What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I tend to mix them in at the end and eat asap I also add cheese often and if I do that some small spring onions. I also add cider vinegar sometimes especially if I have this in place of my monster salad. This is a quick meal either after exercise or if we are late back from somewhere. I have always loved bowl food (yes Nigella) and if I could eat all meals from a bowl, with a spoon my life would be perfect!

Sounds a bit like my lazy mackerel pate, but better! I am definitely doing this, thanks.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, been a busy couple of days and we ate out on Saturday evening, local pub that does an excellent carvery, had plenty of meat, 2 very small roast potatoes, veg, small stuffing balls and mini sausages 4.3 before eating and 6.3 2 hrs after, which considering the amount I ate plus the additional carbs not too bad a result
Today we travelled North for the start of our holiday, this evening we went to a local harvester restaurant, I had the angry bird burger but didn’t eat the bun, selection of items from the salad cart with blue cheese dressing, 5.2 before eating and 5.4 2 hrs later, minimal carbs today as breakfast was eaten at a service station, had the mega breakfast sub, sausage, bacon, egg, cheese, topped with some tomato, gherkins and mayo, again left the roll part of the meal, unfortunately didn’t test before or after due to meter being in the boot of the car.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Good luck on your blood tests, @shelley262 -- You'll do great, though I am always nervous too.
Thanks for the tip with the inulin, @shelley262 and @ianpspurs. I definitely have to check it out.
Sorry to read you felt ill today, @Rachox. Hope tomorrow will be better.
@DJC3 -- You are doing great. So sorry that your nurse is not more supportive.
@Goonergal -- Your results after the cake were great, you should also take into account the last meal effect. Your pancreas just isn't used anymore to chugging out that much insulin at once.
@maglil55 -- Your grandkids must be so disappointed -- I really empathize with your being upset.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A slice of yesterday's quiche and a slice of the lemon drizzle cake.

Lunch: Another double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. One DD keto roll, one half with chicken liver pate and one half with goat cream cheese and low-carb honey.

Snack: Three squares of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and lamb. A slice of the quiche. A glass of red wine.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: McDonald's Big Mac, Fries and very large Strawberry Milkshake

Lunch: Eat All You Can 'Till You Literally Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet (Part 1)

Dinner: Eat All You Can 'Till You Literally Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet (Part 2)

Tea: x2 large bottles of Coke, Crisps, Ice Cream, Cheesecake, Chocolate Biscuits, Donuts...

Before Bed: Accident & Emergency, Hospital followed by Funeral Parlor

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
Such lovely food this evening, its taken me ages to scroll through all the wonderful looking menus.

@vanillapie I’ve only just started drinking wine ( or anything) again and like you I’m treading warily: just seeing what effect it has. I think you can only judge by what it does to you personally. Drink and test. Good luck.

@Goonergal your weekend with your dad sounds great, if a bit scary with the Victoria sponge situation. I’m finding social events more of a worry than I anticipated. You seemed to come back to normal levels in good time though, so presumably IR is improving. Must admit I’d panic a bit at the thought of being offered a normal cake.

@shelley262 your dinner sounds lovely. When is your A1c test? I remember you saying it was soon. Glad your keto rolls worked ok. I keep meaning to try them but haven’t got round to it yet.

@ianpspurs your rhubarb fool/ cheesecake!!!

Feel a bit ordinary posting my day on a plate...

1st thing: handful of brazil nuts
Dog walk then
B: cheese and Parma ham

L: smoked mackerel fillet, 1/2 avocado and boiled egg apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing.

D: slow roast belly pork. Creamed cabbage (DD) brocolli and a couple of glasses of wine.

Thanks for your response! Maybe I'll treat myself to a glass this week and see how it goes!

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: McDonald's Big Mac, Fries and very large Strawberry Milkshake

Lunch: Eat All You Can 'Till You Literally Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet (Part 1)

Dinner: Eat All You Can 'Till You Literally Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet (Part 2)

Tea: x2 large bottles of Coke, Crisps, Ice Cream, Cheesecake, Chocolate Biscuits, Donuts...

Before Bed: Accident & Emergency, Hospital followed by Funeral Parlor

Have you been on the booze Andrew?!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hbaca1 bloods taken this Wednesday and DN review following Wednesday just before go to my mums to help her pack for hols. However I have online access now thankfully so will be checking for my exam results regularly from following day! Not sure how long before on computer...... I feel oddly nervous. Mysugr suggests 31 but I’d be happy with current 33 - as had only come off Metformin 6 weeks before last test. This will be first test with no pills in whole 6 month period so trying to be realistic. I’m more concerned about cholesterol as it was high last time and statins refusal was an issue at least seeing result before review will give me preparation time,
Good luck for your blood tests I will be wishing you well from afar, I’m sure your hard work and dedication will be reflected, I look forward to seeing a positive post and hopefully I will hear you whopping with joy while I’m relaxing on my sunbed :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 here is a link https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail-weekend-magazine/20170121/283888752772622
Hope it is useful although not quite caramel per se I would guess you just adapt as per caramel with sugar.
Ok you've got me interested. Creme Brulee was always my go to dessert (Well that and trifle) and I knew it had to be "low-carbable" apart from the crispy, cracking top so anything that resolves that issue has my attention.
It may also be the solution to the crisp exterior of the Russian Tipsy Cake I was talking about.
I'd been swithering about Tom Kerridge's Dopamine book for a while but to be honest I got a bit miffed when he admitted to losing all that weight on low carb but then fronts a low calorie programme. Is the Dopamine book worth it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Impressive food cooked today by @Goonergal and @ianpspurs - love the sound of your cheesecake Ian I have rubharb growing nicely at the moment had wondered about rhubarb fool, must try it. Hungry day today and made some diet doctor keto rolls they weren’t as risen as last time but at least were not hollow @maglil55 !
Breakfast bacon, egg, sausage and half a large tomato
Lunch dd rolls toasted and served with scr@mbled egg yolks remaining from dd rolls recipe which uses 3 egg whites followed by thin slice of lemon cake.
Dinner slow cooked sirloin beef served with braised celery and cauli cheese followed by low carb lemon and lime mousse
Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Do you know what you did differently with this batch?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok you've got me interested. Creme Brulee was always my go to dessert (Well that and trifle) and I knew it had to be "low-carbable" apart from the crispy, cracking top so anything that resolves that issue has my attention.
It may also be the solution to the crisp exterior of the Russian Tipsy Cake I was talking about.
I'd been swithering about Tom Kerridge's Dopamine book for a while but to be honest I got a bit miffed when he admitted to losing all that weight on low carb but then fronts a low calorie programme. Is the Dopamine book worth it?
@maglil55 On the basis that you need to kiss an awful lot of frogs to find your Prince with diet the book is well worth it. Lots of common sense in there and he is probably the only proper chef to write a book with recipes so at least there is a fighting chance of recipes tasting good. My own preference/aim is still to get as close as poss to the Hemsleys but that is just me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55
If you like phaffy cooking, then the Dopamine book has lots of recipes that throw a lower carb spin.
I bought it when it was on offer on Amazon, went through every page and came up with only half a dozen recipes that attracted me - purely and simply because I am a v lazy cook, and the amount of steps, cheffy detail and unnecessary bits of washing up that the man advises is ABSURD.

I have done each of those half dozen recipes, to delicious effect, but in each case I was able to reduce his fuss and fiddle down by several steps, avoiding dirtying every bowl in the kitchen or having to use slave labour to clean up afterwards.

Horses for courses.

The lamb in anchovy remains a favourite.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.1 FBG 6.4. Didn't have the campari yesterday but did have the wee Prosecco. Been dealing this morning with 2 very narked grandsons over the swimming situation. Their instructor has managed to get the new premises 4 weeks early now but that still leaves us with narky children who really don't like change. They were prepped for the move in June but now it's immediate. Anyway
B. 2 scrambled eggs, slice Hovis lower carb seeded with Lurpack and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Diet Doctor pork chop with beans and garlic butter.
I'm adding avocado and 4 sliced sprouts to the green beans. No swimming tonight thanks to the gym closing.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.1 FBG 6.4. Didn't have the campari yesterday but did have the wee Prosecco. Been dealing this morning with 2 very narked grandsons over the swimming situation. Their instructor has managed to get the new premises 4 weeks early now but that still leaves us with narky children who really don't like change. They were prepped for the move in June but now it's immediate. Anyway
B. 2 scrambled eggs, slice Hovis lower carb seeded with Lurpack and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Diet Doctor pork chop with beans and garlic butter.
I'm adding avocado and 4 sliced sprouts to the green beans. No swimming tonight thanks to the gym closing.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pork-chops-green-beans-garlic-butter

Reactions: ianpspurs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55
If you like phaffy cooking, then the Dopamine book has lots of recipes that throw a lower carb spin.
I bought it when it was on offer on Amazon, went through every page and came up with only half a dozen recipes that attracted me - purely and simply because I am a v lazy cook, and the amount of steps, cheffy detail and unnecessary bits of washing up that the man advises is ABSURD.

I have done each of those half dozen recipes, to delicious effect, but in each case I was able to reduce his fuss and fiddle down by several steps, avoiding dirtying every bowl in the kitchen or having to use slave labour to clean up afterwards.

Horses for courses.

The lamb in anchovy remains a favourite.

I agree about unnecessary steps and washing up! I also get put off if the ingredient list exceeds 6 items! :joyful::hilarious:

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Admin please delete if this post is in the wrong place. Can anyone recommend a LCHF friendly yoghurt?

And is any cream ok? Or do I still need to check labels?

I have spent so long avoiding fat, finding it hard to build back in.

Thank you in advance.