What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a damp start to the day here in The Midlands. Canal walks and woodland trails yesterday afternoon with family. A bit too hot for my liking on the 4 mile meander but never mind, the grandchildren made great use of low lying yet sturdy branches to swing from and a halfway found children’s play area became hit of the day thanks to dad’s good planning. The twins are fearless and headed straight to the monkey bars. Little Miss Pamplemouse is far more cautious. My swollen ankles, thanks to the heat of the afternoon, were easily sorted out by taking a cool and then cold shower and having a well deserved 30 min snooze before tucking into one of our daughter in law’s smashing Thai feasts followed by evening entertainment supplied by the ninky nonks (7 year old identical looking twin girls) as they went laughing and giggling through family photos, testing us all in identifying each of them from birth until now. Out for mid morning breakfast today and then see what the weather entices us to do. Art bit, a couple of bare trees seen yesterday. I thought that they might look happier plonked onto a mound. Hope your day is a good one. I have now successfully circumnavigated yet another trip round the sun on this rollercoaster. Best make koffy and enjoy the next one.

Attachments

• IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 28

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a damp start to the day here in The Midlands. Canal walks and woodland trails yesterday afternoon with family. A bit too hot for my liking on the 4 mile meander but never mind, the grandchildren made great use of low lying yet sturdy branches to swing from and a halfway found children’s play area became hit of the day thanks to dad’s good planning. The twins are fearless and headed straight to the monkey bars. Little Miss Pamplemouse is far more cautious. My swollen ankles, thanks to the heat of the afternoon, were easily sorted out by taking a cool and then cold shower and having a well deserved 30 min snooze before tucking into one of our daughter in law’s smashing Thai feasts followed by evening entertainment supplied by the ninky nonks (7 year old identical looking twin girls) as they went laughing and giggling through family photos, testing us all in identifying each of them from birth until now. Out for mid morning breakfast today and then see what the weather entices us to do. Art bit, a couple of bare trees seen yesterday. I thought that they might look happier plonked onto a mound. Hope your day is a good one. I have now successfully circumnavigated yet another trip round the sun on this rollercoaster. Best make koffy and enjoy the next one.
Sounds a glorious way to spend the day @dunelm .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Thinks it's one you'll remember.

Heres to the next being even better .

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.05am FBG 5.4
To continue with updates.
Sunday After the picnic:
Arrived home. No rain just the occaisional rumble of thunder in the distance. Am always amazed how variable weather can be within a short distance. Fed Kiki, made tea and sat outside enjoying the evening sunshine. Kiki sat with us on the warm concrete steps in front of the house, tea drunk we both wandered off while Kiki stayed on the steps.
Suddenly there was an enormous, really loud clap of thunder. BANG! sounded as if it was overhead and within seconds large hailstones were falling. Kiki was nowhere to be seen, I guessed she was hiding in the hedge, three metres deep at the base, where she would be safe and dry enough, even if terrified by the storm. She didn't come even though we were both calling and whistling. She may not have been able to hear us over the furious pounding of the hail and the repeated crashing of thunder.
MrSlim had purchased a Hosta at the nursery and I was able to reach that and bring it under cover with only minor wounds to it's leaves. I wasn't brave enough to attempt rescue of my tomatoes. Outside at the back of the house for the second day, accompanied by my aubergine plant with two flowers, they should have been sheltered from the storm. The hail, and thunder, persisted for some time. Crazy weather, then turned to absolutely torrential rain.
I saw the first wave of muddy brown water roll onto our driveway exactly like last time.
MrSlim declared i was panicking but went out and shut the gates. Playing Canute.
20240519_183844.jpg
That may have helped. Shortly after this the floodwater broke through the hedge washing a wet and muddy Kiki out of her hiding place. She was still too terrified to respond to calling and raced around the end of the house, disappearing for several hours, while MrSlim got a pickaxe and dug a new channel to direct the water into the ditch. While at the other end of the house both barn and stable got flooded.
As before the water flowed both through and around the stable and barn.
Storm over we assessed the damage. Not as bad as last time in 2019. My vegetable gardens were not washed out, but the battering from the hailstones had done significant damage to many plants, including my aubergine.
Screenshot_20240526-090115_Gallery.jpg
My fench friends reaction was to say that the hail had minced the leaves.
Only about a couple of inches water in the stable this time and we have a lot more shelving now, so far fewer items got wet.
20240519_184624.jpg
Even so we swept water out of the stable for what seemed like hours.
Next day ( monday) a friend came to assist with the clear up. Helping MrSlim to ferry all the stuff out of the stable and stack it under cover. Amazingly only one of our friends had similar problems. She
lives only 4km away was flooded but had no hail only rain. Her driveway floods frequently so not unexpected.
It's taken all week for everything to dry and most to be returned to it's proper place. The garden through - so many badly damaged plants. Between the slugs and the hail some plantings are almost entirely wiped out.
Courgette. Luckily all the other courgettes were under netting so less badly damaged by the hail.

Screenshot_20240526-094842_Gallery.jpg
these were white radish.
Screenshot_20240526-094224_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240526-090115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526-090115_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
enjoy the break. I imagine Mr K rolling his eyes at a packing list.
Yes @ianpspurs. Mr K is totally mystified as to why anyone would need a packing list. He takes about 10 minutes to pack everything he needs.

However, I have never let him forget the Christmas we were staying at The Swan at Lavenham. He was in charge of the dog food and beds etc. We were approaching Bury St Edmonds when he suddenly realised he hadn't packed the dog food.

Luckily it didn't take us too long to turn back home and retrieve the dog food.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Monday was also the day that my daughter was told that she may lose her job in a hostile takeover of the company and our friend had his cancer diagnosis. So all in all a pretty rubbish day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am assuming I am correct in saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY @dunelm

Tree likes its mound......

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.05am FBG 5.4
To continue with updates.
Sunday After the picnic:
Arrived home. No rain just the occaisional rumble of thunder in the distance. Am always amazed how variable weather can be within a short distance. Fed Kiki, made tea and sat outside enjoying the evening sunshine. Kiki sat with us on the warm concrete steps in front of the house, tea drunk we both wandered off while Kiki stayed on the steps.
Suddenly there was an enormous, really loud clap of thunder. BANG! sounded as if it was overhead and within seconds large hailstones were falling. Kiki was nowhere to be seen, I guessed she was hiding in the hedge, three metres deep at the base, where she would be safe and dry enough, even if terrified by the storm. She didn't come even though we were both calling and whistling. She may not have been able to hear us over the furious pounding of the hail and the repeated crashing of thunder.
MrSlim had purchased a Hosta at the nursery and I was able to reach that and bring it under cover with only minor wounds to it's leaves. I wasn't brave enough to attempt rescue of my tomatoes. Outside at the back of the house for the second day, accompanied by my aubergine plant with two flowers, they should have been sheltered from the storm. The hail, and thunder, persisted for some time. Crazy weather, then turned to absolutely torrential rain.
I saw the first wave of muddy brown water roll onto our driveway exactly like last time.
MrSlim declared i was panicking but went out and shut the gates. Playing Canute.View attachment 67852That may have helped. Shortly after this the floodwater broke through the hedge washing a wet and muddy Kiki out of her hiding place. She was still too terrified to respond to calling and raced around the end of the house, disappearing for several hours, while MrSlim got a pickaxe and dug a new channel to direct the water into the ditch. While at the other end of the house both barn and stable got flooded.
As before the water flowed both through and around the stable and barn.
Storm over we assessed the damage. Not as bad as last time in 2019. My vegetable gardens were not washed out, but the battering from the hailstones had done significant damage to many plants, including my aubergine. View attachment 67855My fench friends reaction was to say that the hail had minced the leaves.
Only about a couple of inches water in the stable this time and we have a lot more shelving now, so far fewer items got wet.View attachment 67856Even so we swept water out of the stable for what seemed like hours.
Next day ( monday) a friend came to assist with the clear up. Helping MrSlim to ferry all the stuff out of the stable and stack it under cover. Amazingly only one of our friends had similar problems. She
lives only 4km away was flooded but had no hail only rain. Her driveway floods frequently so not unexpected.
It's taken all week for everything to dry and most to be returned to it's proper place. The garden through - so many badly damaged plants. Between the slugs and the hail some plantings are almost entirely wiped out.
Courgette. Luckily all the other courgettes were under netting so less badly damaged by the hail.

View attachment 67858these were white radish. View attachment 67857
All that hard work with your plants @SlimLizzy

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. @dunelm enjoy your birthday especially as it is being spent with those wonderful grandchildren and thank you for sharing the art. @SlimLizzy hug for that awful day. @Krystyna23040 enjoy a relaxing break - check that list. Couldn't you just have bought some dog food that time and why wasn't that on your list anyhow?:D Enjoy your Trinity Sunday even if it is wet and wild.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Was your birthday yesterday or is it today @dunelm? Yesterday sounded like a very happy, if tiring day and relaxation and coffee sounds like another happy idea for today. Whichever is the right day - HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many more of them.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Monday was also the day that my daughter was told that she may lose her job in a hostile takeover of the company and our friend had his cancer diagnosis. So all in all a pretty rubbish day.
What an awful day, @SlimLizzy. My sympathy for you and for your daughter and friend. Hope you can all recover quickly from such a shocking day. Sounds as though Kiki had a pretty awful time as well - special stroke and cuddle for her.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 today at 05.45 - late to bed (01.45) so late up.

2 cups of tea and it was up to 6.0 but then had a cup of coffee (with milk) and it shot up to 10.7. Took some bolus insulin to bring it down because I haven't a clue what to have for breakfast so that won't be happening yet.

In his continued sorting out, Neil found a set of aluminium camping pans which we will never use again so I've been cleaning them up ready for handing on to Alistair or sending to the charity shop. Em has joined the scouts and they are going for a camping weekend next weekend so maybe she will want to use them. I already found our old plastic camping plates, cups and bowls and handed them on to Alistair.

Now just need to find someone who wants 2 Force 10 tents (a bit old fashioned these days because they are not exactly luxurious which most people consider necessary for camping these days).

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Phone video.
Bluetit & Sparrow.
41secs

Creative... I got sent a set of three felt tip brush pens, different sizes from thin to thick.
This is my first try out with them.
I used cartridge paper.
Big mistake. it was too absorbent and the pen ink went through the other side. I feel like the pens won't last very long at all on this type of paper.
I just googled to see if I could get some more of the same pens (because I like them), but they've already sold out.
So my next sketch, with these pens, will be on a smooth non-absorbent paper, like a manga paper or a Bristol board.

The pigeons have just broke my bird table.
Mr. Heffalump came in along with Mrs. Heffalump and baby Heffalump. They all tried to land on my tiny bird table together.

The bird table question is actually a lamp uplighter that was in my front room before it went on fire. I carried it outside while it was still on fire at the top, this was many many years ago. I am probably not the most sensible of persons....

And I converted it into a bird table.

It has been perfectly adequate for small birds until the Heffalumps came along...

Today's job is repairing my bird table...

Have your best day.

I think it's time for food now...

IMG_7672.jpeg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good evening all. @dunelm I hope the trip to Brum went well and thank you for sharing your art. @gennepher thank you for sharing the video and amazing kaleidoscope. @Lamont D you must be proud of all those grandchildren. #7 sounds as though she has real talent and #8 sounds like quite a character. @Annb good news on the clearance. @Krystyna23040 enjoy the break. I imagine Mr K rolling his eyes at a packing list. I went to a 5th birthday party - I drank tea, no food (no jelly or ice cream in sight, not sophisticated enough) - then I watched the rugby. Still to watch the cricket and cup final - thanks to @Lamont D I now know the results. Hope you all had a good Saturday.
Sorry!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Indeed @Lamont D, this looks a lot like damage limitation; an excuse to shelve his morally bankrupt and expensive Rwanda deportation scheme which was doomed to failure, while preventing his own ministers and MPs calling for a leadership contest.

Then again, perhaps spending more time with his family looks attractive, after all he doesn't need the money, does he?
His money is rotting in an account in a tax haven not near you or accessible to very few in this country.
He has only spent some of his earnings on his mansion in N. Yorks, or on his retirement palace in California, where he will be heading soon enough.
His first investment as a banker, was during the 2008 crash, he gambled and made a substantial amount betting against the British economy. His green card is next to his passport.
His only interest in the future of Britain, is how much more he can put into his account from us, the British taxpayer, obviously at a much lower rate than us. And of course the deals he has garnered for his FiL and his wife.
Shocking, disgraceful and utterly unacceptable.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Happy birthday @dunelm
Shocking storm damage @Annb and news. Always comes in threes!

A very surprising 6.1 this morning maybe cos I had a decent sleep or its sunday???

A disappointing start to the half term, showers this morning, cloudy cool.

Did a lot of tidying up in the garden, when it stopped drizzling. So many small weeds.
Can see growth in the plants now that remnants of bluebells have gone.
Might start get some more bedding plants to fill gaps.

Trying to warm up, have expected the grandkids around, if not watching dirty Leeds and not so much saints.

Enjoy your Sunday, if you can!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. @dunelm enjoy your birthday especially as it is being spent with those wonderful grandchildren and thank you for sharing the art. @SlimLizzy hug for that awful day. @Krystyna23040 enjoy a relaxing break - check that list. Couldn't you just have bought some dog food that time and why wasn't that on your list anyhow?:D Enjoy your Trinity Sunday even if it is wet and wild.
@ianpspurs unfortunately Archie had allergies and we couldn't find his special food in Bury St Edmonds.
His dog food was added to the packing list for all subsequent trips away.

I was wondering whether to add an inflatable dinghy to my packing list as we are experiencing thunderstorms and torrential rain at the moment :)