What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today.
@Ryhia and @nutribolt it’s interesting that you are both finding lower fbg with less protein, has this meant you’ve reduced calories or have you increased fat intake to make up the difference? I’m toying with the PE diet ( more protein) but I haven’t really been consistent enough to to know the effects.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
7.2.... Yesterday 7.9. PM yesterday 5.7 and then went to bed on a 6.3.

This is not what I’m eating. This is purely my fickle-as-a-pickle endocrine fandanglement. It does what it wants to. Keeping my eye on the Prize: Stable HBA1C and maybe a reduction - long term, reduction in the possibilities of neuropathies and those other “surprise” of Diabetes. Presently I’m not on Insulin and wish to keep it this way. Respect to others who have too.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 on Swipey -= it is what it is. I definitely target protein and fibre + cals (PE simplified?) but haven't gone a whole A1c cycle doing this properly. If fat comes with the food so be it but fat ain't my friend. @Estragon great outlook - this is a long game (lifelong)

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.3 at 6AM nearly 36 hours into fasting.

has this meant you’ve reduced calories or have you increased fat intake to make up the difference?

Actually I thought of doing this only after reading post from @Ryhia :) ... and it was not without logic. We know that protein does get converted to glucose so I figured it would make sense for BG to be lower with reduced protein intake.

I did not increase intake of fat but did have more fibre. Basically I ate the konjac noodles and did not have chicken or egg the whole day. I did however eat flaxseed and nut porridge, two deliciously guilt free cakes, two protein bars and one pizza made using the low carb pizza base which along with konjac noodles is basically all I ate during the day.

I am going to have eggs today and no chicken to see what happens with sugar readings and report back.

Have a great day everyone. :)

Reactions: DJC3

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 this morning after a big bowl of spaghetti Bolognese with black bean pasta last night, so very happy with that result. (I am experimenting with the pasta which I would not normally have) Feeling relaxed which is sure to have helped. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ert and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 today.
@Estragon I could have written your second para above. Though my FBG has steadily increased over the last few months I heard yesterday that I had maintained the same HbA1c. If thats not fickle as a pickle fandangleness I dont know what is. Keep on keeping on I say and thanks for sharing.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today.
@Ryhia and @nutribolt it’s interesting that you are both finding lower fbg with less protein, has this meant you’ve reduced calories or have you increased fat intake to make up the difference? I’m toying with the PE diet ( more protein) but I haven’t really been consistent enough to to know the effects.

I haven't done any stringent checks, but it just seems to me if I overdo the protein, then whilst my bloods don't rise a lot which is good, they will stay elevated for a lot longer 3/4 hours which is not so good. I need to test much more to satisfy myself that what I am reporting is accurate as other issues come into play. I have been particularly stressed over recent months which has certainly impacted my bloods. Regarding calories, I do know that if I reduce my calorie intake I do get much better blood results, but then its a fight with hunger, so why go there if I don't need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Estragon I could have written your second para above.
Sure, and I’ll tell you, it’s taken a lot of reading, re-reading, writing and rewriting and much, much obsession about delving amongst the Variables. I’ll be honest: It’s been all you guys and gals that have allowed me to experiment with theories and actualities and practice that have gotten me through. I’ll shut up now ;).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 today.
@Estragon I could have written your second para above. Though my FBG has steadily increased over the last few months I heard yesterday that I had maintained the same HbA1c. If thats not fickle as a pickle fandangleness I dont know what is. Keep on keeping on I say and thanks for sharing.
Yay for the HbA1c.:woot::woot: Is it wrong of me to say I told ya so?:angelic:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cong
7.2 this morning, but got married yesterday so was not exactly a good boy with respect to eating, I’ll take that FBG as a result.

Back to running reasonably normally , did an acceptable 6k yesterday.

HbA1c last week 41 , looks like I’ll be stopping the Metformin in the next two weeks.

Happy Sunday !
congratulations on both wedding and numbers .

Reactions: HeliGary

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All gone pear-shaped since Sunday. Visited family in Chorleywood ate loads. Went on to Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight till Wednesday evening. Got home and have struggled to regain good eating habits hence a 10.2 fbg after regular 5’s and 6’s.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.1 this morning. Tiny naan bread with homemade curry last night... surely that can't be the reason for a 1.5 pt rise?

Reactions: ianpspurs

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
...surely that can't be the reason for a 1.5 pt rise?
Oh yes it can be! ‘And don’t call me “Shirley” ’- Leslie Nielsen - Airplane! 1980. Last nights home made Stir Fry - Veggies, Chicken Teriyaki and... wait for it.... drum roll - NOODLES this morning 8.6 . So predictable. Now, what’s gonna win the 3:00pm race at Newmarket? Yeah, not that type of predictability. Shame.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3