What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD again. Hungry this morning so ate a tin of sardines and some tuna before heading out for the day.
Courtesy of the Instant Pot returned home to delicious beef short ribs. Still peckish afterwards so topped up with some cream cheese mixed with double cream.

11EC6DA8-D7D5-4154-A079-CAC9A08B11F9.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
could do with losing soem more weight so starting tracking again.
B: ff greek with seeds
L: hot chicken thighs from the supermarket. Ate too many
D: boys have decided they want take out curry. Will try to be good and eat small but think proper tracking will have to start tomorrow . Its not easy being the only diabetic in a family of men

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum sorry to hear you have been below par and had to chase about for bread.
5.25 start then stayed well out of everyone’s way and cobbled together a day which will be largely the same tomorrow. Food: TWAM then 800 mls CWC + SF syrup till 1.00 pm (ish). Skinny bread toast (Mestermacher tomorrow), chicken, cucumber and salad leaves, Mackerel and avocado salad (2XL) with vinaigrette and seeds. Cricket + rugby today, (NFL and football, tomorrow.) and 14 hrs of 250 + steps outside. Couldn't appear disappointed Julie is not back until Monday on a video call - oops. @zauberflote some chocologic slipped in but for transit issues so medicinal imho. Did consider pork scratchings - rinds?

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - sardines on brown toast
Dinner - tuna with celery
Lots of coffee and water

I've really lost my appitite over the past few days, not really sure whats going on
It happens. It comes back again though

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Miles behind! Wednesday - bed 7.2 FBG 7.1. We were still eating our way through the freezer and gaps are appearing finally. There are still mystery dishes in there though.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with butter.
L. 2 slices of SLC to make a sandwich with ox tongue and M&S whipped cheese. (I agree @DJC3, it makes a wonderful sandwich and it's a delight to be able to have a sandwich for lunch).
D. Another freezer raid. A chicken burger mixed with herbs, wrapped around the edge with streaky bacon and filled with pepper sauce. Nothing else with it as I'd had the sandwich too late on.
I did have 2 squares of 90% later though.
I've also had a thought with SLC bread, I wonder if it would work as bread & butter pudding? Raisins would have to be carefully rationed but you could sub some plain chocolate chips. Everything else is doable. Only downside is its a bit of an expensive pud!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday Bed 6.4 FBG 6.3. @Annb - I've had a rapid glance through the posts and it seems there is still no news on your granddaughter. Have they said anything on your results yet? I work on the principle that no news is good news. Glad to see your BGs have settled a bit though. @ianpspurs - glad to read your DIL is back and being cared for. Hopefully there will be good news for both you & @Annb at the right time. @Goonergal - that was really kind of Özil to offer to reimburse Arsenal for the wages of the Gunnerasaurus. OK, maybe he does earn more in a week than the mascot earns in a year but it was kind nonetheless.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese.
L. DGF lemon and blueberry and another TAG
D. Boys were here for dinner. They wanted cannelloni which I made earlier, Hubby was on fish from the freezer and I wasn't hungry! To keep Hubby quiet I eventually knocked together a carbonara with one of my last two Lidl protein noodles (which have vanished again).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or coffee? This summer tried but failed to get Tia Maria for flavouring icecream. If you add alcohol it doesn't set so hard.
Idea was
whipped cream,
Strong coffee,
Tia Maria
Sweetener if needed.
Can you get Kahlua? I always found that was easier to get in Europe than Tia Maria. I didn't like it as much as Tia Maria but it was suitable as a sub.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three small meals today which kept me going with my work on the PC - another half day to do tomorrow but luckily planning coffee with friends tomorrow morning at an outdoor cafe - hope sun comes out.
Breakfast scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle
Lunch lc seeded crackers with a few pieces of cheese followed by two 100% peanut butter eggs
Dinner hm chicken curry with Corriander and LC seeded crackers and two gins with soda followed by DGF coffee and walnut brownie with cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and cookies and cream phd bar.
Mid afternoon: left over prawn cocktail and some coconut bites.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, had a change (thanks to @Debandez for the idea) I tried house special foo yung and stir fried mixed veg (only budged my blood sugar from 4.8 before to 5.1 two hours later :)) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late breakfast after boot camp. Not enough bacon (cardinal sin) so Gave up my bacon sandwich and had scrambled eggs on sliced Gouda. Lots of black coffee
Lunch, just h/m chicken broth
Dinner: Chinese takeaway crispy duck with stir fry veg I did myself.
@maglil55 I’ll be interested to see how your SLC bread and butter pudding turns out.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@PenguinMum sorry to hear you have been below par and had to chase about for bread.
5.25 start then stayed well out of everyone’s way and cobbled together a day which will be largely the same tomorrow. Food: TWAM then 800 mls CWC + SF syrup till 1.00 pm (ish). Skinny bread toast (Mestermacher tomorrow), chicken, cucumber and salad leaves, Mackerel and avocado salad (2XL) with vinaigrette and seeds. Cricket + rugby today, (NFL and football, tomorrow.) and 14 hrs of 250 + steps outside. Couldn't appear disappointed Julie is not back until Monday on a video call - oops. @zauberflote some chocologic slipped in but for transit issues so medicinal imho. Did consider pork scratchings - rinds?

Chocolate is always medicinal! Who is considering pork scratchings-- you? I can not. A)I don't eat mammal meat (can't really be a vegetarian any more if I eat fowl and would be willing to try reptile, now can I) and B) my cardiologist would hit the roof, and fire me from her patient list on the rebound! Glad you got a bit more sleep. If it's the jet noise that might be the problem, have you tried a wind-noise-maker?
https://smile.amazon.com/Marpac-Classic-White-Noise-Machine/dp/B00HD0ELFK
This thing did nothing whatsoever for an (not yet known to be) autistic sleepless baby, but his "acquired sleep deficiency" mother has been using it for decades and now cannot sleep without it. It smooths out all the bumps in sound outside and inside the room. He's 30; so is the machine. Little fan inside which you can tune to the output that pleases you. No, I'm not paid to tout this

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chocolate is always medicinal! Who is considering pork scratchings-- you? I can not. A)I don't eat mammal meat (can't really be a vegetarian any more if I eat fowl and would be willing to try reptile, now can I) and B) my cardiologist would hit the roof, and fire me from her patient list on the rebound! Glad you got a bit more sleep. If it's the jet noise that might be the problem, have you tried a wind-noise-maker?
https://smile.amazon.com/Marpac-Classic-White-Noise-Machine/dp/B00HD0ELFK
This thing did nothing whatsoever for an (not yet known to be) autistic sleepless baby, but his "acquired sleep deficiency" mother has been using it for decades and now cannot sleep without it. It smooths out all the bumps in sound outside and inside the room. He's 30; so is the machine. Little fan inside which you can tune to the output that pleases you. No, I'm not paid to tout this
Thanks for the idea. Pork scratchings? yes, me. No jet noise just at the moment so that isn't a problem. 5.30 ish is fine by me I'm happy to be in bed by 10.00 - actually I'd go earlier and be up around 5.30. LC has made me wake up early I have had regular periods of 3.30 up an' at 'em - we adjusted the heating pattern to deal with this. I rarely ate chocolate before LC but even I need to supplement avocado and salad.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Spicy fish and shrimp with garlicky string beans mixed with the last of the marrowfat peas and fried onions from yesterday.
The dogs and cats loved the heads and peels of the shrimp and didn't seem to mind the ridiculous amounts of garlic and jalapeno pepper mixed in, so no waste and a clean plate :)

upload_2020-10-10_22-38-55.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2 sausages for breakfast, with a couple of RyVita.
Dinner was an attempt at the brussels sprout/cheese dish suggested by Antje (I think). Only I don't eat blue cheese so subsituted some goat's cheese. Would have been better without the cheese. It was very nice cheese, but added nothing to the dish. Very full after that. Very thirsty though.

Nothing yet about grandaughter. Last word was that they are aiming to give her a C section next Friday. We have to trust that they know what they are doing. I gather that they are planning to call the baby "Rue Ti". Not sure where that comes from or why they have chosen it. I reach the stage where I just stand back and say nothing. Might give my head a shake. I have visions of this little girl going to school and being upset by others calling her "Kanga". In English, Rue means regret or penitence. Not a good idea, I don't think. An earlier thought, for a potential boy, was Luca but No 2 son pointed out that his name would then sound like "Look-a-Swan". Anyway, it's a girl. Granddaughter's partner is a Scot, by the way, so the name doesn't come from a different culture.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast, 2x CWC nut granola, a cold sausage And then, prompted by a mention on here spoonful of peanut butter.
MrSlim decided to have a day off, so we went out, had a trip to a house clearance sale, visited a junk furniture shop and then to supermarket, where we bought small amount of groceries, but huge amount of wine. All on special offer.
Lunch very late , mid afternoon .
Ertzatz Chicken slices, lettuce, (bought, disappointing as full of aphids) half a med tomato, radish from tbe garden, home made coleslaw. Very small amount of fresh crusty bread with lots of butter. MrSlim had chosen cakes with unknown quantity of carbs. I decided to have half, but it wasn't really delicious, so will probably let him eat the remainder. We had both water and then wine with lunch.
Whether it was carbs, or wine, or boredom, dont know, but soon I got the munchies. Had another sausage and a finger of cheese. Later decided to have CWC, hoping this would stop the munchies, but while waiting for kettle to boil had another finger of cheese.
Dinner late, because lunch had been late.
Two sausages, making that four out of the six I have eaten today. With bubble and squeak, made with yesterday's boiled potatoes and some freshly steamed Savoy cabbage, topped with a fried egg. More wine and coffee and bedtime lemon tea.
Cat has had his last dose of antibiotics and the pink towel is now in the wash. Hope his poorly tummy settles quickly.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55 -- I agree with @DJC3, the bread pudding sounds really good. Looking forward to a report and some pictures (if possible) if you decide to try it.
@zauberflote -- Have you considered chicken scratchings instead? Used to have some quite regularly -- come to think of it, might order some soon again.

Much of today was spent in the kitchen, preparing stuff for the week ahead.

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Early lunch: A DD keto roll (irresistable if fresh from the oven) with butter. Some baba ghanoush.

Early dinner: Two filets of sea bass with lemon. Cauliflower mashed with butter and potato fiber. Bellpepper and zucchini in a tomato cream sauce with feta cheese.

Later: Another cup of double espresso with cream and erythritol.

Late snack: A DD keto roll with with butter and beef salami.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs just please don't tell me you're going to try chocolate-dipped avocado. I'm sure it was a thing in Montezuma's time but eww...
@Antje77 I almost had a pic of cat enjoying the dressing on my spinach but he wouldn't cooperate.
@Annb it must be frustrating not to know all the details about granddaughter but it seems they've got her past 36 weeks anyway. I looked up Rue, and found it's an herb, and also there was an American actress named Rue McClanahan. Also apparently a character name in Hunger Games. The all-wise interwebs say it's a popular girl's name these days. Ti is Cajun and Québecois for "little" or "young", from petit. All very low carb, I'm sure
@SlimLizzy hope Cat is well on the way to good health! Good grief, first it's slugs, now aphids, I'm getting nervous about my spinach cos I found a weed in it. Our farm workers out west are working under impossible stress-- don't catch covid as you don't have access to health care, and oh, don't breathe because of the smoke. I will forgive them ANYTHING, but am still nervous about slugs lol.
@ziggy_w chicken scratchings are a tasty thought but it's the saturated fat that I should be avoiding. I have never seen them commercially-- all we have is pork rinds, and I imagine them to taste like chemical preservatives. You only see them in convenience stores.
Well food will have to wait!
Good night/good morning all!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gave up my bacon sandwich and had scrambled eggs on sliced Gouda.

The ultimate sacrifice! I can quite easily walk past bakeries/cafes and smell bread/pastries without batting an eye/feeling hungry. The smell of bacon is a whole other thing. Although the eggs on Gouda sounds good too.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ultimate sacrifice! I can quite easily walk past bakeries/cafes and smell bread/pastries without batting an eye/feeling hungry. The smell of bacon is a whole other thing. Although the eggs on Gouda sounds good too.

I did feel quite saintly. I’d had quite a lot of bacon this week though so didn’t feel too deprived, I don’t think the others have it much.
Agree re the smell of bacon though - quite irresistible.