What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Begal with tofu, tomato, green onion, vegan mayo, lettuce n shredded carrots n coffee
BG pre = 5.3
BG post = 5.3
1557076376603.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher hello to you on this thread. I check in here when I can. I love the idea of chocolate with coffee to start the day....so decadent! Though very interesting you cant tolerate chocolate or fruit cocktail bg wise later in the day. I am completely the opposite and have to eat very carefully until evening. We are all unique.
Today I had my usual breakfast one slice HiLo toast butter two mugs tea.
Late morning OH and I drove to the coast and had a four mile walk. We wrapped up well but actually it was very pleasant with no cold wind unlike yesterday. At the end we had some very excellent cod with chips for OH. It was delicious, not too big or too much batter and lovely thick flakes. Thanks to the walk my BG didnt suffer.
I have made braised beef in red wine, toms and garlic and thyme for supper but wont be having big portions and I will freeze the rest.
I have more deli food in fridge than I need for next few days....anyone ever put Scotch eggs in the freezer?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher hello to you on this thread. I check in here when I can. I love the idea of chocolate with coffee to start the day....so decadent! Though very interesting you cant tolerate chocolate or fruit cocktail bg wise later in the day. I am completely the opposite and have to eat very carefully until evening. We are all unique.
Today I had my usual breakfast one slice HiLo toast butter two mugs tea.
Late morning OH and I drove to the coast and had a four mile walk. We wrapped up well but actually it was very pleasant with no cold wind unlike yesterday. At the end we had some very excellent cod with chips for OH. It was delicious, not too big or too much batter and lovely thick flakes. Thanks to the walk my BG didnt suffer.
I have made braised beef in red wine, toms and garlic and thyme for supper but wont be having big portions and I will freeze the rest.
I have more deli food in fridge than I need for next few days....anyone ever put Scotch eggs in the freezer?

Hi :)
Thank you.
I was fed up with doing various suggested ideas in various places. Especially from my dietician who believes 100% in the NHS eatwell plate, who by the way would have apoplectic (is that how you spell it?) fit with my current idea of eating.
So I started with the idea I love chocolate, and that I love tinned fruit & cream (and other bits with it).
So found best time of day to eat them.
Then the meat and veg (but today I didn’t fancy veg at all) fitted later in the day and generally my blood glucose was good later in evening, and first thing in morning.

I shall see what happens.

Coastal walk sounds very good. Sounds like it was fresh fish in that cod and chips.

>^..^<

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the thread @gennepher

Hope you get some good ideas from the guys on here.

For me Meaty May continued with another OMAD day (a proper one today). Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib. Then whipped some cream to eat as dessert and get fat up a bit.

Exhausted as finally finished flat - spent all morning sorting and reorganising the two large cupboards that everything got stuffed into while the work was done. Early to bed and then a nice relaxing bank holiday Monday to come.
What, no seagull?:angelic:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Chook beef short rib is one of my favourites. And it seems to be almost always on offer at Waitrose - bought some more today.

I've got a big lump of brisket I'm going to dust with a spicy rub and then cook it @Goonergal style in the slow cooker tomorrow. Some for me (hot) and some for Mr C's packed work meal on Tuesday. Actually, looking at it, it might well actually do us both two days! I

I'm not actually doing Meaty May, just cutting back the other stuff.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold bbq chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar with a black coffee.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.
(No Sunday tea at the ILs this week, so no Jaffa cake! :()

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3 targets today - part 3 of one of them still to meet.
Breakfast; TWAM. low key 3 pint jobby; Mid morning 10.00; 1 tsp almond butter, 1 tblsp cream cheese in 2 sticks celery - that combo better than either ingredient on its own; Pre lunch cocoa sans cream; Lunch about 20 gms pine nuts then h/g asparagus, mushrooms and portion of leftover crustless quiche (bacon and mushroom) cooked in saved beef dripping, h/m mayo ; Evening meal: 3 chicken? thighs marinaded in mildest Nandos lemon and herb doins, broccoli. Very hungry so ate 2 babybels and chunk of oak smoked cheddar,
Nandos trial was part 1 - ok but would have been unhappy to have that if eating out. 3 half hour exercise episodes target 2 - 30 mins_ exercise bike to come. Target 3 was getting 80% plus of vitamin and mineral targets hit = done.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox how will you manage without your weekly Jaffa cake?
@Goonergal well donesorting your home enjoy your rest
@gennepher welcome to the thread look forward to your menus.
@PenguinMum fish at the seaside sounds wonderful living in midlands don’t see the sea very often!
I played truant today and went for 10 milewalk through local forests wow the bluebells this year are stunning.
Breakfast sausage and egg
Lunch coffee with cream from flask as out on hike
Dinner steak, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms with glass dry red wine followed by rhubarb with yoghurt and cream and just had decaf coffee with cream and two squares of montezumas100% absolut black chocolate.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher welcome to the thread look forward to your menus.

I played truant today and went for 10 milewalk through local forests wow the bluebells this year are stunning.
Breakfast sausage and egg
Lunch coffee with cream from flask as out on hike
Dinner steak, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms with glass dry red wine followed by rhubarb with yoghurt and cream and just had decaf coffee with cream and two squares of montezumas100% absolut black chocolate.

Thank you!

Your day in bluebell woods sounds good!

>^..^<

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook beef short rib is one of my favourites. And it seems to be almost always on offer at Waitrose - bought some more today.
Hi have eyed up the beef shortrib at Waitrose but havent tried it. I dont like pork belly but have you any suggestions how to cook it without anything other than an oven or pans. TIA.

Reactions: shelley262

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs how wonderful to grow your own asparagus!
There was a bed here that my dad started but I moved things around plus was over enthusiastic with a rotavator, The new bed is just getting properly established as we are selling up will have to start again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still have family round and staying overnight so just a quick post for me.
B: boiled egg with asparagus to dip.
Late lunch: The DD pesto chicken and feta - a good meal for feeding a crowd- with buttered cabbage ( and new potatoes for those who wanted them). Cheese afterwards and red wine during. Found these crackers in Asda, 3.9 g carbs each. Good for emergency cheese and biscuit occasions when there are no lc seedy crackers around.
IMG_7295.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have eyed up the beef shortrib at Waitrose but havent tried it. I dont like pork belly but have you any suggestions how to cook it without anything other than an oven or pans. TIA.
I love the short rib you could do it slow cooked in sealed casserole in low temp oven just like other casseroles but for longer time as bigger bits. Fat just melts away. I use cheap slow cooker as so easy just stick in after breakfast with stock and leave all day!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still have family round and staying overnight so just a quick post for me.
B: boiled egg with asparagus to dip.
Late lunch: The DD pesto chicken and feta - a good meal for feeding a crowd- with buttered cabbage ( and new potatoes for those who wanted them). Cheese afterwards and red wine during. Found these crackers in Asda, 3.9 g carbs each. Good for emergency cheese and biscuit occasions when there are no lc seedy crackers around.
View attachment 32755
These wOuld be great for OH and mum who are lowering carbs but don’t want to go too low well done on finding them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the short rib you could do it slow cooked in sealed casserole in low temp oven just like other casseroles but for longer time as bigger bits. Fat just melts away. I use cheap slow cooker as so easy just stick in after breakfast with stock and leave all day!
Thanks so much.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed fish, salad.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Short rib can easily be done in the oven. Simply add about 100mls of water to a roasting tin, add the short rib, cover tin with foil and cook on a low temperature (gas 3) for about 2.5 to 3 hours. The meat juices do me for gravy - not a big one for sauces, but sure the sauce that @Chook mentioned for her short rib yesterday would work just as well using a pan.

This method works for short rib weighing half a kilo to 600g ish (pre cooked weight), so adjust if cooking more or less.

Enjoy!