What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to make a sort of icecream using slightly defrosted frozen raspberries or blackberries whizzed up in a liquidiser with double cream and a touch of sweetener if necessary. Then eat straight away. Simple but good. Can sub part or all of the cream with thick Greek yoghurt.

Today....

Breakfast: egg, bacon, low carb chipolatas, mushrooms, couple tablespoons baked beans
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Oxcheek casserole/stew made with swede, celeriac, leeks, red wine, half a can of cannellini beans and herbs - I'm making a lot of servings of this as I bought a lot of oxcheek from Morrisons for half price on yellow sticker - most will go in the freezer.
Dessert: fresh strawberries
Drunks: black decaff coffee, still spring water and red wine

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I so want to eat some chocolate. Or ice cream, or .......

Viv..... the result was a very creamy rich chocolate ice cream using a keto recipe. Made and eaten today.

6B507B89-7C8A-4A53-8C49-DE01BB703005.jpeg

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.9 FBG was also 5.9. Last swimming lesson before stopping for Easter. Only one Grandson today. The little one was off to Deep Sea World and a sleepover. No 1 chose not to go.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 slices Dr Almond golden bread toasted one with melted cheese one with pate.
L. Nothing at swimming and running son about to get food for their menagerie.
D. Decided to was time to make Tom Kerridge's lamb shank madras again only instead of hours in the oven it's in the IP. Will be having with cauliflower rice.
A slice of the cinnamon cake with raspberries and a dollop of cornish clotted cream. My usual campari and soda.
No school run tomorrow. Hurrah!! Still got Aqua though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess the way forward, Ian, would be if you have a domestic icecream maker to give it s go.

Lakeland do them fron £20 - £300, although, interestingly those stating they make gelato too appear, as you say, the more expensive. This one https://www.lakeland.co.uk/15912/Cuisinart-Gelato-and-Ice-Cream-Maker-1-5L-ICE100BCU : states,

"2 Paddles for Ice Cream and Gelato

As ice cream and gelato have different dairy contents, they need to churn slightly differently to retain that perfect consistency. This machine comes with 2 separate paddles included, guaranteeing you the perfect results every time, whatever scoop you’ve opted for."

Your mission, should you decide to accept it is...........

@maglil55 is often the font of all technical knowledge on culinary matters
Gelato is a slower churn. It's thicker than ice cream and lower fat. I used to think it was just the Italian for ice cream until I saw it being made on one of my many trips to Italy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Seem to be bucking the trend by not having a hungry day, which is very welcome as it’s brought to an end a very long run of seemingly always having a hungry day.

Having said that, @BibaBee I’m feeling very envious of your head-sized ribeye. Having spent all day planning a large ribeye with fried eggs at an Argentinian steak house near where I’m staying, I arrived for dinner only to be told that as their extractor fan had broken they were unable to serve any meat! The only food on offer was pizza so plan b came into action.

Plan B was Nando’s. Ordered 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi to up the fat content a bit. One of the legs arrived with virtually no skin, so that had to be replaced. Just had dessert of a couple of teaspoons of extra thick double cream back at the hotel.

@zauberflote it does feel quite luxurious to have moved out for the decorators. All the more so since I’ve set myself up in the hotel room with a mini-fridge loaded with cream, mini-portions of cheese, sachets of mayonnaise and little pats of butter (in anticipation of needing to add to meals out), little bottles of sparkling water, a couple of diet cokes and a Tupperware box of sliced lime for my drinks. Should have planned better and taken the week off work too!

@Chook the oxcheek sounds good. Had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold. wet, housework (hoover, dust, polish steam ) - how much worse can it get? 2mad day - mainly by splitting lunch so 1 course was boat race time and the other just after the extra time in football.
First part was beef (silverside - bit meh really) celeriac and cauliflower mash, sprouts and chorizo with stock/gravy from cooking the meat. Part 2 was 100 gms W1 Greek yogurt and 123 gms raspberries (Chronometer says that is a cup). Apart from tea I had cocoa with almond and soy milk plus 30 mls double cream, Allegedly 1700 cals (v BMR of nearer 1900 ) and 28 gms net carbs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Scrambled egg made with heavy cream and fried bacon lardons and a slice of ultra super low carb toasted livlife bread with butter.

Lunch : Slice of extremely low carb livlife bread, toasted with pork liver pate. Followed by keto chocolate ice cream - very filling too.

Dinner : Tandoori mixed grill (came with copious amounts of lamb kebab meat of dubious content so I left that). Greek yoghurt, yogurt or is it yoghourt? Not sure. With fresh strawberries. :D

Tea and orange cordial.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone, Ive had a great day with granddaughters here as their mum has the dreaded lurgy. I’m shattered now and glad of a restful evening ahead now they’ve gone home.

Omad just Sunday lunch apart from CWC
Roast beef ( Instant pot 4 minute beef - highly recommend) with cauli cheese, green beans, roast broccoli and 2 small bits roast swede. Made Yorkies for the others and Mr C introduced the girls to the Yorkshire delicacy of Yorkshire pud with golden syrup in the hole. Their mum won’t be happy! They also helped me make flapjacks which happily used up all my syrup, demerara sugar and porridge oats - then sent them all home with them for their dad’s lunchbox in the week.

Nearly made lc Yorkies with a recipe using arrowroot - twice the carbs of almond flour but still loads less than wheat flour. Unfortunately our little Co op didn’t sell arrowroot so that’ll have to wait for another day. I figured it would give about 3.5g carb per pud.

@Goonergal hope the decorating goes well. How long are you camped out for? What a shame about the kitchen being unable to cook meat

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Have just spent an hour in the kitchen.
The results are:
- one loaf of Dr Almond bread for Mr B
- 2 kilos of cheesy mince (on hob)
- 2.1 kilos of mustard and dijon shoulder steaks (in Instant Pot)
That’s the week’s evening meals, with extra for the freezer.

Feet up again now. All that manual labour is exhausting!

Food today was breakfast bacon and eggs for breakfast, then cheesy mince just now, with Lindt 70% in between.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plan B was Nando’s. Ordered 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi to up the fat content a bit. One of the legs arrived with virtually no skin, so that had to be replaced. Just had dessert of a couple of teaspoons of extra thick double cream back at the hotel.

@Chook the oxcheek sounds good. Had it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it.
Good old Nandos eh!

We have pork cheek quite a bit. Seems okay.

Reactions: Goonergal

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - 2 slices of home white made sourdough, avocado and 2 eggs and streaky bacon.
Lunch - 2 slices of low GI bread with a whole cooked gooey camembert!
Snack - Ice cream Lemon and Apple scoops from ice cream man! (Yum!)
Dinner (cooking - Roast rump of beef from the butchers, stuffing, roast potatoes and veg. Desert will be a Cadburys yoghurt it will make a change from fat-free natural yoghurt!

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: balti chicken curry and cauliflower rice fried with garlic and ginger followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one ...... :joyful:

401A0F4A-EFBD-4D6F-9B9D-0C9FAC6A204C.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: balti chicken curry and cauliflower rice fried with garlic and ginger followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one ...... :joyful:

View attachment 32215
Jaffa Cake? :D That looks suspiciously like a Jaffa Cake.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Viv19

You certainly can make your own ice cream! I have simply used clotted cream and strawberries, blended it together and put it into the ice cream maker with a shot of vodka to stop it freezing solid! Can't remember what else I used to make but sure you can substitute strawberries for other things, eg peanut butter, add dark choc chips etc. There are bound to be loads of recipes on the internet :hungry:. Or see what happens if you put Greek yoghurt in the ice cream maker...

I’m feeling hungry just thinking about it. No clotted cream here, but I strain my own yoghurt (lactose free) to make it thicker, maybe that would work.
I think I ate too much today. Bedtime glucose reading is higher than for over a week.
Breakfast (breakfast at weekends) 2 boiled eggs plus slice of seed bread with butter.
Lunch cottage cheese and cheddar with a slice of my bread, nuts, then yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries
Dinner salmon with stir fry veg (put some tomato sauce over it) and cauliflower rice
Glass red.
Tomorrow I’ll be better.
I’ll make ice cream when I’ve lost another 3 kilos.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Prawn sandwiches, ate some of the prawns with Chook's Prawn Dipping Sauce (modified).
Dwe01us.gif
Pix of prawns cooking here at post #25972
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

Chook's Prawn Dipping Sauce (modified)

3 - 4 heaped soup spoons of Greek Yoghurt.
A big dollop of Nandos Peri Peri Marinade.
Splash of Holbrooks.

Mix together in a container with a fork till all blended in.

Tastes OK but it's a work in progress.

Edit: Added link

Last edited by a moderator:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 syrup on Yorkshire pudding??? That’s blasphemous!! So do you make them individually in cupcake tuns? My mom used to make a single 8x8 one, so those who wanted crust and those who wanted eggy goo could each get their wish. The corners were magnificent !
Welcome @cireland !
@Rachox that “.....” makes my Sundays I’m not familiar with “....”, is that the photo of one? Ah I see @Listlad answers my question.
Today was a feast day due to circumstances and a weak will, and I felt So Much Better compared to yesterday. However. Just as I coax the choco-caffeine-high BG’s down a bit, a day like today happens. Ah well.
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg w dijon, DWSAC.
Lunch (!) celery with a Navy mess-sized ladle...
Supper at reception following wonderful recital that had Mom in raptures, raw cruciferous things, 1 cherry tom, and attendant gas. Mom had fruit, asst veg, and a piece of obviously home made German chocolate cake brownie bar, which didn’t appeal to me At All. Then out to the open-windowed car for grilled tune sandwiches, mine on LC tortilla.
Took Mom back. Someone had slept in her bed while we were out, so there was hoo-ha while aide changed linen. But all ended well.
Thought about chocolate all the way home, so had a square before walking, very satisfying.
Back to business as usual tomorrow!
Sleep well and good morning!