What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria glad you got the trains and cheap motels behind you! UK trains are on my bucket list. And when I visit you, DO NOT take me to your local Indian restaurant!!!! I have negative tolerance for more than one grain of simple cayenne pepper in my serving. Makes me sad, bc I love curry, but it’s the non-hot richness I go for.
Can you not simply simmer your sauce a few minutes? Or is that phaffy too.

oooh - that is faaarrr too phaffy! lol.
I have already fished all the meat out, divided it into portions, shared the sauce out over each portion, and frozen half.
I'm possibly the laziest cook alive - considering it a badge of honour. And my target is ALWAYS minimal washing up.
Haha!

Funnily enough, I don't like hot curries either. I prefer flavour to heat, and Mr B had a few nasty madras-and-beer moments with his pub mates in his youth. But we both love our local curry house. They have a marvellous range, and happily tone the spices up (or down) on request. Everything is labelled with 1 to 5 chillies, so you get to choose easily. Which was kind of why we were surprised by our Texan friend's reactions... But they both chose hot, because they thought our curries would be bland. Just cultural differences, I suppose. I am happy up to 3 chillies. 4 pushes my boundaries, and I can't see the point of 5 since I don't taste anything but heat.

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@Dr Snoddy

I love the sound of those eggs - I just added green chillies to my Asda order to make it. Did you use fresh or tinned tomatoes?
Hi Chook. I used baby plum tomatoes otherwise there is too much fluid in the eggs and they don't scramble properly. I am thinking that there could be other spicy variations on this recipe, maybe chopped coriander instead of fenugreek, which I love but may not be to everyone's taste, red chilli instead of green for more impact, could be served with Greek yoghurt??

@Brunneria

I completely agree that eating out isn't worth the hassle unless you can get something you wouldn't normally have at home or is better than you can make it yourself. Now I just need to persuade Mr C if that.

My eyes are back to normal!!!! They were still a bit blurry when I tried to watch the 11 o'clock News last night.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a proper steak tonight - at a restaurant where the chef is the husband of a former colleague.

Waaay too much food today. Started with M&S rollitos late morning, followed up by lunch of smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese and almost a ladle full of almond butter and cream. Oh and some Montezuma’s 100% with orange and cocoa nibs (on offer in Sainsbury’s).

Steak was a bit large but would have been rude not to finish it.

Sun coming out belatedly so a canal walk part way back to the hotel coming up.

@zauberflote Amtrak trains are far superior to ours.

219D0D36-56E7-4D60-B4B1-62FE9D203EBF.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook all those British books I read growing up had trains in them. Our Amtrak is pretty pathetic compared to my imagination lol! And You Run On Time!! Mr C definitely one-ups me. I doubt I’ll ever grind a spice except peppercorns. I fry them in the sauté-the-onions-n-garlic stage, so they cook with the curry. I’m lucky, Mr ZF likes it just fine the way I make it. Now I want the time to make curry!
@Brunneria I believe I’d win in the laziness dept...I went to a Pampered Chef party once where the ice breaker was, how would you describe yourself in the kitchen. A wonderful crotchety old friend got a laugh by saying, with great truth and vehemence, “absent!” My experience in the two local Indian restaurants with fire scales is, about a negative 5 is firmly my spot. Hubby and I went out on our first date after first kid, and I couldn’t eat what I was given! Epic Fail. Took home, bought huge container of yogurt, and mixed it with curry about 6:1. Then kept the yogurt close to soothe each bite with. I am hopeless! I raised a son who will and has tried every flaming toxic pepper out there. He can taste the flavor! All I taste is the pain....
@Goonergal are you serious???? Removing UK trains from bucket list immediately!

Reactions: ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook all those British books I read growing up had trains in them. Our Amtrak is pretty pathetic compared to my imagination lol! And You Run On Time!! Mr C definitely one-ups me. I doubt I’ll ever grind a spice except peppercorns. I fry them in the sauté-the-onions-n-garlic stage, so they cook with the curry. I’m lucky, Mr ZF likes it just fine the way I make it. Now I want the time to make curry!
@Brunneria I believe I’d win in the laziness dept...I went to a Pampered Chef party once where the ice breaker was, how would you describe yourself in the kitchen. A wonderful crotchety old friend got a laugh by saying, with great truth and vehemence, “absent!” My experience in the two local Indian restaurants with fire scales is, about a negative 5 is firmly my spot. Hubby and I went out on our first date after first kid, and I couldn’t eat what I was given! Epic Fail. Took home, bought huge container of yogurt, and mixed it with curry about 6:1. Then kept the yogurt close to soothe each bite with. I am hopeless! I raised a son who will and has tried every flaming toxic pepper out there. He can taste the flavor! All I taste is the pain....
@Goonergal are you serious???? Removing UK trains from bucket list immediately!

Zauberflote - This is a lovely, flavourful, but exceedingly mild curry, very simple and IP.

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

@Brunneria and @DJC3 - have you made it?

Sorry, @shelley262 - I keep forgetting you are an IPotter.

Reactions: zauberflote

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. While shopping this morning I realised that Carte d’Or now do coffee flavoured ice cream and I literally drooled. I bought Oppo but does anyone have a simple recipe for coffee ice cream without any unusual ingredients? TIA. Oppo sent me an email saying their new flavour is Rum and Referendum (!) though my supermarket only does Choc & Hazelnut and Salted Caramel. Anyone tried it?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Rome.

Breakfast : Full English minus toast at airport. Tea.
Lunch at an Italian restaurant : I had a mixed meats and a mixed cheeses board with Diet Coke while the others had pizza.
Dinner : Just some walnuts from the UK and 200ml full fat milk.

1 x Forest Fruits gelato which was great, opposite the Colosseum. No sign of a low carb version.

96C2DAE5-168D-42D5-B9D4-677C4FF4E55F.jpeg

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awww. That took me back. Austin (we deliberately went there by train, to experience US trains (which are veeeerrrrryyyy different from UK ones!), and then stayed in one of those classic motels you see on the TV all the time. Seedy bathroom. 2 double beds. Dreadful mattresses. Coin operated vibrating bedframe! haha!!! then on to San Antonio. The river. Wandering along a street and picking an eatery at random, then SERIOUSLY regretting it, because the food was DIRE.

And everyone assuming that we wouldn't like the Tex-Mex food because it was too hot, but to us it was mild.

When my Texan friends came to stay with us here in UK, we took them to the local indian restaurant, and they nearly died of chilli poisoning, particularly the lime pickle. Can't say we didn't warn them...

Happy, happy memories. And I smile every time I see a motel on tv.

Today:
B: very late. 2 slices of Dr Almond bread (slightly less rubbery today) toasted with peanut butter on one, almond butter on the other.
L: not needed
D: will be pork shoulder steak in a cream, tarragon and mustard sauce. I would like to thicken the sauce, but frankly can't be bothered to phaff with it, so it will be a thin sauce.
Tex Mex in Houston, a favourite of mine.

Reactions: dunelm

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out at Patisserie Valerie: eggs Royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche.
Mid afternoon still out, so went to Nero’s: raspberry phd bar with a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 32239

Looks good.

And I thought Patisserie Valerie was just a cake cafe.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria glad you got the trains and cheap motels behind you! UK trains are on my bucket list. And when I visit you, DO NOT take me to your local Indian restaurant!!!! I have negative tolerance for more than one grain of simple cayenne pepper in my serving. Makes me sad, bc I love curry, but it’s the non-hot richness I go for.
Can you not simply simmer your sauce a few minutes? Or is that phaffy too.
The Trans Siberian railway is good. I haven’t been on it myself but know one or two that have including my eldest daughter.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2Mad with nibbles and dozing off mid afternoon today. The Mads were the normal avocado and mackerel salad - chia seeds and evo compulsory - for lunch. Evening meal was sausage stir fry with Nduja. Nibbles were 1 mini chorizo and 2 slices emmental. Lots of tea and 1 cocoa - soy and almond milk with 30 mls cream. Did a job. Probably not the one that involves bg control but 1 thing at a time.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@zauberflote we have a long train journey planned from Worcestershire to Dundee in Scotland - first class ( got great price) - a week after Easter and I’m so looking forward to it. In its later stages the track runs along the NE coast of Britain and Scotland and over some large estuary bridges. I’m visiting my old university town where I met my OH 44 years ago and my best friend from uni who lives fairly near us is coming along too. We were inspired by the new V and A opening as it has got great reviews.
@Goonergal the steak looks delish
I got back to swim and gym today - did an hour about 55 lengths- kept losing count! - but meant very hungry all day not helped by doing boring work on PC
Breakfast after swim bacon and egg
Lunch tin sardines in olive oil, some lc seeded crispbreads and way too many nuts! Kept going back to the nut tin ...... plus one square of 95% choc with cup of tea
Dinner two lamb chops, cauliflower cheese with small glass red wine followed by sf jelly with spoon of yoghurt and cream.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today has been rather a 'mysteries of the freezer' food day!
B - English breakfast muffin, cream cheese, Marmite
L - bag of green stuff from the freezer. Assumed it was soup. It was. Think it was spinach and something.
D - another bag of unlabelled contents. Was chicken, spinach, olives, onions. Not sure if it was with pesto or other spices. Then attempted to make some kind of teff flat bread to go with it. Flavour good but teff doesn't hold together as it is gluten free so rather than a whole flat bread, I had a considerable number of bits!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All. While shopping this morning I realised that Carte d’Or now do coffee flavoured ice cream and I literally drooled. I bought Oppo but does anyone have a simple recipe for coffee ice cream without any unusual ingredients? TIA. Oppo sent me an email saying their new flavour is Rum and Referendum (!) though my supermarket only does Choc & Hazelnut and Salted Caramel. Anyone tried it?
Was the date on the Rum and Referendum email 1st April by any chance? ;)
The Oppo choc and hazelnut is my favourite Oppo flavour.

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybel cheeses with cauliflower and broccoli salad and a few pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Waitrose ginger, chilli and lime chicken with mixed veg, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@zauberflote we have a long train journey planned from Worcestershire to Dundee in Scotland - first class ( got great price) - a week after Easter and I’m so looking forward to it. In its later stages the track runs along the NE coast of Britain and Scotland and over some large estuary bridges. I’m visiting my old university town where I met my OH 44 years ago and my best friend from uni who lives fairly near us is coming along too. We were inspired by the new V and A opening as it has got great reviews.
@Goonergal the steak looks delish
I got back to swim and gym today - did an hour about 55 lengths- kept losing count! - but meant very hungry all day not helped by doing boring work on PC
Breakfast after swim bacon and egg
Lunch tin sardines in olive oil, some lc seeded crispbreads and way too many nuts! Kept going back to the nut tin ...... plus one square of 95% choc with cup of tea
Dinner two lamb chops, cauliflower cheese with small glass red wine followed by sf jelly with spoon of yoghurt and cream.
I used to catch that train up to Aberdeen once a month. Never 1st class though. :). It was a long journey and I most often got the sleeper. My ex wife was originally from Dundee though she grew up initially in Perth itself.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. First off my contribution to the earlier curry chat @zauberflote and @Brunneria and @DCUKMod I like it hot enough to make my nose run but not so hot I can’t taste it. I love curry. Yes I make the twosleevers butter chicken regularly, had it just a few days ago, and agree it is super easy and delicious.
Re train chat @Goonergal @shelley262 and ZF we are travelling up the west coast of Scotland on the West Highland Line this summer from Glasgow to Oban- it’s meant to be one of the most scenic train journeys so we are really looking forward to it. Mr C is a train ‘enthusiast’ (no idea what the train will be like inside though.)
@Mongolia I’ve had one of those random freezer food days too as I’m trying to clear a bit if space for a beef box I’ve ordered from a local farm.
B: A boiled egg
L: mackerel & avocado salad, snap @ianpspurs , no chia seeds for me though - a few walnuts instead. SF jelly &cream afterwards.
D: Freezer stuff, still on curry theme. Rogan josh and saag paneer. Glass of red afterwards.

@Listlad hope Rome is fun, It’s on my bucket list of places to go. Lunch sounds good, but why just the walnuts at dinner? I hope it wasn’t through lack of suitable lc food?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings fr Rome.

Breakfast : Full English minus toast at airport. Tea.
Lunch at an Italian restaurant : I had a mixed meats and a mixed cheeses board with Diet Coke while the others had pizza.
Dinner : Just some walnuts from the UK and 200ml full fat milk.

1 x Forest Fruits gelato which was great, opposite the Coloseum. No sign of a low carb version.

View attachment 32259

That meat looks good @Listlad

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the date on the Rum and Referendum email 1st April by any chance? ;)
The Oppo choc and hazelnut is my favourite Oppo flavour.

I had that email too (unlike @Rachox didnt spot it was April 1st). Think the other new flavours were Eton Mess and Peanut Butter Crunch Talks!