What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoked mackerel pate on RyVita for breakfast before going to town with Neil - he went to the supermarket for me but took me so that I could go to the delicatessen in town to see if they had any decent ham. He couldn't have done that because all meat is a no no for him. Luckily, third time around the town, we got a parking space right outside the shop so I could get into it. Just about killed my legs but I did get some ham (packaged already, unfortunately), some half decent looking chorizo (also prepacked) and a small jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil.

For later I have some salmon with which I shall have a cucumber salad.

Just realised, that will be 2 fish meals today - both oily. I should have had some of the chicken liver pate instead.

Finally got the diabetes nurse on the phone. She's OK now with the amount of insulin I am taking and says just carry on with the Toujeo and the Fiasp, even though the amount I am taking is just as high as the Lantus and the Humilin S. I told her that this level is sort of working (BG around 11 or so) just so long as I stick with the low carb way of eating but if I eat carbs BG goes right to the top of the scale on my meter so she's reasonably OK with the low carbs as well. She says she'll ask the dietician to give me a call. I'll be polite, because that's the way I was brought up but I can't think she'll have anything to add to the conversation, except to eat more carbs anyway.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Feeling much better today. Thank you for all the good wishes and hugs, everyone. For those of you still feeling under the weather, hope things will be looking up soon.

Also finally ordered an icecream maker (really an absolute luxury and there is no way I could really justify needing it), but I'm absolutely looking forward to it. Should be delivered by the end of the month, arriving all the way from Italy.

51jCTtNHk0L._AC_SX522_.jpg

So, here's what I had yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

Dinner: About 100g of my husbands döner kebab (just the meat). 20g of 88% chocolate. Some dry red wine.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2 egg mushroom omelette, cup of tea, cup of coffee (black)
Cup of coffee (cream)
Salad (lettuce, cheese, avacado, tomatoes, olive oil), yogurt drink.
Don't know yet what I'll have for evening meal. Probably fish.

Lord, how I'd love a few slices of toast and marmite!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Glad you’re feeling better @ziggy_w and that’s a very impressive ice cream maker.

Unlike @Annb I seem to have gone right off fish. Took the Morrison’s sea bass with lemon that @maglil55 flagged up a while ago out of the freezer a couple of days ago and just haven’t fancied it.

TMAD again today. Lunch was mince fried with onions and 3 small eggs.
Dinner was the most delicious air fried lamb ribs, just salted. Got the fatty skins to just the right crispiness/juiciness ratio.

Does anyone else play ‘guess which will be the most delicious’ with such food items?

17B61E76-F573-43CF-8A88-320F191027E7.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else play ‘guess which will be the most delicious’ with such food items?
No, with foods where this might be a thing, I simply try a bite from each to determine which one to save for last :happy:.
Before diabetes, the few times I had a box of different chocolates, every chocolate had a small bite missing so I could arrange them in order of eating. Pink filling has to be eaten before progressing to the good ones!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely! Those filled with nuts or toffee get (got) saved to last.
The horror when trying to act somewhat sophisticated by not sampling and saving the pretty dark one for last, only to find out there was one of those yucky pink ones in the box after all!

Although the risk with lamb ribs is smaller of course, as they're all good :)

As for chocolate, nowadays I have solved this problem by having my friends bite off a corner so I can see inside and ask for their opinion. Whoever has the most promising one will be forced to let me have a bite as well before finishing it! I'm not going to mess with diabetes for a pink filled chocolate!
Yes, this has earned me some strange looks from other people present, but my closer friends get it :p

Tonight I'll try my luck with pulses again: marrowfat peas with fried onions and spicy chorizo sausages. A traditional Dutch food (except the sausages are supposed to be bacon, but I have sausages in the fridge, so sausages it is).
Beans are still somewhat of a mystery. I don't eat them often enough to really get the hang of dosing for them, although I do know I need much less insulin than their carb count suggests.

Pretty sure it'll taste lovely though!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@David_A_Hughes love your avatar!!
@Goonergal as in saving the most folded crunchiest Cape Cod 40% Less Fat (much tastier than regular kind!) potato chip (ONLY ON VACATION lolol) for last? Yes! Also I save the thickest parts of my flax crisp slab for last. Thank goodness my chocolate is consistent. @Antje77 I am totally with you on the box chocolates but just don't eat them any more. American ones are sawdust compared to yours anyway, I'm sure, so why bother, right?
Yesterday evening I had an olive feast. Got my son to go to the one place I know of that has good Castelvetrano olives, and he bought lots-- I filled two quart Mason jars. Then ate so many I had to throw the pits away out of guilt. Yum.
Today Thursday
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled eggs 2, flax crisps/dilute soy, Lindt 90% which lasted nearly til I declared lunch
Lunch cottage cheese, <1/4 square Lindt for a total of <2 squares.
Supper, if I ate pork, would be whatever the slow cooker does to the formerly frozen thick pork chops in canned (sorry) chicken broth, marsala, Worcestershire, h/m salad dressing, and a splop or two of a sweet barbecue sauce. Intended for pulled pork. No idea what will happen. But I don't eat that....(if it were chicken, oh yes!) so there will be spinach/hm dressing, cherry tomatoes, flax crisps/dilute soymilk and who knows what. Sardines maybe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
TWAM and CWC until lunchtime. Toast (skinny bread), wafer thin chicken and bone broth with ACV as lunch. Mackerel in Evo and avocado salad with seeds and vinaigrette as main meal. Struggling to make peace with this WOE for about 2 years now. There are far worse management programmes for other conditions out there and no one thinks enjoyment is necessary. Ice cream maker looking good @ziggy_w.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Will catch up with your many posts as soon as can but wanted to get back on it recording my food:
Today
Brunch one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle followed by a DGF chocolate mint brownie - tastes like a mix of after eight and chocolate fudge, yum
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine - pudding a few berries from garden with DGF bakewell with extra thick cream.
Think would like to draw a line under previous three days as had a fair bit of angst - will spare you too many details but home now hopefully for a week or so. Food wise comforters included too much food generally although mainly low carb grub but also did have a few fries one day and some lower carb toast yesterday in desperation ( not that low carb as was the hovis version but was the only one available) - still moving all mums heavy furniture to prepare for her booked carpet fitting and then having to put it all back when they let us down and didn’t turn up probably counts as resistance exercise or weight training but performed whilst feeling stressed and angry!
Booked in for swimming in am crossing fingers will be able to get back to it. Also catching up with my paid work hopefully over next 4 days.........

Reactions: zauberflote

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb, @zauberflote, @Goonergal -- Thanks for the the lovely get-well wishes.
@Annb -- Have you had any news of your granddaughter?
@zauberflote -- The bread looks fabulous. How did you get it to rise? Was it just the eggs?
@ianpspurs -- Does the ACV help your blood sugars? Or do you just enjoy the taste? Any news on your DIL?
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs -- Thanks for heads up on the icecream maker -- it's the smallest model by this maker, but still a whopping 18kg (was also considering the next larger model with 30kg, but thought this probably would have been overdoing it).
@Antje77 -- Learned early never to leave the best piece for last because my younger sister would invariably ask to have it. If I refused to give it to her, my mother would scold me for being selfish.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan and fried mushrooms. A few slices of the ribeye (yes, it was huge) cooked sous vide and then fried and cauliflower mashed with butter and potato fiber. About 20g of 88% chocolate and some dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will catch up with your many posts as soon as can but wanted to get back on it recording my food:
Today
Brunch one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle followed by a DGF chocolate mint brownie - tastes like a mix of after eight and chocolate fudge, yum
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine - pudding a few berries from garden with DGF bakewell with extra thick cream.
Think would like to draw a line under previous three days as had a fair bit of angst - will spare you too many details but home now hopefully for a week or so. Food wise comforters included too much food generally although mainly low carb grub but also did have a few fries one day and some lower carb toast yesterday in desperation ( not that low carb as was the hovis version but was the only one available) - still moving all mums heavy furniture to prepare for her booked carpet fitting and then having to put it all back when they let us down and didn’t turn up probably counts as resistance exercise or weight training but performed whilst feeling stressed and angry!
Booked in for swimming in am crossing fingers will be able to get back to it. Also catching up with my paid work hopefully over next 4 days.........

Hugs for the days of stress and angst, @shelley262. You did impressively well foodwise considering. Hope the swim tomorrow will help you destress a bit. Hope your mother is doing well.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb, @zauberflote, @Goonergal -- Thanks for the the lovely get-well wishes.
@Annb -- Have you had any news of your granddaughter?
@zauberflote -- The bread looks fabulous. How did you get it to rise? Was it just the eggs?
@ianpspurs -- Does the ACV help your blood sugars? Or do you just enjoy the taste? Any news on your DIL?
@Goonergal and @ianpspurs -- Thanks for heads up on the icecream maker -- it's the smallest model by this maker, but still a whopping 18kg (was also considering the next larger model with 30kg, but thought this probably would have been overdoing it).
@Antje77 -- Learned early never to leave the best piece for last because my younger sister would invariably ask to have it. If I refused to give it to her, my mother would scold me for being selfish.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan and fried mushrooms. A few slices of the ribeye (yes, it was huge) cooked sous vide and then fried and cauliflower mashed with butter and potato fiber. About 20g of 88% chocolate and some dry red wine.
DIL is home and resting with help from Julie. Thank you for asking. The problem may be grumbling appendix. I really like the taste of acv not sure about the effect but this and other pieces seem supportive https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/aug/apple-cider-could-help-manage-type-2-diabetes.html.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

Glad you’re feeling better @ziggy_w and that’s a very impressive ice cream maker.

Unlike @Annb I seem to have gone right off fish. Took the Morrison’s sea bass with lemon that @maglil55 flagged up a while ago out of the freezer a couple of days ago and just haven’t fancied it.

TMAD again today. Lunch was mince fried with onions and 3 small eggs.
Dinner was the most delicious air fried lamb ribs, just salted. Got the fatty skins to just the right crispiness/juiciness ratio.

View attachment 44502

I was just saying to Neil this evening that I may have lost my sense of taste because none of the fish I have had recently tastes as it should, or even of anything. And, come to think of it, most other food tastes a bit odd these days. Maybe it's another covid thing. Who knows? Even gone off the taste (lack of) of cucumber, which is why I had pickled cucumber with my salmon this evening. At least I could taste the vinegar.

No word yet of granddaughter and her baby. This was an IV baby - her other children had a different father - so the whole thing has been very troubling, from paying for the treatment and the uncertainty about it working, to her feeling less well throughout than on previous occasions and now all her current problems. Pretty sure, whatever happens, the experience will not be repeated.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt with chopped nuts and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: mature cheddar and mushroom omelette with a leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I'll try my luck with pulses again: marrowfat peas with fried onions and spicy chorizo sausages. A traditional Dutch food (except the sausages are supposed to be bacon, but I have sausages in the fridge, so sausages it is).
Beans are still somewhat of a mystery. I don't eat them often enough to really get the hang of dosing for them, although I do know I need much less insulin than their carb count suggests.

Pretty sure it'll taste lovely though!
It did!
I added some 'Amsterdamse uitjes', small yellow pickled onions as well. Traditionally, this dish is served with piccalilly but I didn't have any. The Amsterdamse uitjes worked very well too though :hungry:

The pulses were 9 gr of carbs per 100, according to the pot, the pickled onions too, sausage less than 1, and I have no clue how much a full plate of food weighs. I ate an hour ago with a rather small dose of insulin, but I see a steep rise now, so I added some more insulin.
Now wait and see, and tomorrow I'll have a better idea as to how much to inject for the same meal :)
121149028_10221971218183890_6890675763290122265_o.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made the mistake last evening of bringing the 90% chocolate bar into the lounge, so ate about 6 squares. Usually its just one square and the bar stays in the fridge. Tummy was grumbling when I went to bed, not surprisingly

B ff greek with choc granola
L cheese and mushroom omelette with small side salad
D pub meal as out last night here. Roasted cauliflower and truffle soup with h/m dark bread. I had one tiny slice and gave rest to hubby. Soup was very tasty
Then beef keema curry. I asked them to swap the listed rice, naan and poppadoms and chutney for mixed veg, with they did, and very nice but very filling it all was too.
Only drank tea and water as have been feeling am putting on weight. Can't wait to get back home and weigh.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Et voila (or as they seem to say here, walla, spelled "viola"! I have a few viola playing friends who are scratching their heads....), the zweiback! Before second baking, it was dense, moist, and held together better than I had expected. I didn't dry it out all the way, but it will be very easy to eat. Stored airtight for Friday.
View attachment 44494

This looks really good. Great tablecloth too!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Today I have been determined to eat because I have been unwell with covid and the dreadful taste complications hit me, which added to nausea have made eating and drinking difficult.

I'd barely eaten for days, was getting a bit dehydrated and weak and realised that I needed to look after myself.

Today, breakfast - a handful of blueberries
lunch - homemade vegetable and bean soup from freezer
dinner - m&s beefburger with cheese and salad (made by my lovely husband)

Everything tastes of vinegar and a cup of tea makes me gag.

I am finding being ill and doing low carb really difficult. Does anyone have any low carb confort food suggestions?

The covid symptoms have been awful. I will be so happy to get better and get my family all well again.

Keep well and safe.