What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’d guess all are equally delicious.
To add to @Antje77 ‘s method of deciding on chocolates, my dad when offered a box of chocolates would poke his finger in the top of each one. He didn’t like soft centres so left them in the box with a big finger hole in them. If his finger didn’t sink in, that meant a hard centre which he liked, so he’d eat it. My brother and I were always dismayed by the time we got a look in to see a box of battered prodded chocs - not quite so delicious looking as they had been!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w so glad to read you are feeling better, That ice cream maker is a really impressive looking bit of kit, I’m looking forward to seeing the results.
I’m still quite behind on posts so today’s food before I forget:
Black coffee ( lots) until around 2pm then a ham, cheese and salad sandwich made with the Seriously Low Carb bread. So good to have a sandwich again!
Dinner: rest of family wanted fish and chips from local chippy. I had 2 steamed fish with salad and tartare sauce ( trick I learned from Slimming World years ago - most chippies will happily do you a steamed rather than battered fish if you ask). DGF brownie and cream to follow.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I can imagine something with cream and extra dark chocolate :hungry:.
Or coffee? This summer tried but failed to get Tia Maria for flavouring icecream. If you add alcohol it doesn't set so hard.
Idea was
whipped cream,
Strong coffee,
Tia Maria
Sweetener if needed.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 tearing hair out in sympathy with you!!
@ziggy_w yes, the eggs rose it, but like a quiche it collapsed quickly. Since I only mean to bake it for grandbaby-minding days, I don't worry too much about the weird flavor!
@ianpspurs thanks for the DIL/Julie update. I suppose appendix is better than some things but ugh anyway.
@Annb that would be awful if your covid cost you your enjoyment of food. I'm sorry! My grandbaby is the product of much IVF due to a rare and raging type of endometriosis so my heart goes out to yours even more.
@Bex72 somewhere up the thread a ways is a conversation about Lizza pasta and macaroni cheese. I am glad you're eating, even if it all tastes nasty. I hope all of you improve rapidly!
Goodnight all, good morning soon enough!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding being ill and doing low carb really difficult. Does anyone have any low carb confort food suggestions?

Sorry you’re having such a horrid time. Some comfort food ideas which are also quick and easy to prepare!

- Cream cheese mixed with double cream - whip it if you have the inclination, for a mousse like effect. Add 90% chocolate if that floats your boat. Actually whipped cream, with or without cream cheese mixed with all manner of things is quick and tasty . Try nut butters too.
- Small pieces of cheese - even nicer melted in a ramekin
- Boiled eggs mashed with butter or scrambled eggs

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Sorry you’re having such a horrid time. Some comfort food ideas which are also quick and easy to prepare!

- Cream cheese mixed with double cream - whip it if you have the inclination, for a mousse like effect. Add 90% chocolate if that floats your boat. Actually whipped cream, with or without cream cheese mixed with all manner of things is quick and tasty . Try nut butters too.
- Small pieces of cheese - even nicer melted in a ramekin
- Boiled eggs mashed with butter or scrambled eggs
Thanks Goonergal,
I had some mascarpone cheese in the fridge so had a spoonful with grated dark chocolate and some berries. I'm drinking hot water with a drop of lemon juice. I'll have to add whipping cream to the shopping list (and then keep it away from my daughter). Take care x

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Goonergal,
I had some mascarpone cheese in the fridge so had a spoonful with grated dark chocolate and some berries. I'm drinking hot water with a drop of lemon juice. I'll have to add whipping cream to the shopping list (and then keep it away from my daughter). Take care x

Personally, I whip double cream, or even make clotted cream from extra thick clotted cream (the latter in the electric cauldron - aka pressure cooker).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG down to 9.5 this morning and now down to 7.4. Must be getting on the right track.

However, feeling very odd today - not hypo kind of odd, just grotty kind of odd. Went to the local shop this morning. Everyone was complaining about the cold but I was far too hot and sore lungs again. Came home and checked - temperature was OK (36.5) but pulse was 105 and sats 89. Sweaty but cold to the touch. Seems to have settled down now but still a bit dizzy and headachy - not my usual problem. Hope I haven't found something else to go down with.

The rest of my fruit bushes arrived in the post. I was looking at some others as well, but must get the ones I have, planted up first.

Breakfast was 2 RyVita with the ham that I bought yesterday.

Dinner will be lamb neck, stewed with some onion.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 3rd 3.30 start in a row so a low key day again. TWAM- lots - and AM Latte - 800 mls- until lunchtime. Cheese and cucumber skinny bread sandwich, tea. Cooked salmon (220 gms?)+2 mushrooms+2 large tomatoes, added a variety of leaves and mayo to the plate. Feel a little despondent about that as though I have been weak just because I'm tired. T2 is always prowling about waiting for me to slip up as it were. I’m just not blessed with ecumenical tastes food wise. I am pleased for you all as I read your menus but curious as I am, I know it is/was silly for me to try them. @Annb, yes let's hope you haven't found another problem.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD again.

Spotted early on that the day might run away so ate breakfast of 2 small pork belly strips cut into pieces, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried. Good decision - meetings all the way from 9am to end of day.
Dinner was 2 Barnsley lamb chops and 1 chicken thigh. Salted and air fried.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bex72 so sorry to hear you’ve been poorly - my comfort food is low carb sweet stuff such as 100% chocolate, DGF brownies or bits of cheese, another option is a hot drink with cream - hot chocolate? Take care and hope you start picking up soon.
More normal day today - a paid work day, working from home, that started with an early morning swim - we had to clear an icy windscreen early this am but well worth it for the stress relieving swim.
Decided on a three small meal day to break up the work day
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle.
Lunch a few bits of cheese with walnuts followed by one 100% montezumas peanut butter egg
Mid pm DGF mint brownie
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, asparagus and celeriac chips followed by a DGF lemon and blueberry cake with a few garden berries and cream.
Another work day planned for tomorrow.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb how weird! I get "dizzy"-- vestibular symptoms-- with almost any change in weather, but that doesn't explain the 89 and sore lungs. I hope it goes away NOW!
@ianpspurs you are a better soldier than I; three impossibles lack-of-sleeps in a row and you're not eatjng everything in the kitchen, which is my reaction after only one bad night! Ha -- then I read your comment about "weak just because tired". Tomorrow is another day. I really hope you get better sleep!
Bfast that zweiback with all of my usual breakfast in it/dilute soymilk. It's not particularly flavorful, and I miss the separate flavors of my foods BUT I didn't spill a single thing on me and ate most of it on the drive to grandson's. Win!
Lunch two kinds of swiss-ish cheese, spoon of peanut butter
No idea what supper will be but definitely spinach/hm dressing and flax crisps/dilute soymilk, cherry tomatoes&olives.
Today another in a lovely string of beautiful days but will have remnants of (now) Tropical Storm Delta over the weekend. Then more mild sunshine. I love this about Virginia-- October can be the most beautiful month of the year.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb how weird! I get "dizzy"-- vestibular symptoms-- with almost any change in weather, but that doesn't explain the 89 and sore lungs. I hope it goes away NOW!
@ianpspurs you are a better soldier than I; three impossibles lack-of-sleeps in a row and you're not eatjng everything in the kitchen, which is my reaction after only one bad night! Ha -- then I read your comment about "weak just because tired". Tomorrow is another day. I really hope you get better sleep!
Bfast that zweiback with all of my usual breakfast in it/dilute soymilk. It's not particularly flavorful, and I miss the separate flavors of my foods BUT I didn't spill a single thing on me and ate most of it on the drive to grandson's. Win!
Lunch two kinds of swiss-ish cheese, spoon of peanut butter
No idea what supper will be but definitely spinach/hm dressing and flax crisps/dilute soymilk, cherry tomatoes&olives.
Today another in a lovely string of beautiful days but will have remnants of (now) Tropical Storm Delta over the weekend. Then more mild sunshine. I love this about Virginia-- October can be the most beautiful month of the year.
Well done for not spilling a single drop and the joy of October in Va?. The weak because tired comment was because of a 2nd tomato not any weakness per se. Not sure what one could possibly snack on or comfort eat that is LC so nothing hard there. You get a winner for living in a blue state.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 eggs scrambled with mozzarella
L: h/m veg soup, 90% lindt 2 squares
D: meatballs, courgette and a sprinkle mozzarella. 4 squares 85% lidl

Eyes and head have been threatening a migraine off and on. Think its the weather, feels very oppressive. Now back home after a week away.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate brownie phd bar.
Mid afternoon: handful of pecans and a black coffee.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, coleslaw, leafy salad and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Omad and a bit today
Breakfast/ brunch in a bit of a rush so 2 slices of smoked cheese straight out of the packet.
Lunch about 2pm was a Cobb salad, must be at least a couple of days since I’ve had this! Very filling so wasn’t hungry by dinner time and decided to skip it.
( I am hungry now btw but it’s too late to eat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Missed lots of days and posts.
breakfast as usual 2 CWC and nut granola
CWC
Lunch one slice pain kapnor toast, avocado mashed with marmite water and tea
Cup of tea and three ersatz jaffa cakes.
Dinner MrSlim made a beef casserole. Had mine with cauliflower and mangetout he had potatoes as well
Pudding, we were gifted a bag of windfall pears, MrSlim poached four in spiced white wine. Some sugar, but not much.drinks water
Coffee
Wine, lemon tea

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs ha! I just eat more LC food until suddenly L stands for Lots....
@MrsA2 sorry for the migraine threat. Mine shows up as vestibular weirdness, so I stagger around corners every time a front comes through!
@Rachox I am sprawled on the floor after a barre class here and your mention of pecans may be what gets me up-- that's what I can start supper with yay!!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been missing for a few days, not firing on all cylinders this week!
Yesterday had my usual breakfast of slice HiLo toast, butter and tea after again failing to get the bread on my C&C I did a 38 mile round trip and they had two loaves!
lunch was coleslaw, Emmental and a tomato. Supper was cod loin and scallops, didnt need anything else.
Today same brekkie. Lunch will be slice HiLo toast puled with egg mayo.
Supper h/m chicken curry maybe cauli rice or broccoli.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Was out yesterday and didn'tmget to post.

@Bex72 -- Hugs for feeling badly due to Covid. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be feeling better soon. Thinking of you.
@DJC3 -- Thanks for your kind wishes. Hugs for going to bed hungry.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. About 10g of 88% chocolate.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami.

Out for a couple of glasses of dry red wine.

Upon returning home: Some of my husband's döner (only the meat about 50g).

Got hungry late at nigh: So another half keto roll with butter and turkey salami, a side of different cheeses.