What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These look interesting. Never thought of a tool like that. Must get some. Wonder if they would be any good for icing bags.
I have this from Lakeland for Piping Bags which adjusts for any size of bag.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18253/Piping-Bag-Holder

Piping bags were messy things before I got this.
The other one should work too but this one wouldn't work for zip locks.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this from Lakeland for Piping Bags which adjusts for any size of bag.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18253/Piping-Bag-Holder

Piping bags were messy things before I got this.
The other one should work too but this one wouldn't work for zip locks.

Thanks for that @maglil55. I do get things from Lakeland but didn't notice that. I usually use an old knickerbocker glory glass - tall, conical but fairly narrow - one of the many bits of junk I have kept from my mother's cupboards. I mean - who makes knickerbocker glories these days? Anyway, I could do with something a bit wider. Do you know what diameter the Lakeland one is?

Edited to remove another typo - my fingers no longer follow instructions from my brain!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New avatar is youngest sons dog Cooper dressed for dinner!
Busy day as car in garage, brakes had to have parts replaced so usual hefty garage bill. Meant that stuck to one meal and through day kept going with coffee and black tea.
Dinner Cajun chicken, spinach and mushrooms stir fried in butter and spoon of coleslaw with one glass dry white wine pudding raspberry clafoutis with full fat Greek yoghurt and decaff coffee and cream.
Hoping to do long walk tomorrow to balance hecticness of today.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its official! I am a very bad girl! Went into the tv (and dart) room today and encountered open tub of Quality Street. Had 4 Purples, since I stopped participating nobody else bothers with them. The shame.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Decorations all down now and the place looks bare, even though we’d pared down the amount drastically this year knowing Dennis wouldn’t be able to resist chewing anything with his reach. Last day of family staying over too so it is very peaceful now.
B:a couple of the leftover fathead dough canapé bases topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon. CWC
L: Out at a pub: 8oz rump steak with steamed greens dressed in hazelnut oil. Drank water.
D: might be some cheese&lc crakers or a cheese omelette. Fridge is still full of cheese.
@PenguinMum I actually chucked some sprouts out yesterday, well done you for ploughing through them. ( mine were decidedly manky looking)
@shelley262 love the new avatar.
@Tipetoo safe journey.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Alongside WCM (World Carnivore Month), I’m also participating in Organuary - the PHC’s campaign to get people eating more organ meat. Two experiments for me today (never been one for offal so this is a big step!).

Lunch was air fried chicken skins (got some free from the butcher @ziggy_w ) which became the vehicles for some chicken liver terrine that was in offer in Waitrose. The skins were fab, the terrine just about palatable, but won’t be rushing for more.

Dinner was chicken thighs marinated in olive oil and lemon and air fried (more delicious skin) with a side of fried pancetta and pigs liver. Not for me, either on texture or flavour (quite apart from the amount of prep time).

Bone broth has been successfully made and bagged up for the freezer, with one portion forming the base for tomorrow’s dinner, which is another experiment.

Editing to add pics

8C402DE0-3A48-4683-9B23-09640C3E54A3.jpeg
333BCC9B-FF15-4088-A001-D232D12DF72B.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had dinner - I was going to use up leftovers by making a kind of sloppy joe with chaffles but I decided in the end to make a kind of burrito. The mince that I had was already cooked, but coarser than I like it so I blitzed it along with some onion (fried in butter) and some Philadelphia cheese. That made a paste to roll up inside 2 Chaffle pancakes (made with grated cheddar and with a little milk to make it spread more easily in the frying pan). Topped the 2 burritos with a little passata and some grated cheddar. Tasted good but another time I might add a little cream and a bit more salt to the meat paste to make it a bit more moist. I'm absolutely stuffed - one burrito was too much but I was determined to finish it. There's another to have another time and about as much of the paste left to make something else.
S3500001.JPG
S3500002.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

Alongside WCM (World Carnivore Month), I’m also participating in Organuary - the PHC’s campaign to get people eating more organ meat. Two experiments for me today (never been one for offal so this is a big step!).

Lunch was air fried chicken skins (got some free from the butcher @ziggy_w ) which became the vehicles for some chicken liver terrine that was in offer in Waitrose. The skins were fab, the terrine just about palatable, but won’t be rushing for more.

Dinner was chicken thighs marinated in olive oil and lemon and air fried (more delicious skin) with a side of fried pancetta and pigs liver. Not for me, either on texture or flavour (quite apart from the amount of prep time).

Bone broth has been successfully made and bagged up for the freezer, with one portion forming the base for tomorrow’s dinner, which is another experiment.

Editing to add pics

View attachment 37584 View attachment 37585

Had veg soup today, so that wasn't carnivore but I am trying to go down that path. I've actually always liked kidneys, liver and hearts, and even tripe back then as a child - my mother used to use quite a lot of offal - more easily available in the late 40's and 50's than other meat so we were quite used to eating it. My husband hated all offal so I got out of the habit of cooking it. Now, I am trying to figure out how Mum cooked all of those delicious dishes, because I haven't, so far, been able to replicate them. (Should have asked for her recipes while she was still here.)

My favourite was a sheep's heart stuffed with something or other (can't remember what) but one thing I could never put in my mouth was any kind of tongue - just the texture put me right off.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday #2: Black coffee no sugars which was about all we had on the forty minute flight down to Perth in a Fokker
Lunch #1: Roast of the day and veggies from a food outlet at Perth airport, while waiting for our flight.
Lunch #2: QANTAS mystery food box again, whisky and peanuts on the 737 to Brisbane.
Dinner #1: T bone steak and salad at a food outlet at Brisbane airport, while killing time for the Bundaberg flight.
Dinner #2: Black coffee no sugar, did not eat was on offer on the Dash 8 to Bundy.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had good flights back from the other side of the country in three different aircraft.

We got home safe and sound, tired and happy to be back in our own home again.
I am so upset to see what is going on in your beautiful country. With the worst areas being coastal I do not understand why they cant use the water from the ocean to help or am I missing it? Hope you and yours stay safe.

D

Deleted member 308541

With the worst areas being coastal I do not understand why they cant use the water from the ocean to help or am I missing it?
I think that one of the reasons they do not use it because of the aircraft with internal tanks is corrosion from the salt, might be ok for choppers with buckets though.

Hope you and yours stay safe.
The fires are mainly under control around our area, thank you for your wishes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that one of the reasons they do not use it because of the aircraft with internal tanks is corrosion from the salt, might be ok for choppers with buckets though.

The fires are mainly under control around our area, thank you for your wishes.
Thank you for explaining. I feel so much for all the cars of families stacked up on the Princess highway with little ones and all the stress involved not knowing how long their ordeal will endure. God bless and be kind to them all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so upset to see what is going on in your beautiful country. With the worst areas being coastal I do not understand why they cant use the water from the ocean to help or am I missing it? Hope you and yours stay safe.

The salt from the seawater would prevent anything growing on the land, until it had washed away from rain - which isn’t that available in Oz.

Ever heard of the phrase ‘salted earth’?
Armies used to do it if they had conquered an area, but couldn’t stay around to guard it. They knew it would fall back out of their control, but rather than let their enemy use the land for crops and livestock, they would spread salt on the fields to prevent crops growing there.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Editing to add pics

View attachment 37584 View attachment 37585

Will attempt Organuary with you as I’m an abject failure at carnivore. I quite like liver: calves liver is more expensive, but to my mind very much nicer than pigs, it’s not as strong tasting and only requires a quick flash fry. My auntie used to make a nice kidney dish, (like you @Annb I wish I’d asked at the time how it was made) it had sherry and cream in too ( very 1970s) but I’ve not eaten them since the smell of autoclaved urine samples in the lab I worked at reminded a colleague of the smell of the kidneys in his Sunday morning fry up! I will try again, maybe a steak and kidney thing.
I’m with you on the deliciousness of air fried chicken skin - I used to hate it but since I’ve had the af I love it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will attempt Organuary with you as I’m an abject failure at carnivore. I quite like liver: calves liver is more expensive, but to my mind very much nicer than pigs, it’s not as strong tasting and only requires a quick flash fry. My auntie used to make a nice kidney dish, it had sherry and cream in too ( very 1970s) but I’ve not eaten them since the smell of autoclaved urine samples in the lab I worked at reminded a colleague of the smell of the kidneys in his Sunday morning fry up! I will try again, maybe a steak and kidney thing.
I’m with you on the deliciousness of air fried chicken skin - I used to hate it but since I’ve had the af I love it.

And my post should have said pig kidney not liver! It was a real faff to prepare too. I’ve already more than fulfilled my 2 lots of organ meat this week - and the best news is that tail counts! I might give calves liver a go.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: last of the pigs in blankets, cauliflower and broccoli salad and coleslaw followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame ‘spaghetti’, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And my post should have said pig kidney not liver! It was a real faff to prepare too. I’ve already more than fulfilled my 2 lots of organ meat this week - and the best news is that tail counts! I might give calves liver a go.

Is the challenge to eat organ meat twice a week?