the loaf tin. It’s very light, moist and tasty, I love the slightly crunchy top and edge with the soft melting texture in the middle.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal @DJC3 well what can I say, yummy zucchini lemon cake, a great success, it did take a little to cook, I also made a round cake instead of putting it in the loaf tin. It’s very light, moist and tasty, I love the slightly crunchy top and edge with the soft melting texture in the middle.
You’re making us all hungry and jealous now @jayney27 ! Maybe I need to go to bed before I rush and start baking!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ingredients:

25g coconut oil melted

1 tbsp cocoa unsweetened

1/2 tsp cinnamon

50 g pumpkin seeds

50 g sunflower seeds

50g milled flax seed

50 g flaxseeds/linseed

Method:

Thank you for sharing this sounds lovely as a change for breakfast

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ME is a bit of a problem with me and walking sometimes 5 or 10 yards leaves me feeling as if I'd just completed a 20 mile forced march or cycled 25 miles in about an hour (as I used to)!
@GrumpyOldPhart The actual amount or speed is irrelevant you have pushed yourself to the limit and I'm guessing I left some out there so in your situation you are definitely the winner.