What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all, I'm up early here (a bit after 5 am so it's back to bed after logging my numbers).
4.1 for me.

Today is my weigh-in day and to my surprise, I lost another 2.4 lbs - 1.09 kg (initially the scale wasn't moving earlier this week),
this gives me a total of 73.19 lbs lost so far (33.2 kg or 5 stone 3.19).

I'm now less than my husband in weight (which as it should be, he's a full foot taller than me).
my starting weight: 273.59 lbs (124.1 kg)
my current weight : 200.2 lbs (90.9 kg)
well done chronicle cat thats marvelous :)

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all -- a bit late posting today.

Yesterday, we had a grand time celebrating. Two glasses of red wine and some tapas and brilliant company. Thanks for all the well-wishes, @dogslife, @SaskiaKC, @ianpspurs, @shelley262, @DJC3, @karen8967, @philchap1 (hope I haven't left anyone out).

@Chronicle_Cat. Stellar achievement on the weight loss and on the blood sugars. Very well done.
@HarrisonK -- Wonderful that everyone in Birmingham is pitching in to help those less fortunate. Makes you believe in the spirit of Xmas.
@DJC3 -- Great that your chimney finally got fixed, makes for much more enjoyable celebrations, I expect.

On another note, blood sugars were 4.9 this morning.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 this morning. Happy to be in th 5 club. Especially at this time of year! I'm currently sitting in the car park of my local Tesco. I got what seemed to be the last space. It's a Tesco extra store so it's not small! The car park is enormous. I'm wondering if they all know something I don't. Is the end of the world nigh!!! Oh yes I forgot. The shop is shut for 1 day;) I keeping everything crossed it's not a battle of the handbags for a trolley!

Anyway my bit of news for today is from DCUK PR team who contacted me this week. They have had a very busy period with it being diabetes awareness month (November). They are looking for some inspirational diabetes stories, getting the word out there that there is a way of controlling this and it does not have to control us (They have come to the right place! So many on here, all 5 types of diabetes are winning this battle). I have contacted a few from our fab Birmingham event but I thought i would also put it out there on here. If you are happy to share your journey I can give you Natalie's email address. Please just ask. To give you an idea of what the kind of thing they arrange i can confirm that so far myself and several other forum members have had our stories in local and national newspapers, local and national magazines and radio interviews. Facebook and Twitter have shared our stories. It's feels wonderful to raise awareness and inspire others to find a healthier way of eating. The feedback has been great. But it's an ongoing journey. The more of us spreading the word the better in my opinion. So much bad advice out there. Who better to share what actually works than diabetics themselves.

Anyway it is very close to Christmas and perhaps something to consider in the new year.

Other than spreading the word this way, telling the powers that be to update the ridiculous eatwell guidelines for diabetics it's YELLOW VEST TIME!!! ;)

Happy Christmas Eve Eve to you all.

UPDATE: I SURVIVED BUT ONLY JUST! I WAS TELLING TESCO CHECKOUT LADY ABOUT MY JOURNEY (NOBODY ESCAPES!) SHE HERSELF HAS BEEN T2D FOR 15 YEARS. JUST GONE ONTO INSULIN. SHE POINTED TO A COLLEAGUE WHO HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED (LOOKS ONLY IN HER 30s). IVE SENT THEM BY EMAIL ALL RELEVANT STUFF. SHE WAS THRILLED. Well it was Tescos where every little helps!!!!

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning.

Is the end of the world nigh!!! Oh yes I forgot. The shop is shut for 1 day;)

.......its's YELLOW VEST TIME!!! ;)

Happy Christmas Eve Eve to you all.

Nice score @Debandez .

And yep...it's is a form of mass hysteria ..it's really just a big special Sunday dinner, after all...(nice though it is to see family )
So glad me and the missus stopped with the nonsense of it a few years back. ..much more chilled out, so enjoy it more, I think.
Respect those who make the most of it, just not for us anymore, in its current format.

And loving the topical politico angle..bravo :D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it looks like my liver has cottoned on to me cutting my carbs, by hitting me up with unwanted insulin, like a back street drug dealer. .."pss't..want an early morning hit..no charge .?"...;)

Today's FBG 6.5..let the games begin.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have contacted a few from our fab Birmingham event but I thought i would also put it out there on here. If you are happy to share your journey I can give you Natalie's email address. Please just ask. To give you an idea of what the kind of thing they arrange i can confirm that so far myself and several other forum members have had our stories in local and national newspapers, local and national magazines and radio interviews. Facebook and Twitter have shared our stories. It's feels wonderful to raise awareness and inspire others to find a healthier way of eating. The feedback has been great. But it's an ongoing journey. The more of us spreading the word the better in my opinion. So much bad advice out there. Who better to share what actually works than diabetics themselves.

I don't know if you're looking for UK only (I'm in Canada). but I'm happy to talk about mine so far (I only started at the end of June) . My next hba1c is in mid January and I fully expect to see lower numbers then.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if you're looking for UK only (I'm in Canada). but I'm happy to talk about mine so far (I only started at the end of June) . My next hba1c is in mid January and I fully expect to see lower numbers then.
You certainly have a wonderful journey to share and inspire others. Well done you. I've just sent you a PM :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it looks like my liver has cottoned on to me cutting my carbs, by hitting me up with unwanted insulin, like a back street drug dealer. .."pss't..want an early morning hit..no charge .?"...;)

Today's FBG 6.5..let the games begin.
I selected the funny icon, it's no joke that damned DP but your post made me laugh!

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another member of Team 5.9 checking in this Sunday morning.

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's Christmas prep activities.

@HarrisonK what wonderful news to read, especially at this time of year. You are doing such a good thing, and thanks also for posting the link.

@ianpspurs thanks for posting the frenzy link -- I am going to look at it once I've got my second cup of coffee. (Wow, that's thought-provoking, enjoying a second cup of coffee when other people are lining up at food banks and at the doors of churches and such generous eateries).

It's also wonderful to read about everyone going out shopping for Christmas food to feed your families and friends. It makes me think about how gathering to eat together is not just about festivity, it's also, at root, about survival.

@DJC3 great news about your dry kitchen!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1545233281467.jpg

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You certainly have a wonderful journey to share and inspire others. Well done you. I've just sent you a PM :)

Hi, I've replied and sent off an email to Natalie.

When I was diagnosed, my best friend (who also has T2) highly recommended this site to me as the best resource online. I know it's called a "global diabetes community" and it is a wonderful resource and community.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi back again. It was very sobering to see my friend looking and feeling so rough. Puts feasting in perspective. I am her next of kin (only child of elderly parents) and she is very much part of our family. I just hope it all goes away and soon.
@DJC3 glad your roof got sorted properly...wonder if your roofer would quote a job in West Sussex in January! We’ e still got a dribble.
@ianpspurs Whats this about a cycling goose?
@HarrisonK you are amazing to do that for all those people the true spirit of Christmas.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi back again. It was very sobering to see my friend looking and feeling so rough. Puts feasting in perspective. I am her next of kin (only child of elderly parents) and she is very much part of our family. I just hope it all goes away and soon.
@DJC3 glad your roof got sorted properly...wonder if your roofer would quote a job in West Sussex in January! We’ e still got a dribble.
@HarrisonK you are amazing to do that for all those people the true spirit of Christmas.

Fingers crossed for your friend. It’s so hard to watch those we love suffering. I’m sure your visit will have lifted her spirits.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all -- a bit late posting today.

Yesterday, we had a grand time celebrating. Two glasses of red wine and some tapas and brilliant company. Thanks for all the well-wishes, @dogslife, @SaskiaKC, @ianpspurs, @shelley262, @DJC3, @karen8967, @philchap1 (hope I haven't left anyone out).

@Chronicle_Cat. Stellar achievement on the weight loss and on the blood sugars. Very well done.
@HarrisonK -- Wonderful that everyone in Birmingham is pitching in to help those less fortunate. Makes you believe in the spirit of Xmas.
@DJC3 -- Great that your chimney finally got fixed, makes for much more enjoyable celebrations, I expect.

On another note, blood sugars were 4.9 this morning.

Glad you had a good anniversary dinner and a lovely couple of glasses of wine to toast eachother.
Yes it’ll be much easier cooking dinner without dirty brown water dripping into the pans on the hob, such a relief!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A reference to @SueJB 's post about getting a goose then cycling nowhere and a cryptic crossword coming on!