1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Morning all. 5.6 today. More impirtantly my kitchen is dry even though its pouring with rain. Hurrah! No leak.

We are off out to breakfast at an American diner soon. Bacon and eggs for me and piles of pancakes for everyone else. Good coffee too. The only person missing will be my youngest daughter who is having to work double shifts to cover a colleague who hasn’t made it back from Poland after the problems at Gatwick

@PenguinMum I’m sorry your friend isn’t well enoygh to travel to you this Christmas, I’m sure your visit will cheer her enormously though.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Absolutely brilliant of you and those organisations involved @HarrisonK . Helped me see a light shining in the dark. Thank you for that post and GBY. Similar spiritual uplift from your post @PenguinMum. Really can find the evidence in the most unexpected places. I am getting properly schooled today.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #38142 ianpspurs, Dec 23, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Malbec's good for you, well it's good for me anyway

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, seems like there's lots of to-ing and fro-ing planned for people today. It's go get goose day for me then cycling nowhere
    Madam rose to 5.5 but that's OK says I phlematically! I feel a cryptic crossword coming on!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Geoffno6

Geoffno6 · Well-Known Member

11.8 at 7.30am

• Hug Hug x 13
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ianpspurs

Your avatar is singularly festive and your whole mien suitably upbeat - good girl:angelic: Malbec does seem to be ubiquitous atm. I am obviously trying to imitate my betters as we will be having goose on Christmas day and given free choice I prefer Malbec or similar. Is 2 down cyclinggoose?:angelic:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    #38146 ianpspurs, Dec 23, 2018 at 9:42 AM
  7. rhubarb73

rhubarb73 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Howdi
    A drizzly day. My youngest wants me to build Lego with him. Had planned to go for a walk but I think the Lego wins. Bacon is on for a late brekkie.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning...oh I am weak & feeble when it comes to Daim bars...carefully packing a Christmas stocking with treats and a couple of them didn't make it...delicious irresistible & so enjoyable...not feeling one bit guilty or regretful...I enjoyed every mouthful even the pieces that fell onto my sweater...don't do this at home folks...thought I'd get my disclaimer in there;)...woke to a relieving & possibly undeserving 5.9

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 4
  9. ianpspurs

In the age of #Metoo, can I still say everyone needs a bit of @Bubbsie in their life? (I may be a little Scrooge like but I know the value of a Yin to my Yang):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all, I'm up early here (a bit after 5 am so it's back to bed after logging my numbers).
    4.1 for me.

Today is my weigh-in day and to my surprise, I lost another 2.4 lbs - 1.09 kg (initially the scale wasn't moving earlier this week),
    this gives me a total of 73.19 lbs lost so far (33.2 kg or 5 stone 3.19).

I'm now less than my husband in weight (which as it should be, he's a full foot taller than me).
    my starting weight: 273.59 lbs (124.1 kg)
    my current weight : 200.2 lbs (90.9 kg)

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Like Like x 4
  11. ianpspurs

Brilliant news and the kind of Christmas present made to last. Have a great day - now get back to bed:angelic:For all non UK members this is a fascinating insight into a UK feeding fenzy https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rmarket-christmas-sales-online-super-saturday

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #38151 ianpspurs, Dec 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM
  12. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

85% is my limit.
    Exhibit A your honour. Guilty as charged!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all a bit late but I went to a weathspoons and found that if I hold the beans the gluten free breakfast is also a low carb event and as long as I averted my eyes from the political stuff on the table it wasnt that bad..... Anyhow 5.9 this morning as it was a booze free evening last night....

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 6
  14. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.7 today

just grey outside today so perhaps we'll get a walk later :)

I don't have much voice this morning but that can only be an advantage ;)

have to go shopping again on the way to mum's, when I tried to buy some chicken yesterday every shop's shelves were bare, one would think that the shops are going to be closed for a month, I just want to make a curry for tomorrow, maybe beef curry instead ? :)

Hope your weekend is going well :)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. ianpspurs

Great numbers as per usual. Have posted the link elsewhere but this may explain #shelfgate https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rmarket-christmas-sales-online-super-saturday

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Will do :) After visting my mom today, I have to venture out to the grocery store myself - the UK feeding frenzy sounds just like ours in Canada (it will be crowded).

We are "over retailed" in Canada (have more stores than we need) or can support especially with the entrance of more American chain stores as the years have gone by and the growth of online shopping) so we are seeing huge shifting/reduction in shopping. As well, the gap between the wealthy and everyone else is growing. (Many of us are downwardly mobile - my husband was a computer programmer/analyst for years, his job went to India, so he's now a 63 year old condo "conceirge" aka security guard.) I suspect a similar phenomena is happening in many countries.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ian I am about to atone for my carb excess shortly...an extra long walk with 'phat boy' in the rain...I was surprised I scored in the fives this morning...grateful...but surprised...no guilt however common sense has set in...I am back on the wagon for the next day or so;).

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

well done chronicle cat thats marvelous :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all -- a bit late posting today.

Yesterday, we had a grand time celebrating. Two glasses of red wine and some tapas and brilliant company. Thanks for all the well-wishes, @dogslife, @SaskiaKC, @ianpspurs, @shelley262, @DJC3, @karen8967, @philchap1 (hope I haven't left anyone out).

@Chronicle_Cat. Stellar achievement on the weight loss and on the blood sugars. Very well done.
    @HarrisonK -- Wonderful that everyone in Birmingham is pitching in to help those less fortunate. Makes you believe in the spirit of Xmas.
    @DJC3 -- Great that your chimney finally got fixed, makes for much more enjoyable celebrations, I expect.

On another note, blood sugars were 4.9 this morning.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

5.9 this morning. Happy to be in th 5 club. Especially at this time of year! I'm currently sitting in the car park of my local Tesco. I got what seemed to be the last space. It's a Tesco extra store so it's not small! The car park is enormous. I'm wondering if they all know something I don't. Is the end of the world nigh!!! Oh yes I forgot. The shop is shut for 1 day;) I keeping everything crossed it's not a battle of the handbags for a trolley!

Anyway my bit of news for today is from DCUK PR team who contacted me this week. They have had a very busy period with it being diabetes awareness month (November). They are looking for some inspirational diabetes stories, getting the word out there that there is a way of controlling this and it does not have to control us (They have come to the right place! So many on here, all 5 types of diabetes are winning this battle). I have contacted a few from our fab Birmingham event but I thought i would also put it out there on here. If you are happy to share your journey I can give you Natalie's email address. Please just ask. To give you an idea of what the kind of thing they arrange i can confirm that so far myself and several other forum members have had our stories in local and national newspapers, local and national magazines and radio interviews. Facebook and Twitter have shared our stories. It's feels wonderful to raise awareness and inspire others to find a healthier way of eating. The feedback has been great. But it's an ongoing journey. The more of us spreading the word the better in my opinion. So much bad advice out there. Who better to share what actually works than diabetics themselves.

Anyway it is very close to Christmas and perhaps something to consider in the new year.

Other than spreading the word this way, telling the powers that be to update the ridiculous eatwell guidelines for diabetics it's YELLOW VEST TIME!!! ;)

Happy Christmas Eve Eve to you all.

UPDATE: I SURVIVED BUT ONLY JUST! I WAS TELLING TESCO CHECKOUT LADY ABOUT MY JOURNEY (NOBODY ESCAPES!) SHE HERSELF HAS BEEN T2D FOR 15 YEARS. JUST GONE ONTO INSULIN. SHE POINTED TO A COLLEAGUE WHO HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED (LOOKS ONLY IN HER 30s). IVE SENT THEM BY EMAIL ALL RELEVANT STUFF. SHE WAS THRILLED. Well it was Tescos where every little helps!!!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    #38160 Debandez, Dec 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook