Best low carb food for satiety?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's your go-to for reducing appetite? Mine is melted cheese with mushrooms, it seems to flip a switch. I must get a good stock of slow cooked mushrooms in the freezer again.

Another that seems to have done the trick today is avocado - I've had to work on liking them but I'm getting there now.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I find a Salmon or Beef steak has the biggest impact on my feeling of fullness.

Reactions: jpscloud
M

Member496333

For me it depends what my body currently wants more of - fat or protein - but I find raw liver to be uniquely satisfying. It slays hunger unlike anything else.

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Mines cabbage with butter and white pepper...bit of meat on the side...delicious.......x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double espresso with cream, pork scratchings, olives, cheese, walnuts... Those tide me over until I have a proper meal.

...And now I want an espresso.:)

Reactions: jpscloud and ert

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is just plain hunger, then I can eat anything low carb and carnivorish, and that sorts it out. Keto macros work best for me.

But if it is any kind of craving, then I default to a low carb hot choc (600mls of hot water, double cream, pure cocoa powder and erythritol).
This fools my body into thinking it got the sweet stuff it wanted, while filling me up and giving me the satisfaction of the cream.

Or cheese. Cheese works for anything, anywhere, anytime. cheese is good.

Reactions: jjraak and ert

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it is just plain hunger, then I can eat anything low carb and carnivorish, and that sorts it out. Keto macros work best for me.

But if it is any kind of craving, then I default to a low carb hot choc (600mls of hot water, double cream, pure cocoa powder and erythritol).
This fools my body into thinking it got the sweet stuff it wanted, while filling me up and giving me the satisfaction of the cream.

Or cheese. Cheese works for anything, anywhere, anytime. cheese is good.
Your last line. :happy::woot::woot:

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

Cheese is great, but it’s worth remembering for those who are sensitive to it, that it’s often a pretty dense source of protein. Very easy to double the level of protein in a meal by carving blocks of cheese into it with a chainsaw. For some people this can materialise as glucose and can undo some of the best intentions in avoiding carbohydrate. Just saying.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese is great, but it’s worth remembering for those who are sensitive to it, that it’s often a pretty dense source of protein. Very easy to double the level of protein in a meal by carving blocks of cheese into it with a chainsaw. For some people this can materialise as glucose and can undo some of the best intentions in avoiding carbohydrate. Just saying.
Wouldn’t that be the case with any protein, meat, fish, eggs, legumes, nuts etc?

Reactions: Venkat K

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me it depends what my body currently wants more of - fat or protein - but I find raw liver to be uniquely satisfying. It slays hunger unlike anything else.
Raw liver would instantly get rid of my appetite without even eating it :hungover: I do like it cooked with bacon and onions though :)

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A teaspoon of peanut or almond butter does it for me at midnight when I get hungry before bed!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunno really - have not been hungry since that huge pork chop just after diagnosis - or maybe it was the steak cooked on the barbecue I lit with all the diet sheets from the surgery - can't quite remember now, it was back in 2016

M

Member496333

Raw liver would instantly get rid of my appetite without even eating it :hungover: I do like it cooked with bacon and onions though :)

To each their own. Personally I find it satisfying like no other food. Including cooked liver.

M

Member496333

Wouldn’t that be the case with any protein, meat, fish, eggs, legumes, nuts etc?

Certainly. Just thought cheese worth mentioning since it’s often added to meals with impunity, and some may not be aware that it’s often ~20% protein, not dissimilar to meat. Easy to double the protein content of a meal without realising.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 egg, two egg white omelet with some kind of non starchy veg is a good for me, I can make it through a morning and most of the afternoon on that and coffee. I usually just precook brusell sprouts and cauliflower, take them out of the fridge warm them up in the frypan before adding the eggs. Mung bean sprouts if one has the carb allowance (250g of sprouts is about 10g carbs) for them go great in an omelet as well, but I save them for Sunday brunch when I add bacon and mung bean sprouts to make a really good and filling omelet .