What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.1

Long day yesterday. Drop dead tired when got in, but too tired to sleep. I went for my shingles injection late afternoon.

I am watching as the nurse is banging the container on the counter to mix the powder and the solution together. My anxiety levels are rising. I don't like injections. If you whip the needle out and stab my arm I am fine. But to watch the nurse spend 5 minutes mixing the solution before she puts it together with the needle is not good. I have just got to make sure it is mixed properly she said.

So my brain is asking me what happens when she doesn't mix it properly?

Just a little scratch she says and you will feel a little discomfort.

I didn't feel the scratch at all, but instantly my upper arm is feeling like it is swelling to bursting point. My brain is saying to me that is what happens when she doesn't mix it properly.

I tell her my arm feels like it is going to explode. It's only a little discomfort she says. But it really really hurts I say.

Now you go in the waiting room and if you feel any symptoms in the next 20 minutes then come back and tell me she says. But I'm telling you a symptom now I say, my arm feels like a balloon that is being blown up and is going to burst, and my arm is hanging down and I can't move it.

That is just the little discomfort she replied, go and sit in the waiting room and come back if you feel any symptoms.

In the waiting room I am wishing I had refused this shingles injection. My brain is in full flow giving me negative comments. If I was a child I would have burst into tears. But I am a cantankerous old biddy, so I sit stoically.

Finally the pressure in my upper arm eases off and I can move my arm again. It is still painful. At least I should be able to drive the car home. But I go to the fish and chip shop which is almost next door first, and have fish and a savoury cake (s*d the blood glucose levels).

This morning my arm is still painful especially when I move or lift it. But I can use it and grip, gripping or holding doesn't cause pain. I have a day of appointments again. I would love to stay in bed today under my electric blanket, but I can't :(

Roll on Friday where I can stay in bed, and we are promised sun!

Take care

>^••^<

PS

I am going to try the sock theory which is being expounded above. I shall shut my eyes, plunge hand in the sock drawer and pull out two at random. I just hope I pick out a left sock and a right sock....

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad news about Clive James however just been laughing my head off...not sure if anyone remembers Margarita Pracatan who used to sing on his shows...just saw a clip of her on an old show & she did an impromptu performance on BBC Breakfast...still as funny & entertaining (terrible singer) as ever during her rendition of Adele's Hello...classic TV.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A pleasant surprise of 6.5 this morning. Nowhere near Five-0 land but I can sing along with Mick Jagger, "Coming Down Again ... "
h3323.gif
h3314.gif

@ianpspurs thank you for the Happy Thanksgiving wishes. So far so good, the sun is shining, bringing a balmy 7 degrees, and last night a friend offered to drive me to either small town to check out the senior apartment communities after the first of the year!

t89105.gif

Hugs to you @gennepher. You are braver than I am, I don't get vaccinations, for that very reason. Scary! I hope your arm is back to normal by now.
t4602.gif

Off now to read about sock drawers and other adventures. It's interesting to me that y'all have Black Friday too -- I remember back when it was called the After-Thanksgiving Sales and actually started on Friday, not at 2 pm on Thursday, or -- as it now does online -- on Wednesday or even Monday. Alas, the business world has "succeeded"* in making Thanksgiving -- the one American holiday that was not about shopping and spending -- ALL about shopping and spending.
*I would say "failed" rather than "succeeded," but in this crazy era I guess it is good that local brick-and-mortar stores are still open and that people are getting paid to sell things, which keeps local economies moving, and therefore national and international ones as well. So, win-win.

From the traditional Thanksgiving Day Psalm 100 -- "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands"!
s0520.gif
h07014.gif
h3303.gif

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and I think that the sock theory has legs. It probably holds up just as much as any other theory. You will need to test it out using other socks but chosen at random by a third party who has no interest in socks. I am a firm believer that umbrella sales are the cause of all this rain that we are currently being deluged in.
@dunelm and @Muddy Cyclist I absolutely agree that the sock theory will hold up just as much as any other theory. @dunelm I will follow your testing protocol to the letter and report back.

I do have an alternative theory about the rain - my feeling is that it is caused by people leaving their umbrellas at home as it always rains when I leave my umbrella at home.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the Happy Thanksgiving wishes! :)

Free to a Good Home:

1 Ark

Like-new condition (used only once). Comes with ...
2 aardvarks, 2 anteaters, 2 armadillos, 2 baboons, 2 barn cats, 2 canaries, 2 crocodiles, 2 dodos, 2 quaggas ...
other assorted animals, 2 each, included
Sorry no unicorns, gryphons, heffalumps, centaurs, or phoenixes ...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I enjoy Thomas Hardy's poetry and the imagery in his novels. For years I have performed in Mummers Plays which Hardy depicts in The Return of the Native. We take them around village pubs and of course in good tradition we are disguised but I can tell you, I play the part of Slasher the Turkish Knight.

I could never get into his novels* but I do love his poems.

*Well, except for The Return of the Native on tape read by Alan Rickman ;) .

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC Happy thanksgiving! Trust you will reflect on the wonders of everything, enjoy.

@gennepher Wow, you battle on through so many unpleasantries, I take my hat off to you.

Wardrobes finished, :). It wasn't easy as they were not off the shelf flat pack Ikea or B&Q which are designed for Joe Public but built by a company in Coalville who build for the trade and professional fitters so they came with absolutely no instructions and a cardboard box full of bits, I have some bits left over, should I be worried?

Hang on to your fillings, I have not had a filling for years and the one I lost last week just cost me £62 to replace.

Rain, rain,rain here so now I'm in the lets build something mood I am starting on my Ark if you care to join me @True Blue or anyone else fed up with the precipitation, bring your brollies though as it may then ease up whilst we build.

Edit..... Ark building cancelled @SaskiaKC has one up for sale. Knock down price as there are no Unicorns Or Dragons.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the Happy Thanksgiving wishes! :)

Free to a Good Home:

1 Ark

Like-new condition (used only once). Comes with ...
2 aardvarks, 2 anteaters, 2 armadillos, 2 baboons, 2 barn cats, 2 canaries, 2 crocodiles, 2 dodos, 2 quaggas ...
other assorted animals, 2 each, included
Sorry no unicorns, gryphons, heffalumps, centaurs, or phoenixes ...
Hey, what about 7 each of every clean animal - a chap has to eat when afloat.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered only this week that our two year old microwave is also a convection oven, grill and so much more. The kitchen oven has not been used all week.
I discovered our Kia sportage has automatic lights that dip with on coming traffic@ only had it 2 years. You have no idea how beneficial it is! I'm just night driving for the hell of it now.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why oh why oh why oh why do I have to clean my specs first thing every morning even though they are perfectly clean when I take them off ? It’s the spiders I tell you, or Mrs Miggins playing out a long run jape.

The wonder wheel of rejoicing over arrival of a Crock Pot Express gave an idolatry 4.9 this am and from the look of the graph, below, had been saving it up all night.

@jjraak - sorry to read about your emergency and hope that updates are favourable .

@gennepher - all the best for the cochleae appointment

@JohnEGreen - koffy - ouch! Funny - but ouch, I feel your pain. Try the half plunge: plunge slightly then raise - the grounds will then fall gently to the bottom, giving flavour - after one minute - plunge. Just a thought.

@Debandez - all the best at Blackpool

Have a great day if you can, contemplate the effects of a 7 hour slow cooked coq au van if you can’t.

View attachment 36889
Wowzers that graph is good, what did you eat?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, what about 7 each of every clean animal - a chap has to eat when afloat.

Right you are.
Allow me to offer you the Captain's Table menu! ;) (Had to correct "off" to "offer" -- sorry -- although if you were to eat ALL that on the menu ... !!!! )

1 billy
4 calves
3 ewes
3 heifers
4 kids
3 lambs
2 nannies
1 ram
no bull

@Krystyna23040 and @OldButBold please check my math! :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debandez just a quick response but can empathise with this it’s happened to me during and after stress. I can go up high and quickly as adrenaline kicks in but then if eat little as you did and stress stops and relax and especially if mid afternoon before dinner/tea it can drop really low I have gone down to low 3s at times mid pm once stress ended and not much food.
Other issue sometimes it can be odd at beginning or end of the sensors life - if you suspect it may not be right you could check with a finger prick and see if it’s similar.
Sounds like you did a wonderful job at the Tower well done you. I’d expect it to balance again tomorrow as you have a more normal day and with your usual eating patterns. X
Noted thanks so much, really helpful another piece in the jigsaw