What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully more on this later. I say this as I respect the science..... Re posting ....Its a great facility we have here on this thread to share thoughts and experiences.....
@OrsonKartt This is not the link but here is one article to mull over - definition way too slack for my liking
https://www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/mo...ble-argues-report/#what-is-diabetes-remission
I will continue to search - it will bug me now.:banghead:

Here's another definition
https://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j4030/rr-0 But as an all time favourite of mine goes, I still haven't found what I'm looking for

Last edited:

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those who live norf of the Watford gap and have 3 right feet, strange population norf of Watford.......

Northerners (I live amongst them) are a very friendly but ungovernable bunch who are proud of their identity, but suspicious of power and those who wield it.
They are just like you Alf - you should come here, you’d fit right in!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daughters thought it was hilarious, Mr C didn’t - crossword and spiort section were not salvagable.
Better than having it all over the rug...it made me laugh too...but for goodness sake don't tell Mr C...he'll think it's a conspiracy;)

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was doubting your judgment after you voted to keep the old goldfish picture but you’ve just redeemed yourself ;-)
Not sure my breakfast of chorizo omelette is going to help - salad for lunch it is.
Just a note to say that protein dosent put everyone’s bg up it’s probably as individual as various carbs are re reaction. I’m lucky in that it dosent impact on mine and it’s also important not to cut back on protein too much so it’s a fine balance ! Would imagine too that the fat packaged with the protein may affect it too with fatty protein sources like full fat dairy, fatty meat and fish being the ones your body is less likely to react to re bg rises? As compared to lean fish and meat proteins. I do tend to eat mainly fatty proteins.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Just a note to say that protein dosent put everyone’s bg up it’s probably as individual as various carbs are re reaction. I’m lucky in that it dosent impact on mine and it’s also important not to cut back on protein too much so it’s a fine balance ! Would imagine too that the fat packaged with the protein may affect it too with fatty protein sources like full fat dairy, fatty meat and fish being the ones your body is less likely to react to re bg rises? As compared to lean fish and meat proteins. I do tend to eat mainly fatty proteins.

You are quite right of course and overall I'm in the right range so I'm leaving my Poirot super-sleuth skills in the box for now. Crab salad with a dash of tabasco was quite scrummy for my lunch.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good day everyone :)

4.6 today

Late posting today :sorry: we've a bit of light rain currently here but it's still very close and 'muggy' , slept in this morning and woke up with a bit of a headache. We didn't get the forecast thunder overnight, the air might be clearer if we had :(

Poor stonemason up in a cherry picker working on the church roof just across from us, he's all lagged up in his waterproofs, I should imagine they're as wet and sweaty inside as they are wet and drippy on the outside.

Hope your weekend is going well everyone :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I was just being contrary as no-one else had voted for that option at the time.

@ianpspurs that's a stringent target you’ve set yourself.
@Goonergal Swallow hard this is from Bill Nicholson :): “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”:angelic:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Swallow hard this is from Bill Nicholson@: “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.”:angelic:

I’m a fine one to talk as my last HbA1c left me underwhelmed as it was higher than my own tracking would have suggested, but in reality we’re talking about fine margins and of course there’s little chance of me following my own advice.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a fine one to talk as my last HbA1c left me underwhelmed as it was higher than my own tracking would have suggested, .
Quite funny really, as I was in exactly the same situation. I had bettered my target so I was miffed:angelic: Besides, without targets I would probably just drift.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 The proteins issues is interesting. I am totally drawn to filling myself with protein - people may have noticed in the daily food thread:angelic: The fatty/oily fish and fatty meats such as salmon, mackerel in olive oil, pork, lamb and well marbled beef have always "boiled my bacon". I have no mechanism for saying no to cheese - see cheese eat cheese. The fatty protein is a massive win for sous vide cooking IMHO.I have been smitten with pork, salmon and steak cooked that way then finished on the griddle or in the pan. Haven't tried lamb yet and even chicken is edible cooked that way.
I am also aware that old wrinklies like me need protein as we waste away:arghh:

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Northerners (I live amongst them) are a very friendly but ungovernable bunch who are proud of their identity, but suspicious of power and those who wield it.
They are just like you Alf - you should come here, you’d fit right in!

I'm up in the dark and dangerous norf more than you can imagine and have a few friends from the norf of the Watingford gap, nutters the lot orf them.

Reactions: rhubarb73

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I’ve just opened the post and got my retinopathy results back: all clear. I could cry I’m so happy. It was the only thing that stood between me and feeling like I was properly in control.
My inner angry goldfish is becalmed.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just opened the post and got my retinopathy results back: all clear. I could cry I’m so happy. It was the only thing that stood between me and feeling like I was properly in control.
My inner angry goldfish is becalmed.
Brilliant news @rhubarb73 That letter was definitely a highlight of my year as there had been some slight background retinopathy last year. You are certainly making excellent progress.:woot::woot:

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt and DJC3

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@OrsonKartt This is not the link but here is one article to mull over - definition way too slack for my liking
https://www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/mo...ble-argues-report/#what-is-diabetes-remission
I will continue to search - it will bug me now.:banghead:

Here's another definition
https://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j4030/rr-0 But as an all time favourite of mine goes, I still haven't found what I'm looking for

The Nhs ! When diagnosed against Nhs advise I did the Newcastle diet. My bmi was 25. It's now 19.

On my last appointment with a doctor I was told I was " cured. ". The doctor I saw still hadn't heard of the Newcastle diet. ... Um de dum de dum ....

..........,,I'd gone to see him about a chest infection which Has been ongoing for years and I manage with occasional antibiotics but mainly a very healthy life style. It's easier and a lot less hustle to get the anti biotics online but sometimes I have to go cap in hand ( that's how the surgery makes me feel) .... The medical system certainly doesn't encourage self empowerment. !!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today. Had a productive day working on an up and coming event, here are the details out of interest:

DIABETES.CO.UK MEETING/EVENT DATE - SATURDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER
(exact times to be confirmed)

PLACE – BIRMINGHAM (venue to be announced in the next few days)

I'm currently working on putting together a Low Carb High Fat event. It's open to anyone especially those interested in learning more about Diabetes and about the LCHF way of eating. I haven’t organised such an event before so it is a bit of a learning curve. MASSIVE THANKS TO THOSE WHO ARE HELPING ANY WHICH WAY, really could not do it without you. An amazing team effort. Any ideas much appreciated no matter how big or small.

It is coming together quite quickly from just having the idea about 2 weeks ago to having a date set in stone (Saturday 1st September). It is a date that works well for the Diabetes.co.uk team so that they can get all the relevant people there. THEY ARE INVITING LOW CARBERS THEMSELVES SO THATS GREAT. THE MORE THE MERRIER. It's not too far away so it's full steam ahead for planning. Lots of us chat andlearn so much from the forum and read the inspirational stories, but I thought itwould be really nice for as many of us as possible to have an actual get together. I have had lots of feedback from people who would like to attend which isabsolutely amazing. Exciting times.

DIABETES.CO.UKare supporting usmassively by sorting a venue, providing food and generally helping with putting the event together. it's a wonderfulopportunity for us to meet fellow members face to face, for veterans and experienced members to share their heaps of knowledge and for newcomers to perhaps learn more about their condition and how to deal with it to avoid future complications. Peoples' journeys will be there for you to read, weight loss successes, information on how to reduce HBA1c levels, info on different ways to incorporate fasting into your journey should you so wish to and the different methods of doing that, ways toincorporate exercise, from armchair to high impact. Info on cholestrol.

We are hoping to have a section ofpeople's recipes including breakfast ideas and cakes if you don't mind sharing these I am gathering your own personal recipes (not from a book or online blogger). Each recipe needs to have a title, for example 'looks horrendous but tastes divine' or 'my ultimate dessert'. There will be low carb food and drink information and much much more.

Lunch will be provided (low carb of course) PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU CAN ATTEND. If you need any help in planning journeys please let me know as I might be able to help.

There will be a before and after photossection I NEED LOTS OF BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS FOLKS!!! and I'm looking for anyone who has lost weight with theLCHF woe to please contact me if they don't mind me using their photos at the event. I also need their weight loss details and HBA1c before and after. I have some kind volunteers already by many more needed. We would like to reach the '100 STONE LOST' mark. Would make a fantastic headline.It's just great to see and share the motivational results too.

The DIABETES.CO.UK photographer and PR team will be there to take a photo of our success (but you only need to get in front of the camera shot should you so wish and if you do.... bring your old big clothes!!!). WE THOUGHT OF HAVING AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE IN THE ONE PHOTO – MAXIMUM IMPACT SHOWING HOW THE LCHF HAS HELPED US LOSE WEIGHT AND OUR HBA1c LEVELS. We are the people with this condition and as ambassadors there is no better way of getting the message out. Showing people there is another way that might not have to involve medication. That might mean the disease does not need to be progressive as we are led to believe. A healthier way of dealing with it. It's a great opportunity to show the world how eating LCHF can reverse/put intoremission/control this beast and help us regain good health.

This will hopefully be the first of many meetings between us and we can go from strength to strength as a group with the help and support from DIABETES.CO.UKwithout which it would not be possible.

Please contact me for further information, if you have any questions/ideas or to confirm whether or not you might be able to attend. Many thanks.